Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Treasure Lamp 2.0 (closed)

Seychelle Jenner (played anonymously)

"Some other time, then, but I won't forget to take you up on that." Kat smiled, offering Damian a tilt of her head as she acknowledged his fatigue. "Impressive display." Kat made a mental note to observe the mage more closely in future, perhaps glean some of how he controlled his powers. Though each power manifest differently, elements of control were always the same. Still, Kat hesitated to ever practice on, or even with another person. She'd made a big mistake once. Never again.

Turning to nod at Ayura's comment, Kat glanced at the stash of ichor filled gems. "Makes sense." She commented, just as the electric blue haired dusk fae entered the room. Recognizing his distinctive accent, Katlina turned to glance toward Kaito with a raised eyebrow and a half grin. "Damian has already tired himself out, so I've yet to find a sparring partner." She gave him a pointed look, remembering how he'd given her the run around when she'd asked him to spar during their journey. "Change your mind about that yet? I mean, you're here now so why not? Surely you can keep from creaming me too quickly."
The Treasure Lamp (played by 8TigerBunnyTora) Topic Starter

Kajanh looked up at this piece of information. "Twisted ways?" he repeated, his emberlike eyes a little muted with the question. However, Lance had gone on to speak, and so the Toymaker remained silent, filing away the question for the time being. His mind wandered back to his own projects...the ones that had placed him in the path of the Treasure Lamp in the first place.

However, the glow seemed to return to those hues with the last few sentiments. "Yeah, you're totally right, the possibilities are endless, and apparently there are still more uses being toyed around with. Not that anyone would fiddle too much with the fractal quandary or amorphic lattice of it, otherwise the effects tend to make it deteriorate in weird ways..." The last sentence was an absent murmur, accompanied with a dismissive shrug.

All the while, his hands were adjusting a tiny motor with small tooled appendages that were about the length and width of a toothpick. "It doesn't just mimic life, it is life itself," he corrected jovially. "It's a pretty interesting thing; and a bit scary when you think that expending too much magic can actually kill ya. Hence the thousand-wisp rule." Many knew of the thousand-wisp rule. It was an indisputable fact, a function in which a fleshly body could only absorb or release a particular amount of Ichor at once, more or less, before collapsing for a period of time. Hence the carriage of Ichor in gemstones or other conduits such as metal so that additional amounts could be carried. "And the Ichor serves as a power source to move the dragon's gears and give the automaton movement, yep. I'm a bit fond of this guy for that very reason. Put a lot of work into 'im." The tinkerer began to piece back the leg he had dismantled.

~~~~

Kaito threw his head back with a scoff. "Are ya really doin' 'is, Kat? Here, 'n' now?" he teased playfully, not bothering to dust off the loose dirt of the warehouse off of his bare, dusky-mauve feet and slightly elongated toes. He tilted his head playfully, remembering the times when he and Kat had fought together, in those skirmishes with the Black Lens and also with Stallion. "Shiet, hones'ly...if we doin' straight handtahand, it'd be a mite too temptin' fer me to cheat. 'Specially down 'ere." He flicked his near-neon green eyes around, implicating the warehouse. They were surrounded, enveloped in earth. Not to mention the metal bangles that he already wore consistently around his wrists and ankles. The Fae glanced meaningfully at Ayura, who put up her hands.

"Gods, don't look at me, you know I don't know the meaning of 'no magic'," the elf fussed, shaking her head, retaining the lopsided smirk upon her face. After a moment or two of continuing to stand her ground, she at last relented under the unspoken inquiry. "Alright, alright. No Ichoric contact, no enhancement, but I won't guarantee that magic won't be used for personal orienting purposes. That's all I can promise."

She sighed as she rolled her wrists lightly, uncinching her sword from her waist and slipping the staff out of the hole in her cloak before setting them down on a table nearby. Kaito kept along the edges of the warehouse walls to amble until he was alongside Damian, allowing another small smirk just as Ayura lightly elbowed his arm in passage.

The elf stood just a half-head taller than the rogue, and, with the subtle jaunce of a child, stood within the center ring with her hands behind her back, smiling. "Anytime," she hummed.

The Fae noted Damian's faint breaths and concluded that the human had exerted himself just recently. "Musta been you who made all 'at racket," he teased the mage lightly, although he kept his gaze upon the girls. "Holdin' up arite?"
Damian fought hard not to smirk at Kaito's and Ayura's exchange, and largely succeeded; however, the right-hand corner of his mouth did twitch upwards a few times as the DuskFae and the Elf ribbed each other. He cast a quick glance at Kaito as the latter came to a stop next to him, his eyes still on Kat and Ayura, who were just about to start their fight.

At Kaito's words, Damian fully turned his head to look at the Fae and nodded once. "Yes, that was me," he said. "Decided to test my limits when it came to a certain fire spell. Wasn't the wisest thing I've ever done." Damian looked down at the collection of gems in his hand. "I suppose I'm holding up just fine; that's after draining a dozen crystals' worth of Ichor, however," the mage said. He massaged his right shoulder a bit; it was still a little sore from his arm being in the air for 3 and a half minutes. Damian also noticed that he was still breathing a somewhat heavily from his exertion. "And I'm still not completely recovered."

A bemused smile lingered on Kat's face as she paused, watching Sparrow a moment longer before giving an exaggerated sigh and flashing a grin. "You're just scared." She quipped, but didn't push the Dusk Fae, happy to have Ayura jump in the ring with her. No doubt she'd lose badly, but it would be good to stretch her muscles and test her reflexes again.

Slipping in after the elven woman, Kat too removed her two holstered knives and moved to face Ayura with a grin, taking a moment to stretch her arms and jumping a few times to get her blood pumping. With one hand, she flicked her braid from over her shoulder and out of the way, with the other she beckoned the elf, a mischievous grin slipping onto her face, like "bring it."

She kept her footing light, her knees bent only slightly, and she watched the elf carefully, knowing they could move with amazing agility and quickness. She'd have a disability there no doubt, though she had honed her own reflexes well. Ayura had mentioned using ichor for orienting purposes, and indeed, Kat was always well aware of a light and almost warm hum in the corner of her mind where she kept her power tucked. It had taken a lot of practice to keep it from leaking, but for her, such a thing meant others were too easily hurt. Power, for Kat, was a last resort. This meant that she wasn't as practiced as she should be, too, and she knew it. Yet the memories that swamped her each time she used the power were hard to ignore.

Now, she made no acknowledgement of the beginning of the match, instead fainting to the left with no warning and jabbing a flat hand out to try and strike at Ayura's exposed right while whipping her other hand out to attempt a grapple of Ayura's arm, which, if successful, she would then twist back and around to try for leverage on the elf.

The elf tilted her head with a note of amusement as Kat got herself ready, while she herself merely shifted from foot to foot rather idly. She was definitely looking forward to see what level of combat these recruits had. Everyone would differ, and the differences would not only identify weaknesses, but also indicate strengths that would fit them into whatever role they could play for the group. There were really no set roles, just a taking inventory of everyone’s skills and utilizing them as was so needed.

Instead of falling for the feint, the first thing that Ayura did was skirt backwards, her violet hues watching the human closely. She had seen the feint’s initial movement and opted to move in an unexpected direction in anticipation. Not to mention that it was best for Kat to come to her; the distance allowed her to observe instead of simply striking. If there was any follow up strike, the elf would deflect it from below with an upward movement of her left forearm.

Still watching the girls, Kaito released a low whistle at Damian’s words. “That’s a good time,” he remarked with a lift of his chin and a faint tile of his head, somewhat impressed. “Jus’ don’ kill yerself tryin’, arite? Gettin’ better’s one thing, but driving yerself into the ground’s not gonna help anyone.” He allowed his neon eyes to be drawn to the quick movements of the girls as they skirted one another, seemingly getting a feel for the other’s style before getting into grittier and more determined tactics. “You might even manage to be a good sparrin’ partner fer Ayu. She needs sum’un at ‘er own level o’ magic ta work with. I might beat ‘er in earth’n technique but...” he trailed off into a shrug.

Despite having moved in quickly to attempt first strike, Kat had expected her opponent to dodge at least one of her blows. As such, she was able to gracefully pull out of the movement with a spin that once more closed the distance between herself and Ayura. This time she moved counter clockwise, head tilted a bit as she studied the other's bearing and posture.

She liked to get the feel of her opponents and how they'd react by an initial attack, and it seemed to her that this one would try and make all the fighting come to her. It was unclear yet whether the elven female would choose to take any offensive tactics. That was okay though, Kat would have to push herself to come up with maneuvers that tested her own limits as well as Ayura's.

With a sudden shift of her feet, Kat swung one foot in an quick arch toward the back of Ayura's knees, expecting to either connect, or force the elf to jump away, moving with the momentum, she switched feet to bring the other foot around in a hard backkick toward where she hoped the elf would move to, should her first strike have missed. All the while her arms were loose and ready should she need them.

Always the rogue kept moving, sliding with fluid ease and grace through each motion and keeping a careful watch of her opponent's posture as she did so, in order to catch the subtle hints a body would give away just before it moved.
Damian nodded slowly, a smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. "I'll try not to do that," he said. "Wouldn't want Ayura to have to go through the trouble of finding another recruit so soon after bringing the three of us in." He secretly agreed with Kaito. What he had done was demonstrably foolish. It had been too much at once, something that his former Mentor would probably have chastised him for, however gently.

The Mage then considered the Fae's words concerning Ayura and being her sparring partner. "And is that so?" he continued. "I've seen Ayura's magic at work. She's highly skilled." Damian shifted his stance against the wall a slight bit. And there's a large patch of burnt grass in the middle of the Neutral Lands to show for it, he thought, remembering the primal shriek she had emitted before she conjured the massive pillar of fire that had finally destroyed the tome. "If she were open to it, I would be as well," he said, casting a quick sideways glance at Kaito.
Lance nodded. "Well its mighty impressive in its own respect." He commented on the mechanical dragon. "Sure golems are neat, but this is marvelous really." He added. Lance didn't know too much about what Kaj had murmured, but shrugged it off in his mind, assuming it as more technical terms that he didn't entirely need to know.

Lance watched Kaj work on the leg until a question sprang into his mind. "Say, how long have you been a part of this group?" He asked, assuming it was a harmless question, but he was curious if the group had been together for years upon years or if their time was shorter than Lance initially assumed the entire Treasure Lamp had been together, or at least the ones before he, Damian and Katlina had shown up.

The Toymaker released a satisfied huff just as he clicked together a few more pieces of the elaborate puzzle that was the assembly of the mechanical dragon’s leg, before he paused to flex his fingers and also acknowledge the query that was presented to him. “Well, I’m the newbie out of us usuals here, and I’ve been here about…four years or so, I’m pretty sure?” he adjusted his goggles nestled upon his head. “Maybe going on five.”

“You don’t really think about how long you’ve been home, if you get my drift.” His hands resumed their task, now picking up the completed leg and painstakingly attaching it to the currently-inanimate dragon.

“…you know,” he began after a moment, “Windell, er…oh, I’m sure you know his name already, Dom…” he trailed off for a moment, and it would be uncertain whether the cause was the subject at hand or the mere distraction of his focus on the machine. “…well. We’ve been dead sick worried. He just up and went. And then five months later, you show up.” He glanced up at Lance.

~~~~~

Kat would see Ayura’s body tense and move, coiled to jump and leap back—but instead of moving with the momentum like she had predicted, the elf had scrunched herself up like a spring and launched against the momentum of the kick to her leg, leaping over it in a lithe backflip. As the whoosh of the back kick rushed towards her she tucked her head and upper back downward, allowing the rogue’s foot to rush overhead.

The elf allowed herself to do more than just react; she didn’t put too much effort at all into crafting an offense, rather, keeping her own defense in unexpected ways to see how quickly or slowly Kat would be able to adapt to a situation. Instead of landing cleanly on her feet, she planted her hands upon the ground and swung both her legs around parallel to the ground, continuing the momentum of the flip into a skirting grind in the next moment as she tried to sweep Kat off her feet.

Regardless if she failed or succeeded, she would use that momentum to ultimately fling herself backwards and push off the ground with her hand in front of her, to launch upward and backward just enough to get her feet beneath her so she could be upright once more with a small hop back.

“Ah, ‘m sure you two’ll get along jus’ fine,” Kaito lazily waved him off. Damian had been Ayura’s recruit, after all. He was aware that accepting people into her fold was incredibly difficult for her in particular after what had happened to them, and if anything, they’d all been surprised to know that she’d actually brought a recruit to the appointed day. If the rest of them were any indicator, the elf had an eye for diamonds in the rough. And Damian would probably be no different.

“I mean, jus’ try not ta off yerself,” he teased, lightly shoving the mage’s shoulder, neon green eyes glittering with amusement. “We won’ let ya get off easy, bu’ still.” He glanced at the girls, and at the acrobatic display that the elf currently executed. “Well, either way, I think you got a ways ta go. Magic c’n take ya pretty far, no doubt ‘bout that, but, good luck, m’ man, regardless. Magic ‘r phys. She’s a drill sergeant.”

Delight sparked in Kat's hues, lightning against a cloudy sky, even as a puff of air escaped her lips as she caught the shift in Aura's muscles just before the elf jumped to avoid her kick. Agility was key here, then, but she had anticipated that. The moment between the kick, and righting herself left the rogue momentarily vulnerable to a counter attack, as her eyes had briefly flashed to her surroundings. When her stormy grey eyes centered back on the female before her, the return sweeping of the agile elf's legs were already aimed low to Kat's own. Dipping in a handless cartwheel, Katlina flung herself over the offensive attack, eyes trained on Ayura's body below her. While the elf's hands were set on the floor to complete her sweep, the rogue lashed a strike out to her ribs, hand flat to hopefully deal a sting or bruise rather than any real damage, even as her feet connected back with the ground, having leapt over the maneuver.

Her strike, should it have connected, would have done little, if anything, to stop the elf from springing back up, completing the move, and Kat took that moment to close the distance immediately, offering no respite in the form of distance or time for thought. Instinct and subsequent action were a pair that Kat had finely honed throughout the years. Though her instinct was not always correct, it had kept her safe in many a tight situation. Here, she felt that her only chance in winning lay in keeping the elf moving, defending, and landing what blows she could. The worry was, however, that the elf's stamina was likely much greater than her own. Well, she had wanted to push herself, hadn't she?

A wry smile tilted the rogue's determined lips, oblivious as she was now to those still watching the match, her focus solely upon Ayura, she aimed a kick at the elf's side, but rather than follow through with it, she lunged straight toward the female, hoping to catch her off guard and bring her back to the ground with a potential for a grappling hold, where the elf's own speed and agility would work to less advantage.
"I get what you mean, you don't think about it much..." Lance replied, knowing the feeling of being someplace he considered home and just letting the years go by. He partially missed those days, but knew that he couldn't go back to them at this point. He had a new life ahead, one he hoped would last.

"I didn't know he'd been gone for that long. It makes sense why you'd worry for him." Lance added, shifting slightly on his feet. "I still can't help but think back to the short time I was with him. He seemed like a good person to me and fairly polite at that." He wasn't entirely confident talking about Indomiel because he had only known him for so long compared to the others there.
The corner of Damian's mouth twitched at the Fae's words concerning Ayura. Judging by how skilled that the Elf was with her magic and by how effortless her movements seemed as she fought with Katalina in front of both him and Kaito, this was most likely true. The mage let out a soft chuckle, his eyes momentarily darting to the DuskFae before he spoke once more. "I'll definitely keep that in mind, then," he said. "Hopefully it will be something I'll be able to handle."

Damian then gave a little half-shrug. "And as I said before, I'll try not to off myself from showing off or unnecessarily pushing limits," he said, the ghost of a sideways grin on his face. "I'll do my best to spare you all the effort of replacing someone else so soon after bringing in new blood." As soon as he said it, he regretted doing so. The blond had to fight the urge to clap his hands over his mouth as the words indicating that he knew what had happened to them in the Mountains of Oberon crossed his lips. Godsdamnit, he thought. I should have thought that statement through. He stood there next to Kaito, leaning against the wall and hoping that that part of his comment had gone unnoticed. If there was anything that would aid him in that effort, it would be that his expression had remained passively contented.

The elf had almost tripped with and over her own hands in her haste of pushing herself away and back fast enough to evade the sudden strike towards her ribs. However, she managed to pull off the maneuver and hopped back.

Only for Kat to pursue her in that strange and unorthodox way. Aiming a kick before lunging forward towards the target? Not exactly a move that would prove to be very dextrous, as the kick itself would either be an evidently false move, falling short of the target rather suspiciously, or would in itself be a hindrance to the momentum of a forward lunge as Kat would have to lower her leg to balance properly. The fraction-of-a-second delay was what allowed Ayura to duck down and charge almost directly to meet Kat in return—only for her to slip past the human at the last moment, spin, and land a bit of a backhand upon Kat’s back as she passed, as if she’d slapped the small of the human’s back. The hit certainly would not do any damage but the very slight pain was enough of an alert.

She took a small leap backward away from Kat—only for golden tendrils of Ichor to lightly encircle her feet as she seemed to drift back several feet before landing, clapping her hands in childish excitement. “Not bad,” she laughed breathlessly. “Not bad at all. We just need you getting used to playing around with your Ichor and you’ll be near-par in no time,” she hummed.

“Maybe you two’ll learn something from one another,” the elf catcalled, glancing at Damian warmly to include him the sentiment.

Sparrow idly shifted his weight from foot to foot as he watched the girls spar. Ugh. Now he might be starting to get antsy too, wanting to get in on the action. It was kind of a shame that Xy was the only one who he could spar with properly now, since…well, yeah. The others could spar, of course, but Kaito’s style was so unique that it tended to outshine the standard hand-to-hand. But that was something only unique to him.

‘I’ll try.’ Despite the sincerity that Damian seemed to speak with to the Fae, such a choice of words couldn’t help but make the Fae roll his iridescent, light-green eyes. “Yeah, yeah, yeah, try not t’ die,” he deadpanned with all intention of humor, for a moment playfully talking over Damian as the latter had already started his next sentiment.

And then…

A shadow passed over his eyes as the humor died off his expression, and he glanced over at Damian almost sharply. Something…bothered him about those words, and as his thoughts turned it over, that scrutinizing gaze fell over the mage.

No way. Those phrases. ‘Replacing someone else’, ‘bringing in new blood’—okay, okay, maybe that latter phrase could possibly be overlooked as a sheer coincidence but—what? How would Damian have possibly known that this recruiting drive had been to replace someone? It had never once been mentioned, and he knew that Ayura would never talk about what happened. Not to these newbies. It was an agony she so attempted to lock deep within her, and it pained them all.

There was always a chance that Damian might’ve just correctly deduced it. After all, one might’ve made the correct assumption with the number of bedrooms, or maybe even Indomiel’s still-vacant bedroom. However, Kaito searched Damian’s face and posture for answers…and he didn’t like what he saw.

Even if Damian outwardly remained serene, yes—there it was. Telltale signs that he knew to look for. That barest, almost shifty glance, the small shift in the jaw and neck muscles that denoted a sudden and small adjustment, the very small turn of the head that, with the glance, had briefly moved to look at Kai before quickly flicking back to watch the girls. That smallest twitch of his finger that he himself may not have noticed.

The mage was hiding something. If it had just been a deductive assumption then the sentiment would’ve been spoken with a more direct countenance with questing eye contact.

Sparrow opened his mouth to say something when they were interrupted by Ayura’s voice, aimed towards Damian. Teasing, calling. She hadn’t heard, thank the gods. He could only imagine how she would react if she would come to the same conclusion that she did.

A thought struck the elf, and her amethyst eyes lit up as she tossed her long ponytail back over her shoulder. “By the way! Did you ever get to say hi to Zeph? We also got another asset in the stables that I think you need to be introduced to, Damian.”

“Indomiel’s a good guy,” Kaj nodded absently, allowing his ember-like eyes to wander across the shelves of his mechanical messes and projects, all in varying stages of completion. “I mean, guy’s been through a lot, but what do you expect when the guy’s over a century old?” The Toymaker chuckled, idly scratching at small tuft on his goatee.

“But, you know, bud, I think we’re pretty unanimous about this,” he placed a heavy hand on the gunmage’s shoulder with a smile, shaking it once, firmly. “He’s always been looking out for us. Heck he even remembered the right date and place and stuff to tell you for the recruitment even when he went ka-poof. If he recommended that you join us—” he made a dismissive gesture with his free hand, “—which, he obviously does, since you’re here—you know, we trust his judgment. I’m sure you’re a good guy.”

He released Lance’s shoulder and made an encompassing gesture. “So, what’d you think of all this? Good first impressions?” It was hard to tell whether he was talking about the workshop or the entire complex. Maybe both, who knew? Kaj was definitely comfortable and excited, and his questions began to vary, one after the other, each not necessarily related to the last.

“Did you find your room yet? You think I’d be able to copy those gun parts, for maintenance and spares? Have you had a look around the rest of the place?”

A drop of sweat rolled down Katlina's brow even as she had attempted her ill-fated maneuver. Her breathing even, but quick as her blood pumped at the action. Her plan of attack proved to be thought through too little, the kick -despite being a feigned one- causing her to land a touch too hard. Before Kat could so muc as blink her opponent had leapt on the weakness, and delivered a stinging blow to her back.

The strike caused Kat's hues to flash with momentary frustration, aimed at herself as she turned to face the fae in a smooth motion. Taking a few moments to breath, she finally allowed a rueful grin to tilt her lips upward and she gave a nod of respect to Ayura, dipping a fraction at the waist. The idea of 'playing around' with her ichor was one that sent nerves scuttling through her but she gave no thought to it for the time being. She was here to grow, to learn, to start a new chapter.

"Thanks for the bout. Now I know why I try not to get on the wrong side of the fae." She said, the last part added with an exaggerated sigh. She had to make do with her own human frame, but at least she could hone it as much as possible. Finally, feeling much more relaxed after taxing her muscles and draining her nerves, she turned to glance toward Kaito and Damian who seemed to be conversing. She'd all but forgotten about them, but now as she wiped an arm over her brow she smiled softly. Even as she did so however she wondered if she'd momentarily caught a glimpse of an odd expression on the dusk fae's face. What had they been speaking of?

Shrugging it off, she moved from the sparring ring to find a towel and perhaps some liquid, perhaps near a wall somewhere, where such things were no doubt to be found. She needed a moment to cool off, for losing a bout, no matter how often it happened, was something to consider and think on, to learn from. As she did so, she kept an ear to the conversation as Ayura called out to Damian.
Damian saw Kaito's countenance change almost immediately after he had accidentally let his ill-advised statement slip, his hopes that his comment would have gone unnoticed instantly dashed. The mage had compounded this mistake by casting the briefest of glances over at the DuskFae. Damian could see Kaito scrutinizing him out of the corner of his eye, the gears in the Fae's mind no doubt turning furiously and wondering.....wondering what? The subtly veiled hostility made the Elf wonder....could he possibly think....? Well, even if Kaito wasn't thinking what Damian was wondering if he was thinking, the mage could clearly see that this was why his new compatriot was called Sparrow. It seemed that almost nothing escaped his notice. Just wonderful.

Damian could see that Kaito was about to say something to him, and he braced himself accordingly. It was then that Ayura cut in, teasing him about him perhaps learning something from Katlina about hand to hand combat, as well as asking him if he had said hi to Zephyr.
Hallelujah, Damian thought. Ayura to the rescue. His expression of placid contentment widened into a sideways grin at her words.
"I just might," he called back, glad for the change of subject. He figured, however, that Kaito was most likely not done with him. He would have to watch out. "And yeah, I have visited Zephyr," he continued, his half-smile further widening into a full one. "It was the first thing I did when I arrived out back this morning, actually. I think we were happy to see each other."

The mage pushed the nervous thoughts about Kaito to the back of his mind for the time being, hoping he wouldn't have to revisit them but knowing full well he most likely would have to.
"And what's this other asset?" he asked, his full grin reverting to a sideways one. "Whoever it is, I'll surely take you up on the offer of being introduced." Even as he talked with Ayura, he was determined not to look in Kaito's direction. Any more incrimination would not help in any way.
"A century you say? That's news to me, but thanks. It's a bit relieving to have a place to call home again." Lance replied with a nod and a smile, clearly glad to be there and glad to have someone to talk to. His composure was rather calm, it seemed he was being true with his words, at least as far as feeling like this place felt like a home to him.

"If I'm being honest," Lance continued, "Its more than I could have wanted." Lance glanced around the room for a second before returning his gaze to Kaj and his series of questions. The questions were a bit sporadic sure, but he was fine with answering them.

"I haven't gotten a look at too many of the other rooms beyond my own. And as for copying gun parts I'd appreciate it greatly. I haven't a clue when these parts may give out, but being able to get repairs on them is something I can't say no to." Lance spoke, replying to each question presented to him.

Ayura giggled. “Well come on, then, let’s not dillydally,” she beckoned to Damian before she flounced towards the practice area’s back door with a cheerful bounce in her step, trusting that Damian would follow. “I do hope you haven’t gone inside the stables on your own yet, but from the sounds of things you haven’t, so that’s good,” she hummed as she led him out the door. “It’d be less pleasant if I wasn’t around for him to meet you.” She waved to Kaito and Katlina. “I’m gonna have him meet Frost! I’ll be back to have everyone measured for cloaks.”

Kaito watched the two quietly and methodically before the door closed; the fae then offered the rogue a small and wistful smile. “Pfft. She spoils that dragon. You mighta think she imprinted on ’t ‘most th’ same way it did on ‘er,” he scoffed playfully. His usually piercing, neon green eyes were a little bit softer.

“Anyways, I’m—I’m glad ya came…” he trailed off, his gaze fleeing with his voice off to the side. He had…opened up so much to the rogue over the past few days that they had been together in Arkaria, and now, nearly all the secrets of his life had been uncovered. He just…the Treasure Lamp was so important to him, as he might imagine it was important to the others. He just hoped that…well…maybe it was a lot to ask for, but he’d brought Kat here to be part of the family. He just hoped that she would be able to love this place and these people the way that he did.

He made a small gesture, lifting his hands up, gesturing around the room, and indicating the complex in general. “So, uh… What’dya think o’ all this? I mean, it ain’t a palace, but…iunno. It’s …well, it’s home.”

After another moment, he spied a capped waterskin lying upon on of the shelves. He flicked a hand out and hooked the strap of it with a small sliver of dull metal, before flicking his wrist—and by extension, the tiny metal and the skin, towards Kat. “Here. Catch.”
It was an incredible joy of her heart to be able to re-experience bringing someone new into the Lamp, as it allowed her to so proudly display the life that she had worked so hard to build with everyone here—this wonderful home and place that was otherwise kept secret. The Treasure Lamp was the greatest triumph in her short life, and as much as the rift the others left behind hurt, Ayura could only feel joy at the prospect of bringing someone new her circle, someone whom she trusted—and someone who seemed to trust her in turn at least enough to throw away their previous life to come join hers.

Damian would’ve noticed such a contrast on this day compared to the broken, raging young girl that he had met in Cae’bril. What had once been harsh, poignant and furious had mellowed—from cutting, burning blades to a bright and warm sunlight. That same vivacious energy was no longer being focused on pain, on fury, at least in this moment.

“Come on, come on, come, come~” the elf mused in an absent hum, in a near-singsong.

The back door of the practice room led to the edge of that tiny hallway, where the small door and its knob supported a small sign that read ‘Stables’. The impish elf unlatched the knob to reveal a small room hardly bigger than a broom closet, with a wooden ladder built into the wall. She hoisted herself up first, releasing a click of her tongue and a chirruping trill as she opened the trapdoor above her head. “Come up, but be slow at the top. When you get to your feet, keep your eyes down first for ten seconds or so before you look up.” She left the trapdoor open, walking toward the sound of a huff and a guttural gurgle.
The Toymaker grinned from ear to ear when Lance agreed to conscript him for gun parts. “Alrighty, well, just leave the one here for now and I’ll get to it tonight or so; I imagine you’re gonna need at least the other o’ these bad boys on you at all times so you feel good and safe about it. Wouldn’ be right to rob you o’ both your weapons. Best be one at a time. Right?” However, it was a rhetorical question that didn’t really need to be answered, and he was already shooing Lance, playfully shoving him towards the workshop’s door.

“You gotta go have a look around, bud! I mean, this place ain’t that big but you’re gonna get confused if you don’t pay attention. Those signs aren’t gonna be up forever, you know. Give or take a week or two and they’ll be gone.” Kaj couldn’t help but allow his own mind to wander back to when he had been new. It wasn’t easy, but pulling his own weight and being useful had cemented his place here, and he wouldn’t have had it any other way. He had a few regrets in his life, it was true, but doing what he had done to put himself on the Treasure Lamp’s radar—and subsequently joining them, was not one of them. “Go on! I’m sure the others’re around and’ll help you out. I’m just gonna tally some stuff I need before we all go out in the market.”

"Here, catch."

Kat's left hand flew up instinctively as her peripheral vision caught the movement off to her left by the shelves, in time to clutch the water skin as it zipped toward her face, bouyed by the power that seemed so unique to Kaito. She smiled in gratitude as she took a drink, walking towards the dusk fae as she tilted her head back. Closing the cap, she released a breath and let her hand fall back to her side, holding the flask loosely, the other hand going to run through the loose mahogany braid that had more than a few stray strands now the bout was over.

She seemed much more relaxed, now she'd been able to get out some of the stress of being below ground, and meeting a group of new people. People who she realized she wanted to think well of her. Having met them all now, though she'd only spoken much to Ayura, she could see why Kaito could feel they were family. She wanted that too.

As she'd listened to her friends words she'd been unable to keep a half smile from lifting a corner of her lips. She was glad she'd come, too. It had been a hard decision to leave off her own ideas of finding her sisters, if it had even been possible. But Kaito had been right. Better to not dwell on the past, but learn from it. She would allow the experience, horrible though it had been, to shape her. Now she could gain new experiences. And as she watched the neon eyed dusk fae before her, she was glad the next adventures would likely involve him as well. If she could claim to know what family felt like at all, he was beginning to be the closest she could call such.

She flicked her gaze up to the ceiling and then back to Kaito as she shrugged, seeming more open and happy than she'd been for a while. "It's more a home than I've had in... years." She finally breathed in answer, her fingers playing idly with the flask at her side. She didn't take her eyes off of Kaito though, a contented set to her lips.

"I want to thank you, for inviting me into all of this Kaito." She added, soncerity brightening her tones. Finally looking away, she smiled around at the training room. "I can definitely get used to being underground, if it means learning what family truly is - well, since there's emergency exit doors anyway." She joked, feeling almost as easy again with him as she'd been when they'd been on the open road.

"Being with a group again'll take some getting used to, but it'll be worth it. I think I'll have plenty to learn from Ayura." She laughed, nodding to the ring, "with that and magic as well."
Lance handed one of his pistols off before he began being shooed away by Kaj. "Okay okay. I'll have a look around." He said as he went towards the workshop door. "But hey. It's nice knowing someone can help with repairs on my pistols." He said before leaving the workshop. Lance looked around the hall now, glancing at the different signs on the doors. He wandered around a bit more, just making a mental note of the overall layout of the building. He walked around the complex for a little while until he found himself at the door labelled 'Foundry.' There was some hesitation before Lance gave the door a knock, opening the door slowly as he looked into the new room. "Hello?" He called out, a bit wondering if he should have waited longer or gone to another room, but he was here now, no going back on opening the door.
Damian followed Ayura out of the Warehouse, privately wondering who, or rather, what this "Frost" was. Who- or whatever they happened to be though, it was apparently a good thing that he hadn't encountered them yet, at least according to the Elf in front of him.

He watched her as they walked down the small hallway towards the door marked "stables". He noticed that she was exhibiting a much more content and joyous demeanor than she had on the night the two of them had met. It was a radical change, yes, but a most welcome one for the mage. Perhaps bringing the three of us in is allowing her to heal, he thought. Or at least, it's giving her an opportunity to focus on rebuilding rather than mourning. If he knew anything about the complicated business of emotions, the grief was still there. Grief with that depth from a loss that big didn't simply just go away.

Even so, Ayura's newfound attitude was infectious, and Damian found himself starting to crack a smile as he followed her into the very small room with the ladder. The blonde elf watched the raven-haired one climb the ladder. He heard animalistic noises after she made the trilling sound, and wondered what the origin of those noises could possibly be. Definitely wasn't a horse, but beyond that he wasn't sure. When Ayura called down to him saying he could come up, he did so. As she directed, he slowed his ascent when he neared the top. Once he came out of the trapdoor, he got to his feet and kept his eyes down, slowly turning in the direction of the noises. After ten seconds, he looked up at their source.

Damian laid eyes upon a beautiful dragon a good deal larger than he was, pacing the large space of the stable as it snorted in a very annoyed, equine like manner, cold mist puffing lightly from its nose with every exhaled breath. Metal horns protruded from the back of its head and down the spine, interrupted by a space large enough perhaps for a saddle. The dragon’s cold complexion was faintly dusted with what appeared to be a thin frost, but was actually more of a light down, visible against the blue scales.

The mage's eyes slightly widened with surprise, before he did his best to return to neutral. Damian's eyes flicked to Ayura, who was standing next to the beast, looking somewhat dwarfed by its appearance, before they snapped back to Frost.
"A Dragon hatchling?" he asked his compatriot, a little bit of the excited shock he was secretly feeling seeping into his voice. He stood still, his shoulders relaxed, and his face calm, trying to appear as non-threatening as possible. "How were you able to get your hands on an egg? And how long ago did he hatch?" the mage continued. A note of deep curiosity now colored the excited shock hiding in his voice. Damian now had so many questions that he wanted to ask Ayura, but he held his tongue for now.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Treasure Lamp 2.0 (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus