Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2019 » Book symbol discussion (SOLVED)

Hades_

Round Table is also a reference to King Arthur and his knights. It could have something to do with that.
Was King Arthur non-fiction?
I read the clues as a manuscript which was published after 15 years, by a humorist and which it related in some way to Arthur and his Knights or one of them. However, it says non-fiction, so it must be a historical book?
Alternatively, someone try The Lost Algonquin Round Table.

My list from that:

Algonquin Round Table
Dorothy Parker
Enough Rope
Robert Charles Benchley
Robert Benchley
The Vicious Circle
Vicious Circle
LastOfMyKind wrote:
Was King Arthur non-fiction?

Historia Regum Britanniae

Historical book that talks about the early kings of Britain

King Arthur appears written as : Artorius ( Lucius Artorius Castus ) a Roman commander who became king of Britain

Also book below

Historia Brittonum mentions Arthur

He is the designer/creator of the Round Table but none of the other 2 clues seem to relate besides the mention of Round Table
Dragonfire Moderator

Aah, I meant that it could have been something published posthumously - I mean, anything locked in a drawer for fifteen years has that chance. Or it could be a manuscript that the author set down to later release, or just a book that was forgotten about until someone unlocked their drawer. Either way.

A book or manuscript was untouched for fifteen years! And then something happened.
There's some evidence that Arthur was real, though I believe historians suspect the 'round table' may have been more of an amphitheatre, so it is perfectly reasonable to suppose that's the reference we're going for.
Actually, if I recall correctly, Arthur himself was purportedly fifteen when he became king by some of the stories, so perhaps he's the answer? I don't know how that would work with the third clue, though.
Hades_

The sickest of burns may not have to do with specifically dissing someone either. It could be more literal and talk about actual burns.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Who solved it? :D
I think I did, it was Dorothy Parker.

Beautiful work!

For others wondering how the clues relate:

Dorothy Parker's ashes were unclaimed and remained in her lawyer's filing cabinet for 15 years
She was well-known for witty "burns" and sarcastic short stories and poetry
Dorthy Parker was a member of a club called The Algonquin Round Table. From Wikipedia: The Algonquin Round Table was a group of New York City writers, critics, actors, and wits. Gathering initially as part of a practical joke, members of "The Vicious Circle", as they dubbed themselves, met for lunch each day at the Algonquin Hotel from 1919 until roughly 1929. At these luncheons they engaged in wisecracks, wordplay, and witticisms that, through the newspaper columns of Round Table members, were disseminated across the country.
Dragonfire Moderator

Nicely done!

And... oh. It was her actual ashes that spent fifteen years in a filing cabinet. Yikes!

Dragonfire wrote:
Nicely done!

And... oh. It was her actual ashes that spent fifteen years in a filing cabinet. Yikes!

Don't worry, the NAACP eventually claimed them and built her a memorial garden. :)

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2019 » Book symbol discussion (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus