Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Happy Pride Month!

Zelphyr Topic Starter

I went to my local Pride for the first time this part weekend, and it was roughly what I expected (which is not bad!). I spotted a couple other ace flags walking around, but only talked to one who was there with a pan friend, and only briefly because we were all amused by these little "makeout kits" - small containers of mints and lip balm. Unfortunately, between having work and being exhausted (and in mild need of a doctor, but that's been taken care of by now), I only got to go to the festival part with all the booths and none of the other stuff there was going on.

An aside, I just realized that this year is the 50th anniversary of Pride (or rather, of Stonewall) and of the moon landing. So... LGBTQIA+ folks? You're outta this world! <3

Space ace awaaaaay~!
Are you LGBTQIA+/queer?
Yes! I'm publicly bisexual, but my feelings towards people is actually pansexual in scope. I don't care much about gender, I just like people. I'm also a transgender male, but I used to place myself in the non-binary spectrum until recently. Oh, and I'm polyamorous. The concept was ingrained into me as a kid, and when I started writing it became more intense. I discovered the term for my romantic feelings a while back, and I've never been happier.

Are you going to a Pride event?
No, I'm not. I'm located in the most controversial state in the Bible Belt as of late; even though we do have Pride events here, I don't feel safe going out and celebrating. That, and I don't have transportation.

Is there an organization or shop you think deserves attention?
Hmm... The Bisexual Research Center and BiNet USA are the first two organizations that come to mind. Since we're so erased and stigmatized alongside other sexualities, I'd love to see more support for the bi+ community.

Have a safe and happy Pride Month, everyone!
Sanne Moderator

Happy Pride month everyone! :) I also want to take a moment and grieve with anyone who's lost someone or gotten hurt over any sort of community -phobia for being part of it. As much as we celebrate, this is still a reality for too many of us. It's why we celebrate pride!

Are you LGBTQIA+/queer?
Yes, pansexual/panromantic! I'm 100% interested and attracted to a person for reasons that are unrelated to gender and genitals. I'm happy with whatever you got, if I like you, I like you. I'm mostly drawn to assertiveness, compassion and empathy.

Are you going to a Pride event?
No, unfortunately Pride events are 99% of the time not disability friendly and I would have a miserable time at them over it. :( They look like a lot of fun though!!
DarkCrow wrote:
Personally, for whatever reason, I don't feel like I belong in the community either?
Same. Part of it is the denial from both in and outside the community that pans are valid, the assumption pans are transphobic (this is based on outdated views that existed before gender and sexuality were much more clearly defined as spectrums and genitals being irrelevant for gender). We supposedly don't exist, and are even rejected by certain LGBTQIA+ communities much like aces are. It makes it hard to feel like you belong.

There's also the issue that if I'm in a relationship with a (cis) man, I'm in a passing heterosexual relationship and it's assumed I'm straight. Who I'm with doesn't change who I'm attracted to though, but it can be hard to remind myself of that when everyone around me forgets, lol. I think this is another thing that makes me feel pretty distanced from the community at times, since I technically don't face the same hardships as I would if I was with a non-cisman in that case.
Happy pride happy pride!!

Are you LGBTQIA+/queer? YE. I'm a trans man, homoflexible in the romance department but honestly don't care much about gender, so bi or pan works, too, but with a bit of a leaning toward men and androgyny. Also asexual. I've always felt like that and only realized how not-broken I was around the same time I realized I wasn't broken for not wanting to 'be a girl' so to speak.

It was nice finding labels that compartmentalized everything I felt. Unfortunately, I still feel like a bit of an imposter. Maybe because of not passing too well, maybe because of just not seeing myself as a 'man' despite seeing other trans folk as legitimately what they are. I'm a little mean to myself like that I think. I'm also frustrated in the sense that there's been a LOT of ace exclusion that I've been seeing, even from my own friends, and it's got me feeling disheartened.

But I've felt how I've felt since I was a kid in the gender department. I didn't realize it, but hindsight is 20/20. In the sexuality department, I've had huge crushes on people of any and all genders since I was young, too, but tended to lean toward like... I dunno. I loved androgyny regardless of what a person identified as. That's been an aesthetic I've adored. Softer, sweeter men were great, and confident and assertive women were wonderful.

It's just loads easier to say I'm gay, since I do seem to have a slight preference towards guys or masc-leaning people, regardless of parts or identity, and the majority of my partners have been men. It's a little tough to explain.

Are you going to a Pride event? I am! This Saturday. I hate it in the sense that like... I gotta wobble around on a cane all day and my back hates me for it, but I like how happy people are. I get mega anxious and overstimulated like mad, but it makes me happy seeing people happy. I dunno.

Is there an organization or shop you think deserves attention? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Though! I will say, there are a lot of LGBT creators here in roleplay communities and art communities. If you can comfortably do so, if you have an LGBT artist you like, give em a poke! (I'm not saying this as a shameless plug I promise lmao, I just see a lot of artists in the art thread not getting the love they deserve!)

Etsy also has a lot of pride gear you can get... Supports those artists, too, and it's fun getting something handmade.
Zelphyr Topic Starter

Oh hey I'm a dork.

I have a friend with multiple queer labels who does livestreaming on Twitch as her sole source of income. She's still trying to get more attention so it can support her better, and apparently one of her subscribers has a cat that has an absolute fit if it doesn't get to watch her when she's supposed to be on.

Here she is: twitch.tv/feychrysalis

I've never watched her stream, but I know she's a lovely person. :)
kroweling

xxxxx

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Happy Pride Month!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus