Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Roleplay Pet Peeves

Just a discussion forum of the annoying little things either you or I have noticed when roleplaying either in a 1 on 1 or a group. This isn't neccesarily about the dangerous aspects of roleplay and IRL information exchange, this is just a rant about the annoyances of everyday roleplay.

NOTE* I have posted under this topic as "I'm Bored" and it got eliminated. I am certain this will happen again to this post. I hope it doesn't get obliterated but if it does...whatever.
Kitten

Oh, I've got tons....Lemme number them.
1. When you have rules for roleplay stated in your profile and they just completely ignore them. Okay, I get it if I put a LFRP topic out and didn't mention my personal rules but if they're sending me a PM, I'd prefer if the person would read my profile.
2. Illogical roleplay. Backstories that don't make sense, or making people do things that are out of character for plot convenience, also random powers that make zero sense.
3. Power problems. When they magically have powers that the owner didn't mention before to get them out of a situation...And the GM allows it. This is one of the main reasons I've quit roleplays.
Another power problem is of course, OP characters. And the owner doesn't think they are. Most powers have a potential to be OP, but these people give them no limits.
4. When people try to criticize my characters even though theirs are terrible. I know how to appreciate good advice, I do. But it's disrespectful to try and point out problems with my characters when I didn't ask and when I'm not even roleplaying with you.
5. I strongly dislike when my partner tries to make it about romance. I don't like that. It's boring, and I don't understand why people make their characters attracted to others so easily, especially when they've just met.
And also, when they get upset mine don't like them back. My characters will only like other characters I actually think they'd like.
6. Demons. I'm sorry, but these guys get on my nerves. Demons can't be 'good'. They're demons. And their powers don't make sense.
7. Metagamers. So. Horrible. I despise when they try and use OOC info to help them. I've had one partner desperately try and get Gwen to like his and attempted to gender bend her. He failed, of course.
Asroc

I have allot.

1. Dump and Run type Rprers. Ones who either reply once or twice and then dump their character or reply to others, leaving an RP hanging. I can see if you are busy, but dump and runners are annoying.

2. Canon vs OC drama. Not all canons RP in their set universe. Not all OC Rpers are snooty. There is a grey area. Both can get along.

3. Like with what Kitten said, random powers that magically happen on a character.

4. Zero research on something that happened on a character. If you want your character to suffer from some trauma, research on it and back it up.

5. Minor peeve. Characters with overly dramatic back stories such as abused by parents, parents killed (Such as father or mother). A lot of these characters are either emo and moody or goody two shoes who want justice.

6. Canon Rpers who do no research on their character. Yeah there is "Let people RP how they want to RP", but reason why a lot of canon Rpers get snuffed is because the person never puts in effort into their character or hardly does research. I highly doubt Sephiroth from FF7 would prance around in a flower field while riding a unicorn farting a rainbow. (That be hilarious, though.)

7. Metagaming. My character does not know yours. You would not know them until you met them.

8. Combat hungry people. Many people dislike RP combat due to god modders.

9. Abusive GMs/Admins/Staff. I seen this happen on smaller, user/friend ran forums or chats where the admin would do nothing on an issue. Or they play favourites with a user. Or not let you have a hiatus due to issues and would bark for activity. I have seen things from mod abuse where they public shame a person.

10. People who try to pressure people into certain RPs. Sexual, fetishes, etc. I seen this behaviour with 18+ Rpers who target younger Rpers (Not here, but elsewhere) where they don't know the consequences if they do such activities with a minor.

@ Kitten. With demons, what about demons or youkai from other lore? Japanese and Asian culture? Some can be just mischievous or just so something for the lulz.
Kitten

"Minor peeve. Characters with overly dramatic back stories such as abused by parents, parents killed (Such as father or mother). A lot of these characters are either emo and moody or goody two shoes who want justice."
I forgot about this, but it's definitely one of mine.
Well, then I don't really know what they mean. But I'm referring to "Satan's daughter" characters and stuff. Otherwise, I just don't really play with them because it wouldn't fit in with the universe.
Asroc

Kitten wrote:
"Minor peeve. Characters with overly dramatic back stories such as abused by parents, parents killed (Such as father or mother). A lot of these characters are either emo and moody or goody two shoes who want justice."
I forgot about this, but it's definitely one of mine.
Well, then I don't really know what they mean. But I'm referring to "Satan's daughter" characters and stuff. Otherwise, I just don't really play with them because it wouldn't fit in with the universe.

Most "demons" I seen are just what you said. The whole "Satan's child" or a generic vampire with no story. Mainly the whole "I HAFF SOMANY POWAS! RAR!!!"
Kitten

Yeah, exactly. They're generic, annoying and don't make sense...I mean if you're gonna use Satan then they have to be evil. Also bruh, demons don't reproduce.
It's just, ugh.
Kitten

And everyone says their character is Satan's daughter/son, so he'd have to have hundreds by now...
Kitten wrote:
And everyone says their character is Satan's daughter/son, so he'd have to have hundreds by now...

I once did a little part in an Rp, where I played Satan, and this Player who had a character which were "The Son Of Satan" Tried to make his character sound like an heir or some shit, I shot it down by saying he were one of Satans many bastard children.
Eli_Broady

Reading this makes me feel like I am about to step onto a minefield... blindfolded.
Kitten

Do it do it do it!
Eli, none shall shoot you down, let your post fly free.
Everything Kitten said, and also:

1. Trauma as edge, related to Asroc's - when people think that an abusive or traumatic past is the important thing about them, or that it somehow makes them cooler
2. Powerplayers!
3. Related, Godmodders!
4. People who describe their actions in terms of impression (Tanya walked with a face that told you she had a lot to say, and made you think she might have something troubling her/was really cool). Tell me what they're doing, provide an inner monologue if they're thinking, but I generally do not think of people as cool for walking!

And don't get me started on half angel/half demon roleplayers.
Minors that only want to roleplay romance. I get that everyone has their own taste, and to each their own, but I've had to turn way too many plots down after finding out the end game is already set in stone and themed around church bells, so to speak. I'm not comfortable writing a character solely for the sake of romance, especially if the person on the other end of the 1x1 is a total stranger to me in terms of their tastes and ideas on romance.

(Side note: I acknowledge that it's unfair to mark the whole under 18 crowd with that brush, but I'm speaking from personal experience that most people who try to force romance and even sexual content are usually the same crowd that isn't old enough to legally partake in such ideas.)
Kolas wrote:

Please start.
Eli_Broady

Oh, I already stepped on lots of these mines, retroactively. But I won't derail the thread.
I'll share my opinions on the topic, and they coincide with some of the points, given by previous posters.
1. Godmodders/Abusive DMs - its incredibly frustrating when someone hijacks your character for his own ends. Doubly so, when it is a DM during tabletop RPG session.
2. Turning everything into romance of the worst kind - oh, we are supposed to establish a settlement on a lawless land, after clearing it from
bandits and monsters? I don't care! I want that paladin, that rogue/assassin and that sorcerer to fall in love with me. RIGHT NOW! (The reason my latest game on Roll20 crumbled)
3. As a follow-up to the third - Mary Sue/Marty Sue syndrome - everyone should like them from the moment they meet. And never care about outright idiotic behavior and things they say without thinking.
Not to mention self-insertion and attempts to give a character invincibility, unimaginable riches, power and status. And being amnesiac gods/children gods or other powerful beings. The last point is overused, at least I've grown tired of it a long time ago.
Eli_Broady

Skipbab wrote:
Kolas wrote:

Please start.

I had two NPCs in my last campaign. Not EXACTLY half-breeds, but a race which has blood of outsiders mixed. They are brothers... And one of the players has an angel-blooded aasimar as a player character.
So, fire away, Kolas.
RedLantern

One. Touchy guys. Not talking about character, talking neither specifically if it's a male or female, but touchy guys in general. I just, can't, stand, you.
Even more in particular kind of community. Talking about kind of experience. Not blaming anyone in particular.

Overreactive guys? Hg Pls.

"Hey you're pretty. :)"

"Did you just assumed my gender?!"
"Excuse me, what?"

"You SEXIST BINARY DSJFDKFSDHFBSDHJSDHFSDHJ..."

"....?!!??!!"

Just a random example, social media, here you are.

Just to get you a remember : Define touchy: marked by readiness to take offense on slight provocation. // Susception..Easily upset/// Get away from me, don't talk, don't breath here.
Eli_Broady

RedLantern wrote:
One. Touchy guys. Not talking about character, talking neither specifically if it's a male or female, but touchy guys in general. I just, can't, stand, you.
Even more in particular kind of community. Talking about kind of experience. Not blaming anyone in particular.

Overreactive guys? Hg Pls.

"Hey you're pretty"

"Did you just assumed my gender?,!"
"Excuse, me, what?!"

You SEXIST BINARY DSJFDKFSDHFBSDHJSDHFSDHJ..."

"....?!!??!!"

Just a random example, social media, here you are.

Just to get you a remember : Define touchy: marked by readiness to take offense on slight provocation. // Susception..Easily upset/// Get away from me, don't talk, don't breath here.

I had these at virtual tabletop... It nearly killed my love for hobby for a while.
RedLantern

Eli_Broady wrote:

I had these at virtual tabletop... It nearly killed my love for hobby for a while.

Oh, please...

I'm running away from those, after they complain, and there I just want to hug my head between my hands.

I'm so, so, done, with those.

And I'm telling you, there are guys like this up there. I'm just done and tired.

Could laugh about it afterward, but when you get it in front of them, oh.my.god . Don't even look back! Now I see you fron far and I'm freaking sliding away while remembering not even talk or smile or laugh to you.

This is the kind of things getting me so tired of this whole environnement.

Go get your nerves on something else? I dunno, like an ice cream, some running?
Asroc

Snipehunt wrote:
Minors that only want to roleplay romance. I get that everyone has their own taste, and to each their own, but I've had to turn way too many plots down after finding out the end game is already set in stone and themed around church bells, so to speak. I'm not comfortable writing a character solely for the sake of romance, especially if the person on the other end of the 1x1 is a total stranger to me in terms of their tastes and ideas on romance.

(Side note: I acknowledge that it's unfair to mark the whole under 18 crowd with that brush, but I'm speaking from personal experience that most people who try to force romance and even sexual content are usually the same crowd that isn't old enough to legally partake in such ideas.)

It's s'okay. I had more issues with perky, ew ew r18 wanting to do fetish RPs with me on other places. I think why some minors (Possibly a minority portion) is that they get curious and don't care about the rules and what will happen.

I seen this on Tumblr.

Public smut. No.Do that in private.

People who also feel the need to make TL;DR lists of what their characters do.

Minor...

It can be a habit. People who often repeat the same word. "Giggles","Smirks" and "said said said".

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Roleplay Pet Peeves

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus