Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » (Closed) The End is Nigh

Rook (played by Juls)

"Hobo!" Rook exclaimed in relief as she and Osbert reached the ship and she saw her trusty steed tied nearby. She went up to horse, giving him an affectionate rub on the nose. "What have I told you about going off with strangers," she scolded lightly, as if the horse could understand her. "Thank you, sir," she told Osbert. "For keeping him safe. Now I must hurry back and aid the search for survivors." She still held out hope her childhood friend would not be found dead under the rubble, still not knowing the news the other woman had shared with Arnold with her dying breaths.

Though just as she was about to leave, she heard a bark from somewhere aboard the ship. "Is it your dog, sir?" she asked Osbert. "Na, lass, just a mongrel found sniffing 'round the ruins," he answered.

Rook cupped her hands around her mouth and made several noises that sounded very much like a dog bark. Normally, she would not have let her ability on display in front of others, but she felt like every moment wasted was one closer to losing Leo forever. The dog answered, coming running along the plank set up between the ship and the dock, tail wagging excitedly, barking excitedly at her. "I need to borrow him for a bit, please," she said, giving the skinny beast a few bites of the dried jerky that had been stored in her saddle bag. Then mounted up and hurried back toward the jail, the dog following behind.
Illumia (played by Arcol)

“I’m sorry,” she whispered, “there was nothing I could do; Merid-Nunda forbade me anything more than I had done.”

“It’s alright, Drelasa,” Arun-Ja comforted her, “you did what you could, and that’s all you were able. May her journey to Aitherius be peaceful and swift.”
Pentre stood upright and furious

"How dare that woman take my captive without a warrant. I am the executioner here... no one kills my prisoners without my say so" growled.Centre enraged turning to Toyle and dropping a knee to ground

"Your lordship, I demand permission to recruit warriors and retrieve the stolen prisoner, in the name of the king and yourd" petitioned Pentre highly offended and seeing the witch woman as an unwanted competition, feeling robbed of the ranger

Toyle paused a little baffled at the clearly reckless move but yielded all the same

"Very well... Try not to get yourself killed, Sir Pentre, or get him killed. The trial was far from over, we are missing his defence" noted Toyle looking back at the mountain with a grimaced face

Sir Arnold rose to his feet

"I wish to come, sir knight" offered right away getting a nod of approval

"I wouldn't expect any less off you, sir Arnold, so long you follow MY orders instead of your moral compass" accepted Pentre looking at Aria

"Captain, we need a skilled warrior with your hidden talents.... Care to join in for the hunt?" informed Pentre looking at her
Reader (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Aria looked over, her demeanor seemingly lightened up a little from when she had sit down. "Of course! I can't have you two dying without me!" She said happily. "Plus, I haven't eaten for while. Maybe we'll find some game along the way?" She asks, still wiping off some blood from her garments and sabatons.

As the day progresses, the ocean starts to become rough. And the clouds in the sky are starting to turn grey. Rook was right. It's going to rain or downpour of some kind sooner or later.
Pentre looked on at Rook pausing thoughtfully. This was not the ranger he wanted, of course, but perhaps the witch might trade. If she merely sought a victim why would she care which one to kill, given they were both rangers.

When Rook arrived, Pentre sported an unusually warm and welcoming smile with an evil glint, a look of a hawk as it eyes its prey.

"Ranger... I am heading to that mountain to get your missing companion back from the sorceress claws and dispatch the witch.
with his lordship's blessings, in the name of the king, care to join under my command to retrieve your brother in arms? Or would you rather cowardly sail to safety?" Quizzed Pentre phrasing the invitation so as to coerce an acceptance
Rook (played by Juls)

She was halfway off the horse, one foot still in the stirrup, when Pentre approached her with his proposal.

"The sorceress has him?" her mouth gaped open at the news as she jumped the rest of the way down and turned her face toward Hobo for a moment.

Recovering from the initial shock, she narrowed her eyes at the man as she looked back at him. "Under your command, Pentre?" He'd already told her he planned to execute the ranger "Nay, lord, the Rangers of Blackmarsh do not fall under your jurisdiction and I will not play your henchmen in this affair," she practically spat at him, already climbing back atop the horse, intending to simply go herself, her anger at both Pentre and the sorceress making her act rashly. She just needed to get there before the knight did...
Arun-Ja (played by Arcol)

“Wait, did she say Black Marsh,” Arun-Ja asked, “as in my home of Black Marsh?”

“Most likely not, my friend,” Dresala replied, “another land, perhaps, but not yours.”

“Ah,” he sighed, “I see. Well, the work continues.” They both returned to studying the runes, certain that they held some clue as to how to defeat the sorceress.
Lord knight Pentre looked at her steady

"I am in need of your skill to find the path and track them down quicker, besides, there is strength in numbers, a far greater chance of survival for all if we go as one, being many.

"Rangers do fall under my jurisdiction if they commit crimes, as your friend has, your cooperation of course might spare the man's life when he is returned into my custody. Would it not be worth the effort?" Quizzed Tron the Terrible

"We can show mercy, like grant a quick painless death, even a lesser sentence altogether or we can make his execution agonizingly slow and painful torture which I..." Trailed off Pentre gazing at Aria " ... Which we excel at... " assured Tron

"Think wisely then give me an answer we are leaving within the hour and there won't be a second chance" assured Pentre turning to Arun-ja

"I need a sorcerer to fight fire, with fire and a healer to ensure a better survival" requested Pentre looking at the two travellers
Rook (played by Juls)

"Might spare his life?" Rook shot back. She did not believe that Pentre would even entertain the notion, something he seemed to confirm in the very next breath as he spoke of a quick death versus an agonizing one.

Her hands tightened on the reins, Hobo dancing in place slightly as he felt his rider's tension. Behind them, the mongrel dog growled slightly at Pentre. Rook agreed. But, really, what chance did she stand alone against the witch? "I will aid you, lord, if you would agree to release him into the custody of the Blackmarsh Rangers for his trial. You or a witness of your choosing may be present," she countered his proposal.
"If I have offended you, please know it was unintentional and I meant no offense! I greatly apologize," Ruslan expressed with a bow of his head, "however, I wish you not speak to me as if I too have not suffered through these tragedies on which you have explained. I know I may seem to be no more than a lowly and unexperienced swordsman, but I have seen my fair share of darkness. Too much in fact.."

This said, Ruslan turned his attention to the returning Rook and smiled, realizing her horse had been reunited with its master. He then wandered to a fallen piece of building, men following and took a seat. Soon enough, his pipe was back in his lips and he inattentively listened to the others ramble about witches, runes, and jurisdictions. Only when this "lord" Pentre questioned him did Ruslan become aware.

"You seek to command me, so un-noblest of lords," Ruslan teased with a laugh, which was followed by his four sailors, "I have a ship to return too yet flee I do not. I only wish to get out of this coming storm, just as you all should as well. Unlike you, I'm being wise and seeking shelter rather than heading straight towards its origin. And I should strongly note, I am no sorcerer."

“I suppose I could be of use,” he agreed, “we’ll follow behind, but to see what is to come of this, rather than interfering directly unless needed.”
Pentre looked at Rook, seemed she was a good negotiator

"You will be allowed to bear witness at his trial and defend his good character and better intentions, if there were any. You may also plead mercy when the time comes. The trial shall be held in Vallan for the crime happened in Vallan, against our Vallan citizens. The law of the lands apply to all who venture here" explained Pentre

"I swear mercy will be shown in line with your assistance, compliance and services in recovering him and defeating her, you have my word" promised Pentre causing Arn to raise an eyebrow

"Once the witch is defeated and your good services rendered we may yet hand him over to your guild, should you prove trustworthy enough. At present, our laws stand" explained Tron

"Let us march at once and delay no further for all we know he may have already perished or is about to... Hell knows no fury like that of a woman scorned and your ranger somehow interfered in her plans and foiled her deeds"" insisted Pentre passing on the information received from the dying woman
Rook (played by Juls)

"He's not even had a trial here yet?!" she said, further shocked at the knight's abuse of power. "And yet he was to be hung... this very morning?!"

"Your law, sir, seems to be subject to your whim to bend how you see fit," she said, voice full of scorn and a shake of her head. "Tron the Terrible, indeed and the shame of Vallan! It will be you, sir, who seek mercy before this is said and done."

Her eyes went briefly to Ruslan in some silent plea for backup, at least he'd called Pentre un-noble. So she thought perhaps he saw things as she did. But the man seemed set on returning to his ship and not aiding in this venture against the witch. Not that she could blame him. If it wasn't for Leo, she might be running as far away from the witch as she could.

And with that, she turned Hobo toward the broken gate and started toward the mountain, the dog trotting behind. If the rest followed, fine. If not, well, that was fine too.
Pentre looked at the rest of the group, disregarding Rook's comment, well used to foreigners trying to trample the law when it came to magic and sorcery

"When we return those who come will be rewarded in either gold or lands... We need as many men at arms as we can get but we must make haste, the storm is growing and the sun will set soon" urged Pentre looking at Aria and Arnold before starting to march

Arnold secured the shield on his back, sheathed his sword and followed Pentre who also left through the broken gates to follow the trail that lead to the mountain peek
Ruslan watched from his place on the stone as most, of not all, the group departed. For at the time being, he sought only to survive the storm and felt as if the rest were foolishly throwing away their lives. But the more he pondered it, the more guilty he felt.

“Men,” He said aloud once the group was truly alone, “I think it best we uh... return to the ship and get out of here before that storm hits.”

With that, his sailors and he began to return to the port with some haste, however with each step Ruslan took, the more he longed to turn back and follow them.

Why do I feel this great need to join them? They’re strangers to me and nothing more. Yet they’re going... on an adventure.. and.. no no they’re only strangers! And they’re going to die! Fools..

He continued walking, the docks now coming into view with a heap of loot/junk piled just before the ship. Atop this mound stood a quite proud Leofric who was shouting commands at each of his men.

“Friends,” Ruslan anounced, turning to his four sailors, “return to the ship and notify Leofric that I will not be coming with him. Tell him I wish to stay here and that if he wishes to depart to make haste. Tell him that I thank him for the journey and tell him I say fairwell.”

“Lord Ruslan, are you-“ one of them began.

“Yes. Go! Now!”

With that, Ruslan pushed the sailor who had spoke forward urging them to leave and watched as they hurried back towards their captain. He gave a loud sigh of relief as they departed and just as Ruslan was about to turn around, he locked eyes with a distant Leofric, who gave a final fairwell with a stiff nod.

Before Ruslan new it, his feet took off without command and he ran back towards the company of strangers, calling for them to wait as he did. A massive smile spread across his face for he was about to embark on an adventure once again.
Reader (played anonymously) Topic Starter

"Alrighty, let's go then!" said Aria hopping off her ruinous seat and walking along with Pentre and Arn. As the groups departed, hidden bones cracked and split underneath their feet as they passed under the partially burned gate. A grim reminder of how seemingly ruthless this witch was. Until they came into view of the mountain once again.

But... wait. Those clouds, they now look like many screaming and morphing faces as they swirl around the mountain's peak! What diabolic magic could this be? A loud, thunderous crack, louder than all the others, could be heard as the red lightning started branching away from the clouds themselves. Frequently hitting the peak and other places near the mountain's base, with each strike echoing with thunder.

This continued happening until the clouds quickly turned red with light, and nothing could be seen but the bright shine emanating from it. And then, what sounds like a choir full of unnatural and human voices, proclaim something from the mountain's direction, all speaking in unison. "The mass sacrifice has sufficed. The ritual will be complete in seven days." And just like that, the clouds return back to normal around the mountain's peak, and the red lightning can no longer be seen.
Pentre frowned at the voices, weary of the doom they foretold which increased the urgency

"Seven days is enough time to make it there and stop this madness, if we don't delay, just keep up the pace because rangers tend to be fast footed" urged Pentre trying to not loose track of Rook

He looked back to see Ruslan catching up to them and nodded briefly to acknowledge him before hurrying ahead
Rook (played by Juls)

Rook brought Hobo to an abrupt halt as the unnatural light washed over ranger, horse, and dog, casting them in a red glow. Fear fluttered through her chest over witnessing the display of the witch's power and Hobo snorted and reared in fright at the terrible lightening and thunder that split the sky and seemed to shake the very earth, as if the whole island would sunder apart. The dog whined and tucked his tail.

"Easy, it shall pass," Rook urged them both, leaning forward and giving the horse his head until his feet returned to the ground. Having the animals to keep calm somehow made her better able to keep control of herself and push down her own fear.

And once it passed and her heart rate returned to normal, she takes time to inspect the ground, looking to see if the witch's army has left a trail upon the land. Did they walk here? Or travel via some kind of magical means?

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 9. After the modifier of +4, got 13
Hunting/Tracking

“Well, that’s not good,” he observed, Dresala by his side, “I suppose seven days is a good amount of time, but we will have to move quickly if we don’t want any unnecessary inconveniences.”

“I shall send a beacon of Merid-Nunda ahead of us,” Dresala offered, “it will find the challenges ahead of us and inform us of them before the time to face them; it won’t tell us how to overcome, but it will give the information we need if we desire to stay alive.” She cast a small spell, a ball of bright light the result of it. She whispered in Ayleidoon to it, then sent it ahead of the group to light the way.
Toyle looked horrified at the scenery, shuddering at the faces and unnatural voices. He was alarmed at hearing of such a short deadline and turned to look at Sir Arnold with a clearly shaken look, face pale and ashen at what he has just seen and heard

"There it is, Sir Arnold, the living proof that gives Sir Pentre a perfect justification and full backing of the law as to why magic is and must remained outlawed and those who practice it must be heavily persecuted.

My cousin was right all along, lower your guard and they destroy everything. Give them one safe haven and they covet the whole kingdom" muttered Toyle in a bitter tone looking back at the ruined city and up ahead at the cursed clouds

Then he marched further ahead to address Pentre who seemed to speak with Aria or about to

"You have disappointed me, cousin, see this mess? All this death and destruction? It is proof you were not harsh enough in your methods, despite your reputation, Sir Pentre

You left her at the mountains, alive and undisturbed, now she threatens all of us, the whole island. Had you hunted down the witch sooner and all those who touch magic... the villagers would still be alive and Vallan city standing tall and mighty" scolded Toyle

"Make a better effort at cleansing the lands from sorcery and magic and do a better job at bringing sorcerers and magic users under your control. If needs be, eliminate them. Better one mage perishes than whole cities at a time" demanded Toyle getting closer to Aria as the lighting and thunder struck down

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » (Closed) The End is Nigh

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus