Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Disallowing people that blocked you to PM you

Arkavious: makes sense! But I think this has an easy solution. There should be a system message saying, as soon as you open the message, something to the effect “You can’t write to this person, they’ve blocked you.” This would spare you the effort of typing a few paragraphs before being told the same thing. Problem solved... for the most part. I think? What do you think, would this mostly resolve the issue for you? You could just delete the message and get on with your RPing :)
Arkavious Topic Starter

Alecia wrote:
Arkavious: makes sense! But I think this has an easy solution. There should be a system message saying, as soon as you open the message, something to the effect “You can’t write to this person, they’ve blocked you.” This would spare you the effort of typing a few paragraphs before being told the same thing. Problem solved... for the most part. I think? What do you think, would this mostly resolve the issue for you? You could just delete the message and get on with your RPing :)

It would be just as easy, but that privacy risk is still the same that every one is worried about. I personally just don't want to waste my time either way.
Alecia wrote:

I think this would be a good solution! I would be disappointed too if I got my hopes up, typed things out, then found out I couldn't send it. I think it's a good idea to have the message appear prior to trying to send a PM.
Arkavious wrote:
Alecia wrote:

It would be just as easy, but that privacy risk is still the same that every one is worried about. I personally just don't want to waste my time either way.

Nope, the privacy risk wouldn’t increase that way. It only increases with what you are suggesting.

With the current system both parties waste their time. If you get a system message at the beginning, the person who has wasted their time is the one who wrote to you and who’ll never get a response and who’ll never know why. You’d be wasting like 5 seconds.
Arkavious Topic Starter

Alecia wrote:
Arkavious wrote:
Alecia wrote:

Nope, the privacy risk wouldn’t increase that way. It only increases with what you are suggesting.

With the current system both parties waste their time. If you get a system message at the beginning, the person who has wasted their time is the one who wrote to you and who’ll never get a response and who’ll never know why. You’d be wasting like 5 seconds.

Well it still can, that message to let you know who has you blocked is just as bad as someone trying to message your anon characters and you goto message them and you find out who has you blocked. So I do not know what disallowing them to pm me in the first place is any worse off then that message being shown? At this point I can say that if one way is not any good, then the other is no better. They both do the same, and they both show you who has you blocked on either end. Besides, what about people waiting on messages for an RP idea that get excited, only to find out the pm came from someone that blocked them only after opening that message? Kind of a middle finger to them.

I am not trying to be an ass, but I know thats how I sound. I am just saying how it looks, and it really don't matter as either way you can find out who people are. the only way this wont change if the entire subject is dismissed. It is still unfair that they can waste my time with PM's I can not respond to, but i can pm them to let them know if I am interested or not in the character they are offering for an idea.

I do understand people are worried about privacy, but as I pointed out. Only someone stalking someone, or is completely petty will take the time to block someones anon then go searching for the real name of the person.
Arkavious: I’m not going to post any more arguments at this point :)
Arkavious Topic Starter

Alecia wrote:
Arkavious: I’m not going to post any more arguments at this point :)

That is your choice ^^ I do hope you enjoy your day.
Sanne Moderator

You getting a message that the person you're trying to message has you blocked before you get to message them wouldn't tell them anything about your identity, and thus doesn't pose a privacy risk. Whereas them getting a message they blocked you (Arkavious) when they only blocked an anonymous alt, does.
Arkavious Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
You getting a message that the person you're trying to message has you blocked before you get to message them wouldn't tell them anything about your identity, and thus doesn't pose a privacy risk. Whereas them getting a message they blocked you (Arkavious) when they only blocked an anonymous alt, does.

but it does work both ways Sanne. If I see a message I can't PM someone that pm'd me because they have me blocked, I can still figure out who they are.. At this point I really do not think this will be anything Kim would consider adding. I will just have to hope I do not have this issue again.
Sanne Moderator

Arkavious wrote:
but it does work both ways Sanne. If I see a message I can't PM someone that pm'd me because they have me blocked, I can still figure out who they are.. At this point I really do not think this will be anything Kim would consider adding. I will just have to hope I do not have this issue again.

How can you figure out who they are? All it tells you is what that particular character/user did to prevent you from talking to them. Another character having you blocked could be someone else entirely and there's no way for you to figure that out because you don't see their block list.
Kim Site Admin

Hi all! We've had this discussion a few times before in the recent past, and my position now is still the same as it was then:

It becomes very easy to "sound out" anonymous characters if you can't PM someone who you've blocked on your own end. Yes, few people will take the time to do it other than stalkers or the furiously angry and petty, but both those types of problems can and do occur, and both present a higher risk of lasting damage to privacy that cannot be fixed once broken than the (admittedly unfortunate) annoyance felt when some time is wasted through typing a reply that can't then be sent.

Although someone could abuse this by sending nasty messages to someone they've blocked and therefore can't respond to them, we do have remedies for that that don't require programmatic change - 1) if someone is being nasty to you, block them back, and 2) someone being that abusive can be reported and suffer harsher consequences than just not being allowed to talk to you anymore.
Sanne wrote:
Arkavious wrote:

How can you figure out who they are? All it tells you is what that particular character/user did to prevent you from talking to them. Another character having you blocked could be someone else entirely and there's no way for you to figure that out because you don't see their block list.

This. Also, you have no idea how many people have blocked you. Heck, I sometimes block people with whom I’ve never talked, based just on what they’ve written somewhere public. So it doesn’t even need to be someone with whom you’ve talked.
CelestinaGrey wrote:
Alecia wrote:

I think this would be a good solution! I would be disappointed too if I got my hopes up, typed things out, then found out I couldn't send it. I think it's a good idea to have the message appear prior to trying to send a PM.

Agreed! This sounds like leveling out the playing field without giving up on the privacy side of things and removing the reply effort side of the equation, because if they message you for rp and you get super excited, you find out it's essentially a dud. At least this way you don't put any effort into it.
MasterWinter

Demilicious wrote:
CelestinaGrey wrote:
Alecia wrote:

Agreed! This sounds like leveling out the playing field without giving up on the privacy side of things and removing the reply effort side of the equation, because if they message you for rp and you get super excited, you find out it's essentially a dud. At least this way you don't put any effort into it.

I also support this idea. Just a simple way to inform that you cant respond to them, would be better than nothing at all.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Disallowing people that blocked you to PM you

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus