Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Treasure Lamp 2.0 (closed)

The Treasure Lamp (played by 8TigerBunnyTora) Topic Starter

The corners of the Fae’s lips couldn’t help but rise at the small declaration. He remembered what it was like those years ago, when it had just been himself, Ayura, and…well… A small shadow passed over hie eyes, and his smile had turned a bit wistful, turning his thoughts to other things. It warmed him again to reminded of the time when he too came to fall in love with this place, to adopt these people as dear to his heart. And in knowing that joy, it was always warming to see someone begin to share the fondness that he had for this place, for these people.

It had…been a while since he had seen Ayura look so unfettered and free when sparring. As painful as the idea of moving on was, having these new members would hopefully offer them a new chapter as a group. It had been a good long while since he had last seen everyone so relaxed and open, and he had hope that such would continue.

Kaito chuckled. “Try ta use th’ front door when y’can, ‘m not sure th’ dragon’s too keen on you scrambling’ out o’er there ’nless it’s a bit of’n emerg’ncy,” he could only shrug in return. “Have ya decided where yer room is yet?”
Frost clacked his teeth at the newcomer, but Ayura patted him on the snout, from which he calmed, nuzzling into her hand with a vibrating hum in his throat. The elf couldn’t help but giggle, obliging and fondly scratching him. “He can get temperamental sometimes, but he’s actually very sweet,” she assured Damian as Frost shifted his weight, adjusting his wings. That childish and playful demeanor was still evident in the elf, even amongst the serenity that would display her fondness and familiarity with the creature.

“It’s a weird thing, really, we aren’t sure what his story is, but…long story short, somebody wanted to pawn his egg for something in the shop,” she explained with a small sigh. “This little guy hatched two days later. Nobody even wanted to try taking care of him, and they kind of left it to me,” she shrugged. “Not that it was too much of a bother. There was a general assumption that I’m the only one who has a pet, and I could handle another.”

Frost bristled his wings. He was just barely taller than Ayura when bent over like this, although he could probably fit one person on his back. He seemed a little naturally restless, but was comfortable here when the elf was handling him. The latter glanced over at Damian. “You wanna come say hello, or are you good back there?”
Brown-tipped, orange fox ears had pricked up the moment Lance had opened the door, and the sword was gingerly mounted upon its ornamental space on the wall. Once it was secure, the black hooded cape shifted and Asher glanced back to acknowledge Lance. “Oh, hello there,” he greeted with a bit of a hum. “You’re acquainting yourself, I presume? Welcome to my little abode.”

The foundry, being much tidier than the workshop, had large, similar wooden crates piled up against one wall. There was a sizable vat of water aside where an anvil stood proud, both in close proximity to the large fireplace, where pokers, blowers, and other stoking implements hung just above the maw. Bladed weaponry of all types donned the walls; swords, spears, sickles, daggers, and all the sort hung upon the walls, as well as a few shields. Some of the blades had intricate ornamental etchings. There was also a large work table that was bolted to the stone floor with a metal counter. It was currently clear, but had additional crates stored beneath it.

“I’m just cleaning up a bit, I actually have a delivery to make to a client once we all head out to the markets later. By all means, look around, but try not to cut yourself on anything.” The smile was wry.
Seychelle Jenner (played anonymously)

At Kaito's words Katlina tilted her chin back in a soft laugh before turning the motion into a shake of her head. "No worries there, while I don't dislike creatures in general I've never had a touch for making them comfortable, Ichor or no. I'll be using the normal entrance for all but emergencies. They are... " She paused, glancing at the ceiling as she felt for the right word, "Majestic beasts. And they seemed smart too."

Slowly she wandered to stand beside the fae, giving a shrug when he asked what room she'd found. "I've moved into the one next to yours actually. But don't let it go to your head. I think you snore so I may need to move further away." Giving an easy smile Katlina turned to walk slowly toward the training room doors, pausing and turning to raise an eyebrow at Kaito's. "Hey how do meals work around here? Is there a rotation for who cooks, or... Do we all just sorta fend as we like?"
Damian listened intently to Ayura's explanation. So it seemed that Frost was a surprise arrival, but by the looks of things not an entirely unwelcome one. The beast seemed really comfortable in Ayura's presence, something which would aid immensely in keeping it calm if he approached. He subtly took a deep breath, doing his best to steel himself for what he was about to do, but trying his best not to show any nervousness.

Although, the corner of his mouth did twitch upward at Ayura's question. Instead of answering her, he took a few steps towards Frost. He moved at a nice, even pace so as not to startle the dragon; at least, if he could help it. The mage took another deep breath as he approached before stopping about two feet from the beast. Somewhat slowly, yet moving with deliberation, he raised his left hand and gently stroked Frost's snout.
"Hello there," he said softly, a soft smile appearing on his face. "I'm Damian. Nice to meet you."

Kaito released a derisive snort at the mention of snoring, lightly tossing his chin. “Me? Kaj snores, but ‘e falls ‘sleep ’n his workshop ’s much’s his room, so…” the Fae simply shrugged. Somehow with her answer, he felt comforted that he had made the right decision…this time. There had been something that he couldn’t quite place about Kat, but if the ease of which he was able to connect with her meant anything, he could hope that it would translate similarly for the rest of the group. After all, that was what the Treasure Lamp was for. He had been rather skeptical of Ayu’s ideals years ago, but had come to support them wholeheartedly.

Making the decision long ago to come along for the ride had been the best thing he’d ever done. And as much as past wounds continued to ache, it was a balm to know that he could make another contribution to this group—never enough to repay what he received, of course, but it was the least he could do. For everyone here. Maybe for his guilt too, but definitely for everyone here, Katlina included.

Kai was pulled back to the present by the sound of the rogue’s voice—oh. She’d left him standing there in the middle of the arena like an idiot. “S’a pretty informal roster,” he shrugged. “S’usually Ayu, or th’ twins, or…” he trailed off, realizing he’d been about to mention a few more names…but he managed to stop himself. “…just anyone who wantsa give a go at it, really. An’ s’not weird fer anyone ta go out to a tavern ‘r bar at any point whenever either jus’ cuz they feel like it.”

He shrugged as he opened the door for Kat to step out of the warehouse. “We’re a bit carefree an’ all, an’ s’worked out fine, really. Open ta alot o’things. We’re all bit odd ‘ere, so.”

“Anyway, you been lookin’ around? Place ain’t complicated, but s’nice to be familiar.”
Frost emitted a quiet chitter from its throat as Damian drew close. A fractionally tilted head of mild interest transitioned into a moderately loud chirrup as the mage’s hand approached his face, which may have made Damian hesitate just a moment. However, despite initially recoiling a hair from the touch of a stranger, the dragon soon calmed and allowed himself to be pet, a small gurgle humming in his throat.

Ayura clapped, a light a playful gesture. “Well, guess you’ve passed whatever unspoken test apparently happens here,” she teased, scratching the underside the the dragon’s jaw, eliciting an appreciative grunt before he leaned closer to the elf’s hand for more. “Frost tends to get real picky about who can touch him,” she laughed. “He isn’t too keen about the smell of soot, so sometimes he snaps at Kaj or Ash. Zephyr’s a bit more forgiving.”

There was a high, trilling coo from elsewhere, and from around the wall that was a partial divider, the Aelorie’s long neck craned around to be able to peer at them, deep orange hues blinking. The bird had probably come around after hearing his name or his master’s voice—or perhaps both. After another moment, the rest of the creature’s large girth clambered around the rest of the wall, whistling a single note in greeting, adjusting its large wings.

“Cae’s getting a mite crowded to have any large beasts, or so I’ve heard,” Ayura remarked idly, clicking her tongue. At the signal, Zephyr’s posture loosened a little, still poised but not nearly as much as was usual. Much to Frost’s chagrin, the dragon’s wings twitching in mild annoyance, the elf idled over to Zephyr and ran a hand along the great bird’s crown. “I just thought I’d introduce you to Frost as soon as possible, so he can have time to understand that you’re going to be here with us.”

Turning back toward Kaito, Kat paused to give him a moment to catch up. After all it was nicer to talk face to face than over her shoulder. As a rule Kat much preferred to never have her back to anyone, but it had been a long time since she was able to let her guard down around others. Maybe.. Maybe here. She had felt comfortable the last few moments, she was surprised to realize, a comfortable that was unpracticed and easy. It was refreshing.

Offering an unguarded smile to Kaito she hooked a thumb toward her own chest and raised an eyebrow, "Good because I've got some great dishes up my sleeve. A real untried genius in the kitchen." Her usually stormy grey eyes were light, "So I'll jump in there soon." The last phrase was slightly hesitant, as if she weren't quite sure she should be allowing herself the freedom of saying such so soon after her initiation.

At Kaito's question she seemed to relax again, slipping through the door as the fae opened it for her. "Nah not real familiar yet, not like I want to be. I've really only seen the back exit, the stables, and the training room aside from the main areas... " She shot him a slightly crooked smile. "Do you.. Have a favorite place down here? You could show me around a bit more.." She left it hanging, understanding if he had other duties or plans to attend to.

Kaito lifted an eyebrow at the mention of some good dishes. "We addin' another cook t' th' rotation? Well, guess I better stick 'round fer dinner more often, then," he hummed idly as the two of them ambled out of the double doors of the training center. Often times he would grab some food at one of the many inns or bars that spotted Porthcaul. He used to accompany a couple of others the the Nocturne, but after the incident, he'd stayed away from the place. Too many memories. Maybe it would feel better now if he stayed down below for dinner this time, with more seats to be filled. Maybe it wouldn't feel as painful now that it wasn't so empty.

He had to think for a moment about her other question. Surely, this place was home, but it took several more seconds for him to conclude about where his favorite spot could possibly be.

"Hrn, Ash's forge is nice, but--weird as 't mai' be, my favorite place is actually up top." The pointed playfully at the roof of the complex, indicating something on ground level. "Really up top. Ain't 't funny, that me, the ground grub, might like sleepin' on th' roof, rather than that alley cat?" he chuckled, before the sound seemed to die in his throat as he realized what he'd said. The DuskFae cleared his throat to recompose himself. "Ahem. Anyway, 's'best at night. Not 's pretty 's'n a mountain, but the stars 'r nice, and the small wind at night."
At Frost’s annoyance towards Ayura giving attention to Zephyr, the corner of Damian’s mouth twitched upward for a moment before returning to the soft smile that the rest of his face wore.
“You’re a jealous one aren’t you?” he asked, more to himself than the dragon he was petting. He continued to stroke Frost’s snout for a few moments before he spoke again. “If that’s the case with Asher and Kajanh, then I might be on that list, too, before long,” he said, chuckling slightly.

Damian looked over at his still-new companion.
“I will be assisting Asher in the forge,” the blond Elf continued. “I have extensive knowledge of enchanted engraving, so I offered to help with that part of the manufacturing process, and he accepted.” Damian looked back at Frost, continuing to stroke his snout as long as the dragon would let him.

He still hadn’t addressed Ayura’s question about Cae’bril getting too crowded to have large beasts. And he honestly wasn’t sure how to answer. He sympathized with the plight of the refugees that had fled seemingly en masse to his homeland, but that was all he could do, really. He had no way of helping them himself. He could only watch, wondering if they would ever get the chance to finally return home.

Yes, there were some inconveniences their situation caused, and these could sometimes get annoying, but....in the grand scheme of things his annoyances would probably just sound like whining to others, especially given his social status. Well, Their Majesties seemed to have a handle on it....at least, so it seemed.

Damian started nodding slowly.
“Well, it isn’t too crowded to have large beasts as a general thing,” he said, without really any preface. “However, the large influx of refugees has forced a few recreational running grounds and hunting grounds to shut down to make room for all the extra people.” Damian sighed before continuing, “Stables - especially large public ones - are established structures, and so those are harder eliminate....honestly, it really depends on what we’re willing to give up. I know for a fact that there are others near our family’s status who were unhappy losing the hunting grounds....” Damian’s voice seemed to get softer and softer as he kept speaking, showing that maybe this wasn’t a subject he was comfortable discussing.

As she listened, Kat's features softened and her head canted to one side, eyes resting on Kaito's face as he spoke. She liked the way he talked of his friends, nay his family. When he mentioned "the alley cat" and then redirected the conversation she wondered again briefly what painful memories the group she had joined wanted to put in the past. It was obvious to her that the person or persons who's places she and the others had filled were still and likely would always be missed keenly. A pensive look shadowed her face for a moment as she wondered how to fill such a gap, especially when she hadn't known the people they'd lost. But, she could only ever be herself.

Lifting her gaze to the ceiling Katlina expelled a theatrical sigh and nodded, eyes closing a moment before she smirked at Kaito. "That. Sounds. Lovely. I don't wanna disrespect everything that you and Ayura and everyone else has built here underground because it's truly wonderful, but.." She rocked forward to whisper playfully, "I may join you on the roof fairly often if the company wouldn't be frowned upon." As soon as the words were out her cheeks colored, for she realized how they could be misconstrued to imply.. Gads why did it seem she could dig herself a hole so easily when she preferred open spaces?

Pressing bravely on she continued, "I tend to get claustrophobic with four walls and a roof over my head, so the open sky sounds appealing." Offering a bit of a lame smile she shrugged and gestured vaguely upward. "Anyway, I'd love to see it."

“Hm,” the elf acknowledged, allowing the subject to drop. Though she cared little about the political troubles that plagued any of the kingdoms, it was good to know the goings-on enough to see if such things would affect their operations within said kingdom. If anything, who *didn’t* know about the outrageous fall of Arkaria, and the domino effect of tensions rippling through the rest of Veritae? No kingdom was untouched by such a quick and devastating fall. But there was little point in dwelling on things that she couldn’t do anything about.

“Well, it’s yet another blessing that we’re here in the neutral lands, where we don’t really have to answer to any significant authority. The Trade Council doesn’t really bother us, so long as we pay the tax and do ‘em a solid every now and again.” Even though she had glossed over the previous subject regarding Cae’bril, those violet hues still offered the sympathetic smile on her behalf. “And so thankfully we won’t have to deal with that here.”

Zephyr closed his eye contentedly as Ayura scratched his cheek affectionately, before walking up to Frost and Damian, the former gravitating to her almost immediately. “Alright, we should head back down. We’re all gonna meet up in a bit, but before that, I’m sure there’s room for one more space to tour before I can everyone.” She moved towards the trapdoor and opened it, before slipping down the ladder one rung at a time. “Have you already settled into your room?”
The Fae tilted his head and shrugged, his impish, rogue-like expression towards her own playfulness transitioning into a sympathetic—knowing?—smile. Despite the earth being his inborn affinity...it was embarrassing to even finish the thought. But the idea of company on such nights was more than acceptable. Occasionally, one of the others might come up to stargaze with him, though those times had become more scare since the incident. The notion of company cast a warm feeling over him, and now that Kat was part of the group as well, the reservations had decreased considerably.

“Why not, later t’night’s swell. I dunno what Ayu’s plannin’ for all o’ youse now an’ ’n th’ future—prolly some big ol’ excursion, to start off—maybe—“ he speculated aloud, waving away his own words in a gesture not to worry about it. Ayura had some grand scheme cooked up to make sure everyone was up to snuff. That was just how the spunky elf operated. “But s’fine. We learn to be okay with whatever down ‘ere.”

Beckoning her to step a bit closer, Sparrow lifted his hand. The bangle around his wrist shifted, slithering along his wrist, then palm, before arranging itself into an odd shape—like a magnifying glass with an over head, and no glass. Other thin protrusions sprouted from it— A map, she might realize once the shape completed itself. The oval and line were the hallways, and he protrusions indications of walls. “This place ain’t complicated. The main lounge’s here—“ he gestured towards the space on the oval on the opposite side of the line. “Bedrooms’re on the outside here, kitchen, firs’ study, and anythin’ storage on th’ inside—“ he stirred his finger idly to indicate the oval. “And then errythin’ else ‘ere.” He indicated the line. He bit his lip gently, debating on where he would show her.

A thought occurred to him, “Oh yeah, other’n the roof, the baths’re pretty nice,” he quipped as an afterthought. “This place is attached ta’n un’erground spring, wi’ a few different temp’ratcha pools. Found it when we was buildin’ the place. S’right ‘cross h’hall…” the description ended in a questioning lift of his tone as he pointed at the door, leaving the choice up to Kat.

Grateful to Kaito for graciously moving past her clumsy words Katlina's return smile to the fae held a hint of relief. "Tonight it is then." It was almost unavoidable, in Kat's experience, that when she found even one person to at least attempt to get to know more she inevitably began fumbling over herself committing faux pas after faux pas. Would she ever find herself enjoying the benefits of smooth speech? She'd been around several of the silver tongued in the past and they seemed to have no want for admirers, nor even friends - though the people that some folk counted as friends were nothing more than shallow sycophants. She preferred what was true and deep, even if it was harder won. Whatever family she had found here.. Kat wanted to be careful to cultivate it. It was a chance she had not thought to be given.

Intrigued at the prospect of whatever Ayura had planned, Kat ran a hand through her mahogany strands, mussing it in the process as she considered Kaito's map. She crossed an arm, propped her elbow on it, and tapped her bottom lip with a thumb for a moment, gnawing it a few times before reaching out to point to where the baths had been indicated to be. "I've got days of dust and sweat accumulated, it's almost extra armor by now really." She flicked her gaze to Kaito as she gave a lopsided grin, waiting see how he reacted. She didn't pride herself on smelling like a flower most days, but the idea of a natural spring was a welcome one to say the least. "If I'm to keep ya company tonight it's especially necessary." She glanced down at herself, giving her appearance the once over. Yup. Just as she thought. Travel, more travel, and sparring had left her less than fresh. Frazzled hair and arms a tad smudged she'd gesture helplessly.

Changing the subject quickly then she pointed to where the study was. "Do you guys have much of a library? I'm not a scholar by any means but I'd love to read whatever I c'n find to help me master my powers. Such reading wasn't widely available in my circles." Taking half a step back them she regarded Kaito for a moment, hesitating before asking. "This plan that Ayura has for us new recruits, will you be joining in?" He was after all, the one out of this group she knew best, even if that knowledge was really only surface deep.

((Woops))
Damian's soft smile was colored ever so slightly with relief at Ayura's assurance that none of the refugee-related strife that was currently hurting Cae'bril, in addition to not being beholden to any significant authority, even if she hadn't explicitly addressed the former issue. However, he still nodded ever so slightly as he gave Frost a few final pats before retracting his hand.
"Well, that's good," he said, turning his gaze to face her as she approached. What came next was said in rapid Elvish, just at the low end of Ayura's range of hearing. "The lesser the possibility of anyone accusing me of whining, the better." A hint of a strangely sheepish smirk passed over his features as he said this.

When the dark-haired elf started making her way down the ladder, the blonde one waited for a few moments until she was far enough down for him to follow, closing the trapdoor behind them when he was through. He let out a sheepish chuckle at her question.
"Actually...no, I haven't," he said, once again speaking in Common. "I was going to after I left the forge earlier, but I decided to explore a bit more. That was why you found me in the warehouse when you did."

((grr. I keep pushing reply instead of edit. Sorry for the clutter I don't know how to delete posts.))

Starting over. It was such a scary concept. Many times, because of the life that he had led, the idea of starting over was often preceded by abandonment. He had started over plenty of times in Ristvak, and again here in the Treasure Lamp as he once again left his life behind. When they had lost the others, the idea of beginning again with new people was almost revolting to him, as it held the connotation of leaving such dear friends behind in memory. But somehow, he felt quieted now. He had reluctantly made that choice to advocate for this new influx of trainees, and it dawned on him now that in the act of supporting them, the memory of the others would be carried on, not left behind. With Kat here, there was no more regret, and her presence lifted a weight from his heart.

“The study’s jam-packed with books, an’ there’s plenty in the nooks’n crannies o’ other places, like in La’s ‘poth’cary or Kaj’s workshop,” he hummed, shifting his weight between his heels. He glanced towards a wall, absently dragging his dark, elongated toes a few inches across the dirt floor of the Warehouse. He was in his element, and it would be difficult to explain to anyone just how much awareness and ‘sight’ he had down here in this place. “No one’s up there ri’ now, if ya wanna have a look.” He glanced over at her, tossing his chin down the hallway as a playful motion for her to follow.

The study seemed little more than a walk-in closet. A wooden desk had been inserted into the corner, where a stone paperweight sat atop of some written manuscripts. Shelves lined every possible space and they were crammed with stacked books—horizontally, vertically, and more than a few had bookmarks, or more than one. “Xy collects ‘em, mostly, but we all drop a few here an’ there when we find some’n interestin’.”

The younger elf lightly shoved him once he got to the bottom for he ladder. “Hello?! Isn’t that supposed to be one of the first things you do?” She giggled. It was a nice feeling, to want to share again. She couldn’t even begin to describe how cumbersome it felt to just hold everything in. “Next thing you know, you’re exhausted but there’s still more work to do!” There was such a childlike excitement and impishness that seemed to surface when she was more comfortable. Damian may have only realized such since he came to Porthcaul.

“You should get your things settled in, I just have to organize some stuff for later,” she called as she zipped by him, her brown cape fluttering behind.

Kat's eyebrow raised a fraction as she realized Kaito had somehow sensed with his own powers that no one was in the study. What would it be like to have such awareness? An excited grin tugged her lips as she listened to Kaito mention all the books stashed in various places. What stories would she find in them? Would there be anything about the afterlife? Death? She banished the thought, remembering snatches of her conversation with Sparrow before she knew is true name. Sometimes it was best to move on, to work towards honoring the memory of those she'd hurt, by making herself into someone better. She could start by perfecting her powers, by not avoiding them like the plague. Reading and learning about them would help with that.

These thoughts would be occupying her mind as she followed Kaito up to the study. It was small, but he hadn't been kidding when he said they had a few books. It was packed. She wandered the walls running a finger over the book bindings as she read their titles. Books on tinkering, Ichor, fighting styles and combat arts, books about the world...

Pausing suddenly, her hand lingered on a book titled "The Druids of Eshel Ata." What would she find in this one? Would she find tales of her own family history? A brief but longing frown shadowed her face, but she'd clear her throat and turn away from the bookshelves, letting her hands drop to her sides. "You weren't kidding. You've got some of everything up here. Wonder what other books are hiding out.". Her grin was back and she flicked a hand at the bookshelves. "I'm sure I'll find plenty of useful things to occupy myself with here, though - I may take them outside to read." She cringed a bit.

"So.. Sparrow.. she emphasized his pseudonym, "Do you go on many missions?" She thought of the sword he'd been transporting when they'd met, of the illusionist who'd tried to steal it. Would he show up again? She shivered at the idea, while simultaneously felt the insane desire to meet him again, once she'd grown her own powers.
When Ayura lightly shoved him, a sideways grin appeared on Damian's face. When she lightly and jokingly admonished him, he laughed softly, his grin widening slightly.
"Well excuse me for being curious," he called after her as she raced past him. "You have a lot of things here that could be considered 'distracting'." He shook his head as the end of her cloak went out of sight around the corner, chuckling to himself as he did so.

Given everything that he had went through in the last week or so, he had initially figured it would be a fair amount of time before he would feel happy again. And yet here he was, grinning from ear-to-ear as his new compatriot and....friend?....told him to go settle in as she excitedly ran off. There was something charming about her newfound or rediscovered excitement and happiness since they had arrived and been initiated. He definitely remembered that night a week ago when they had destroyed that tome that this definitely hadn't been there. Indeed, immediately before the mage had had his visions, she had been crying. But seeing her like this now...heh heh, well, it was infectious.

Still smiling slightly, Damian adjusted the position of the strap of his rucksack across his torso and then turned and walked up the hallway, back towards the study, and the empty rooms that had been waiting for the new arrivals. He walked past the Study and made his way to the second door from Kaito's door, seeing that the one right next to it had been claimed. He stopped in front of the last empty room, ready to open the slightly ajar door the rest of the way, but he felt his gaze being pulled to the door that had the sign with nothing on it. He thought about approaching the door, his respect for the privacy of his new companions warring with his curiosity. The mage took a hesitant step towards it, but before he could, he heard a noise from inside his chosen room.

He stopped, turned and looked at the door in mild surprise and curiosity. Who could be in there? He cautiously approached the door and opened it as silently as he could. What he saw deepened both his surprise and curiosity. A female figure in a royal blue cloak stood inside with her back to him. She had long, blonde hair, with a pair of white fox ears sticking up through it. She was shorter in stature than him. After a moment or two of thinking to himself, Damian remembered that this must be Lala, Asher's sister. She seemed to be messing with something on the desk that she was in front of, blocking whatever it was with her body. He took a step into the room and softly cleared his throat. "Um, hello," he said, a little awkwardly. It wasn't the best of starts, but it was better than just sneaking up on her.

Sparrow ambled ahead of Kat in order to show her just where the study was; afterwards he simply stayed back, standing in the door and leaning on the doorframe as he watched Katlina marvel over the books with such fascination. It was fun to read the small flashes in her eyes--wonder being at the forefront. In truth, any knowledge collector willing to learn more would be mightily impressed by their collection of tomes. However, it gave him pause when he watched a different torrent rush through her altogether as her hand hovered over a particular section of the shelf. Curious. Something had arrested her attention, and likely not in a good way. He would swing by and take a look-see next time he found the chance.

Now that he had begun the subconscious record of observation, his near-neon green gaze was drawn to the faint, uneven sound of rrrRrRRrrRR on the desk. The flat, round creek stone that had been used as a paperweight had been spinning since before Kat had walked into the study. Weakening pulses of Ichor emanated from the stone, fading slowly and translating in the stone's faltering speed. He walked into the study to stop it, catching it firmly in is hand for a second before gently setting it down on the desk. His hand hovered over the stone another moment, as if assuring it wouldn't move before he withdrew his hand completely. Odd. He wondered who would've gotten the disc to spin with Ichor. If only he could read Ichor the way he could read the ground... but that was not his specialty.

"S'long's ya put 'em back, I'm sure ya good," he quipped back to her mention of taking the books outside. He straightened before glancing at the human, a curl lifting the corner of his mouth as an answer to that playful, conspiratorial tone. Eager girl. "Missions keep this place kickin', if y'get what I mean." The Fae shrugged. A lot of the reasoning behind holding the recruitment drive was logistical. There used to be ten in their number. With Indomiel gone too aside the others, they now had five members that had to keep up with all the work. While they were always paid well because of their skill and the reputation of their establishment, there simply wasn't enough manpower.

"We tried ta block off a couple days to get 'quainted with y'all fresh meat," he explained. "Bu' otherwise we gotta busy-scramble. The war 'n' jus' all th' crazy shiet happenin' e'erywhere these days, request box had got more'n 'nough o' people needin' things. 'Specially now when was less o' us. Hopin' now ya guys c'n help us take a bit o' th' load on once yer done onboardin'. We got a rep to keep."

When Damian had walked into the room, he would've spotted Lala with her hood down and her back to him. Being albino, her hair was like long, smooth cornsilk and what was visible of her white skin and ears was so pale and bright that they almost seemed to glow. An ear had idly tilted back when he had stepped into the doorway, but she said nothing until he spoke. "Hello. Damian, is it?" she mused to confirm as she turned around to face him. As she moved out of the way, he would see what she had placed upon the small desk in his room: a potted flower. It was a singular bloom on a delicate stalk, leaves outstretched like arms. The blossom itself was a deep royal violet, with petals giving it a bell shape like a flared tulip.

She twisted the dropper of water in her hands back into the vial before she also placed that on the desk by the pot. "I thought that it would be nice to have something in your room," she mused, her voice much softer than the curtness of her introduction upstairs. Her airy tone gave her a gentler aura now, despite the fact that her expression remained neutral. Her hues--almost translucent but with the barest wash of blue--flitted back to the plant.

"Erdbell," she explained quietly. "A drop of water in the opening a day will make the nectar give off a pleasant, faint scent. And if you place a crystal of Ichor on the ground by the stem, it makes a nice nightlight." To demonstrate, she reached for a small crystal from her pocket, about the size of a small marble, and lightly set it down, touching the stem and dirt. A diffused violet glow spread through the petals, bringing them further to life, and they faded when Lala rolled the stone away from the contact.

Stormy grey eyes would drop to the table which Kaito moved to, his hand reaching out to halt something which Katlina hadn't taken much notice of before. Now that she had however, her gaze would turn curious and she wander over to touch the stone with a gentle finger. She smiled and shook her head with a glance over to her companion. Just a rock, but - "the way it spun reminds me of a toy we used to play with as kids, called a Top. Those who were magically inclined," - meaning those who figured out their abilities before she had- "would set the top to spinning with magic." She laughed softly and shook her head. "I had to keep it spinning with my own fingers but, " She shrugged and held up her fists, "I think that's more fun anyhow." True to her whole life it would seem. A passionate desire to learn magic from a young age, yet unable to grasp it. Until she had. Then it was ruined for her in the same moment. Better to use ones own body and intuition, smarts and honed skills whenever could be. It was how she'd lived for so long it would be a difficult habit to break.

Stretching then, her hands behind her head as she arched her back a moment before letting them drop to her sides. She was again impressed with how comfortable she felt around sparrow, Kaito... Sparrow. He was still sparrow to her, the name she'd found him with. Still, she'd work on using his truename, even in her own thoughts.

Turning back to the conversation at hand she'd grin again, her lips finding the smile far more often than usual since arriving here. "Sounds like there will be plenty to keep me busy then. Perfect. I get.. Antsy when I'm in one place too long." She sighed, running a hand over a few more books selecting one or two to tuck under and arm. She'd read them later when she had time.

For now, what time was it? She habitually glanced skyward, before arresting the motion. Der. She was inside. "Is it time to eat? Or.." She suddenly felt the conversation turn awkward, and grumbled at herself inwardly. She was a poor conversationalist really. "I can help with any meal, if need be. My stuff really doesn't take much to settle in. And I prefer not spending too much time in any... Small.. Rooms." Her words tapered off as she offered a lopsided half smile and a flick of her gaze upward as if longing for the sky already.

"Oh!" She remembered a question she'd thought to ask before, and might as well as Kaito. "Have all of you been a group for roughly the same amount of time or.. Are some the other's newer? I'm just curious how long you've all been around each other. You mentioned before they were your family." She shrugged.
It took Damian a moment to re-establish the connection between his brain and his mouth after Lala had finished speaking.
"Uh-yes, Yes, I am, that's me," he said, continuing the trend of awkwardness that seemed to be currently robbing him of the power of normal conversation. Come on, Damian, he thought. Unfreeze your damned brain. A small smile - equal parts genuine and sheepish - appeared on his face as he scratched the back of his head, with a soft chuckle escaping his lips as well.

The mage briefly glanced at the flower before looking back at the herbologist.
"Thank you," he said, addressing the presence of the flower on the desk. He took a couple of steps towards her, fully entering the room instead of just staying in the doorway. He once again looked at the flower.
"Erdbell..." he mused. "If I remember correctly, parts of it can be mixed and used as a poultice, yes? And if I'm not mistaken, it can also be used to make a weak dye...." The newcomer took another step, but this time towards the flower, rather than Lala, before he looked back at her once again. "I didn't think the color could get so vivid..."

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Treasure Lamp 2.0 (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus