Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Weird Little Habits

Zelphyr Topic Starter

I figured I'd go ahead and share some more. First though: shifting your weight between legs is healthy. Some do it more obviously than others, but standing for an extended time with your legs locked still actually reduces the flow of blood back up into the rest your of your body, which can eventually lead to vertigo.

Anyway!

Past criticism makes me stop pretty quick if I know anyone is listening, but I hum and sing to myself a lot. Some of it is humming, random inventions more often than actual songs. Sometimes I sing in gibberish that, when people have heard it, they've mistaken it for an actual language; one person even said it sounded like a hybrid of French and Japanese in particular. Sometimes I sing actual words, and while it may not all make sense together, it still comes out pretty naturally with, I think, decent rhyme and rhythm. And sometimes, it is just actual songs I'm singing.

I used to be a random hugger, but that's become extremely circumstantial. In part, I learned the importance of checking to see if the recipient is okay with it first. Another part... I suspect I developed a little unhealthy bit of thinking, actually, but I have yet to be able to put it into words; however, it does decrease my own comfort with hugs.

I chomp. It happens most often when I'm waking up, but for the past few months, I'll sometimes just chomp my teeth several times. I suspect this may actually be a new form of non-specific stress response, but I've had worse ones crop up in the past. I don't think my other occasional teeth clicking is usually actually related.

Mouth
It's not a thing much anymore, but I used to be kinda bitey. I usually did hold back, and when I acted o
it, I usually excused it as a joke. Something I realized though is that I found it weirdly comforting (to me) to bite people. I still haven't been able to explain it, but something about it was soothing to me. I do have a friend who tolerates me biting him once in awhile (it's pretty rare now), and he knows I'll let go within maybe a minute. I think it amuses him.

I like touching soft things. If my hair was recently cut, I'll keep touching the soft little underhairs. If I'm wearing something very soft or smooth, I'll keep rubbing it. If handed something soft, I'll fuss over it and keep petting it for a bit. My grandma has this crazy-soft, baby-fine hair, and I pet her every time I visit. (She just stands there and laughs.) Texture, on the other hand, I'll scratch and pick at, often without realizing it until I've picked something apart.

Naked thoughts
So here's one I'm hesitant to admit to. I frequently imagine random people naked (in as much as my visual imagination works, anyway). I don't know why. There's nothing sexual about it - it's like an examination pose, just standing there, emotionally blank. (Plus, y'know, I'm asexual.) I only do it to a small fraction of people, but I have yet to determine any reason or pattern or anything.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Weird Little Habits

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus