Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Writing Styles Survey

Quote:
Do you feel most satisfied and/or inspired by paragraph-style or shorter-length posts? Do you tend to match the length and the frequency of posts?

Paragraph style for the most part, although I do strive to maintain a degree of flexibility according to both my role-playing partner(s) and what is going on IC at the time. Some posts will require less, some will require more.

Quote:
2. Do you have genres that you enjoy most and tend to write over and over, or are you more of a multi-genre writer? Are there any particular shades to a genre that you enjoy?

Multi-genre to an extent. I usually combine both high and low fantasy with history, action or horror, or multiple intersections thereof.

Quote:
Have you been ghosted since the start of the year?

Not really? I don't consider it ghosting when there is an agreement to pick things up again. I also don't consider it to be ghosting when the person is absent for weeks/months and then comes back later and apologises. Real life happens and I am always acutely aware of the fact that inspirations come and go.

Quote:
Do you mind or prefer writing with anonymous characters?

I don't mind role-playing with anonymous characters. I also play one or two myself. I see absolutely no problem with it.

Quote:
Do you have more than 10 characters?

Actively, no. Squirrelled away in my mind in various stages of creation, definitely.

Quote:
Do you like to plot OOC or improvise and surprise your partner with each post?

A little bit of both. I don't mind plots to the effect of 'Let's go treasure hunting' but I avoid role-players where there is a 100% 'this is going to happen' ending. Goals are nice but so is fluidity depending on how the characters interact. I also enjoy dice rolling to add in elements of randomisation - for example, how many enemies there are, what sort of treasure they found etc.

Quote:
Which do you enjoy writing in most, Forums, groups or PMs?

PMs or Discord.

Quote:
Is writing more of a hobby or a passion or something else?

Role-playing is a hobby, as is writing. I am a freelance proof-reader, copy-editor and ghost/copywriter so there is some degree of intersection.

Quote:
How would you describe your writing style?

X
My answers
1. Do you feel most satisfied and/or inspired by paragraph-style or shorter-length posts? Do you tend to match the length and the frequency of posts?

I'm most satisfied by paragraph style posts as the extra description helps me get a much better idea of what all is happening and a much better feel for the characters involved. I try to match as much as I can, but I'm prone to going overboard when I'm motivated enough. Usually adjustable length is best for me. Too much fluff can equally put me off. I care more about the content than length.

2. Do you have genres that you enjoy most and tend to write over and over, or are you more of a multi-genre writer?
Are there any particular shades to a genre that you enjoy?

Dark fantasy, high fantasy, and sci-fi by far. Genre blends are also a lot of fun for me and I like routinely stepping out of my comfort zone as a writer, but most partners I get fall in those three categories.

3. Have you been ghosted since the start of the year?

Multiple times across multiple sites, unfortunately. It's still hard not to take it personally after all the time I've been rping but I usually chalk it up to mismatch of styles or personalities. I always hope I'm not scaring people off though, always a back of the mind fear that I'm putting people off since I like to try to make friends with partners ooc, but I've found it's rarely personal. It is always frustrating though.
I largely write with close friends and often have long term settings going on, but I like to branch out every now and then. It's.. not always a good experience.

4. Do you mind or prefer writing with anonymous characters?

I've found it a bit weird. This is the first site I've seen it on, but I don't think the idea's too bad. That being said, I'd still greatly prefer knowing my rp partner(s) on some basis.

5. Do you have more than 10 characters?

....I plead the fifth. I definitely don't have over 100.. and a character hoarding problem, eheh. I just get attached, okay?

6. Do you like to plot OOC or improvise and surprise your partner with each post?

Either or, usually both. I like the suspense of surprising a partner, but not everyone does well with them and not everything should be a surprise and I like leaving some things up in the air to keep up some excitement. I love discussing plots for sure though. Get me started on ideas and I'll talk for hours on random hypothetical situations.

7. Which do you enjoy writing in most, Forums, groups or PMs?

I usually rp in groups or private messages. I've not done any forum rp here yet but it's a thing I will do on occasion on other sites. Discord's more my primary home for rp and I tend to organize most things in servers.

8. Is writing more of a hobby or a passion or something else?

I think for me writing originally just started as a hobby, but became a passion over time. It also has helped me meet a lot of new people and otherwise cope with poor mental health and life trauma in a pretty low pressure fashion. I tried writing a novel on two separate attempts, got halfway done with them, and dumped them since I had hated what I wrote. I really thrive off the collaborative part of rp socially and creatively. Writing solo just isn't the same for me.

9. How would you describe your writing style? a mess

But hard to say, really. I usually write paragraph/novella style, generally adjustable length because my brain is mush sometimes and I can't always do super long posts to mundane things.
Most of my writing is very character driven and generally lighthearted, funny, and packed with drama and suspense. I do have a soft spot for darker, emotional, and action-driven stuff, but that's not always everyone's cup of tea, so it can really depend on the genre at hand. Dialogue's my jam and I love writing it above all else. I struggle a bit with descriptions of environments since it's impossible to get a clear idea of one in my head without sketching something out, but I've been working on it. I usually try to keep my posts at an average reading level, just because I don't exactly enjoy pulling out a thesaurus every time I type one. It can really depend on the character I'm using as some are much more flowery than others and the vocabulary used with a character I've found can often cue much of their character to the reader, even without spoken dialogue.
Oh! What a fun way to get the ol' creative juices flowing. It's also beneficial to know more about oneself and can be helpful to others as well!

Questions are creative acts of intelligence!

1. Do you feel most satisfied and/or inspired by paragraph-style or shorter-length posts? Do you tend to match the length and the frequency of posts?

I am extremely versatile, but when the muse's magic is flowing and I am motivated to write, I can almost slip into a novella style. Though, for the most part, I tend more toward paragraphs. I am, however, flexible and oftentimes will match that of my writing partners.

I can even settle for quickfire one-liners under the right circumstances. Honestly, it's a matter of matching pace with that of the roleplay and our shared interests.

I'm, I guess, somewhat impressionable as well. If I see someone knocking it out of the park with a mere few sentences, I will happily fall in line, but on the other hand, if someone is displaying their eloquence in a heap of paragraphs, I will admire the technique and attempt to follow suit.

2. Do you have genres that you enjoy most and tend to write over and over, or are you more of a multi-genre writer? Are there any particular shades to a genre that you enjoy?

Oh goodness, this is a rather difficult one. I'd almost do better at stating what genres I wouldn't write for, and even then it would be because of a lack of knowledge on my part and not necessarily a dislike for said genre. I am rather eclectic and would like to think I could just about slip into anything if I am mentally prepared for it.

However, I typically find myself in a slice-of-life genre where it is focused mostly around a present-day setting. I tend to steer clear of magical or fantastical premises. I don't feel I'm up to par in those particular settings and favor those genres in which the human aspect is the focal point. It's a truly challenging and highly rewarding experience if done right, in my humblest of opinions.

3. Have you been ghosted since the start of the year?

Oh yes, most definitely. What I find to be somewhat ironic about it is that it has all been done by people who've approached me for roleplay. I'm typically a very shy sort and will go without due to my own lack of confidence in approaching people, so if I'm ghosted, I tend to let it be what it is and assume that our collaboration is over. I will simply move on and say nothing more on the matter.

4. Do you mind or prefer writing with anonymous characters?

I do not care one way or another. Writing with like-minded people who are just looking to escape as much as I am is all that matters. They have their reasons and I am not here to judge them for it. I even have a few anonymous characters myself, but I'm far too reticent to bring some of those idjits to light.

Though a lack of information is a little off-putting, so I prefer to interact with those that have a decently legit profile.

5. Do you have more than 10 characters?

Hah hah, yes, and they are all over the map. I am a mutli-fandom roleplayer with a focus on canon characters, and I am a humongous mess.

6. Do you like to plot OOC or improvise and surprise your partner with each post?

Oh heck, I am versatile here as well. Sometimes you have to submit yourself to utter chaos, and I can't say no to the occasional bout of shenanigans. However, other times when there is a serious plot brewing, I will raptly attend to the continuity with my partner(s) so we can keep each other on track and plan everything accordingly. In the long run, I think I'm just grateful for any and all opportunities to interact with my fellow writers.

7. Which do you enjoy writing in most, Forums, groups or PMs?

I feel like all of my answers are starting to sound like a broken record. I literally keep talking about how flexible I feel like I am which also happens to apply here as well. The only time I have any problem with writing is when it's live like on Discord or in a chat room. I am so incredibly busy so I need time to sit back and put myself into the mood and mind of my characters. Live writing feels forced so I feel as though I don't produce the kind of quality work or responses that I know I am capable of.

If I had to pick a favorite, however, it would probably have to be forums. I enjoy getting to see everyone's work and in return share my own with others.

8. Is writing more of a hobby or a passion or something else?

Writing for me is stronger than a hobby, perhaps even a passion. Perhaps? I truly love it, but something such as a bad day can cause it to wane drastically. I don't know how to define it, but it can easily become a saving grace for my mental state or can have such an effect on me that it changes my entire demeanor. No matter what it might be to me, I am thankful to have it in my life.

9. How would you describe your writing style?

I was told by one of my most prominent partners that my writing style was comparable to that of Douglas Adams. It was insanely appreciated, but my personal opinion on my writing would have to be that it is at the very least eclectic, sometimes a bit verbose, well researched, and I tend to overthink every little aspect for fear of being an utter and complete failure at it. I guess I am at least gutsy enough to keep trying though, right?

cat-typing.gif

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Writing Styles Survey

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus