Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Dwarf Mine

Dwarf Mine GM (played by Malcolm) Topic Starter

"They were polite and discussed terms with me, until I insisted on seeing Grimley himself." says Fr Michael, "Something told me they had murdered him, and they realised I knew. So then, of course, they wouldn't let me back up to the surface. Then they haven't harmed me physically, but they have threatened me. They say that unless I accept that Colston colliery belongs to the dwarves who mine it, and not to Lord Percival, then I am a reactionary force, and will need to be eliminated."
Galiena Reyns (played by Juls)

Fear, mostly for Fr Michael, and a little for herself, went through her at the term 'eliminated' and she took a deep breath to calm herself, feeling as if the weight of the world were on her shoulders.

She'd barely left the confines of the temple these past two years. Her first real mission... to find that healing artifact, had ended in failure. And she was losing confidence that she could help Lord Percival and the McCains come to some peaceful resolution. But, she was determined to get Fr Michael out of here... she just didn't know how yet.

She glanced toward the door, wondering if Ursa was there... listening. She had to assume that he was. "But Fr! The conditions these poor dwarves needed to endure! The mine SHOULD be theirs...Surely St Barbara would agree..."

She shook her head, cupped one hand to her ear and pointed at the door, hoping he understood. "I will give a sermon to the dwarves... to lift their spirits. Do you have any advice?"

Fr Michael winks at you. "I see you've joined them" he says, in a loud voice, "Galiena, how could you do that? And now you will give a sermon that betrays Ulesh, full of references to the dwarf proletariat and the necessity of violence. Don't expect me to agree with you. No, no, no. I can't stand this any more."

His sudden pep gave her some encouragement and she sighed as loudly as she could manage. "Very well, Fr Michael. I will leave you then. But I'll return later to see if perhaps you've had a change of heart."

She gave him a very brief hug, then hurried to the door and knocked. "Ursa!" she called loudly, as if she did not suspect he was right on the other side of the door.

Ursa unbars the door with suspicious speed. But it's impossible to know whether he has been eavesdropping or not.

"I think we can re-educate Fr Michael." he says, "Mentally he's not very strong. But I'm calling an emergency meeting of the dwarf workers. How long will it take you to prepare your sermon?"

"Can you give me an hour to prepare? Also, if you would spare some parchment and ink, I didn't think to bring any with me," she replied, feeling at least somewhat confident that Ursa believed he had won her over.

Ursa leads you through the big hall with the rolling machines. "It's too noisy to work here", he says, "I'll give you the privacy of my chamber. Most of the dwarves just kip down next to the equipment - I don't want any traitor making a break for the surface."
He leads you into another rock-hewn chamber. It is far messier than Grimley's chamber, with a straw mattress and sheets making up a rude bed. There's a table, a bit too low for you, which serves as a desk, and it is strewn with papers. There's a quill pen and ink, and some clean parchment, which he gives you.
"I'll leave you alone" he says, "If you need anything, just call".

Traitors... it was encouraging to know that perhaps some of the dwarves were already unhappy with the way things were going. Hopefully there were enough of them.

"This will do fine, thank you..." she said, feeling as if she were sitting down at a child's table and dipped the quill in the ink to begin working out what she would say to the dwarves. She meant to lift their spirits alright. But perhaps not in the way Ursa intended...

She resisted the urge to look at the other papers scattered around the table until she was nearly done outlining her sermon, but then thumbed through quickly.

Galiena writes down the notes to her sermon. Her curiosity gets the better of her, and she can't help but thumb through Ursa's papers. They are minutes of "revolutionary conventions". They say things like "comrade Dago said that the dwarven proletariat was an example to the longshanks workers, who toiled under similar oppression [applause]" `"Comrade Balin urges military preparedness for when the longshanks attack inevitably comes [applause]". There's quite a bit of stuff in this vein.

Eventually Ursa comes back. "Are you ready yet?" he says, "I'm calling an emergency assembly."

The big rolling machine winds down and the sound of hammering fades away. The dwarves are slowly moving through Dwarf Mine, into the big machine hall.

"I believe so..." she said, not really feeling quite ready at all. She'd always been better with things like ministering to the sick and injured than at sermons and felt a twinge of nervousness. But she closed her eyes for just a moment, to connect with Ulesh, and felt his reassuring presence. He wished a peaceful end to this conflict, but she knew, underlying that ultimate desire for peace, was a willingness to fight and protect.

Tranquility is upheld through strength

Peace is always a result of mutual fear

She nodded to Ursa and stood, picking up her notes and following him.

Ursa take Galiena through some passages and into the machine hall. The "committee" of four dwarves met earlier are sitting on a raised dias, facing some thirty of so worker dwarves, sat cross-legged on the floor. There is a chair reserved for Ursa.
"My comrade dwarves" says Ursa, "we have finally made contact with the longshanks mine owner, Lord Percival, and he wishes to negotiate terms". There is big cheer. "He has offered supplies in exchange for coal, I have told him, supplies in exchange for diamonds [cheers]. But, as some of you are already aware, bad rumours are circulating about our diamonds. We must get to the source of these rumors, and destroy the counter-revolutionary forces responsible"

One of the committee stands up to speak.
"We must radicalise the Dunstan dwarves, who have been brought in to break our revolutionary action" he says, "That's not something we can do alone. These false rumours about our diamonds may help us do that."
"The Dunstan dwarf who came here was very counter-revolutionary" says another, "so we sent him home".

"We have hopes", says Ursa, that Fr Michael may come round to supporting our dwarf revolution. Because we already have another cleric, who chose to stay with us of her own free will, instead of returning to the surface. Sister Galiena [cheer]. We will have a vote on whether she is to become our chaplain. But first, she will give us a sermon. Sister Galiena, over to you".

There is a quiet, as every dwarf waits for Galiena to speak.

A flutter of nerves went through Galiena's stomach as she looked out at the assembled dwarves, particularly when they cheered Ursa. Swaying them would not be an easy task. Here goes nothing...

"Let us bow our heads to pay respects to the departed Chief Grimley McCain. May the path his soul travels be forever blessed."

The cleric bows her own head in silent respect for a few long moments before looking up again and clearing her throat.

"First, I must commend you, dwarves, for believing in your cause enough to be willing to fight. To be willing to lay down your lives for it," she started. "To even be willing to risk the whole McCain line for this revolution. It must surely mean it's a lofty ideal indeed."

(pause)

"And also for giving up the vice of hard liquor. Comrade Kaynin and comrade Ursa tells me that it has been banned," she gestured toward the committee. "Praise Ulesh!"

(short pause)

"Why just hours ago, I sat in the Azure Lion for a hot dinner. And do you know what the Dunstan dwarves were doing?"

(short pause)

"Drinking! Drinking and arguing! Gambling even! So I must commend you there as well. It is refreshing to be around sober dwarves who truly value hard work. Dwarves who do not drink in excess. Who do not argue. It is said there is nothing as good for the soul as a long day of labor.

"Kaynin tells me the committee would even ban ale if the water was safe enough to drink. It is admirable! Truly a goal of even the most chaste cleric."

(longer pause as she tries to determine if her speech might be having the intended effect)

"As some of you may have guessed, Lord Percival asked me come here tonight. He hopes to see if some sort of reconciliation with clan McCain might be reached. To begin trade of oil, hot meals, and strong liquor in exchange for coal. Pah! As if you'd care to have those earthly things! Adan Dunstan and I could barely even convince comrade Kaynin to accept Lord Percival's gift."

(short pause as she gives Kaynin the warmest smile she could manage)

"I am glad to have come, though. To have witnessed first hand the worker's paradise which comrade Ursa and the committee have brought forth!

(long pause)

"There are those on the surface that advocate to Lord Percival to seal the mine if a reconciliation is not soon reached. But there is little doubt the committee has already planned for this and will know how ensure your safety when that happens."

(pause)

"Let me end with the mantra of Ulesh:
The hand which strikes first invites destiny"

(Ends with Thaumaturgy- effect: cause harmless tremors in the ground for 1 minute

The dwarves are quiet. Which Galiena thinks is probably having the desired effect - they are thinking twice about the dwarf revolution. Then the earth starts shaking, and all panic breaks loose.
"Quick" says Ursa, and grabs Galiena's hand, "get under a doorway. That's the strongest part."
Dwarves are running hither and thither, checking the pit props for collapse.

Then there's comparative quiet. Then another panic. The oil lamps have changed colour.
"The earthquake must have released firedamp from the old coal workings" says a dwarf, "put out all the oil lamps, and get all the fans working."
It's maybe not as complete confusion as it appears, most of the dwarves seem to know what they are doing, but as the lamps are quenched, Galiena cannot see.

"Do we need to get everyone out?" she asked Ursa from their spot that she thinks is under one of the doorways as she put her free hand against the wall to try to get her bearings. She debated her next move... being in complete darkness wasn't something she had foreseen. She could ask Ulesh to bring forth a light, but she wasn't prepared to do that just yet.

" I can't evacuate" says Ursa, "because then the longshankses will break our strike. But yes we should get everyone out. I can see a bit in the dark - we dwarves can - so hold onto me and I'll make sure you're alright".
Suddenly there is a massive explosion.
"It's up in the coal workings" says a dwarf, "fortunately no comrades there".
Ursa seems to suddenly have an idea. Taking Galiena by the hand, he goes deep into the complex, calling two of the committee dwarves with him. They then pick something heavy off the floor. There is more travel through the maze of passages. The heavy object is dropped.
"Bring that down" says Ursa, and pickaxes are applied to the roof of the tunnel. There is the sound of falling rock.
"OK, let's go" says Ursa.
There is then the sound of the cage going down the mineshaft. Galiena is led through more tunnels. Then she hears Adan's voice.
"We heard your explosion", said Adan, "I've got thirty dwarves at the surface. Do you need any help to get you out?"
"I think we're alright" says Ursa, "but there's just one casualty. Chief Grimley has been killed in a collapse after the explosion".

She quickly lost all sense of direction in the darkness. Her heart fell and unbidden tears threatened when the dwarves brought down the tunnel behind them. The tremors should have been harmless. Had she trapped Fr Micheal? Doomed him to die there in that cell? Why, Ulesh? she implored her deity silently. Have I displeased you?

The next few moments were even more confusing... "Adan?" she said questioningly, forcing back the threatening tears, as she thought she heard his voice. And Grimley!? She thought she was better at sorting truth from lies, but suddenly it seemed nothing she thought she knew was true. "Fr Michael... we can't just leave him..." she implored to both Ursa and Adan.

"You're right", says Ursa, "Fr Michael. What are we do to with Fr Michael?"
"Release Fr Michael and bring him to the surface" says Adan.
"He's not mentally fit," says Ursa.
Galiena can hear the dwarves, who can detect her, but she can't see anything.
"I don't believe you" says Adan.
"It's not your place to believe or disbelieve" says Ursa, "you're just the messenger, a longshanks lackey. We'll discuss this in private".
Galiena is led through more tunnels. Then she is sat down on a low bench. There appears to the Ursa and some members of the committee present.
"Now what do we do?" says Ursa, "If we eliminate Fr Michael, Lord Percival will eliminate us. If we release him, he knows too much. If we pretend he died accidentally, that's too convenient, no one will believe us. For now, we can hold onto him, but that's not a permanent solution."
"Why not sabotage the shaft lift?" says Kaynin "that way, everyone sees Fr Michael die. No suspicion attaches to us. We can kill that irritating counter-revolutionary Dunstan dwarf at the same time."
"Anyone any better plan?" says Ursa.

Okay... Adan was not in on this after all... maybe it was just the pitch dark that had her feeling a little disoriented and too quick to jump to assumptions.

Her heart rate quickened even more when Kaynin and Ursa plotted Fr Michael's death... right in front of her! At least they seemed to believe she was on their side.

"Ulesh does not condone being the first to strike," she stated.

She reached down and grasped the medallion hung about her neck, shaped like two hands grasped together in agreement. "Ulesh, grant me a light to guide my path," she asked, causing the medallion to suddenly shine brightly.

"Killing Fr Michael and the Dunstan dwarf in cold blood is a sure way to earn his wrath," she added, getting up from the bench and inserting herself into the committee's conversation. "Do you not want His favor?" She sighed, as if she did not much like what she was about to suggest, "What if I asked Ulesh to change Fr Michael's memory? So that... Grimley died in the explosion?"

Galiena's holy symbol glows brightly, and illuminates the whole chamber, which is a rock-hewn small private chamber off the main machine hall.
"What do you think we've been trying to do for the past two days?" says Kaynin, "but to change Fr Michael's memory and re-educate him? But it failed, he was too stubborn."
"So give the magical method a go" says Ursa, "there are risks, but there are also risks in sabotaging the shaft lift". Galiena, what do you need to work this magic?
"I also want revenge on that annoying Dunstan dwarf" says Kayin, "but we'll get him when we get to the surface and start radicalising the Dunstan clan. Lord Percival won't know what he's started with his rejection of our perfectly good diamonds".
"Don't worry" says Ursa, "but all in good time."

"I'll need incense and a bowl of the cleanest water you've got," she said, hoping Ulesh would forgive her deceit in the name of upholding the peace.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Dwarf Mine

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus