Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Survey

What are you doing now?

Procrastinating from writing that chinese essay I have to pass up tomorrow...and it is already 11pm over here.

What is the main thing you have to do tomorrow?

Study for the upcoming exam and finish another essay.

Where did you go on your last trip?

To Hokkaido, in Japan during December! It was so cold that it was snowing for the entire week I’ve been there and I’ve gotten a lot of tea alright!

What is your favorite thing to do for exercise?

Awkwardly imitating those k-pop or workout dances in the privacy of my own room. XD

What does success mean to you?

Contentment- I don’t know if that’s the right word. Success to me, is really just about being satisfied with what I have; or more specifically, having a stable, fulfilling job with time for leisure activities, maybe living in an apartment somewhere with a pet? XD

What do you get into arguments over?

Really stupid things, like the yearly salary of my school’s principal and whether or not (insert thing) is just a marketing gimmick and about the pros and cons of various topics I guess- I just enjoy arguing/debating in general.

What do people not understand about you?

That I am honestly not a good person, or selfless or kind in any way; sometimes, maybe, but honestly? I am probably the self-serving, emotionally-stupid person you can meet in real life. Me being kind and caring is more than often not something I’ve learnt to do to be liked and included. If you shove me in a situation where I have to comfort someone who is breaking down all of a sudden, I am going to be the most insensitive person ever and just go, ‘Uh, there there?” So really, running to me crying and wailing really isn’t going to get more of a reaction out of me other than a long, blank, uncomfortable stare.

(I’ve gotten more than enough backlash for this but I tend to blank out whenever I’m shoved into such a situation haha)

Do you tell "white lies" (insignificant lies)? If so, what is a common "white lie" you tell a lot?

“I’ve finished my homework. I just forgot to bring it.”

“It’s perfectly okay-there is no problem.”

“Yep, I’m good.”

Do the ends justify the means?

Depends? But the first situation that comes to mind is sacrificing my health for grades and if that’s the case then yes

If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?

Is there a reference I am not getting? But it should right? Unless the entire forest falls together, then you wouldn’t hear that specific tree’s sound but you could still hear the entire forest’s falling sound.

Is a 100 ML glass that contains 50 ML of water half empty or half full?

Ooh, I’ve seen this question around a lot and I honestly don’t know the answer to that myself. It is both half empty and half full?

What frustrates you?

My own incompetency and the society’s callousness.
Also, additional maths- that is the worst.

What makes you happy?

Drawing, just drawing in general. Even if I am just splashing paint onto the paper it just makes me happy that I am creating something at least.
Making sweets, or just cooking something and feeling productive. I especially enjoy making cheesecake and fruit jams, since they are probably the easiest thing that I know how to make haha

What do you do when you run out people to chat with in the middle of the night?

Oof, it depends. Sometimes I imagine fictional situations in my head with my characters, sometimes I listen to music till I fall asleep and sometimes I just stare blankly at the ceiling playing random songs in my head to drown out the more negative thoughts.

Do you enjoy your profession or daily work?

Since I am currently a student, I must say I both enjoy and hate it. I enjoy it for being able to learn new things, for being able to apply that knowledge and better myself...but I hate it for the tests, the exams, the overly strict rules in my school and the stress it causes with deadlines and grades.

Would you choose a different profession if you started over again?

I’d totally be a shut-in if I can hhaha- its impossible though, I am not actually working yet.

What kind of people do you get along with?

People who are more chatty I suppose? I feel majorly awkward when I talk to someone who wouldn’t respond, causing me to ramble on and on and get worried if I am talking too much or acting too self-centered. Also, people who are willing to take the time to listen about whats going on in my life, and those who don’t mind being teased a lot.

What kind of people do you not get along with?

People who don’t take a hint- those who intrude my personal space when I am obviously not comfortable with, those who keeps on talking about themselves non-stop even after I tried to change the topic several times, who could somehow relate every single topic back to themselves and is so self-centered that trying to talk to them is practically impossible.

What makes interesting people interesting?

Their interests and what they do I suppose. It’s like- “oh wow! You can draw, play the ukelele and the guitar and skateboard and also play games and is good at studying?!

What makes interesting conversations interesting?

When it is a mutual conversation, not something one-sided I think. An interesting conversation is when both parties are interested in the topic, and the topic being discussed really engages every one and makes them think. Now that I thought about it, that sounds more like a debate really haha.

What makes great books great instead of good?

When it makes me feel; when it makes me feel happy when the character succeeds in something, when it makes me cry and get frustrated or angry when something happens to the character. I tend to find great books-in my opinion- are able to let myself fully immerse into that world, as in, I could imagine the scene play out in my mind’s eye as I read it.

Idk, I was just thinking of that one fanfiction I read that made me use up an entire packet of tissues haha

What makes great people great?

I haven’t met many people I consider ‘great’ in my lives I suppose, but I think great people are great when they are aware of themselves and understand themselves. They know where their strengths and weaknesses are, they don’t shy away from it and would express themselves unapologetically regardless; those that can laugh along with others when they make a mistake, and could motivate people to strive to be just as great as them?

Sounds like someone really charismatic, so I suppose that’s that?

What's is the best conversation starter?

“Oh wow, where did you get that? It’s so cute”

“(Commenting on something the person did) I know you are tall but please don’t stand in front of me to try to block the air con-it is really not gonna work.”

What is the best conversation ender?

“Bye, got homework to do.”

Are you still bored?

Nope, never was. Just procrastinating from essay. XD
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Birdy99 wrote:
What are you doing now?

Procrastinating from writing that chinese essay I have to pass up tomorrow...and it is already 11pm over here.

To Hokkaido, in Japan during December! It was so cold that it was snowing for the entire week I’ve been there and I’ve gotten a lot of tea alright!

Awkwardly imitating those k-pop or workout dances in the privacy of my own room. XD

Contentment- I don’t know if that’s the right word. Success to me, is really just about being satisfied with what I have; or more specifically, having a stable, fulfilling job with time for leisure activities, maybe living in an apartment somewhere with a pet? XD

Really stupid things, like the yearly salary of my school’s principal and whether or not (insert thing) is just a marketing gimmick and about the pros and cons of various topics I guess- I just enjoy arguing/debating in general.

That I am honestly not a good person, or selfless or kind in any way; sometimes, maybe, but honestly? I am probably the self-serving, emotionally-stupid person you can meet in real life. Me being kind and caring is more than often not something I’ve learnt to do to be liked and included. If you shove me in a situation where I have to comfort someone who is breaking down all of a sudden, I am going to be the most insensitive person ever and just go, ‘Uh, there there?” So really, running to me crying and wailing really isn’t going to get more of a reaction out of me other than a long, blank, uncomfortable stare.

(I’ve gotten more than enough backlash for this but I tend to blank out whenever I’m shoved into such a situation haha)

Do you tell "white lies" (insignificant lies)? If so, what is a common "white lie" you tell a lot?

“Yep, I’m good.”

Depends? But the first situation that comes to mind is sacrificing my health for grades and if that’s the case then yes

Is there a reference I am not getting? But it should right? Unless the entire forest falls together, then you wouldn’t hear that specific tree’s sound but you could still hear the entire forest’s falling sound.

Ooh, I’ve seen this question around a lot and I honestly don’t know the answer to that myself. It is both half empty and half full?

What frustrates you?

What makes you happy?

Drawing, just drawing in general. Even if I am just splashing paint onto the paper it just makes me happy that I am creating something at least.
Making sweets, or just cooking something and feeling productive. I especially enjoy making cheesecake and fruit jams, since they are probably the easiest thing that I know how to make haha

Oof, it depends. Sometimes I imagine fictional situations in my head with my characters, sometimes I listen to music till I fall asleep and sometimes I just stare blankly at the ceiling playing random songs in my head to drown out the more negative thoughts.

Since I am currently a student, I must say I both enjoy and hate it. I enjoy it for being able to learn new things, for being able to apply that knowledge and better myself...but I hate it for the tests, the exams, the overly strict rules in my school and the stress it causes with deadlines and grades.

I’d totally be a shut-in if I can hhaha- its impossible though, I am not actually working yet.

People who are more chatty I suppose? I feel majorly awkward when I talk to someone who wouldn’t respond, causing me to ramble on and on and get worried if I am talking too much or acting too self-centered. Also, people who are willing to take the time to listen about whats going on in my life, and those who don’t mind being teased a lot.

People who don’t take a hint- those who intrude my personal space when I am obviously not comfortable with, those who keeps on talking about themselves non-stop even after I tried to change the topic several times, who could somehow relate every single topic back to themselves and is so self-centered that trying to talk to them is practically impossible.

Their interests and what they do I suppose. It’s like- “oh wow! You can draw, play the ukelele and the guitar and skateboard and also play games and is good at studying?!

When it is a mutual conversation, not something one-sided I think. An interesting conversation is when both parties are interested in the topic, and the topic being discussed really engages every one and makes them think. Now that I thought about it, that sounds more like a debate really haha.

When it makes me feel; when it makes me feel happy when the character succeeds in something, when it makes me cry and get frustrated or angry when something happens to the character. I tend to find great books-in my opinion- are able to let myself fully immerse into that world, as in, I could imagine the scene play out in my mind’s eye as I read it.

Idk, I was just thinking of that one fanfiction I read that made me use up an entire packet of tissues haha

I haven’t met many people I consider ‘great’ in my lives I suppose, but I think great people are great when they are aware of themselves and understand themselves. They know where their strengths and weaknesses are, they don’t shy away from it and would express themselves unapologetically regardless; those that can laugh along with others when they make a mistake, and could motivate people to strive to be just as great as them?

“(Commenting on something the person did) I know you are tall but please don’t stand in front of me to try to block the air con-it is really not gonna work.”

Are you still bored?

Well I enjoyed your procrastination. Lol

I love your answer to the tree question. Hahaha it would sound so weird if someone had never heard it before, that's funny.

It's like...this thing. I don't fully understand it myself, but it's a question philosophers ask because how you answer it is supposed to tell something about you. Like...whether you believe there is an objective reality or not. Or something like that. Hold on...

I looked it up. Here's an explanation if you wanna go deeper into it:

Wikipedia on "if a tree falls in a forest"

It seems like most people here believe that things exist whether or not someone perceives them, and I do too, but there are a group of people who believe that something does not exist until or unless it is observed. I think I explained that right. It's really interesting. But anyway...I never understood how anyone could not think it makes a sound, or, at least, a vibration...

But yeah, now you have the reference! It's some philosophy thing!

I love your answer to the water question too. It is both half empty and half full. I guess that makes you a realist. I dunno. That's another one of those questions. It's supposed to show whether your optimistic or pessimistic. I like thinking about things. :p

Thanks for doing this!

Nico wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Nico wrote:
What are you doing now?
I've just replied to all my RPs, so now I'm just staring at my screen, thinking about that I should go to bed soon. I have to start on a exam paper tomorrow for my linguistics class tomorrow, so I should really get going... but instead I'm doing this survey.

My exam paper on phonetics, which I suck at (but who can blame me, my major is Latin, there's no study of phonetics of a dead language), and then I have to go to the cinema in the afternoon as a sort of break.

Just came back this Sunday after a trip to New York and Ottawa. My father just moved to Canada after living in Russia for 5 years, where I visited him countless times, so it's not my last trip there!

Dancing! I do Bollywood dancing semi-professionally, or I'm at least signed to a company as a dancer haha!

Doing something you love every day is what I'm aiming for; if you manage to do that, I would call that success.

I rarely get into real arguments; but grammar (sigh, the life of a language major), ancient history, politics, unfortunately, and then I argue a lot with my father in general, but it never gets hostile or anything.

That I'm an ambivert - a great mixture of extrovert and introvert. My father always says that I cannot be an introvert, since I'm so good in certain social situations, but I can definitely be extroverted at times, if not a lot, but I get. so. exhausted. when I'm together with a lot of people for longer periods of time. It's no big deal, I just need time, time to withdraw and just be myself, and if I'm not allowed to do so, I just get really sad, and sometimes that's really hard to explain - so people have a hard time understanding.

I actually don't think so. I mostly just... don't say anything, which can be just as bad. If I had to think of any, it's "Sure, I'm fine" or "I'm ok".

It depends on the specific situation, I would say, but if I had to choose just one answer, I would say no.

Yes.

Half full!

What frustrates you?
The fact that I overthink everything, that I don't really know what I'm going to do with my life, that I'm so bad at replying people in any situation, texts, on FB, or here, I'm just horrible haha.

What makes you happy?
So many things. My family, my friends, sitting with a good book and just... disappearing into it, playing on my Nintendo, especially anything Zelda, certain Roman authors, Ovid for example, giving my friends and family presents, my bed.

I'm the type of person who goes to bed early, so the likelihood of that happening is very small to be fair, it's a miracle I'm awake right now (it's 23:25 where I am and I'm only awake because of jetlag...). IF it would happen, I would just browse the internet for the most random things, I'm good at that.

I do! It can be tiresome, but I really enjoy it.

Hm, I'm not sure, then a lot of things should be different. I thought about being a language officer in Russian a lot, but I could also see myself being a writer, archaeologist, or working with humanitarian aid of some kind.

I get along with a lot of people, when I think about it, but especially people who are into some of the same things as me: Languages, history, manga, video games, fantasy, Japan, RPing. I get along well with people, whom I can have deeper discussions with - it being history, politics, the world, and everything in between.

People who only talk about themselves and who has the ability to turn any kind of conversation into a conversation about them. Just people who are a little bit too full of themselves, who love to hear themselves talk (which can be an ok thing, but with some people.... ugh)

Just the fact that they have a story to tell - and everyone has at least one. It can be so fascinating to just hear people talk, maybe not even about something they've experienced, but something they love, passion can make mostly anything interesting.

As mentioned above, passion is a good place to start, especially if it goes both ways if it's a conversation. If there's passion, the topic can be really anything, right?

A great book swallows you completely, takes you away from reality, and teleports you into its own universe. When you feel a part of it all and only hours later realise how long you've actually spent on simply reading.

I once read a book while picnicking with my family. A girl went missing in the forest and my family helped search for her, and I didn't realise for so long, the book had me completely in its hands.

Kind people are the greatest. Those who can set themselves aside for other people, who can emphasise, who listens, who cares. Those are truly great.

I'm a horrible conversation starter haha! I should read other people's answers and get inspired...

Simply excusing yourself with a "have a nice evening", if the setting is a bit more formal, otherwise going to the bathroom is a pretty good conversation ender, even if you don't have to pee, hah.

Are you still bored?
Actually no! But I'm so tired, it's almost midnight, so I should sleep - thank you for this late night entertainment!

You seem like an interesting person. This whole thing was just really interesting. You're welcome and sorry for the late night temptation of the survey (mwa ha ha ha). Good look on the paper I'm sure you will do great. Yeah I guess phonetics is the most boring aspect of language, huh? Like studying elements instead of compounds or something.

Aah, thank you so much, glad that it was an interesting read hehe <3 And yes, at least to me it's the least interesting... as my native language is Danish and this paper focuses on Danish phonetics, which are absolutely wild since we butcher our words extensively, it can be slightly interesting, but I cannot wait for it to be over...

Your welcome, interesting person. ;) Feel free to PM me if you're ever bored and we'll talk about interesting things.
Abigail_Austin wrote:
Birdy99 wrote:
What are you doing now?

“Yep, I’m good.”

What frustrates you?

What makes you happy?

Are you still bored?

Well I enjoyed your procrastination. Lol

I love your answer to the tree question. Hahaha it would sound so weird if someone had never heard it before, that's funny.

It's like...this thing. I don't fully understand it myself, but it's a question philosophers ask because how you answer it is supposed to tell something about you. Like...whether you believe there is an objective reality or not. Or something like that. Hold on...

I looked it up. Here's an explanation if you wanna go deeper into it:

Wikipedia on "if a tree falls in a forest"

It seems like most people here believe that things exist whether or not someone perceives them, and I do too, but there are a group of people who believe that something does not exist until or unless it is observed. I think I explained that right. It's really interesting. But anyway...I never understood how anyone could not think it makes a sound, or, at least, a vibration...

But yeah, now you have the reference! It's some philosophy thing!

I love your answer to the water question too. It is both half empty and half full. I guess that makes you a realist. I dunno. That's another one of those questions. It's supposed to show whether your optimistic or pessimistic. I like thinking about things. :p

Thanks for doing this!

Oh wow, thanks for the link. After reading that I feel so conflicted haha-since sound is a vibration humans perceive with their ear so technically the tree wouldn’t make a sound but sound is technically only vibrations so what the- hahahha thanks for telling me that

But huh, I think I might have the same opinion on you on that one, as in, things exists whether or not someone can perceive it- its just difficult to wrap my head around the other answer...hmm, a bit thought-provoking, or that question would just give me a good excuse to procrastianate idk

Thanks for making this survey! It is really cool of you to do this ^^

Birdy99 wrote:

Oh wow, thanks for the link. After reading that I feel so conflicted haha-since sound is a vibration humans perceive with their ear so technically the tree wouldn’t make a sound but sound is technically only vibrations so what the- hahahha thanks for telling me that

But huh, I think I might have the same opinion on you on that one, as in, things exists whether or not someone can perceive it- its just difficult to wrap my head around the other answer...hmm, a bit thought-provoking, or that question would just give me a good excuse to procrastianate idk

Thanks for making this survey! It is really cool of you to do this ^^

Ha! No problem! Yes...that sound/vibration thing...truuue. Technically, I guess, a vibration is only a sound if someone hears it, technically. (Wow, you really did read the article. I don't really expect people to go down my little rabbit holes...I'm honored! lol.) So I guess, technically, if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, it doesn't make a sound. Because of the definition of the word "sound." Butttt...if the question is asking the philosophical question that I originally thought before I read that Wikipedia article (I learned something too), then I think it DOES make a sound, because I think that things are real independent of being observed, even though we can't prove they're real without observing them. Doesn't matter. So in that way of looking at the question, I think it makes a sound. Oy, complicated question, huh? Ok I'll stop distracting you, write that essay, you can do it! ;)

Also, you're welcome but making surveys is a self-serving thing for me because I love reading peoples' answers! lol.
Rogue-Scribe

What are you doing now?
Answering this survey

Work 7.6 hours.

Edmonton Alberta and Seattle Washington

Walking

To be happy in life.

Politics with my older sister and her radical trumpshirt extreme right-wing christian opinions
Why I write and RP

If you mean light-hearted bullshit, yeah.

Not usually

Yes. I was camped quite far up Mineral Creek west of Roslyn Washington (Northern Exposure town of Cicley Alaska if anyone remembers that TV show) when a heavy storm came through. My brother and I were in a little two man tent in the dark, and the wind and rain and lightnong and thunder was like hell. A nearby lightning strike exploded a 200 year old Douglas Fir about a quarter mile back down the trail and you could hear the splinters of wood wizzing by outside the tent. Then after about five seconds, you could hear this groaning and cracking, and then more cracking and popping, and then a loud crack before there was a heavy thud that shook the ground we were laying on. So the answer is yes. It would have made those sounds whether we were there or not.

It would depend on whether the glass is being filled or being drained.

What frustrates you?
right now, My inability to write good multi-para RP posts.

What makes you happy?
Living with the love of my life

Go to bed

It's alright.

Yes, probably.

Drunks? No, seriously, the good friends that I have, old and new are all caring, loving people.

Assholes, bitots, closed minded religious types, and trumpshirts

A bit of mystery and intrigue in them.

Ones where people are honest and open with each other.

They get and keep my interest

They are good for the world.

I don't tend to start conversations

Fvck off

Are you still bored?
I wasn't to begin with.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Survey

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus