Skip to main content

Forums » Help » kind of serious question

Isidro (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Novalyyn wrote:
Actually, I'm pretty sure there are browser add-ons that will replace words for you. :) I'm pretty sure I had a friend mention such at some point, how they set theirs to change certain "political" phrases into... basically having the writer insult themself or make "subtle" racist and sexist remarks more clear as what they were.

I'm afraid I don't know what it was called, and I can't usefully look up browser extensions at the moment. But if something that would replace terms would help, maybe that could be useful to you even beyond RPR.

No no, I was referring to the filter for search results and topics. Word-replace extensions don't solve anything in my experience. Filtering out topics by people who have fetishes you don't want to see, however, would be a quite useful functionality for a website like this as it grows.
I don't think there's a reasonable way to track who has what fetish here. A lot of times, people don't even use the functionality that is available to help filter things, so even the existing filters are severely limited.

Maybe if there was a way to build a personal exclusions list for things you never want to turn up in search results? (Because just having exclusions built into the search would require listing all your exclusions every time, which doesn't seem very helpful in this case.) That would still only work in searches, not in browsing, but I think it would be simpler and more reliable than trying to get fetish lists from everyone.
Isidro wrote:
LightSide-Lucree wrote:
But for now. I'm not against using it here. RPR still feels like a welcoming place with the term in play. Though I would like to see a word filter or something similar where you can block out or replace those kind of tricky words with more acceptable alternatives, or even a filter that removes roleplay ads and topics involving those words if people don't want to see those in their search results. I think that would help people be more comfortable if they don't want to see terms like this in a roleplay ad.

I didn't intend to come back to this, but honestly, this would resolve the problem (and similar problems for other people) entirely. I'd love to see something like this.

My initial post was asking if it's an inappropriate word, and the answer I got was no. Problem solved on my end. I actually regret putting in ANY details about myself, I just figured it would help people to understand why I might have such a question.

And to everyone saying "well I haven't been called that" "I've never seen it used this way" etc... um... congratulations? I have. My friends have. Other people have, just because you haven't doesn't make it untrue. And don't say "sorry you feel that way" to anyone, that's really pretentious.

Yes, I do agree with that: I may not have seen it being used negatively with my own eyes, but that doesn't mean it's not true for other people. I still feel that my and others' similar feelings and opinions are valid, though. It's best to look at the whole picture from both sides, I feel, even if they clash.

EDIT: Misunderstandings all around, sorry about that! Regardless, I am glad that your question is very much answered, even though the topic may have taken a different turn than you may have liked.

To: Lightside Lucree it's not especially relevant to the topic, but each of the three paragraphs I typed in that post were each addressing a singular topic, (the first being the post I quoted, the second being once again explaining the topic's first post to others who haven't understood it, and the third addressing several people who have also posted in the topic, using the phrase "everyone who has said..."), hence them being separated into three different, separate paragraphs; sorry for any confusion.
Isidro wrote:
To: Lightside Lucree it's not especially relevant to the topic, but each of the three paragraphs I typed in that post were each addressing a singular topic, (the first being the post I quoted, the second being once again explaining the topic's first post to others who haven't understood it, and the third addressing several people who have also posted in the topic, using the phrase "everyone who has said..."), hence them being separated into three different, separate paragraphs; sorry for any confusion.

Ah, my apologies as well. I do understand where you're coming from though, overall, and I do hope my suggestion is at the very least helpful to some people.

LightSide-Lucree wrote:
Isidro wrote:

Ah, my apologies as well. I do understand where you're coming from though, overall, and I do hope my suggestion is at the very least helpful to some people.

I like your suggestion a lot. Also, it's good that you have good experiences with this term btw. I don't think other people's opinions are wrong. I just speak for people who don't personally wanna see it or be referred to as such.

You are on: Forums » Help » kind of serious question

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus