Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2018 » Oceanic code/language translation and discussion!

Dragonfire (played by Dragonfire)

Aalllllso: it looks like the third clue for Puzzle6 appears to show two positions on the vertical axis for the two diacritic-like markings. If height is another variable, here (as in Arabic, I think?), that could throw a wrench in things.
OKAY I can't put a picture up right now but places in the map are:
Darths fortress of Doom
Kudos mountains
Kim's palace
Repository city
Sannes cat sanctuary
Dylan's keep
Arachnid horrors cave
Widget wood
Vampires castle
Spirits tower
Port Sherlock
Chat cove
Forum forest
Seraphics star
Accolade outpost
The Dragon (played by Ilmarinen) Topic Starter

Thank you Cely!

DF: Argh, I saw that too, and it's concerning. XD If the vertical alignment does matter, there would have to be some indication of where the bottom line is. Consider a line consisting of only (s and 's all on the same alignment-- it would be impossible to tell if they were "high" or "low."

Of course, all of the other samples that we have don't seem to be adjusted in terms of height, so. Hrm. I don't know, I think I'm going to go on the basis that height doesn't matter - except maybe in terms of readability, to set character groupings apart from one another.

Either way, it probably isn't just natural handwriting variation, as I'm pretty sure Kim made this into a computer font--you can see it in the slight nuances of the marks, or rather, the lack thereof. So whatever the vertical spacing is, it's intentional!

Dragonfire wrote:
Hum hum hummm!

So the "Book of Alien Languages" also contains some writing that is not alien - some of it seems to be snips of the island lingo, and some is a more 'standard' language system. I think the authors may have decided that morse code is much easier to write with claws? ;)

Anyways. The first snippet of morse translates to "iksn ar hkpr", which is less than helpful, then there's a page of the alien language ("icvo rbono ano"), and finally a second morse snippet, which is a little more readable - "but use only"!

Those two unreadable snippets are surely under a cipher of some sort. I've already ruled out ROT# for both.

For giggles, I tried doing a vigenere decryption on these two by using the keyword "only." No luck!
Kim Site Admin

Heimdall wrote:
Kim made this into a computer font

lol no

copy paste baby

Okay. The frequency with which ) appears makes me think that it is NOT just "B." Bs aren't that common. What else could it represent? The end of a word? A different letter?--and if so, which one, and what relation would that have with the word "beta" if any? Last year, we started cracking the code because the seals had the alien letters labeled as alpha, zeta, etc--was there a beta node then, and did it directly mean B? Beta also kinda means "secondary."

Also, I realize now that that ((') triad appears THREE TIMES so far. I'm starting to wonder if that means it represents just a single letter or sound. What letter triads are that common?
Kim wrote:
Heimdall wrote:
Kim made this into a computer font

lol no

copy paste baby

JEEZ! git gud!!

I THINK I JUST CRACKED THIS WIDE OPEN HANG ON!!!

DRAGONFIRE!!! MAYBE???

VICSjN3.jpg

Agreed on the triad you noticed! And it seems to come a lot at the beginning of phrases - which, I mean, doesn't necessarily point to any one thing in general, but...

I'm starting to wonder if this is perhaps phonetic.

*dragon dances*

Oh oh oh! Maybe! Translating ALL THE THINGS NOW
Tango aplha beta tango tango alpha

Tabtta?

See if anything jumps out at you!! the triad at the end is that real common one, and S is a common letter, so ... !! And I still can't get a sense of the sequencing from this, if there is any. The only real correlation is like... L and N are pretty close to one another in the alphabet, and the (possible) L and N glyphs are fairly similar--just the one ) different

Smithie wrote:
Tango aplha beta tango tango alpha

Tabtta?

Which coded text is this referring to, Smithie? The one from the puzzle6 riddle? :)

If we match that against Puzzle6's clue, we get 'sl[x]'. Which is a valid English wordform - sly...?

Hmm, have you checked it against the text on the tablet? If that turns out to be gibberish, we may need to backtrack XD

The only thing that doesn't quite make sense - one of the wiggly-line-bracket trios - the one you assigned to 'n' - appears as a single character on one of the tablet images where Kim's holding it up. Hrrrm.

Well, not the only thing that doesn't make sense, but that's the first thing that stands out, rather.

Hrm hrm hrm.

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2018 » Oceanic code/language translation and discussion!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus