Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Christmas Cookies! (Or just cookies! :3 )

So as the Holidays gear up I know a lot of people tend to start baking. Halfdrake and I are going to be doing a baking marathon this year and I thought it would be nice to see if anyone had any favorite old-timey family recipes, or recipes that they have never tried but would like to.

Personally, I love old-timey recipes. There's just something about them, when you know people have been making them for years. I'm sitting here with a giant stack of my family's cookbooks (my mum is the oldest, so she got all the cookbooks from my grandma/great grandma) and so far my favorite, that I have so far found, are Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprint cookies.

1 1/2 cups butter, softened.
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla (extract)
3 cups flour (all purpose)
1/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chip chunks crushed into small pieces (I have no clue how my grandma did this, but my mum says you can now get semisweet chocolate chip mini's)
2/3 cup raspberry preserves

Preheat oven to 350f. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl then beat in egg and vanilla until the mix is nice and fluffy. Mix in flour, cocoa and salt. Fold in chocolate chips. When ready roll spoonfuls, likely a large eating soup spoon or tablespoon will do, we always rolled them with our hands, and place them a couple inches apart on a buttered (greased) cookie sheet. Then make a deep indent in the middle with your thumb.

You'll bake them for 12-15 mintues (I like mine a little softer so I usually go with 12 minutes) then let them cool for a couple minutes on a cookie sheet then place them on racks (or however you let your cookies cool, wax paper is good too) let them cool completely then fill the centers with the preserves and if you like you can sprinkle a little powdered sugar on them.

They have to be stored carefully between wax or rice paper and should be kept in a seal-able container until you need them. This makes about 4 dozen cookies.

They'll look something like this (without the crumbly bits and with more chocolate bits:
thumbprintcookies.jpg

SHARE! SHARE! SHARE!

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Christmas Cookies! (Or just cookies! :3 )

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus