Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » "Cooking" tricks

Cooking is actually super fun and most things don't take long!!

I get cheap / super fatty cuts of meat and make an all-day-bake pasta sauce. If you're vegetarian you can opt-out of the meat. Heres a good recipe:

baked pasta sauce .. I use a stainless steel pan.. you have to make sure the pan is oven safe!!

I make ramen noodles a lot too lol: chili flavored, drain the majority of the water before I add the seasoning. I always add in an egg, some vegetables (I live close to an asian market so I will usually add some seaweed.. if not, tofu, chicken, mushrooms, thin sliced cabbage...). Like someone above said, sometimes its just the noodles and an egg.

You can get a rotisserie chicken from the store, use the meat, then boil it to make chicken stock / bone stock. Then you can use that for making stuff in the crock pot or other cooking.

Peanut butter + fruit like bananas or apples make a great snack. Or you can pair fruit with cheese.

Or grilled cheese. I use mayo instead of butter for mine 9___9 .. Rubens are awesome.. I grill the corned beef then mix the thousand island dressing with it while it's in the pan, and lightly heat the cabbage. And I toast the bread in a separate pan using mayo instead of butter lol. And put the cheese on the bread and let it melt, then add more dressing before I put the meat on and serve.

Most of this stuff takes less than 15/20 minutes tbh!

A cooking class would definitely help. You'll notice a big difference in how you feel for sure.
SexySultryBabe wrote:
Marie callender pot pies. Turkey vegetables the pie crust. 5 minutes in the microwave. This advice is coming from miss drive through herself. LOL

Marie Callender (idek if that's how it's spelled but I'm too lazy to check so we'll go with it) are actually the best pot pies on the planet. the best.
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

SexySultryBabe wrote:
Marie callender pot pies. Turkey vegetables the pie crust. 5 minutes in the microwave. This advice is coming from miss drive through herself. LOL

Duly noted!

light wrote:
Cooking is actually super fun and most things don't take long!!

I get cheap / super fatty cuts of meat and make an all-day-bake pasta sauce. If you're vegetarian you can opt-out of the meat. Heres a good recipe:

baked pasta sauce .. I use a stainless steel pan.. you have to make sure the pan is oven safe!!

I make ramen noodles a lot too lol: chili flavored, drain the majority of the water before I add the seasoning. I always add in an egg, some vegetables (I live close to an asian market so I will usually add some seaweed.. if not, tofu, chicken, mushrooms, thin sliced cabbage...). Like someone above said, sometimes its just the noodles and an egg.

You can get a rotisserie chicken from the store, use the meat, then boil it to make chicken stock / bone stock. Then you can use that for making stuff in the crock pot or other cooking.

Peanut butter + fruit like bananas or apples make a great snack. Or you can pair fruit with cheese.

Or grilled cheese. I use mayo instead of butter for mine 9___9 .. Rubens are awesome.. I grill the corned beef then mix the thousand island dressing with it while it's in the pan, and lightly heat the cabbage. And I toast the bread in a separate pan using mayo instead of butter lol. And put the cheese on the bread and let it melt, then add more dressing before I put the meat on and serve.

Most of this stuff takes less than 15/20 minutes tbh!

A cooking class would definitely help. You'll notice a big difference in how you feel for sure.

Okay, now I'm really hungry. Maybe someday I'll wanna do all that. You make it sound easy but man that sounds gooood.
As far as grilled cheese goes....I actually use 2 taco bell mild sauces, one on each side of the cheese before I cook it. Man that comes out good, especially if you're using like cheddar cheese (I imagine any Mexican blend cheese will be awesome like this also)
Darion (played anonymously)

Mm... Food is nice.

An egg quesadilla is always quick and yummy, good breakfast food.

Mix an egg (or two if you want a big quesadilla), butter a pan, toss the scrambled egg in the pan, flip a tortilla over it, let um cook together.

Then flip it over, the egg should be cooked to the tortilla, put cheese of your choice in, fold, let it melt and "tada".

I like dipping them in sour cream, or tomato pasta sauce or both.

Plain grilled cheese is good with pasta sauce or ketchup too. I sometimes put like, ham sandwich meat in my grilled cheese as well.

Smoothies are yummy and easy too, very healthy and a great pick-me-up morning food.
Frozen fruit of your choice, milk or juice, yogurt, peanut or almond butter for protein, and sometimes greens like kale or spinach and honey (natural or raw honey is really good for you).

M'kay, now I'mma s'cuse myself. Hope that was helpful...
JustAGuy

want a SUPER cheap meal? Eat ramen, where I buy I get 18 cents a thing
.....it miiiiight not be the most nutritious XD

Darion wrote:
Mm... Food is nice.

An egg quesadilla is always quick and yummy, good breakfast food.

Mix an egg (or two if you want a big quesadilla), butter a pan, toss the scrambled egg in the pan, flip a tortilla over it, let um cook together.

Then flip it over, the egg should be cooked to the tortilla, put cheese of your choice in, fold, let it melt and "tada".

I like dipping them in sour cream, or tomato pasta sauce or both.

Plain grilled cheese is good with pasta sauce or ketchup too. I sometimes put like, ham sandwich meat in my grilled cheese as well.

Smoothies are yummy and easy too, very healthy and a great pick-me-up morning food.
Frozen fruit of your choice, milk or juice, yogurt, peanut or almond butter for protein, and sometimes greens like kale or spinach and honey (natural or raw honey is really good for you).

M'kay, now I'mma s'cuse myself. Hope that was helpful...

Yummmm

Never heard of an egg quesadilla!

Thanks everybody! Gives me some great ideas!
Lazy food!

Meat and Potatoes

Pick a meat; I recommend chicken or pork chops. Buy as big of a pack as you want, keep them separated in the freezer.

An hour or more before you want to eat, pull out the amount of meat you want, and put it in a pot with water (no thawing necessary) and whatever spices smell like they'd be good for your dinner. A lid is recommended. Boil the meat. Check once in awhile to flip meat or add water if necessary; otherwise, pay attention to whatever else you need to get done. The longer you leave it, the more tender it will be. I've left it around 4 hours before.

When you want to eat, let the water evaporate down a bit and remove the meat. Add instant mashed potatoes to your already-seasoned water. Stir a bit. Serve. Bam, totally legit meal. Second side optional.

Can also be done with a slow cooker so long as it is rated to cook meat. Poultry requires the most heat.

Tuna

Open and drain can of tuna in water. Add some rosemary. Add some lemon juice. Stir up. Eat. Dish unnecessary.

Ramen

Add an egg. Just crack it open and stir it in while it boils. Seasonings can also add complexity, but don't overdo it.
Okay, so I thought this was a very obvious combination, but as of the past few years, I've noticed that some people have never put these two things together, so... might as well pop in.

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup ... it's as easy as it sounds. Make some grilled cheese. Microwave some tomato soup... tada, you win.

If you're too lazy for that (as I often am), then an alternative in the same vein is Microwavable Tomato Soup (I use the campbell's drinkable ones, the tall skinny things) and some regular ol' bread. It's not as satisfying, but it gets the same general feel but extra lazy heehee

Mac n' Cheese and Tuna It's come to my attention recently that some people don't realize how delicious of a combination this is. Do yourself a favor and make some kraft mac n' cheese, add like a small can or a small can and a half of drained tuna. So good... <3

Mac n' Cheese level up
  • Y'know those Kraft mac n cheese boxes you can make on the stove top in like 6-ish minutes? Level it up by adding in a quarter cup of shredded cheese. Personally, I'll add a quarter cup of a few cheeses... like 3-4 different kinds. Cheddar, Colby, Mexican blend, Pepper Jack, etc. etc. - It adds a lot to the mac n' cheese, it's really good. <3
  • Do you have a microwaveable cup of mac n' cheese? One of those little ones you add water and packet powder to? Add a small - large spoonful of butter (I won't judge ;)) (before or after microwaving ... I usually do a small before, and then stir in a small after). Once you're done microwaving, plop in a dollop of sour cream. If necessary for warmth, re-heat a little bit.
  • If you get nothing else from this, ADD SOUR CREAM TO MAC N CHEESE. This has been the best decision I've ever made. DO IT.**
  • Advice once given to me: Add a bit of garlic powder to your mac n cheese. ... this is pretty eh for my personal preference, but it's good. <3

**If you ever have extra pasta leftovers, add Sour Cream and a spoonful of butter when reheating. This not only rehydrates it a little (an issue I've had in the past when making the leftovers), but also makes it extra tasty. <3

I may have an issue with sour cream...

Microwave Mini Pizzas can be upgraded by just powdering on a little (or, in my case, a TON) of parmesan. Wanna add an extra little bit? Half some cherry tomatoes and set them on top. Slice the pizza after microwaving. Add ranch for dipping. Nummy. <3
I'm a college student so I just microwave ramen noodle packets in a bowl filled with water but not too much because then it over flows, I have some korean chile pepper flakes so I add that before the microwave so it cooks and infuses with the noodles, sometimes some soy sauce depending if i want some saltyness. Depending on the flavor pack lemon juice is a wonderful addition just buy presqueeze if you don't want to cut lemons. Flavor packets add at the end of cooking.

If you don't want juice and a sort of dry ramen then just do the same just less water and cover with a paper plate. It usually just takes 5 minutes most of the time.
Ben Moderator

I love to cook but I know the struggle. Here are some of my "cant be bothered" gotos;

If you like the sound of a crock pot look into an instant pot (pressure cooker) you can make the same kinds of things as in a crock pot but in 15 minutes as opposed to 8 hours. For example in ours we cook chicken + salsa it takes ten minutes then we pull it and put it in taco bowls with some veggies.

I am ALWAYS on the lookout for tortellini on sale at the store. When I see it for cheap, I buy it, cook and toss in butter, parmesan, pepper and parsley.

We like to buy bags of frozen pot stickers. Fry em up for easy lazy nosh.

Taco salad: ground chicken fried with taco seasoning. Chopped lettuce, onions, bell peppers, black beans, canned sweet corn, avacado, some chips.

This one sounds like work but it's so worth it: get a wok. It's one of my most used pans. Get pre cut strips of beef, and a bunch of veggies (whatever you like), and a bottle of stir fry sauce. Throw it all in the wok. Add sauce last. Yum!

There are so many good recipes but most of the ones I have require a little more time than this, so I'll leave it at that.

Putting in a little bit of extra work is so worth it. I promise!
I’m thrilled to know that I’m not the only one that enjoys adding to my canned soup! My favorite quick meal is putting cayenne pepper to almost any and all soup I heat up. Particularly, chicken soup. Mm! The spicy flavor is to die for!

I think a good tip, that I was told a long time ago, was to use chicken broth rather than plain water for rice. It makes brown rice taste so good and flavorful. I do this to beans that I might throw in the crock pot, too!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » "Cooking" tricks

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus