Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » A Question..

So, due to some lack of foresight on my part, an RP I started on the forum has died. Yep, deader than a skunk on the highway (and probably just as stinky). So I wanted to ask you all a question.

What kind of RP would you be interested in being involved in? What kind of setting or plot would make you want to join in?
Well, Having been part of said RP, I got bored with it and it was by no fault of yours. My character was just kind of bombarded by all the other ones that showed up out of nowhere. I find the more successful ones that have started on here have a set number of characters that can join. They also have a clear plotline to a foe and twists and blahblahblah. Perhaps the Imbrium one died because there was no clear direction as to what the characters were supposed to do once Celestina was introduced and found to be the source of the rain. The bird thing was cool and all but right after its defeat the characters just ended up fighting with eachother and I personally got bored with it... And Dadj was all around annoyed by everyone, so he up and left.

I guess what I'm saying is, instead of introducing action without an end do more of an "Oh! It was my mortal enemy so and so and he's trying to kill me and it's going to rain until I'm safe!" kind of thing. Without that sort of momentum it just fizzled. The source of the rain was found too quickly, maybe and there wasn't anything else to entice the characters to procede.

UHm, I think I am rambling now. But did you understand what I meant?
Ilmarinen Moderator

A) A freeform D&D-style roleplay would be really fun. Someone is a DM and controls NPCs, monsters, and random events. Then the players are subject to the DMs whims. It would be like D&D except fully freeform (no dice, stats, etc... unless you want to).

B) A pokemon RP. I'm pretty picky, though. I've been kicking around the idea of a pokemon RP done in the style of the anime--short plot arcs, lots of silliness, childlike epicness, stuff like that... and no half pokemon, half human trainers, a billion legendaries, etc. Like the show! Where the players take turns in "DMing"/coming up with plots.

C) Some kinda tribe/caveman RP. I think the forum would be a good place for that.
CelestinaGrey Topic Starter

Fox: I know exactly what you mean. That's what I meant on 'lack of foresight on my part'. I didn't realize that the whole thing would just fizzle away when Celestina was found. xD

Heimdall: Those are some interesting ideas. But I usually like to give control of happenings to everyone individually; they can use their own NPCs to make the action and drama happen. I'm not that well on controlling everything.. ^^;
You name it I'll be up for it. Just make sure I know the rules and limitations first so I don't start doing stuff that ain't allowed. Heh.
Dragonfire Moderator

I used to co-mod a Pokémon RPG over at http://community.livejournal.com/gottacatchafew . It was pretty fun times, up until it died. The only legendary that showed up prior to the deadness was Articuno, and no one even had a chance at catching it, it was just there to dump a huge blizzard over Kanto and Johto. The characters were all trainers, in various stages of their training careers, from 10-year-olds to an Elite Four member. The Rockets were very much out in force, being all sneaky and up to no-good-ness.

...I miss that game, sigh. :<

However! In knowing that it died, I think me and the other co-mod figured out what contributed to it:

1. Not enough GM-driven plot activity. We largely expected our members to come up with personal plots in the beginning of the game. Most of them had played together before, and we thought they'd be able to hash things out, but apparently a lot of them wanted us to get the ball rolling on the plots we had up our sleeves sooner.
2. Too big of a playing arena, so characters had problems running into each other. Apparently Johto and Kanto are really big, with lots of cities to spread people out over. It's not hard to travel between them, with all the options we had, but some folk still found it difficult. (There was an in-game communication system that was supposed to be the focus of the game. It had worked as a mechanic in another large-world game we'd all mostly played in before, but for some reason, it didn't truly work out here.)
3. Cliquishness, at times unconscious, between players. Folks - players and characters alike - divvied themselves into small little circles and didn't make much of an effort to contact other people outside those groups. Not everyone was bad with this, but it definitely happened.

And then, of course, there was just the 'omg we're all insanely busy right now'. One person was moving across the country, exams and holidays with family were being had by the students among us, I was about to leave on a road trip for six months, etc. There's not really much you can do about that'un, unfortunately.

...But to answer the actual question, I have no idea, heh. I haven't played on forums in an insanely long time. Been debating finding and joining a Pern RP, but other than that, no real inclinations.
Dragonfire wrote:
I used to co-mod a Pokémon RPG over at http://community.livejournal.com/gottacatchafew . It was pretty fun times, up until it died. The only legendary that showed up prior to the deadness was Articuno, and no one even had a chance at catching it, it was just there to dump a huge blizzard over Kanto and Johto. The characters were all trainers, in various stages of their training careers, from 10-year-olds to an Elite Four member. The Rockets were very much out in force, being all sneaky and up to no-good-ness.

Excluding the issues you had with keeping this up... I LOVE YOU FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER.
Quote:
The characters were all trainers, in various stages of their training careers, from 10-year-olds to an Elite Four member.

And that's why. As I complained about in the RP Pet Peeves thread, I hate close-mindedness where you aren't allowed to play more veteran people. If a Pokémon rp starts up around here that allows such a vastness of expertise in trainers & doesn't demand a team re-haul, I will definitely join up. And Heimdall, I remember you mentioning you wanting to start a Pokémon rp around here. What happened to that idea, kupo? I have not heard hide-nor-hair of it again until today. >: Are you still plotting its awesomeness? 8D
A pokemon rp would be interesting. In all honesty though I'm not too up to date with all these new ones theygot out now so my use would be more towards old school ones.
CelestinaGrey Topic Starter

A pokemon RP seems to be the most popular idea. Sadly, if one were to happen, I sure as heck wouldn't be GMing it. I can't even remember half the originals. Dx It's been sooooo long. I was never so ridiculously into it that I knew the regions, so when reading some of this I kind of sat here going 'Wait, where's that? What? Huh?'

Yeah. xD
Dragonfire Moderator

...Hmmm.

Well, I can't make any solid promises, but I'm willing to dive in and take up the arms for another Pokémon RP - even restarting DexNet, perhaps. I can at least donate a solid Wiki of information about the world and the various monsters - it's up-to-date as of D/P/Platinum, anyways.

If this happened, though, I would need some assistance. Plotting has never been my strong suit; my partner co-mod was the one who came up with most of the stuff we had planned.

I'll ponder on it, anyways. A question, though - would people feel okay with a Livejournal-based game, though, or would you prefer it to happen around here at RPR?
I would be willing to assist. Like I said though I'm lacking on knowledge has it pertains to more recent ones. That's ok though cause wikipedia ahoy! Heh.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Lauren: I just have been sooo busy. :<

Dragonfire: That would be awesome! But I would prefer to play here on RPR. This is what it's made for. :D As I said I'd been planning a Furcadia-based Pokemon RP that I eventually wanted to move to RPR, so I would be happy to help with the plots. I have a character all ready to go and with a goal, so that could get things rolling. I do plan on this being a really light-hearted kind of RP, though, so if anyone wants serious epicness then maybe I should back down. :P

The issue would be battles. Lauren and I had an AWESOME FUN AMAZING Pokemon battle a while ago on Furc, but it just wouldn't work that way on a forum. The posts were fast-paced and rather short. Each time a Pokemon made an attack, we would each roll 1d20 (sometimes adding or subtracting some small number for various things--like if a Pokemon used leer or tail whip on yours, you could subtract 2 from your roll when defending). So then the defending Pokemon would make their post and use the difference of the two numbers to determine how effective the attack was. It's REALLY simple, intuitive, and fun... but it would have to be over some real-time thing that has dice built in, like Furcadia. Unless there's a better way to do it... but I've been really wanting to do it this way, because it's so much fun. >_<

I don't think it's necessary to have a wiki or anything--we can just use the many pokemon sites out there like bulbapedia. :P

And Lance, I haven't played any of the new games other than SoulSilver, so... I'm in your boat. But I'm trying to branch out.

Another one of the issues is how to keep the party together.
My all time favorite old school team that only lost once. Gyarados alakazam machamp charizard pidgeot and!!! Dun dun dun... Butterfree. Heh. Well technically they lost about 20 times but I only count it as one cause every time was to the same guy. A buddy of mine. And seriously all he used was a butterfree. That's all. Just one little butterfree. >.< musta been pumping it with some poke'roids. Heh. But yeah I agree on using something like furc with a real time dice roll system. That would probally be best. Only other option I could think of is to compile a complex predetermined and agreed upon list of all techniques available and predetermine the base amount of damage they'd do how much weakness and resistance would increase or reduce the damage and stuff like that... And that'd be a crap ton of work. As for keeping a party together...no clue really there...
Ilmarinen Moderator

Lance2011 wrote:
Only other option I could think of is to compile a complex predetermined and agreed upon list of all techniques available and predetermine the base amount of damage they'd do how much weakness and resistance would increase or reduce the damage and stuff like that...

Waaaay too much. This would still be a freeform roleplay, just with some help from dice. The gaps in dice can be filled with description and common sense.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » A Question..

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus