Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2018 » Anvil symbol discussion (SOLVED)

Dragonfire Moderator

... ð ...?

Oh for crying out
Dragonfire Moderator

HEIMDALL IF YOU ONLY HAD ANY IDEA OF HOW MUCH ICELANDIC I PUT INTO THAT TEXT BOX EARLIER TODAY

dTa.gif
Dragonfire wrote:
... ð ...?

Oh for crying out

It's even funnier if you think about it that ð can be th [sometimes like þ too. I see them interchanged sometimes??? þ makes the th sound, but ð is eth which ended up just becoming D after a while? ] like in Thor Lmfaooo.

Perhaps coincides with "a part of what his parents gave him" his name!
Dragonfire Moderator

Yuuup.

Yup.
Tar

Heimdall wrote:
lcAd9OK.gif
Brilliant!!

But we'll have to see if that is right..
Dragonfire Moderator

ð.

adr.gif
Ilmarinen Moderator

mzgQw.gif
Ilmarinen Moderator

YOU GUYS ROCK.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Quote:
It's even funnier if you think about it that ð can be th [sometimes like þ too. I see them interchanged sometimes??? þ makes the th sound, but ð is eth which ended up just becoming D after a while? ] like in Thor

So, the difference between thorn (þ) and eth (ð) is that thorn is voiceless and eth is voiced. Like the difference between "thing" and "the." Although eth isn't quite that simple. It's sorta like a voiced "th" mixed with "d" so it generally gets Anglicized as "d."
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

giphy.gif
Heimdall wrote:
Quote:
It's even funnier if you think about it that ð can be th [sometimes like þ too. I see them interchanged sometimes??? þ makes the th sound, but ð is eth which ended up just becoming D after a while? ] like in Thor

So, the difference between thorn (þ) and eth (ð) is that thorn is voiceless and eth is voiced. Like the difference between "thing" and "the." Although eth isn't quite that simple. It's sorta like a voiced "th" mixed with "d" so it generally gets Anglicized as "d."

Isn't thorn used for eth in runes?
Ilmarinen Moderator

Yup, in the younger and elder futharks they're represented by the same letter. In the younger futhark especially a lot of different sounds are written the same since there are only 16 letters. Later it was expanded again into the futhork, and eth and thorn got 2 different letters.

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2018 » Anvil symbol discussion (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus