Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

The dwarf listens keenly to the seeming accusations presented by the bard. Though of little use at this point, she's not keen on dismissing the thought that the Jarl or his little priest-guy may have something to do with the appearance of the beast.

Once Josh and Lloré decide to return to the town, she asks them, "If'n ye've not heard from us by evenin' tomorrow, send someone after us - or what's left o' us."

Rae chuckles at Xepil's sudden urge to not be the "leader" of the group. After Galiena's simple prayer, she replies to him, "Aye, but donnae forget where me helmet's bound ta land if I get knocked backwards, ya know... And donnae yeh be dropping yer aim neither; I'm of no mind t'be made a porky-pine this mornin'... Now, how well kin yeh see in the dark?"

((Thanks for your patience, folks! The move has gone pretty well. But it's also been a bit of an emotional roller-coaster as well, and it's been a little difficult to get my head back in the game. But thank you all, and I'm glad to be back! Let's beat this thing! :) ))
Xepil (played by MordosKull)

((Welcome back Rae!))

Xepil tried to appear as solemn as he could for Galiena's benediction. Though he no longer considered himself affiliated to Hobgoblins in any way shape or form, theirs was a highly religious and structured culture and thus Xepil at least remembered that when someone casts a prayer he's supposed to hold still and silent, whether that particular prayer had any effect or not.

Once Galiena is done though, he does mutter something about 'nothing wrong with a bit of chaos' before moving on.

"Tsk, grrheheh." He chuckles at Rae's jab, finding it amusing. "Don't worry, babe, grrr, I got you. No one's gonna touch a hair of yer pretty head. Grrehehe." He even dared to wink at the dwarf, knowing how much it irritated her when he flirted with her.

"I can see just fine in the dark, grrr." Continued the Hobgoblin before glancing to Galiena and John. "Dunno about the humans though, grrr. Anyone brought a torch?"
"Tinderbox, home made torches and a spell of mine shall do. Well, I guess that's all we had to discuss then - anything else or should we go in?"
The GM (played by Juls) Topic Starter

((Glad to hear the move went well! :) Welcome back!))

"I have a lantern too, if we need it," Galiena said, though she didn't light it just yet, preferring to keep her hands free to wield a weapon as long as possible.

The party descends into the vale and stands before the glittering pool created by the two slender silvery streams that run down the east and west sides of the grassy mound. The pool itself is about 20 feet across, but appears shallow... about a foot in depth. The bottom is a white sand bed flecked with mica. Across the pool, set into the earthen mound, is a large circular stone, decorated with serpentine spirals worn by time.
((Thanks!))

A gutteral growl rolls out of the dwarf's throat, and she throws a dirty look at the Hobgoblin and his use of the word "babe." The wink really gets her going. Her fists immediately clench around the handle of her hammer, and for a moment it looks as if she might consider using it. Instead, she spits into the ground and turns on her heel. She almost mentions something about his not being able to keep her untouched last night but quickly decides against further acknowledging his ridiculous words and antics.

As they approach the tomb, the first thing Rae notices is the large stone - presumably the entrance. And it doesn't bode well with her. "'Ey, if these lads indeed came 'ere, either they found another way in, or left with stolen treasures. Or somethin' else closed the entrance behind 'em. Best be on the look out for traps - some could'a already been sprung. But there's like t'be multiple layers of 'em..."
John decides to ignore their quarrel and approaches the door.
"Suspicious enough. I think it's more a trap than the action of any living being - the kind which lets you starve to death with no way out but further exploration. Back off, I'll try to see if it's magical and that might trigger something. "
((What's a mages spell per day limit?))

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 16. After the modifier of +1, got 17
Spell - Detect Magic

Standing across the pool from the stone, they are a little too far away to tell for sure if the stone has been moved recently, but it appears the grasses have overtaken the edges a little, lending weight to Rae's theory that Kej, Stein, & Ilham did not move this stone.

As John approaches the door through the pool, his foot touches something mostly buried in the sand.

Click if object is investigated!
A hide-wrapped bundle hidden just beneath the sand. It is secured with a rotting leather strap.

Further investigation

The waterlogged bundle contains a nicked and pitted bronze sword, a handful of tin and bronze coins, and a cracked, humanoid skull.

And as he casts his detect magic spell, he does indeed see that the door glows softly with an aura of magic. As well as the pool itself. Their auras match, as if the magic of one is tied to the other.
As he sees the door's aura and the pool's, John touches an object in the sand. By reflex he withdraws his foot and inspects what seems like a leather bundle, which contains an old bronze sword, coins and a damaged skull.
"I've got two news, a good one and a bad one. The bad one is this door is magical and so is the pool, so I'll need to investigate further, and the fact there is a crushed skull right here. The good one is this mighty weapon is now ours, and might even have a link to this place." He exclaims as he brandishes the old sword. "Stay away from the door and the pool, I'll try something."

((Edit: this is the best mage ever. He detects magic but is unable to read it
Edit 2: didn't realize I used a D6 - I'll do another roll))

rolled 1d6 and got a natural 6. After the modifier of +1, got 7
Spell - Read Magic

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 1. After the modifier of +1, got 2
Spell - Read Magic

((As tempted as I am to have some fun with that natural 1, no need for the roll at all actually... :) ))

The serpentine spirals seem to writhe as John's magic forces them to reveal their secret. A spell of protection against intruders: if the stone is moved, a water spirit will awaken to attack unless an offering to the spirit has been left in the pool.
((Thanks! Let's hope for better rolls in the future...))
"It would be better to leave an offering in the pool. Has anyone got a gem or do you think this will suffice ?" asks John as he carefully places a handful of gold coins into the pool ((let's say around ten))
Rae's face crinkles a bit skeptically when John seems excited to have found an ancient sword and seeming victim of the tomb or hound (or who knows what other secrets lurking about this place...). The weapon hadn't done that poor soul any good, what's the point in thinking any differently for themselves?

"Nah, I donnae have anythin'. What kind o' offering d'yeh give water anyhow? I s'pose this poor fella must notta had the right thin', eh?" Rae attempts lightheartedness but shuffles a bit nervously on her feet. If they had more time, she'd probably suggest rerouting the streams and draining the pool - no water spirit could surely attack then... But there isn't much time if they're wanting to keep the hound away tonight, so she quickly banishes the thought and nods her approval for the wizard to proceed.
It seems like Rae is quite worried about the skull already - what did she expect from an age-old tomb connected to some magical hound? Although he can understand his attempt at humor was a pity, the group surely cannot let their morale down now.
"The fella surely was no mage and tried getting in the tomb when the spirit killed him. Anyways, we can't do anything about it now. Prepare for trouble, I have no idea if the spirit likes gold."

He places the coins in the pool, near the center, and prepares a spell as he begins slowly moving the door.

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 16. After the modifier of +1, got 17
Spell - Arcane Projectile

The stone is large and heavy. STR roll to move it.
"Hmpf... Not too light... Mind giving me a hand?"
((OK so basically I'm a classical mage no warrior))

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 1. After the modifier of -1, got 0
Strength

Rae grins and a bit of mischief sparkles into her eyes at John's advice. "Ah, donnae ch'ya worry 'bout that - I'm al'ays ready fer trouble!" She waits, hammer at the ready, for a few moments before he grunts out his inability to move the stone.

Then she shakes her head and chuckles. She sloshes hip deep through the water. "Yeh gotta put yahr back in'it. Here." She never puts her hammer down, just presses her shoulder into the door and leans hard, hoping her center of gravity isn't quite too low.

rolled 1d20 and got 16
Strength stat is 14 - and I've forgotten whether I've got a modifier... lost the file I had on my old phone...

Galiena Reyns (played by Juls) Topic Starter

"... I s'pose this poor fella must notta had the right thin', eh?"

"I think he was the offering, Rae," Galiena said uneasily as she eyed the leather bound bundle containing the sword, skull, and coins that John had found. She's still on the edge of the water, heeding John's warning to stay back.

As Rae trudges through the clear pool to join John, she uncovers a second bundle nearly identical to the first: a rotting leather strap around a waterlogged hide. Inside is another pitted bronze sword, a few coins, and a cracked, humanoid skull.

When Rae lends her efforts to moving the stone, it starts to budge... slightly, then slips back down into place. Though, thankfully, the water remains quiet and still aside from the disturbance caused by Rae and John.
Well, shit. One skull near a tomb - sure, might be age old. But two looking like their owners had lived the same, gruesome fate at a similar time could only mean trouble.
"Let's search for a third bundle in the sand before we go further. If you're right, then the three bundles with their contents and some gold coin shall be enough to keep the spirit away."

((did the party fail? Is the GMs plan so machiavellian all PCs will fail on their quest? Has Xepil drowned in the pool, therefore explaining his silence? Find out in the next episode...))
((Lol))

Rae looks skeptical again as John lays out his plan. "So, yeh think we ought t'steal previous offerings an' then give 'em back, an' this guardian spirit thing'll just say, 'Aye, that's fine'? An' if there been two others ahead o' us, is what we're lookin' for even still gonna be in there?" She also wonders whether there might be another entrance and what happened to the three men who came most recently but refrains from asking too many questions at once. But she can't keep from asking one more, "So, uh, anybody ever tried fighting water people b'fore?"
"I'm not sure but the skulls we found might belong to the three persons who tried getting in the tomb, so since they caused the tomb spirits wrath, bringing back the offerings seems a good idea. Didn't find anything so I guess we'll have to get in anyways and fight it. I suppose blessed weapons will damage it greatly, and regular weapons less. Magic should have effect - except water and frost magic. "

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus