Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2019 » Turtle symbol discussion (SOLVED)

Ben Moderator

Good tries! We shall have to keep thinking.
Ben Moderator

Death did once join the beggars under the alias of "Mr Scrub" but that didn't work either...
Lady Ysabell, dutchess of Sto Helit loves pink. But I think it's referencing a disguise or pink-like name such as rose.
Ben Moderator

Yeah, and there's the whole namesake of a legend thing... Not sure what that could be.
Golden Turtle God, Kim Qui?
Ben Moderator

Gaspode once went by the alias "Deep Bone" when he was talking to the Ankh Morpork Times. That did not work either
Do I don't know discworld, but.

Does the dog have an (slightly pink) alias? And have you tried like Ron/aliases related to his name?
Something only used one time, perhaps discarded.

I looked in as many places as I could find, but I didn't find anything that hadn't already been brought up.
Okay, could there be anything like the Heaven’s Will Sword? That turtle is called Hoan Kiem, and it is a giant turtle.
Ben Moderator

The turtle in Discworld is called Great A'Tuin, and it's very unlikely to be the answer to the riddle, because the turtle symbol is just representative of the general theme/property. We're better looking at the clues.
Dragonfire Moderator

It's definitely referring to Gaspode in some way; Gaspode's namesake is 'The Famous Gaspode', who did one of those 'dog howling at grave of master' things at some point in Ankh-Morpork.

So an alias of Gaspode, which is not Deep Bone, I suppose!
With the idea of the obelisk, I instantly think of Egyptian mythology (Don't really know anything else I can contribute). I don't know if there is a turtle-headed god, but I DO know that Anubis,the god of funerals, is a jackal-headed god. I kinda only went off of Dragonfire's previous comment. I don't know if there's something about Anubis in Discworld, but I believe that there is a chance that it will help.
I heard that Gaspode was named after the Greyfriars Bobby but there is a similar dog in Japan represented pink on the buses called Hachiko.
Dragonfire Moderator

The obelisks are only related as far as the overall site plot goes, Nightmare, and are very unlikely to have anything to do with the answers for any particular symbol. :) The clues to the Turtle Symbol are all listed at the start of the topic, and all seem to point towards something to do with the Discworld, and Gaspode the Wonder Dog in particular.
Ah, after looking over the clues, I have deduced that Anubis probably isn't the answer. Well, I tried.
Could there be a more specific reference to the Men at Arms book?
i dont think i'll be much help with any f these riddles :/
Ilmarinen Moderator

DorianM wrote:
I heard that Gaspode was named after the Greyfriars Bobby but there is a similar dog in Japan represented pink on the buses called Hachiko.

Have you tried Hachiko yet?
Ben Moderator

Well let's see, if we're talking about Gaspode and going with that theory, he appears in, if I recall correctly;

Moving Pictures
Men at Arms
The Fifth Elephant
The Truth

and he has some cameos in a few other books. The only "alias" I could think of was Deep Bone. But I could be missing something....
Yes, tried it already! But not with accents or variations. Besides, all the clues should point to one answer and I keep thinking of a sword since in Men at Arms there is also an Excalibur reference.
And goblins are blocking me as I try Kring. But that may work since Krang is the pink brain. 😂

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2019 » Turtle symbol discussion (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus