Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Pronunciation

I think it would be helpful for some characters if the quick start wizard for page creation had a bar for pronunciation of character names. I don't know if anyone else would find this helpful, but I always pronounce a character name in my head and that's who they are to me every time I read it... and it sucks to find out that's not how its pronounced by their player!
I just put my pronunciation in the text box. Since there's no other way. xD
That'd be interesting and neat, although I'm not totally sure how useful it would be. Or how it would work/what it would look like.

I just do what Celestina does for now-- type down stuff in a textbox.
Sanne Moderator

Isn't that what f0x is referring to?

It sounds to me like you guys think there will be a sound file or something... :P But that's not the suggestion. f0x is suggesting to have an extra text box in the quick start wizard, i.e. a default textbox for pronunciation.

It would look something like this:

Name: Sanne
Pronunciation: SAHN-nə (bth)

Etc. So that lazy people like me have to go through less effort to move the extra textbox into the right position. :3
f0x1nth3b0x Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:

It sounds to me like you guys think there will be a sound file or something... :P But that's not the suggestion. f0x is suggesting to have an extra text box in the quick start wizard, i.e. a default textbox for pronunciation.

Etc. So that lazy people like me have to go through less effort to move the extra textbox into the right position. :3

This is exactly what I was saying, but better. lol
No, that's what I meant as well, Sanne. It just didn't come out that way I guess. xD

Like for example: Zalia. I always said it as "zah-lee-uh" in my head. But you mentioned once that azalias were her namesake; so I rethought it and is it pronounce "zay-lee-uh" then?
Kim Site Admin

This wouldn't be terribly difficult to do, if it's desired by the general community.

I worry that just having a box labelled "Pronunciation" may confuse some people. Is there a way to make it more clear we're talking about the character's name and not the way they talk, without adding a lot of text?
f0x1nth3b0x wrote:
Like for example: Zalia. I always said it as "zah-lee-uh" in my head. But you mentioned once that azalias were her namesake; so I rethought it and is it pronounce "zay-lee-uh" then?

No, you're right the first time. Technically it SHOULD be the second, since azalias are her namesake. But whenever I read/say/think her name myself I think "zah-lee-uh"
Sanne wrote:

Nah, nah, I wasn't thinking of a sound file-- what you put though is sort of what came to mind, actually.

Kim wrote:
This wouldn't be terribly difficult to do, if it's desired by the general community.

I worry that just having a box labelled "Pronunciation" may confuse some people. Is there a way to make it more clear we're talking about the character's name and not the way they talk, without adding a lot of text?

Uh, I don't know besides saying "Name Pronunciation" haha
Sanne Moderator

Kim wrote:

If you follow the pronunciation textbox up to the regular name textbox, then that is a direct link. I would assume it's for the name itself since that comes first, there's nothing else to pronounce before that.

I can see the difficulty in that when the info is automatically added (name/player/gender) though..
Kim Site Admin

The thing is that by the time you get to the quick start wizard, it isn't asking you for the character's name anymore, so it's not going to be underneath anything.

We can try just titling it "Name pronunciation" like Foxy said, though. :)

See, I came to this thought because of my character Pixy. It's not pronounced like pixie; it's peeksy. But a friend of mine named the character a million years ago when our brains were wee.
SeraphicStar

Yeah, this might be a good feature, I think.

Since usually I don't get to hear people actually SAY my character names out loud, pronunciation is actually not much of a problem to me. But my character's names are actually all pronounced with my weird language's accent. So have fun gurgling those 'R's!

I also once had a conversation that went a wee bit like this...

Me: "And then Teevahl..."
Them: "Who?"
Me: "Teevahl."
Them: "Teevahl?"
Me: "Teevahl."
Them: "Do you mean Taival?"
Me: "Yes, Teevahl."
Them: "I thought it was pronounced Taival."
Me: "It's Teevahl."
Them: "Taival sounds better."

I thought it was Taival as well! /failure at other peoples characters.
SeraphicStar

Well, in your defense, I think I'm the only one who reads his name and thinks "Teevahl".

Also, please tell me it's "Eelo" and not "Ylo". Or else I'll feel fail too.

EDIT: Yes, as you all can see, this is a feature that we desperately need.

It's Eye-low. :P But I think our thing is a language difference, since you're from mystery!country and I am not.

Me thinks we need this added XD

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Pronunciation

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus