Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

It seems like Rae is quite worried about the skull already - what did she expect from an age-old tomb connected to some magical hound? Although he can understand his attempt at humor was a pity, the group surely cannot let their morale down now.
"The fella surely was no mage and tried getting in the tomb when the spirit killed him. Anyways, we can't do anything about it now. Prepare for trouble, I have no idea if the spirit likes gold."

He places the coins in the pool, near the center, and prepares a spell as he begins slowly moving the door.

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 16. After the modifier of +1, got 17
Spell - Arcane Projectile

The GM (played by Juls) Topic Starter

The stone is large and heavy. STR roll to move it.
"Hmpf... Not too light... Mind giving me a hand?"
((OK so basically I'm a classical mage no warrior))

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 1. After the modifier of -1, got 0
Strength

Rae grins and a bit of mischief sparkles into her eyes at John's advice. "Ah, donnae ch'ya worry 'bout that - I'm al'ays ready fer trouble!" She waits, hammer at the ready, for a few moments before he grunts out his inability to move the stone.

Then she shakes her head and chuckles. She sloshes hip deep through the water. "Yeh gotta put yahr back in'it. Here." She never puts her hammer down, just presses her shoulder into the door and leans hard, hoping her center of gravity isn't quite too low.

rolled 1d20 and got 16
Strength stat is 14 - and I've forgotten whether I've got a modifier... lost the file I had on my old phone...

Galiena Reyns (played by Juls) Topic Starter

"... I s'pose this poor fella must notta had the right thin', eh?"

"I think he was the offering, Rae," Galiena said uneasily as she eyed the leather bound bundle containing the sword, skull, and coins that John had found. She's still on the edge of the water, heeding John's warning to stay back.

As Rae trudges through the clear pool to join John, she uncovers a second bundle nearly identical to the first: a rotting leather strap around a waterlogged hide. Inside is another pitted bronze sword, a few coins, and a cracked, humanoid skull.

When Rae lends her efforts to moving the stone, it starts to budge... slightly, then slips back down into place. Though, thankfully, the water remains quiet and still aside from the disturbance caused by Rae and John.
Well, shit. One skull near a tomb - sure, might be age old. But two looking like their owners had lived the same, gruesome fate at a similar time could only mean trouble.
"Let's search for a third bundle in the sand before we go further. If you're right, then the three bundles with their contents and some gold coin shall be enough to keep the spirit away."

((did the party fail? Is the GMs plan so machiavellian all PCs will fail on their quest? Has Xepil drowned in the pool, therefore explaining his silence? Find out in the next episode...))
((Lol))

Rae looks skeptical again as John lays out his plan. "So, yeh think we ought t'steal previous offerings an' then give 'em back, an' this guardian spirit thing'll just say, 'Aye, that's fine'? An' if there been two others ahead o' us, is what we're lookin' for even still gonna be in there?" She also wonders whether there might be another entrance and what happened to the three men who came most recently but refrains from asking too many questions at once. But she can't keep from asking one more, "So, uh, anybody ever tried fighting water people b'fore?"
"I'm not sure but the skulls we found might belong to the three persons who tried getting in the tomb, so since they caused the tomb spirits wrath, bringing back the offerings seems a good idea. Didn't find anything so I guess we'll have to get in anyways and fight it. I suppose blessed weapons will damage it greatly, and regular weapons less. Magic should have effect - except water and frost magic. "
Galiena Reyns (played by Juls) Topic Starter

((Been dragging my feet a little so we don't get too far ahead of MordosKull... :) ))

John's theory didn't give the cleric any nice feelings. If the skulls belonged to Josh's friends, it was disturbing to think about what chain of events could have led to just their skulls being wrapped up in hide bundles and mostly buried in the sand.

But if the pitted swords were any indication, these bundles had been there far longer than 6 months.

Galiena shook her head to Rae's question about fighting water people. "I'd rather not if we can help it," she admitted, adding 2 gold coins of her own to the pool.

And just as John is about to give up his search, he finds a third bundle with nearly identical contents as the first 2.
As he finds another bundle, John begins stressing more than before. If his theory is right, the swords are just the first weapons found by Kjeg and his party, and the spirit was able to defeat three of them without letting even one of them time to escape.
"A third one - we're clearly not in a safe place. Let's just put the bundles in the pool, let the gold in it and pray Tymora it's the right procedure."
He puts the bundles in the water, and approaches the door.
"Any objections?"
Xepil (played by MordosKull)

((Backzors! Should be back to regular schedule now.))

"No kiddin'? Grrr." The Hobgoblin growled slightly as John confirmed that they were indeed in a dangerous place.

"I'll take fighting water spirits over undead anyways, grrr. Not a lot of organs to pierce when dealing with skeletons. Grrrr.. unless these spirits are the intangible sort, in which case we're totally screwed, grrr." Xepil was pretty sure all of their mundane equipment was just going to go through incorporeal foes.

"I dunno about these skulls, grrrr, why are their skulls caved in anyway? Grrr, you'd think if a water spirit killed them they'd be drowned or somethin'." The Hobgoblin examines the skulls briefly to try and figure out what kind of trauma caused their fatal injuries.

rolled 1d20 and got 5
Perception on skulls

((Welcome back!))

Even the cursory examination of the skulls show each was hit in roughly the same location... directly in the back, with something blunt.
John Silvershield wrote:
He puts the bundles in the water, and approaches the door.

It still looks incredibly heavy... One person will likely not be able to open it on their own.

((Thanks!!))

Xepil grumbles as he examines the skulls. "Yeh yeh, grrrr, beaned on the back of head with a club. Either this spirit is straight up gangsta' or not a spirit at all, grrr.."

Following John, the Hobbo looks up and down at the door. "Maybe there's a switch we need to pull for this one, grrr."
"A cone of ice through the head could have dealt the damage. I'm pretty sure the spirits are going to be our main problems, not simple undead. The intangible sort seems possible."
John looks around, trying to find a lever or anything else to give an indication of how to open the door.
"I could try a spell on the door - few ones work like that."

rolled 1d20 and got 15
Observation - Hidden Mechanisms?

Xepil wrote:
Following John, the Hobbo looks up and down at the door. "Maybe there's a switch we need to pull for this one, grrr."

When Xepil wanders into the pool of water, he finds a fourth bundle, the same as the first 3: Waterlogged, rotting hide with a pitted bronze sword, cracked skull, and a few coins.

John wrote:
John looks around, trying to find a lever or anything else to give an indication of how to open the door.

Despite checking very well for mechanisms, he finds nothing keeping the stone in place other than gravity and some grass and dirt around it, settled down and around it over the centuries. It seems unlikely that it was moved at all by Josh's 3 acquaintances.
"Fellas, I think she's right," Rae pokes a thumb in Galiena's direction. "These folks didn't have a run-in wi' a guardian spirit - least wise not before they was dead... They were the sacrifices left by other parties seekin' entrance 'ere. We're askin' fer extra trouble t'expect this spirit to accept a recycled sacrifice... What is't wi' this place and its human sacrifices? Gives me the creeps, I tell yeh."

Her brows furrow in thought for a solid minute as she considers possibilities. They could try shoving the door out of the way - or crashing through it. Either option would be an enjoyable activity, but both could lead to dying more quickly (not that that option should necessarily be shied away from...).

Eventually, she clears her throat and presents her opinions. "Well, we cannae disturb th' restin' place o' the dead without expectin' t' bring curses 'pon our own heads - 'specially a place guarded as this. Way I see it, we ken either scope out the rest o' the area fer other entrances or evidence o' the other three that came afore the hound did, or we ken try reasonin' with the guardians that we mean no disrespect..." She looks to each of the others for their thoughts and opinions on the matter.
"Try reasoning with the guardians? Those are antediluvian spirits! Even if they can understand our language, they'll probably try killing us no matter what. I'd say we try to find another entrance, else we prepare to face the water spirit."

"Really? Grrrr. Cone of cold? To the back of the head all the time? Grrr." Xepil chuckled at the idea of a spirit creeping up behind someone and whacking them with a rock shaped cone of cold. "Spirits don't usually care for such precision, grrr."

Xepil counted up the skulls along with the one he just found. One, two, three, four skulls and there were four of them too. That was certainly suspicious, but Xepil was no investigator and couldn't really see the relation in any way other than a coincidence.

He scowled at the way John reacted. "Oh yeah, grrr, leave it to the human to flip his lid about dealing with anything not human, grrr-- no offense Galiena."

"You know what? I think Rae is right, grrr, we should try talking to the guardians." Xepil would normally never opt for the way of diplomacy but it was clear he was doing it to deliberately annoy John.
"You seem like an expert in magic and spirits, so could you please educate me on that topic, o wise goblin ? I crave for your learned opinion." answers John, barely hidding the sarcasm. He turns to Rae. "Why should we discuss with the spirits? They sent a Hound as punishment on their own descendants, and surely will have no mercy for some random adventurers."

Xepil merely scoffs at the sarcasm but he does respond, “What am I an expert of is killing, mage boy, grrrr, and I can tell you whatever killed these guys was a club to the head execution style, grrrr.”

“Also I told you to stop calling me a goblin you freaking halfling spell chucker, grrrr.”

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus