Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » West-Side Wizardry

Isabelle Jones (played by Frangod)

OOC: I’m brand new to the forums here, so I’m not sure about the protocol in creating a new, open, freeform game here, so I’m just gonna go ahead and do it. After all, it’s easier to ask forgiveness than to gain permission! The setting is a modern one; a ‘today’ that can encompass whatever feels familiar to you. It opens in Talent, OR, a teeny little town with just over 6,000 people living there. Everyone seems to know everyone else in town, as in all small towns (a quick Google search will give you location-specific details—yes, this place actually exists, though I’ve never been there or even west of the Mississippi). Magic is prominent in this game in a form closely parallel to what you find in WoD Mage: the Ascension (similar Traditions, etc., but feel free to be creative here).

I’m creating this world as I go, but if you want to add details like names of restaraunts, major historical events, what have you, go right ahead! I’ll be moderating the general narrative as far as a ‘plot’ goes, so if there’s an action that happens in a neutral tone, I’ll set it into motion and we’ll all deal with it. I’m not going to moderate fights if they happen, I leave that to you and hope that you’ll be mature enough to take any lumps that may be coming to you in the interest of the roleplay. With that said, please no character deaths in this game unless it has been expressly communicated between all affected parties. With that said, read, enjoy, and please participate!
";
Isabelle Jones (played by Frangod) Topic Starter

Isabelle “Izzy” Jones woke up and stretched in the grey light of dawn. Though she was long past a time when she had to wake up so early, she found the quiet and peace of dawn a comfort to her and loved listening to the world wake up around her. Her unflattering, faded pink pajamas hit the floor as she shuffled to the bathroom to brush her teeth, careful to close the door before turning on the light, lest Leah awaken and harangue her for her lack of consideration. Staring into the mirror while performing the morning ritual, Izzy beheld her sleep-tangled black hair, shiny with grease and grimaced. She’d never be able to get away with skipping a shower—if only she’d could just not care like Leah… But she wasn’t Leah, and she did care. The hot water made her give a little shriek and quickly turn the ‘cold’ faucet until it was nice and lukewarm. Leah must have fixed the water heater on the sly and forgotten to mention it.

With the morning ablutions complete, Leah got dressed into a comfortable skirt with a nice purple, orange and brown eye-wrenching pattern with a clean white linen shirt that felt loose and comfortable in the early summer Oregon ‘heat’. The drum of rain on the windows let her know that yet another fine northwest-coast day was in full swing. Hot tea and a stale blueberry bagel completed her breakfast and after staring out the sliding french doors to the back yard and not really seeing anything for at least ten minutes, Izzy roused herself and headed into town.

Not much was open this early—it was still before eight in the morning—but the Blue Moon Café would be opening its doors in about a half hour and Izzy loved to beat Leah to the café. They lived about ten miles outside of town in a lonely little cottage surrounded by fields and woods. Officially, it was a condemned property long-gone back to nature, but they managed to keep it kept up and got electricity and even cable Internet out there. One of the benefits of being a modern wizard, Izzy supposed.

She climbed into her faded blue 1989 Saab hatchback and drove into the sleepy little town. She saw a few cars on the road—people heading out to work or into town like her, probably to grab a quick McBreakfast or McCuppa Joe. Izzy waved to batty old Thelma Perkins tottering along on the sidewalk, her white hair in a shocking mane around her perfectly made-up face. The old woman scowled at her and shouted something offensive, but Izzy was long past and couldn’t make out what she said. She pulled into a parking space in the back of the block of buildings in which the Blue Moon Café was situated and climbed out of her car.

The rain had abated by now and everything glistened and dripped in the wan half-light of an after-shower bright, Oregon morning. Keys jingling, she opened up the back door to the café and started turning on the lights and starting the ancient coffee machine and a hundred other tasks. Before long, she heard the back door slam and Leah strode into the café, tying on a blue apron and giving her a secret, half-smile, “Aren’t you the chipper, efficient little worker bee this morning! You left your plates on the table, by the way. I got ‘em; you’re welcome.”

Chuckling, half-embarassed, Leah pushed up the wire frames of her glasses and busied herself taking chairs off tables. Finally, she unlocked the front door and mentally prepared herself for the morning ‘rush’.
Cody muttered to himself as he huddled in his black leather jacket beneath an overpass. He'd taken shelter there when the rain had come down harder than he cared to drive--not that he was worried about getting into an accident. The so-called 'guardian angel' (which insisted on being called a Legion) following him everywhere like a persistent hallucination kept him safe. Or so it claimed.

At last the rain abated and he wanted nothing more than someplace warm and indoors, preferably with a corner booth and sold coffee by the gallon. Good coffee--none of this weak, watered-down stuff. He'd had enough of water since traveling into the north west.

"Does it do anything here but rain?" he grumbled as he threw his leg over the blue-black motorcycle and resumed his journey. At his waist he wore two holstered revolvers, though they were covered by his leather jacket and hopefully still dry.

Finally, he caught sight of a cafe. Blue Moon Cafe--sounded reasonable enough. And he was in luck--it had just opened, so the rush would, hopefully, not have started just yet.

He parked in a location that would give him good access to two different escape routes, should he need it, and then entered the premises. He slicked back his wet hair with a slight scowl and then looked for a nice corner booth where he'd be out of the way and yet able to see everything. Mostly though, he just wanted coffee and a hot meal.

The bell above the door tinkled slightly as the soaking-wet, leather-jacketed man sat down in a corner booth. He looks tired, thought Izzy, probably tired enough for a jug of Leah’s Maniac Mix. The Maniac Mix was a concoction of Leah’s invention—a thick, bitter mixture that was twelve parts espresso, one part milk, one part sugar. Izzy couldn’t stomach the stuff, but this guy looked like he could swallow a gallon and come back for more.

She looked over at Leah, smiling, and said, “Looks like our morning rush is here! I’d get a Maniac Mix ready… this guy looks like the walking dead.”

Leah glanced over at the corner booth and frowned, “Yeah, you’re right about that. Izzy… be careful. There’s something odd about this guy.”

Izzy rolled her eyes and waved off Leah’s concern—literally—and approached the bedraggled man, with a smile, “Welcome to the Blue Moon, stranger. Can I start you off with some coffee? Maybe an omellette? We make the best in town, so it’ll be a treat for you!”
Cody forced a smile at the woman bedecked in eye-twitching color who hailed him. Her outfit at least woke him up a little. Though he didn't mind her friendliness either.

"Both sound great," he admitted, the smile becoming a little more natural. "I'll take both. Ah, sorry for the wet spots in advance." He had left a bit of a trail behind him from entering the front door.

The Blue Moon at least was hospitable enough for his needs, and it was dry. And warm. He wanted to take off his sopping wet jacket, but he didn't particularly want to reveal what he carried just yet. But he was tired and it was showing in his decisions already.

"Lead the way," he muttered, "and please, call me Cody."

“Well, Cody, you look like you could use a real pick-me-up, if you don’t mind me saying… Want a try of our famous Maniac Mix? It’s basically a ton of espresso with a teeny tiny bit of milk and sugar. Leah says it’ll wake the dead.” She smiled as Cody started to get up, telling her to lead the way, “No need to move, sweetie, just park it right there and I’ll make sure the food and coffee get to you all right; oh yes, and you can call me Izzy. It’s short for Isabelle, but, y’know, nicknames and all that!”

Smiling, she waited for his order, though something tickled at the edges of her supernatural perceptions, she wasn’t sure what. Sometimes it was the weather. Oregon was famous for that, anyway. “So what brings you here, Cody? Y’got family in town, or are you just passing through?”
The mixture sounded toxic, but irresistable and he settled himself where he sat. "It takes more than a long drive to kill me," he said, though he wasn't quite sure if that was humorous or tongue-in-cheek given his past. "I'll give it a try, Izzy. And the omelette too."

At the mentioning of why he was in town, though, he sort of froze. "Just...passing through. You know, sight-seeing and all." He glanced over to one of the windows where a faintly white object--a creature with six wings and covered in armor--stood patiently. It was still here.

There was another reason he was here, but he wasn't sure he should mention it. And besides he was, in a manner of speaking, passing through.

“One omelette and one Maniac Mix, coming right up,” said Izzy brightly. “Y’know, six years ago, I told myself I was just passing through, but,” and she glanced back over her shoulder at the curvy redhead working behind the counter, “I ended up staying. Obviously!” She giggles a little self-conciously, then goes behind the counter.

“So, what d’you think?” She asked Leah, glancing at Cody while starting to create his Maniac Mix.

“Of what? Him?” Leah surreptitiously eyed him, “I don’t know… He’s weird. He’s got a strange aura. Too much is hidden from me. I don’t like it. Him. Whatever.”

Izzy rolled her eyes and glanced up from the drink at Cody again, “I think you’re just jealous. He’s kinda cute in a wet, lost bum-on-the-street sort of way. I like him.”

So saying, she made a ham and cheese omelette and brought the coffee and food together. “There ya go, Cody, I hope you enjoy it!” She made to turn back to the counter, but stopped and twiddled with her long black hair for a second before asking, “You don’t mind if I sit with you for a bit, do you? You’re probably the only person we’ll get in this morning, especially with the rain, and I wouldn’t mind having a new face to talk to for a while…”
Cody shook his head at Izzy's comment of staying for six years. Hell, he hardly stayed in town for a year, let alone six. But it was a quiet little town and perhaps it was the place he was looking for. Somewhere they hadn't heard of his reputation. He could only hope.

The smell of coffee drifting over to him woke his senses enough that he sat up straighter and actually bothered to pull out a fork and knife for the omelette.

"This looks amazing," he said. And then glanced between food and drink--unsure where to start first. The coffee looked piping hot, but so did the omelette. Coffee won. He took a sip, blowing off the steam first to cool it a little, and then winced as the caffeine hit his system.

He hesitated then shrugged. "Sure, you can join me. So, six years, huh?" He tucked into the omelette. "Why'd you come out here in the first place?"

Izzy sat down and smiled as she saw the caffeine take effect on Cody. It was a visible tightening around the eyes and she could swear she saw the veins on his neck bulge a little. She’d have to warn Leah to stop making the damn drink so strong… “Long story, really, but I guess we’re not going anywhere, so if you’re game, I don’t mind sharing.”

OOC: assuming Cody doesn’t mind

“I had just graduated high school seven years ago. I was pretty young—sixteen—but I wasn’t ready for college. My parents—they’re rolling in the dough—wanted me to have ‘an experience’ before going to college, so they sent me and a couple of my friends on a two-year trip around the world. It was amazing! I saw Rome, Tokyo, Lake Victoria, Vienna...
“It started out well enough, anyway. Things started going downhill for me in Italy. Florence. I met a girl there, her name was Serafina. Me, Annabelle, and Laura, those were my two friends who went with me, we stayed with her family. Even though we were only there for a little while, Serafina and I really hit it off. We became best friends. She was a wonderful person; beautiful inside and out... But she… died. While we were staying there. It was pretty horrible. I didn’t think I’d ever get over it. We left Italy and went on to Austria and Vienna.
“I met another girl there. Her name was Janika. She was completely different from Serafina, but I found myself just as attracted to her. We went everywhere together. God, she loved that city. I fell in love with it too, seeing it through her eyes. But… well, it turns out she wasn’t who or what I thought she was. She tried to… hurt me. An old man passing by saved me from her. I thought I’d be heartbroken, but I wasn’t. I was furious! I asked the old guy to teach me how he’d gotten rid of her.”
Izzy stops there, an appraising look in her eyes. “Leah’s right about you, you know. Your aura is… muted. I don’t know why… But I think the, ah, supernatural is no stranger to you…”
Cody listened intently to Izzy's story, surprised and amazed at the things people with money could afford. More than that, it seemed she had a penchant for trouble--though it could have been that she had been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"A lot of people aren't exactly who they say they are," Cody said sympathetically when she had paused for breath.

He didn't realize how soon he'd have to eat those words though when she called him out on the supernatural. He dropped his fork and knife onto the plate with a clatter and a haunted look swept over him. He couldn't help, try as he might, but look in the direction of the Legion.

He took another swig of the coffee, and felt his nerves settle a little. It was a strange thing about him--coffee in particular calmed him down. "The supernatural and I are not on speaking terms," he said sourly. "For reasons I'd rather not get into." Well if he could trust her he might tell her something but that had to be earned. "I take it you, or Leah have dealt with the er, supernatural?"

"So careful! Well, I suppose in this day and age, everyone needs to be cautious about the supernatural. Either people think you're some kind of sociopath or you're right and there's a lot of really bad things ready to eat you if you pit a toe wrong. As for me, and Leah--especially Leah-- you could say that webhave more than a passing acquaintance with the supernatural. We're wizards. Magi, I guess; though I've been called a witch and worse.

"You see, that's why I came here. The girl I spoke about, Janika, was no ordinary girl. She was a vampire. She'd been so long a vampire, that even when she was confessing what she was and promising her eternal love, the Beast inside her was planning the best way to rip out my throat. It was that inner conflict, that unnatural hesitation, which saved me...and damned her."

Izzy seems to become lost in memories for a while, staring off into space. After a while, she seems to come back to herself, gradually remembering her surroundings. "Anyway," she continues, her voice quavering slightly, "the man that saved me, well, he was a wizard too. He taught me for a year in Austria before sending me back here to learn from Leah. I don't even know why I'm telling you all this! I don't know who you are or why you're so wary... You could mean me harm, for all I know! I guess I just feel comfortable around you..." Again, Izzy trails off, but this time, instead of getting lost in space, she's studying Cody intently.

"I don't want to pry or anything, but if you're having supernatural troubles, maybe Leah and I could help you? That's kind of what we do. We've got the power, so we've got the responsibility; so Leah says and so I believe."
He hesitated, wrestling with himself about whether or not to engage with these self-professed witches, wizards, whatever. He sighed and gave in. What he could tell them might help--or might just further incarcerate him in the mental hospital.

"A year ago, I might have scoffed at your mentioning vampires or...supernatural creatures," he began softly. "But six months ago, I was nearly possessed by a demon. The creature over by the window," he nodded in the general direction, "saved my life, or rather, soul."

He shifted, clearly uncomfortable by the topic. "We've learned somewhat to get along, mostly I don't bother it, it doesn't bother me, usually. But I've taken to traveling because if I stay in one area too long, the fallen--er, demons--find me. I'm sort of a magnet for them, I guess you could say."

He scraped his plate clean and then sipped his coffee, before looking at Izzy and then turning to glance over at Leah. "If you don't mind a little bit of trouble, it would be nice to take a bit of a breather and settle down for a little while. I'll try not to cause trouble, but I really can't promise anything." He turned back to look at Izzy. "I can do odd jobs and if it's money you're worried about, I'm a fair hand with mechanics."

He sighed, suddenly weary with the relief that comes of having opened up all that he had kept hidden for so long.

Izzy stared at Cody for a long minute, finally looking over his shoulder and out the Blue Moon Cafe's window where he indicated. She allowed a brief trance to come over her and she muttered a few phrases in Mandarin, then blinked her eyes twice. To her, each time she blinked her eyes, her vision shifted to show her one of the 78 additional planes of existence which coexisted with the 'real' world. Various spirits and supernatural creatures could only be perceived on these planes, either being entirely invisible on the first plane or disguised somehow. The being she saw floating in the air next to Cody's motorcycle was one of these creatures.

She stared at the six wings flapping gently in the air, too slowly to keep it aloft in the purely physical sense, and swallowed heavily. She was always heavily affected by the creatures which natively inhabited the other planes, but this creature was much... more. More everything. Beautiful, terrifying, powerful, humble, proud. It seemed a breathing contradiction to her.

Slowly, Izzy allowed the the spell to fade and with it, the vision of the creature Cody said was his guardian. "You're not kidding, Cody... You are in trouble! This is a little outside my experience, mostly we deal with unquiet native spirits and the minor malign curses that come from too many people who know each other too well living too closely together. But I'd be more than willing to give you a place to kip for however long you need. Leah too, once she hears about this!"

Izzy looked behind her at Leah, who was pointedly focused on cleaning a not-particularly-dirty carafe and rolled her eyes. "She's punishing me right now," she sighed, "but that's just because she thinks I'm sweet on you. Hold on, let me go calm her down and then we can discuss your options."

Izzy leaves the booth and begins an animated but quiet conversation with Leah.
Cody sighed and then flinched as the Legion reappeared beside him. Of course the Legion would notice the unusual behavior of the mortals around it. It had nothing better to do than observe those it was surrounded by.

"These mortals are not normal," the Legion warned, his feathers slightly ruffled. "They are dealing with forces beyond their kin. You aim to take up with them?"

Cody growled under his breath. "You think we can take on the entire fallen forces on their own terms otherwise? Be my guest and go slay them for me...otherwise shut up."

The Legion didn't seem to mind the abusive undertone. "Without me, you would be a prisoner in your own body," it said.

"And without me, you would still be a guardian," retorted Cody. "Stop distracting me, I need to make a good impression with them."

There was no trace of humor when the Legion replied: "Good luck with that." Fed up with the Legion's apparent distrust of his decisions, Cody drained the rest of his coffee mug and sat in his seat with his head in his hands. Who was he to stay and ask for help. How the mighty have fallen.

His hands fell to his jacket, unzipping to check on the revolvers. He didn't pull them, but he did run a hand over them to check for wetness. They were cold, but fine. He sighed in relief.

Izzy observed the seemingly one-sided exchange along with Cody’s apparent emotional distress with compassion. She hesitated a moment before saying quietly, “Cody, I can empathize with you, truly. I know the fear and paranoia that comes from dealing with the supernatural. During the first few months of my apprenticeship, I thought I was going crazy. But you’re with people who can help. Maybe we can’t solve your problems, but we can at least shed a little more light on them. Y’know, give you more to work with.

Her eyes widened slightly when she glimpsed the butts of the revolvers, but she maintained her calm demeanor, “It’s good that you know how to protect yourself. That’ll come in handy. Why don’t you tell me a little more about your situation? Maybe getting that burden off your chest will help to figure out why you’ve been targeted? Just start from the beginning.”

She settled back in the booth, resting her hands on the table, a look of calm patience on her face, not unlike a doctor’s expression.
Cody zipped his jacket up a little to immediately hide the revolvers from sight. But it was good to know she hadn't freaked out over them. Maybe he would stick around.

He grimaced and stirred his coffee with a spoon. The reason he didn't like asking for help was because there was little anyone could do for him. But these people might be different.

Her composure at least and admittance that she hadn't taken too easily to the supernatural helped though.

"I don't know a whole lot of specifics, but, apparently, there's something about me that attracts demons, or fallen angels, or whatever you want to call those things that possess you. I've been hunted by them since I was six--first it was nightmares, then I realized it wasn't just dreams. They were real. I just pretended they were hallucinations...it was easier that way." Ha, easier...it had been hell.

"But...nothing worked. I tried medication, pills, avoided therapists for fear they'd think I was a danger to society" - well, what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them because he had a bit of a past - "and lock me away. When it gets difficult, I leave town and start over. Not the easiest life, but it works. As for getting help...if there was a way to repel the demons, I would love to hear it."

"But, if you're wizards and all," he couldn't help the tone of slight disbelief, "why settle down out here? Do you have much of an ange-er demon problem out here?"

OOC: Sorry about the jump in action. I forgot that I had written that Izzy went to discuss things with Leah. Awkward! Oh well, push on…

“There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,/ Than are dreamt of in your philosophy,” Izzy quoted, smiling. “Hamlet, Act One, Scene Five. He wasn’t talking about angels, demons, and the like, but he might as well have been. There is a need for wizards everywhere, Cody. The way the world works… well, science just can’t explain everything away. Questions of origins, reasons for living, the search for Truth: these are the things which wizards seek. Or most do, anyway.” Izzy begins playing with the silver pentacle pendant as she speaks, searching for the right words, “Leah and I, we’re kind of like district managers. We maintain order, mediate disagreements between spirits, calm and contain local disturbances, and generally try to keep our little corner of the world moving along as it should.”

She stole another glance out the café window at the unseen creature by Cody’s motorcycle. Even though she couldn’t see it right now, she could sense its presence: untrusting, protective, fierce. It gave her the willies. “There are more problems than you might think of, problems which require a wizard’s careful touch. We’re kind of like diplomats, police, and philosophers all rolled into one. Your presence here isn’t an accident. Since you’re here, we’re expected to deal with it; though truthfully, I’ve never really encountered creatures like you’ve described. Then again, I’ve only been practicing the Art for six years, hardly any time at all, especially when you consider that most wizards tend to live well beyond the ‘normal’ human life expectancy.”

She waved Leah over, her expression serious. “Leah, I know you don’t entirely trust him, but Cody has a real problem. We need to help him,”

The beautiful redhead stared at Cody for a long time, her blue eyes narrowed in suspicion. Finally, tucking her hair behind her ears, she sighed, “You’re right, of course, Izzy. I’m just surprised is all. Major incursions like these tend to be isolated in the major population centers. Demons, angels… Whatever they truly are like to be where there’s a lot more people.” She addresses Cody directly, “You were smart to keep moving. Spiritual beings have a difficult time thinking in a physical manner. Things like time and location mean less to them than they do to us. Constant movement confuses them. But it won’t work forever. Hmmm. I think you’d better come back to the cottage. Izzy, would you take Cody back home and run a few diagnostics on him?”

“If Cody doesn’t mind, I’d be glad to!” She gives Cody a questioning glance.
Cody smirked. "I grew up in DC and then fled to Baltimore for a few years...that metropolis enough?" It would definitely explain the massive numbers of Fallen he'd dealt with though.

At the mention of diagnostics, however, he flinched and hesitated. The Legion, sensing his mortal's discomfort, reappeared beside him, though didn't draw its sword. Not that its presence would comfort Cody any.

"I'm fine," growled Cody under his breath at the Legion. "They just wanna run some...diagnostics."

The Legion flattened his six wings against his back. "For what reason? Do they really think they can help? How many doctors have you been to? How many have you tried to ask for help?"

Cody couldn't help it. He drew his revolver and turned to the Legion, aiming it at the Legion's helmet. The Legion didn't even flinch. "You'll only break a window and stir up trouble."

Cody growled. "Then keep your opinions to yourself." He holstered the revolver again. "What kind of diagnostics are we talking?"

When Cody pulled his revovler, a palpable tension permeated the sleepy little café. “Please put that away, Cody,” said Leah, “it’ll be a pain in the ass to talk the cops out of arresting anyone!”

Izzy nodded miserably, “And repairing the window would be a drain. We’ve never made a secret of our…abilities, so we’re already called the ‘witch dykes’ and other, less pleasant names. Hearing gunshots would only make this town hate us more. Grrrr!” She suddenly burst out, “We help them so much, but still they hate us! Anyway, the diagnostics are nothing invasive. I’d be checking for spiritual resonances on the various planes, seeing if your arcane alignment matches to the ethereal quanta parameters… Maybe your ethics spectrum has crossed with your morals reflection pattern? We’ll find out soon, though. You probably won’t even notice anything while I’m casting the necessary spells. Maybe there’s something about your aura…” She trails off into more arcane technobabble.

“Don’t worry, Izzy’s very good at this. It’s her specialty; finding relationships within a system. Whatever’s causing this unnatural attraction, she’ll find it.” Leah grins at Izzy, who is still mumbling about ‘transplanar spacial attractors’ and nudges her gently with an elbow. “Back to Earth, Izzy! Go on, scoot you two, I’ll mind the shop.”

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » West-Side Wizardry

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus