Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Vulture culture

Ilmarinen Moderator

Orrik_Zynn wrote:
bone carving is nice and since i have an odd fascination with zentangles and patterns i find it fun though i rarely do it...not sure why the results are always pretty i guess i just get bored too quickly for it...
What have you carved, and what tools did you use? You should post it!
Orrik_Zynn

Heimdall wrote:
Orrik_Zynn wrote:
bone carving is nice and since i have an odd fascination with zentangles and patterns i find it fun though i rarely do it...not sure why the results are always pretty i guess i just get bored too quickly for it...
What have you carved, and what tools did you use? You should post it!

well i don't keep what i carve i like the original bone better but one of my friends that lives a few hours away has one of the pieces it was a smaller coyote skull and i only did half of the skull so it almost looked like it was wearing a half mask...as far as tools i prefer a dremel with a flex tip and a small variety of burrs...but i rarely use them so i don't exactly invest much in the tool department
Yersinia Topic Starter

Finally going to get some old insect specimens into a relaxing jar today. I should've just set them when I first found them, but I'm horrible and lazy...I think maybe I'll frame the swallowtail butterfly for my mom? Her birthday just passed and she likes them.

Anyways, if it doesn't turn out like garbage I'll post pictures in a couple days when it's done.
Orrik_Zynn

Yersinia wrote:
Finally going to get some old insect specimens into a relaxing jar today. I should've just set them when I first found them, but I'm horrible and lazy...I think maybe I'll frame the swallowtail butterfly for my mom? Her birthday just passed and she likes them.

Anyways, if it doesn't turn out like garbage I'll post pictures in a couple days when it's done.

cool~

might go for a walk after the birthday party i'm attending (if i stay there for long...not good with people...) i find interesting things when i walk so if i find anything really interesting i'll share~
I don't really collect this stuff, but I do have a peacock tail feather as well as two flight feathers and one tail feather from a scarlet macaw. I bought the peacock feather and the macaw feathers were a gift.
Orrik_Zynn

Katia wrote:
I don't really collect this stuff, but I do have a peacock tail feather as well as two flight feathers and one tail feather from a scarlet macaw. I bought the peacock feather and the macaw feathers were a gift.

mmm...feathers...i try to avoid those...too many rules and laws on them and all :/
The macaw feathers came a domesticated macaw owned by a coworker of my mom so they are perfectly legal.
Yersinia Topic Starter

Unfortunately, there's a ton of laws surrounding feathers regardless of how you acquire them. If a bird species is protected under your area's particular laws (or federal laws) then it's illegal to own any part of them...even their discarded nests.
*sweats and looks at nest collection*

I don't think it's often a problem for you feather-collectors out there, but just like...don't get caught, I guess? It mostly seems to be an issue when people try to sell feathers as part of art or jewelry.
Orrik_Zynn

Yersinia wrote:
Unfortunately, there's a ton of laws surrounding feathers regardless of how you acquire them. If a bird species is protected under your area's particular laws (or federal laws) then it's illegal to own any part of them...even their discarded nests.
*sweats and looks at nest collection*

I don't think it's often a problem for you feather-collectors out there, but just like...don't get caught, I guess? It mostly seems to be an issue when people try to sell feathers as part of art or jewelry.

I simply leave well enough alone~
I checked the laws and I know for a fact that my macaw feathers are legal. Heck you can find tons of them for sale on ebay/amazon. That being said, I won't touch any other feathers. ^^;
Orrik_Zynn

Katia wrote:
I checked the laws and I know for a fact that my macaw feathers are legal. Heck you can find tons of them for sale on ebay/amazon. That being said, I won't touch any other feathers. ^^;

relax friend I wasn't saying your feathers were illegal I was just saying with all the rules and such I won't touch them~

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Vulture culture

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus