Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Fallout-style RP?

Witness

I was dabbling in the GECK earlier today, as I often do, and wondered if anyone had done a Fallout-style RP on here recently. A cursory check revealed few results, and even those were last commented on a while ago; therefore, I'm of the opinion that the niche for Fallout RPs should be filled.

I was thinking that the setting of the RP should be somewhere away from the areas extensively covered in any of the canon Fallout games, (i.e. not near New Vegas/Mojave, Washington D.C., California/Oregon, &c) to allow for a more flexible plot; however, I don't really have a specific place picked. Also, we might need to decide on the presence/absence of certain important groups and factions from the Fallout canon (i.e. BoS, Enclave, Super Mutants, &c) for clarity and continuity.

Or maybe we could just jump right into it and have our characters scamper over the wasteland without worrying about the details; whatever sounds like the best plan for you, post down below.
I have very little experience with the Fallout setting, but if you could explain the basics I'm down. I love a good post apocalyptic setting :)
Witness Topic Starter

Basically, the Fallout setting is set in a post-apocalyptic version of a retro-futuristic 1950s America. The cars have tailfins and fusion reactors, the robots look like Robbie the Robot (a sci-fi staple of the 1950s), and the bottle caps from Nuka-Cola, the most popular soft drink in the country, are used as currency. Essentially, we would be roleplaying as scavengers in whatever wasteland setting we selected, although I was thinking of Northern US, perhaps around Ohio or the whereabouts.
I'm in. I've only played New Vegas, but I loved in and I. Am. In.
I am playing New Vegas as I type this and I have loved the Fallout series~ I would enjoy playing such a game~
Witness wrote:
I was thinking that the setting of the RP should be somewhere away from the areas extensively covered in any of the canon Fallout games, (i.e. not near New Vegas/Mojave, Washington D.C., California/Oregon, &c) to allow for a more flexible plot

I like that idea! I love the Fallout universe, but I haven't played all that much in it, my time being sucked away by the Elder Scrolls games. I've played Fallout 3, but only a few times and I never got far in the main plot. Therefore a flexible plot would allow me to join with limited knowledge. I'd definitely be interested to wander the post-apocalyptic wastelands! :D
Witness Topic Starter

Good to hear that there's some interest in this, I was worried that I'd have to wait for a while to get any bites! I think we should try and get three things decided on before anything else:

1) The setting/locale

2) The amount of time since the Great War

3) The kind of groups/factions that will be present.

Personally, I was thinking that the setting could be Northern US around Ohio or Indiana, the amount of time could be 20-40 years after the War, and because of that time and setting many groups such as the BoS and the Super Mutants would not be present (but we could always come up with local versions).
Super mutants are quite a resilient group. The Brotherhood of Steel would have died out, as their numbers are few. Those are my thoughts~ I also have pondered a character schematic, but not every character can be transferred to a Fallout universe so easily.
Tell (played by berserker544)

I'll join up, Tell will be the one I'm going to use. I know it says he's from new Vegas, but I can have him traveling or something like that. I'm pretty cool with anything you guys want.
Witness Topic Starter

With almost a week gone and still no consensus as to when and where we should set the RP, I'm going to take the initiative (and the advice from the two of you who offered suggestions over chat) and set the RP in Indiana and set it 65 years after the war, in 2142. The Brotherhood of Steel at that time would still be in California, and the Master's Super Mutant army has not spread west yet; therefore, if we're going to have a BoS faction or a Super Mutant faction in our RP, we'll have to come up with our own group.

Also, because there's been some talk about skills, combat, leveling up, &c, I think it would be best if we all come to a consensus on what we should do. Personally, I think we should settle on 10-20 skills taken from the games, pick three of them as "tagged" and, whenever we encounter a skill-specific situation such as a locked door or a landmine, roll a 1d100 to determine the chance of success, and then roll again to see if it falls within that range of success. Tagged skills would get modifiers, thus making challenges easier.

Not to add any pressure, but since I will be gone all weekend, I'm looking for responses/suggestions by the time I return on Sunday between 2-5 PM Pacific time. After that, while I'll still take suggestions, I will be more focused on actually getting the RP up and running.

...maybe we can do something like honest hearts? We're hired to guard a caravan...or maybe something like a herd of brahmin?

It's just an idea
Witness Topic Starter

It's an idea that I like; that way everyone's characters would be introduced to one another and be in the same setting. Trying to think of a way for everyone to meet up and make the interactions and introductions while still keeping the feel of the wasteland (i.e. don't talk to/approach someone you don't know because they could be a Raider)without some sort of overarching plot would be difficult. I'm giving serious consideration to using that idea as the basis of the RP.

yay! I had a good idea
I like the caravan idea! All sorts of characters could join that way. Characters with fighting skills could join to earn some coin guarding the caravan, whereas other types of characters may join because they want to travel safely in a large group rather than braving the wastelands alone.
Witness Topic Starter

Just a quick update, I will not be going out of town for the weekend; feel free to submit any ideas you have, I'll be here and can read them at my leisure. However, I would like to still keep the Sunday deadline so that way we can avoid debating for another week before we actually get to the RP itself.
Not going to lie, I'm not comfortable with the skills sort of thing.
But that's just me. And it's not everybody else. I just don't have a background in tabletop RPGs

JayBird wrote:
Not going to lie, I'm not comfortable with the skills sort of thing.
But that's just me. And it's not everybody else. I just don't have a background in tabletop RPGs

Know what you mean, just choose three areas you're character's good in...that should be good
Witness Topic Starter

I've finished working on the character I'm going to use; you can find his profile here and read all about him. Take note of the SPECIAL and skills section, as this is probably the most detailed and most aligned with the series as you could get; I don't expect anyone else to do this, but try and follow Tell's advice of picking three skills that your character is good in (tagged skills). You can pick them straight from New Vegas, or Fallout 3 if you prefer one or the other. If we have any fans of the old-school Fallout games in here, feel free to pick one of the older skills that was merged/changed for 3/NV.
Im just saying...

I think some time after the war. My character si one who would have taken advantage of the chaos, and turned it to his benifit.
Witness Topic Starter

Update: A group has been set up for the Fallout RP! :O It can be located at this link and is open for everyone to join. If you have any questions, address them to me here or on the group itself in the OOC Forum.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Fallout-style RP?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus