Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Soundtrack from the Underground

Rogue-Scribe

I thought I'd post my music playlist for the day as I'm on my headphones listening to music through my work day. I may do this regularly just because it is fun.
My soundtrack of the workday today (2019-3-14) was heavy into the classic rock long-jams...

Creedence Clearwater Revival ~ Heard it Through the Grapevine
Rare Earth ~ I know I'm Losing You
Santana ~ Soul Sacrafice
Iron Butterfly ~ Inagaddadavida
Chambers Brothers ~ Time
The Marmalade ~ Reflections of my Life
The Beatles ~ Rain
Nancy Sinatra ~ These Boots are Made for Walkin'
Traffic ~ Low Spark of High-heeled Boys

And to finish off, I present a song that has been special to me for a very long time. It’s a song that has been shared with many true friends of mine in the late-nights over the years as we talked about life, death, the future, the past, our loves, our losses, our deep cuts, and shallow glazes of our lives. These things may have been spoken of in the same room from across the couch as the Sticky Fingers LP played on a turntable, or across the telephone line between many states and countries as we each played the CD track, or sending YouTube links to each other with a message.

The album is Sticky Fingers by the Rolling Stones and the last track on it is called Moonlight Mile.

When the wind blows and the rain feels cold

With a head full of snow
With a head full of snow
In the window there's a face you know
Don't the nights pass slow
Don't the nights pass slow

The sound of strangers sending nothing to my mind
Just another mad mad day on the road
I am just living to be lying by your side
But I'm just about a moonlight mile on down the road

Made a rag pile of my shiny clothes
Gonna warm my bones
Gonna warm my bones
I got silence on my radio
Let the air waves flow
Let the air waves flow

Oh I'm sleeping under strange strange skies
Just another mad mad day on the road
My dreams is fading down the railway line
I'm just about a moonlight mile down the road

I'm hiding sister and I'm dreaming
I'm riding down your moonlight mile
I'm hiding baby and I'm dreaming
I'm riding down your moonlight mile
I'm riding down you moonlight mile

Let it go now, come on up babe
Yeah, let it go now
Yeah, flow now baby
Yeah move on now yeah

Yeah, I'm coming home
'Cause, I'm just about a moonlight mile on down the road
Down the road, down the road...

Moonlight Mile - Written by Keith Richards & Mick Jagger
Rogue-Scribe Topic Starter

Today's playlist seems to be taking a bit of a different genre tack. It started off with a spoken word/song rearranged original addition mash-up reading of Edgar Alan Poe's 'The Raven' by Omnia. As I was busy working I let it go to the next song that was cue'd up, Omnia ~ Wytches Brew (live).

I then saw something on the sidebar. It is called 'Song of the Butterfly' with a collection of musical artists gathered together with Surya Sangíta Asram. It is a seventeen miniute zen meditation sort of thing with multi instruments and is really beautiful! If anybody is interested, here is more info about artists...
Estas Tonne
Pablo Arellano
Istvan Sky Kék Ég
Indrė Kuliešiūtė
Geri Dagys

After that, I took a break, then later just ran with a random playlist generated by my choices. First up was a good live duo of songs by Faun ~ Wind und Geige & Lyansa from 2007. My grasp of German is vague to nearly nil, but I do love their music, especially Elisabeth Pawlke, the singer with the hurdy-gurdy.

It seems to be a matter of two's today. It flowed into another wonderful live performance of The Pearl by Faun in 2012. Sonja Drakulich was the lead vocalist at the time and what a voice!

I then went to an old favourite as a fallback... Shireen's Unmarked. I so love this band and Annike's vocals!

I don't normally go for covers, but Lindsay Taylor's cover of Bob Dylan's Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands is quite remarkable! Sounds like Joan Baez!

I finished the day with some good old rock n roll... Alvin Lee's Goin'Home
Very ecclectic! :)

Happy New Week! monday morning and i put on the headphones at work to drown out workmates on a skype conference. First up was Working Man by Rush. Back in late 1973 a 10 watt FM school station played the album this song is on. The DJ kid got the album in Canada, and it wasn't released in the USA until early 1974. Serious power trio!

There may be a theme today. Another power trio was next. Sunshine of your Love by Cream. Love the Desrali Gears album!

Keeping with the power trio, I watched an old Beat Club TV recording of Blue Cheer doing Summertime Blues. I think 'Animal' from Sesame Street got his inspiriation from this drummer!

This led into another sixties power trio doing some heavy rock. James Gang doing 'The Bomber' is intense! Joe Walsh joining drummer Jim Fox's band in 1968 would propel them into the big time.

Fast-forward twenty+ years, and the power grunge trio Nirvana's Heart-shaped Box fills my ears. The fact I saw Nirvana play at the Central Tavern in Seattle before they were famous should have been something, but they were terrible that night. They were drunk and Kurt and Dave started fighting on stage and people were throwing stuff at them. I thought they wouldn't amount to much after that. :D

When I saw a cover of the late Larry Norman's 'Six O'Clock News' done by some friends of mine who together in the 1990's and formed a grunge band called Grammatrain. They have a couple albums out, but their cover of Six o'clock News is wonderfully done in a heavy grunge style. The song lyrics itself are a bit dated as it pertains to the vietnam war and the 'big three' television networks in the USA in the 1960's, but they still resonate war coverage in general, especially with all the places the USA and Australia are engaged in ongoing conflicts.

This got me off the power trio theme and into a folk grove as I played Larry Norman's Great American Novel. Larry wrote this in the late 1960's, but the lyrics are as much (or maybe even moreso? relevent today as it was then.

I had to drop the headphones and attend a meeting, so as my day started to wind down day with Little Wing by the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

And to finish up my day, a live Midnight Rambler by the Rolling Stones. It was their best line-up and their best albums came out in the early seventies. Thank you, and goodnight.

Mae govannen! Today was full of business at home and at work, so my playlist is rather short. It consists of the Jimi Hendrix - Acoustic Jams tapes.

Jimi Hendrix was from my hometiwn of Renton Washington and is buried in the Greenwood Cemetary there. His original grave was roughly fifty feet from where my cousin John ( 30E-052 ) rests. Jimi now rests in his own epitaph on the west side of the cemetary.

Jimy started learning how to play a right-handed guitar at fifteen, the year I was born. He got some friends together and they were called 'The Experience'.

The Experience consisted of:

Jimi Hendrix - guitar, vocals
Noel Redding - bass guitar
Mitch Mitchell - drums, percussion

Some more history of Jimi Hendrix
James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix (born Johnny Allen Hendrix; November 27, 1942 – September 18, 1970) was an American rock guitarist, singer, and songwriter. Although his mainstream career spanned only four years, he is widely regarded as one of the most influential electric guitarists in the history of popular music, and one of the most celebrated musicians of the 20th century. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame describes him as "arguably the greatest instrumentalist in the history of rock music".

Born in Seattle, Washington, Hendrix began playing guitar at the age of 15. In 1961, he enlisted in the U.S. Army and trained as a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne Division; he was granted an honorable discharge the following year. Soon afterward, he moved to Clarksville, Tennessee, and began playing gigs on the Chitlin' Circuit, earning a place in the Isley Brothers' backing band and later with Little Richard, with whom he continued to work through mid-1965. He then played with Curtis Knight and the Squires before moving to England in late 1966 after being discovered by Linda Keith, who in turn interested bassist Chas Chandler of the Animals in becoming his first manager. Within months, Hendrix had earned three UK top ten hits with the Jimi Hendrix Experience: "Hey Joe", "Purple Haze", and "The Wind Cries Mary". He achieved fame in the U.S. after his performance at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967, and in 1968 his third and final studio album, Electric Ladyland, reached number one in the U.S.; it was Hendrix's most commercially successful release and his first and only number one album. The world's highest-paid performer, he headlined the Woodstock Festival in 1969 and the Isle of Wight Festival in 1970 before his accidental death from barbiturate-related asphyxia on September 18, 1970, at the age of 27.

Hendrix was inspired musically by American rock and roll and electric blues. He favored overdriven amplifiers with high volume and gain, and was instrumental in utilizing the previously undesirable sounds caused by guitar amplifier feedback. He helped to popularize the use of a wah-wah pedal in mainstream rock, and was the first artist to use stereophonic phasing effects in music recordings. Holly George-Warren of Rolling Stone commented: "Hendrix pioneered the use of the instrument as an electronic sound source. Players before him had experimented with feedback and distortion, but Hendrix turned those effects and others into a controlled, fluid vocabulary every bit as personal as the blues with which he began."

Hendrix was the recipient of several music awards during his lifetime and posthumously. In 1967, readers of Melody Maker voted him the Pop Musician of the Year, and in 1968, Rolling Stone declared him the Performer of the Year. Disc and Music Echo honored him with the World Top Musician of 1969 and in 1970, Guitar Player named him the Rock Guitarist of the Year. The Jimi Hendrix Experience was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992 and the UK Music Hall of Fame in 2005. Rolling Stone ranked the band's three studio albums, Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold as Love, and Electric Ladyland, among the 100 greatest albums of all time, and they ranked Hendrix as the greatest guitarist and the sixth greatest artist of all time.

Going medieval today... started off with Efrén López, Meira segal, Yoni Ben-Dor - the III project - KOPANITSA
before moving even further back in time in Europe with this pagan jam called Krigsgaldr by Heilung. The stage costuming is right on, and Maria Franz's voice is quite enchanting especially accompanied with the period musical instruments. The cut into a modern dark industrial rap at the 5:15 point is cool and the lyrics are quite interesting too.

The randomizer then came up with Mariee Sioux's Wild Eyes. I remembered hearing this back when Pandora offered their service in Australia a couple years ago. Glad to find it again.

That was all I had time for this last workday of mine.

So, to being off work and not having reliable internet, my streaming has been minimal. This morning I’m using old-tech for music as I listen to Nirvana ~Unplugged on the CD player.

It was 25 years ago when Kurt Condon was found dead at his house.

Now that the dust has settled from the move, I'm getting back into the RPR groove. Nothing says 'groove' more that John Lee Hooker and Canned Heat - Boogie chillin'. I then went on to Monterey.

The other day I read this article as it popped up on my facebook feed. Later that same day, a song came up on my random playlist. The two were so interconnected, it really hit a nerve with me….

The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol by Bob Dylan

William Zanzinger killed poor Hattie Carroll
With a cane that he twirled around his diamond ring finger
At a Baltimore hotel society gathering
And the cops were called in and his weapon took from him
As they rode him in custody down to the station
And booked William Zanzinger for first-degree murder

But you who philosophize disgrace and criticize all fears
Take the rag away from your face
Now ain't the time for your tears

William Zanzinger, who at twenty-four years
Owns a tobacco farm of six hundred acres
With rich wealthy parents who provide and protect him
And high office relations in the politics of Maryland
Reacted to his deed with a shrug of his shoulders
And swear words and sneering, and his tongue it was a-snarling
In a matter of minutes, on bail was out walking

But you who philosophize disgrace and criticize fears

Hattie Carroll was a maid in the kitchen
She was fifty-one years old and gave birth to ten children
Who carried the dishes and took out the garbage
And never sat once at the head of the table
And didn't even talk to the people at the table
Who just cleaned up all the food from the table
And emptied the ashtrays on a whole other level
Got killed by a blow, lay slain by a cane
That sailed through the air and came down through the room
Doomed and determined to destroy all the gentle
And she never done nothing to William Zanzinger

And you who philosophize disgrace and criticize all fears

In the courtroom of honor, the judge pounded his gavel
To show that all's equal and that the courts are on the level
And that the strings in the books ain't pulled and persuaded
And that even the nobles get properly handled
Once that the cops have chased after and caught 'em
And that the ladder of law has no top and no bottom
Stared at the person who killed for no reason
Who just happened to be feelin' that way without warnin'
And he spoke through his cloak, most deep and distinguished
And handed out strongly, for penalty and repentance
William Zanzinger with a six-month sentence

Ah, but you who philosophize disgrace and criticize all fears
Bury the rag deep in your face
For now's the time for your tears

It was followed by another social injustice song… The Great American Novel by Larry Norman.

I was born and raised an orphan in a land that once was free
In a land that poured its love out on the moon;
And I grew up in the shadows of your silos filled with grain,
But you never helped to fill my empty spoon.

And when I was ten you murdered law with courtroom politics,
And you learned to make a lie sound just like truth;
But I know you better now and I don't fall for all your tricks,
And you've lost the one advantage of my youth.

You kill a black man at midnight just for talking to your daughter,
Then you make his wife your mistress and you leave her without water;
And the sheet you wear upon your face is the sheet your children sleep on,
At every meal you say a prayer; you don't believe but still you keep on.

And your money says in God we trust,
But it's against the law to pray in school;
You say we beat the Russians to the moon,
And I say you starved your children to do it.

You are far across the ocean but the war thats not your own,
And while you're winning theirs, you're gonna lose the one at home;
Do you really think the only way to bring about the peace
Is to sacrifice your children and kill all your enemies?

The politicians all make speeches while the news men all take note,
And they exaggerate the issues as they shove them down our throats;
Is it really up to them whether this country sinks or floats?
Well I wonder who would lead us if none of us would vote.

Well my phone is tapped and my lips are chapped from whispering through the fence,
You know every move I make, or is that just coincidence?
Well you try to make my way of life a little less like jail,
If I promise to make tapes and slides and send them through the mail.

And your money says in God we trust,
But it's against the law to pray in school;
You say we beat the Russians to the moon,
And I say you starved your children to do it.

You say all men are equal, all men are brothers,
Then why are the rich more equal than others?
Don't ask me for the answer, I've only got one:
That a man leaves his darkness when he follows the Son

My Back Pages

This song has had meaning to me ever since I first heard the original Bob Dylan recording on KRAB 107.7 FM in Seattle as a kid. The Byrds made it famous getting some AM radio airplay, and it is so cool to listen to the many varied covers that have been done of it. Lyrically, it is majestic! Here is the original and a few different covers ranging from deep contry to punk rock....

Bob Dylan ~ The Original
The Byrds ~ Who made the song famous
Georgia Whiting ~ Modern folk country rock
Margot Cotton ~ Taking it Country
The Ramones ~ Punk Rocking it

And the lyrics...

Crimson flames tied through my ears, rollin' high and mighty traps
Pounced with fire on flaming roads using ideas as my maps
"We'll meet on edges, soon, " said I, proud 'neath heated brow
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now

Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth, "rip down all hate, " I screamed
Lies that life is black and white spoke from my skull, I dreamed
Romantic facts of musketeers foundationed deep, somehow

Girls' faces formed the forward path from phony jealousy
To memorizing politics of ancient history
Flung down by corpse evangelists, unthought of, though somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now

A self-ordained professor's tongue too serious to fool
Spouted out that liberty is just equality in school
"Equality, " I spoke the word as if a wedding vow

In a soldier's stance, I aimed my hand at the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not that I'd become my enemy in the instant that I preach
My existence led by confusion boats, mutiny from stern to bow

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms quite clear, no doubt, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then I'm younger than that now.

-Bob Dylan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited to add the Bod Dylan 30th Anniversary concert performance of 1992. What a gathering of musicians! Joining Bob Dylan is George Harrison (RIP), Eric Clapton, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty (RIP), Neil Young... all bringing their style to a verse of the song.

It's been a Yardbirds sort of morning....

Still I'm Sad ~ The lyrics to this are indeed sad and quite haunting with the Gregorian chant. First heard this song as a kid when I was listening to late-night FM radio. KOL 94.1 in Seattle I loved you for expanding my musical mind beyond my big sis's choices in music!

See the stars come falling down from the sky,
Gently passing, they kiss your tears when you cry.
See the wind come softly blow your hair from your face,
See the rain hide away in disgrace.

Still I'm sad.

For myself my tears just fall into dust,
Day will dry them, night will find they are lost.
Now I find the wind is blowing time into my heart,
Let the rain fall, for we are apart.

How I'm sad,
How I'm sad,
Oh, How I'm sad.
Songwriters: James Stanley Mc Carty / Paul Samwell-Smith

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And following that.... Turn Into Earth ~ Another etheral song done by the band who would eventually morph into Led Zeppelin.

How your restless hungry eyes
Speak of cloudy summer skies
The morning dew, turns into rain
Lonely winds will call my name

Dying leaves of seasons brown
Losing life as they drift down
Too soon in life, return to earth
Only they can know their worth

Distant dreams of things to be
Wandering thoughts that can't be free
I feel my mind turning away
To the darkness of my day

Songwriters: Paul Samwell-Smith / Rosemary Samwell-Smith

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Been into Jefferson Airplane of late due to an RP one of my characters is in...

House at Pooneil Corners

The Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil

And also those songs that have to be played back-to-back because I had the albums back in the day and the world just isn't right if one song is played without the other....

The Cars ~ Moving in Stereo & All Mixed Up

Led Zeppelin ~ Heartbreaker & Living Loving Maid

I came to know Molly Rodgers on a Tolkien website where I used to RP. She was pursuing a musical carreer as a teenager, and she has excelled in that dream! Here are some of her performances ... starting with Hans Zimmer ...

Molly Rodgers - You Only Live Twice.

Here is Molly in the band Orchid Quartet...
Orchid Quartet - Walking Nightmare

Here is Molly in a folk band called Wise Cub. This club gig was in zoos Angeles in 2012. It was a beginning of a live story as Molly and Scott, the singer/guitarist, got married a couple years ago.

Thank you Molly for blessing us with your music and singing talent!

In my reflections and recollections of September 11 2001, I remember the patriotic fervor that swept the country and I was among them. At the time I didn't know it was the beginning of an endless war. Later I realized it was a continuing war dating back to the crusades.

I'm watching the one and only season of Over There and listening to the theme song....

The day is coming
Drums are drumming
If you know one say a prayer
There's Mothers crying
Father's sighing
War is in the air

Trains filling up with boys
Who have left behind their favorite toys
They're going over there
Over there
Someone has to die

Over there (Over there)
Over there (Over there)
It's not our job to reason why
Over there (Over there)
Over there (Over there)
Oh, someone has to die

And with that, the door closes. Have a nice day. :)

I’m celebrating!!! :D

Nothing like an old Teutonic drinking song to celebrate the return of a dear writing partner to these hallowed halls of rp and renewing our RP shifting time to a few years later!

I have to say I'm in love with Lady Morte! The revised band lineup is solid! Going to be listening to them all day I think.

Trobar de Morte ~ Idunn

trobarwitch.jpg

Been listening to a lot of Grateful Dead today. I remember when Jerry Garcia passed away in the nineties and it was a similar playlist. Rest In Peace Robert Hunter.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Soundtrack from the Underground

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus