Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Guestbook?

Kim Site Admin

Sanne wrote:
I think the placement of things might be more convenient if placed elsewhere

Exactly. That's a perfect example of something I, as a web designer, could be doing better to help the users. :) Placing options closer to where they're actually needed is a great way to anticipate people's needs and prevent them from having to resort to help files. But then again, as you say...
Sanne wrote:
bottom line is (and this comes from a year of experience working customer services for a big cellphone company): People are lazy. People don't read.

And running this website has underscored this lesson to me many times over, which is why I shy away from trying to put emphasis on to the help files instead of trying to make the features themselves more obvious where possible. Something like BBCode, okay, sure, beyond the basic buttons provided people might need to buckle down and read a few paragraphs of explanation if they want more, and your idea of placing a link to the explanation right on the text widget was an excellent way to help future users. I know it's impossible to eliminate all questions from all users. There are still going to be people who come with a different mindset or a different set of expectations and get confused by things that others might find very intuitive. But "make things ridiculously simple" is the design philosophy that's generally being strived for around here. Every second someone has to spend reading a help file is a second they're not making a super sweet character profile. And that makes me a sad panda.

Sanne wrote:
I think that's what I'm doing wrong here too: I suggest before I really looked. I don't click anywhere, I just assume it's not there and then I make a suggestion. It's terrible and inconvenient because usually you can find it pretty easily. (as proven)

I'd much rather you were vocal and made suggestions than not. Even if some of your suggestions already exist, 1) When something is re-suggested it affirms to me that it was a good investment of time to create the thing in the first place, and 2) it's a hint that that feature could be improved somehow. So thank you! :D
Kim Site Admin

Helix wrote:
WAIT I HAVE ANOTHER SUGGESTION

Er, can we be able to reply to the comments on the guestbook? Not just like have to go to the other profile to reply to something? Like how comments work on DA and other websites like it. I guess, like as if the profile was a piece of art.

Direct comment replies should now be available. Please test it vigorously.

You will also no longer receive a notification when you comment on your own character (or on your own comment). Just when someone else does.
Sanne wrote:
I am no longer receiving emails when someone posts in the guestbook. The notifications do show up in the Dashboard, but it's a bit too cluttered and I don't check it often.

Email notifications of comments are now a supported feature. Visit your settings to turn them on and off. :)
Kim wrote:
Direct comment replies should now be available. Please test it vigorously.

*Salutes* WILL DO!

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Guestbook?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus