Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Alternative Suggestions for RP Sites

Lately, I've been thinking about something. I'm not sure exactly where to put this, but I feel since it concerns just discussing options, it would go here. If this was supposed to be in the RP Discussion Forum, any moderator has my permission to move it!

What have I been thinking about, you ask? Well, it hit me that once someone screws up badly enough on RPR, they get banned, right? They may feel remorse from it upon hearing the news or later on, and yet the punishment is clear: they can't ever come back, even if they have turned over a new leaf down the line. There's also people who get tired of the place or just want a backup spot to put their characters, or love RPR for RPing but not for character storage, and vice versa. Those people adore RPR for one or many reasons, but feel like somewhere else is better for an option or two that they're looking for in a RP site.

Which leads me to a question: What sites are out there for those who have been kicked by RPR's dear moderators and admin? Or any alternative sites in general for those who want a little less of RPR (heaven forbid) but still want some of its options? Are there any alternatives to our beloved site that work just as well? Where do the roleplaying masses go when RPR somehow isn't enough for some of their needs?

If I remember correctly, RP Repository was once just that: a repository for character profiles to be stored. The RPing access came much later on, from what I've heard. So I'm not just asking about in general like the site is now: even character storage places like Toyhou.se and Charahub are also good to list down!

If this isn't a question to be asked, I am so sorry, and you can feel free to take it down. However, it's something that's been on my mind for a moment and a half.
MasterWinter

The only rp sites that I am aware of are either ero sites, or https://www.roleplayer.me/ and it's branches like ani rp.

RolePlayer and its. branches have gotten to be bad.

https://www.roleplayer.me/ is usually full of rprs who use rl images, and aren't too fond of anime images (last I knew at any rate). Which was why ani rp was created.

However. Ani has gotten to be full of ero nuts. I mean you put up a photo, be it sexy or not, fully covered or not, you'll get a shit ton of horn dogs after you. One example being Katarina from League of Legends. Her stomach is visible as are the tops of her boobs. Be it you rp as her, or use her as an OC base and cover her up, you'd still get horndogs.

How do I know this, aside from personal experience? Ask Kamizombie.

Plus the mods of those sites don't really give a care about its users. They are highly religious types who post a ton of religious stuff. The users are also picky themselves. Some don't like OC's, some don't like MCRP's, and some don't of course like Anthros.

I've tried to find other rp sites, before I found this one, and before RPG. All sites had closed down and said go to Ani and the other branches. Site Model, One World Rp, you name it. They closed down.

So you just have to hunt around really.
Personally, I’d simply avoid being kicked. RPR has logical rules that can be followed appropriate, and the only reason I’d see someone being banned is if they genuinely did something bannable. Even if one is banned by mistake, Kim is an amazing admin and by far the best out there.

RPR stands unequaled in quality, both in its support and community. However, if you are looking for something else:

Aniroleplay and its affiliates are out there. However, Aniroleplay suffers from an immense lack of control and poor enforcements of its rules. The admins there will only enforce at a surface level, and thus, admittedly, there is a lot of internal drama. As Winter mentioned, flatly erotic roleplayers are rampant there more than anywhere else. Not only that, but they’re often disrespectful and will send erotic opener and sexually harassing messages. This is before I get into the drama and cliques as well.

That all said, it’s not Lord of the Flies there either; it’s just not moderated nearly as well as here. You do have absolute freedom customize your profile like you would in myspace 1.0, and playing canonical characters is actually more popular there.

Outside of ani and its affiliates, there’s also OneworldRoleplay and RoleplayTavern and ITS affiliates. However, I have only heard of these in passing and do not know what it is like on either of thise sites.
Kamizombie wrote:
RPR stands unequaled in quality, both in its support and community.

^^^ This. I've never found an RP site that has such an incredible community. I dabbled in a couple other sites, but they were either full of (as Winters_Fury described them) horndogs, or petty cliques that made you feel like an outsider.
In my personal experience, nothing can measure up to RPR. It seriously has everything; topics, PMs, a chat feature for those who like real-time RPing, and most importantly a moderator team/creator and community that are focused on uplifting and making sure everyone has the best time on the site.
I've never found anywhere like RPR.
As Kamizombie also stated, the rules are logical and appropriate, and they are also part of why RPR is as amazing as it is. Basically, I'd just avoid being kicked out, like Kamizombie said. Kim and the team don't just banhammer; they discuss and give warnings, chances, etc. So, no offense in case this is in reference to someone you know, but if someone gets banned then they probably deserved it/didn't learn/ignored the warnings.

EDIT:
Also, I know you of course don't mean any harm by this, but I consider this a mildly inappropriate topic to post. Maybe it's just me, but this could be detrimental to the website by getting players to leave RPR and go to some suggested websites here. I don't know how firm the RPRs stance on competitive sites is, but I know I would be a bit concerned/unhappy if someone were posting on my site asking about other websites that do what mine does.
I've mostly been through a handful of small forums that now stand as ghost towns if they still exist at all. We've received clumps of members from other sites shutting down, including one I had previously tried and quickly given up on. I imagine GaiaOnline isn't going to be closing up anytime soon, but I have more bad memories from there than from anywhere else; it's a toxic mix of elitism, cliques, self-righteousness, powerplaying, and aforementioned horndogs (even though, last I checked, erotic RP is officially against the rules). At least that was the majority of my experience there.
Lucretire Topic Starter

I see, so there really is no other place like RPR, huh? (Not that I'm complaining!) I of course mean no disrespect, but I also tend to notice that a lot of people use RPR as a sort of advertisement board, and would rather actually RP elsewhere. I was just wondering what sites were out there if no one wanted to use the more obvious options like Skype, Discord, etc.

I could also have a small sense of pity for people who end up growing from their mistakes, only to realize they can never really return to show how much they've grown. It's not common of me to ask these sorts of questions, to be fair, and I'm not fond of playing devil's advocate. It was just something playing on my mind, is all.

Like I said, if it really is inappropriate for me to ask a question like this, then I'd be more than happy to ask a moderator to take it down.
Kim Site Admin

If it makes you feel any better, it's SUPER rare for us to perma-ban people. Most of the cases involve people who have had months or even sometimes YEARS of warnings to change their behavior.

If they don't have many warnings and chances before a perma-ban hits, it's typically because they did something super scary or absurdly toxic.
Lucretire Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, it's SUPER rare for us to perma-ban people. Most of the cases involve people who have had months or even sometimes YEARS of warnings to change their behavior.

If they don't have many warnings and chances before a perma-ban hits, it's typically because they did something super scary or absurdly toxic.

Well, that does bring up a good point. You guys are usually really good with warning other people about bad behavior and whatnot, and for someone to ignore it because they feel justified in their behavior towards another person or simply because they don't care... Well, that does bring grounds for banning, and that's understandable.

I guess I just have this thing about knowing (or at least hoping) that people can change over the years, and things like that. I'll admit to being way too understanding for my own good. I mean, mistakes made at 16 can come back harshly to bite you at 26, you know? Especially if you've grown into a better person. I guess I feel a bit too much empathy for those kinds of people because of my own bad youthful behavior that I've grown out of.

But thank you so much for clarifying that! Of course I love this site, and would never want anyone to leave for other places; this is one of, if not the most friendly places I've been to! I was partially asking because I've heard of a person or two who were banned from here doing better and growing more calm on other sites, but I mostly wanted to know for the people who usually RP or do character storage elsewhere, but stay here on RPR for other reasons. Like, what are their options aside from Skype, Furc, Discord, etc.?
MasterWinter

CelestinaGrey wrote:
EDIT:
Also, I know you of course don't mean any harm by this, but I consider this a mildly inappropriate topic to post. Maybe it's just me, but this could be detrimental to the website by getting players to leave RPR and go to some suggested websites here. I don't know how firm the RPRs stance on competitive sites is, but I know I would be a bit concerned/unhappy if someone were posting on my site asking about other websites that do what mine does.

I am a minority opinion that I do not find this inappropriate. It is a legitimate question, one that most likely crosses the mind of most people at random. It's not trying to get people to leave RPR, it's just a curious question.

Posting in the forums to get a lot of opinions at once, is a heck of a lot easier than posting individual PM's to people asking their opinions. Plus, as it's been shown, people like Kim can give their input on the whole thing.

Again: This is just my opinion on the matter.
No place like RPR? I disagree. Even though it is no longer available to us rpers, RPG was every bit as good as here. I miss it dearly.

But for sites that actually STILL exist. I've dabbled in a variety. Each has it's own ups and downs.
Aniroleplay/Rp.me are both bad, this is where I started rping on Ani and I got a lot of "hate" for being an mcrp, but I didn't want to make half a million accounts just to play the characters I wanted rather than one Oc or even one canon. And the second you put up an 18+ canon like "Erza Scarlet" you are going to get spammed by the horndogs/erotic rpers and generally won't have a good time. Trust me, I know. I made the mistake once to make an 18+ Erza....never again.

Omniverse- This one has way too many things you have to read before even making a character, though if you can somehow get past that, it's not that bad. The community is very accepting of new players and it feels much more like an actual tabletop session than simple text based roleplay. But then you have to get your "stats" and moves approved by mods and you could be waiting weeks depending on what you want, so it's good to simplify things there to be effective. I didnt' mind it once I got past all the reading.

Guiltypleasuresroleplay I'm not sure how active this one is anymore but it seems VERY open to those that like the 18+ kind of stuff and IT is very heavily filled of that, but most of the ones I met were very nice and even endearing and not anything like the ones from Ani. Pretty sure it's dead because all I get is updates from the site rather than messages but it was a thing once.

Oh my word, don't even get me started on how bad Gaia is! I didn't roleplay there much, spent most of my time puzzling, but alsas it's a bad site. Don't go there, it's also filled with viruses.

Lastly, this is all just the humble opinion of this Godly Frog, feel free to interpret this however you need.
I just want to thank Kim, and the rest of the staff for giving us "refuggees" of RPG a home.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Alternative Suggestions for RP Sites

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus