Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Receiving no reply

I dunno man, it's happened to me a few times.
It takes a lot of courage I think to pm someone out of the blue on the offchance they want to rp because there's a big risk of rejection. I always try to respond to people but others opt for the ignore approach for whatever reason. Maybe they just get too many replies and think "i'll respond to that" and then forget? I dunno, maybe they're just rude or don't want to reject so prefer to say nothing rather than saying no?

Whatever the case, it's frustrating people on here can't be a little more well.. polite.

I don't have any real suggestions beyond keep trying, keep repling to threads and hope you eventually find someone who meshes with you.

It's really difficult though, I just.. eugh.. stressful.
- - - (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Balin wrote:
Heya! We all go through this, but attacking the fundamentals is crucial. Consider the following:

1. What fascinates you about the characters? It's probably something different for all of them. Take note of it and try to emulate the literary techniques (or if it fits, the traits) when you draft up characters.

2. Take stock of the potential limiting/alienating factors of your own characters. Figure out which are core, and which could be flexible based on RP. I have to live with the fact that not everyone's going to want to write with a character of Balin's size, but his morals and exact capabilities are negotiable.

3. Find out what information you like to see in a character bio and make sure it's there. A lot of people want an informative, readable take on appearance and personality.

Wishing you luck!

These are all great tips and I’ll definitely use them, thank you! :D

Purple_monkfish wrote:
I dunno man, it's happened to me a few times.
It takes a lot of courage I think to pm someone out of the blue on the offchance they want to rp because there's a big risk of rejection. I always try to respond to people but others opt for the ignore approach for whatever reason. Maybe they just get too many replies and think "i'll respond to that" and then forget? I dunno, maybe they're just rude or don't want to reject so prefer to say nothing rather than saying no?

Whatever the case, it's frustrating people on here can't be a little more well.. polite.

I don't have any real suggestions beyond keep trying, keep repling to threads and hope you eventually find someone who meshes with you.

It's really difficult though, I just.. eugh.. stressful.

It’s definitely frustrating, as I would prefer to be rejected gently instead of being ignored but I don’t think there’s much we can do. Thank you for the words of motivation!
Yeah I admit to being one of the ones who thought you used this profile to pm to others. The thought you made it up to ask this question didn't even occur to me. So I apologize for that.

Now as for some hopefully helpful advice, I need to ask, just what kind of messages do you send out? For example, do you mention which character(s) you like and which one(s) of yours would like to pair with it?

It's just yet another way of selling yourself as people really appreciate it when you mention what you have in mind vs going just "hey want to rp?"

I don't know exactly what you send out in your messages, so it's possible you already do this, so please forgive if my advice is useless.
Rogue-Scribe

I guess I was being "mean". Sorry.

It is every individual's perogative to reply or not to messages they get, either to the account or to characters.
I wouldnt take it personally. It's just the way it is. Anyway, good luck with your messaging. :)
Hi there. I would start with a compliment, which maybe you already do, and like novalyyn said, indicate that it's ok if they say no. I put something like, "if you don't have the time, I totally understand; just thought I'd ask." And I have a feeling that maybe the search method you're using might lead to more of that problem, because maybe if you're browing characters, some of the ones you happen to find might have been made by people who aren't that active anymore...like old characters? Just an idea. Going to LFRP eliminates that problem, because you can see how long ago they posted and that probably increases your odds a lot right there. Good luck. Oh...one more tip...check the person's profile to make sure they don't have a note up that says they're filled up and not accepting roleplays. Ok good luck!
I know how you feel. I get really anxious about asking people if they can roleplay based soely on a charcter. I usually comment on a plot thing in the looking for rps. However I don't always get a reply. I want to say don't give up hope someone is bound to roleplay with you. You can always hit me up if you want.

Katia wrote:
Yeah I admit to being one of the ones who thought you used this profile to pm to others. The thought you made it up to ask this question didn't even occur to me. So I apologize for that.

Now as for some hopefully helpful advice, I need to ask, just what kind of messages do you send out? For example, do you mention which character(s) you like and which one(s) of yours would like to pair with it?

It's just yet another way of selling yourself as people really appreciate it when you mention what you have in mind vs going just "hey want to rp?"

I don't know exactly what you send out in your messages, so it's possible you already do this, so please forgive if my advice is useless.

I figured it was pretty self-explanatory, but looking back, I definitely should have made myself clearer.

Yes, I do mention the characters I like and which character of my own I would like to pair said character of theirs with. I do thank you for your advice, though!

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
I guess I was being "mean". Sorry.

It is every individual's perogative to reply or not to messages they get, either to the account or to characters.
I send out many a message without a reply. I don't take it personally. It's just the way it is. Anyway, good luck with your messaging. :)

Thank you

Abigail_Austin wrote:
Hi there. I would start with a compliment, which maybe you already do, and like novalyyn said, indicate that it's ok if they say no. I put something like, "if you don't have the time, I totally understand; just thought I'd ask." And I have a feeling that maybe the search method you're using might lead to more of that problem, because maybe if you're browing characters, some of the ones you happen to find might have been made by people who aren't that active anymore...like old characters? Just an idea. Going to LFRP eliminates that problem, because you can see how long ago they posted and that probably increases your odds a lot right there. Good luck. Oh...one more tip...check the person's profile to make sure they don't have a note up that says they're filled up and not accepting roleplays. Ok good luck!

I feel like I already do what you mention; compliment their character, invite a possible negative response. When I browse through characters, I use the filter that lists them from most recently edited. I always check out a persons profile (unless the character is anonymous, of course) to see what they might be interested, if they're still active, etc.

Galaxy-Star wrote:
I know how you feel. I get really anxious about asking people if they can roleplay based soely on a charcter. I usually comment on a plot thing in the looking for rps. However I don't always get a reply. I want to say don't give up hope someone is bound to roleplay with you. You can always hit me up if you want.

I'm glad somebody can relate! I find it difficult to look for possible partners in the LFRP forums, as most people who make a forum there seem to have differently preferred genres, compared to myself.
- - - wrote:
Galaxy-Star wrote:

I'm glad somebody can relate! I find it difficult to look for possible partners in the LFRP forums, as most people who make a forum there seem to have differently preferred genres, compared to myself.

Maybe you should put up a topic in there, then people can see if they're interested in that genre. I'm open to any genre and often comment on things that intrigue me even if it's a genre I would never consider

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Receiving no reply

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus