Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2018 » Anvil symbol discussion (SOLVED)

Keel Bone may refer to the breast bone
That was my thought too, and I went down the hole of reading about the creation of everything from Ymir.
In the story all of the making of mjolnir Loki distracts the dwarf by stinging him three times which caused the handle of the hammer to be slightly too short.

The forge muscle could perhaps be the Gods thrown by one of the gods that killed his brother.
Norse mythology?! *Fist pumps in excitement* I love Norse mythology!!

The myth of Ragnarok explains how the world will end. In the time just before the battle, the rivalry and tension between the gods and the giants will increase. There will be a constant war and anarchy on Earth. Fenrir will swallow the sun and moon. The stars will fall and the mountains crumble. Ragnarok itself begins when the god Loki breaks his bounds and, with the help of the fire giant Surt, leads the giants in an attack on Asgard.

In the end both the giants and the gods are killed, and the earth is set on fire by Surt. Only Vidar, Magni, and the human couple Lif and Lifrathsir will survive. They will inherit Asgard and a new green earth-- the ultimate expression of the Norse belief that there is a better world to come.

...there's that...and...

Idk why but my mind keeps drifting off towards the story of Tyr and Fenrir...

So...

Maybe I'll look more into that next? *Has my face in an actual book*

EDIT: Yes, must look into the story behind Tyr and Fenrir...I have a strong feeling it has to do with that somehow...
In my book it gives separate little stories/descriptions about both Tyr and Fenrir...

Here goes...

Fenrir:
A wolf monster and the son of Loki and the giantess Angrboda. When Fenrir roared, his lower jaw scraped the Earth and his snout lifted up to heaven. He became so fierce that the gods decided he must be tied up. Only Tyr was able to do this, using the magic chain, Gleipnir. Fenrir will break free at Ragnarok, devour Odin, and then be killed by Vidar.

Tyr:
A god of war, the patron of athletes, and a son of Odin and Frigg. When the gods decided to tie up the wolf monster Fenrir, they asked the dwarfs to forge a magic chain strong enough to hold it. Fenrir was so ferocious that it could only be bound if the gods first tricked it into believing that they would afterward set it free. Fenrir did not trust the gods, so Tyr put his hand in the wolf's mouth as an act of good faith. When Fenrir was bound and not set free, it bit off Tyr's hand. Tyr was thereafter known as the one handed.

...and here's a bit more on Gleipnir, the magic chain.

The magic chain that bound Fenrir was made from the sinew of a bear, the spit of a bird, the sound of a cat's step, the breath of a fish, the root of a mountain, and the beard of a woman. As the wolf monster struggled to free itself, all the gods laughed, except Tyr, whose hand was in Finrir's mouth.
My head's gonna explode...

Maybe it has something to do with Garm?

Garm:
The fearsome dog chained at the entrance to Niflheim, where it guards the land of the dead. At the final battle of Ragnarok, Garm will break free and fight with Tyr, and they will kill each other.
Hey, guys! If it helps out, here's a tip from a bottle I just uncorked:

"Anvil: In some versions, the sewn-mouth one has replaced the bone-splitter."

Good luck, everyone!
Dragonfire Moderator

I'm pretty sure this has to do with the Þórsðrápa, specifically when Thor visits the house of Geirrǫðr.
Dragonfire Moderator

Thor visits the home of the giant Gerrod, in the company of either Þjálfi or in some versions, Loki. The giants attempt to kill Thor against the ceiling by raising his chair and crushing him, but Thor uses a gift he was given by another giantess to strike the ceiling and descend, crushing the skulls of Gerrod's daughters on the way down. Thor then kills Gerrod by throwing a lump of molten iron at him.
Dragonfire Moderator

The stanza in which the giantesses die is Þórsdrápa 14:5-8, but that doesn't seem to work, hrm.
https://norse-mythology.org/tales/loki-and-the-dwarves/

https://norse-mythology.org/tales/loki-bound/

Might be worth looking into with the new info from the bottle.

Ty btw!
Ilmarinen Moderator

Don't mind me I'll just be here.... watchin.......
FuMehMF.gif
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/pre/pre05.htm

Will read into this tonight. I was sure it had something to do with the death of baldur going off of the bone splutter idea.

Within a skaldic tale about the bone-splitter and his master
1) Takes place in the story

Wherein the bone-keels of the womb-bearing flood makers are broken
2) The death of Baldur was felt around the universe and all beings within it wept for him. Giant's incluing, except Thokk who was Loki in disguise.

It lies just before the end of the tosser of the forge-morsel
3) Takes place in the story before Ragnarok and preceeds the event as a whole.
Dragonfire Moderator

12. The giants, a skerry-nation of the cold waves, fled and hurried into their refuge, accompanied Thor, the crusher of these beach-kin. The giants, Danes of the skerry and the outlying sanctuary, admitted defeat when Thor and Thjalfi, the bow-warrior kinsmen, stood resolutely.

13. When the warriors, endowed with minds of valour, entered the giant-cave, there was a great din among these welsh-enemies, the giants of the circular walled cave. Thor, the peace-reluctant slayer of these mountain-dwellers who dwell in this welsh-province and in this cliff-cave, were put in a trap and on the dire, grim chair of the giantess'.

14. Thor's was forced head-first against the rafters of the cave, but the giantesses were crushed against the rocks of the cave floors. Thor, the rider of the thunder-storm chariot, broke the backbones of both of these giantess cave-maidens.

15. Thor, earth's son, taught them an uncommon lesson, but the [giants] of the stony-mountains did not cease their merry ale-feast. Geirrod, frightener of warriors, and giant kinsman of Sudri with tongs thrust an iron-morsel, cooked in the forge at the mouth of Thor, Odin's helper.

53. Thor, the oppressor of the troll womens giant-kin, opened wide his hands at the heavy, red hot iron that flew from the tongs' of the giant,

16. and thus Thor, the swift hastener of battle and old friend of Throng, caught the molten lump in the air with his hands; the hissing cinder took flight from his the furious palms of Geirrod the ardent lover of Hrimnir's maiden, and it went straight towards Thor, who strongly misses his daughter Thrud.

17. The wall of the cave shook; the giant-king Geirrod's broad head was brought underneath the pillar of the cave wall. Thor, the splendid step-father of Ull, thrust the harmful bolt of iron with great force down through the middle of the evil giants girdle, like one might cast the tooth of a fishing-line!

It's the Thorsdrapa, I'm certain. I'm just not sure what format of answer we're trying to feed the thing.
Tonight I will help you look .
How many more days do we have for epic week? Until Friday or Sunday?
Ilmarinen Moderator

Epic Week will go into overtime if need be :)
Ilmarinen Moderator

It started last Tuesday.
Then today is the final day?
Ilmarinen Moderator

Theoretically. I can't remember if it was set to end at midnight, or if today is an "official" EW day as well. Either way, there will be overtime until everything is completed!

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2018 » Anvil symbol discussion (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus