Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Pricing help/suggestions?

Hey, everyone! I have only done a few commissions, and that was quite a while ago. As such, I was wondering how much my work would be worth in the eyes of the RPR. Obviously, this is super subjective, so don't worry about going too low or high- I just want to know the general reception to my art before I start opening slots and whatnot.

So, with that said, how much would you pay for a sort of loose painty bust like this? This is the kind of thing I'd like to start doing until I get the courage to branch out, although I wouldn't mind doing more refined work for a slightly higher price. In retrospect I regret giving my guinea pig here, my OC Harte, such a plain shirt to wear...
gl-1428064-1567443506.png

Feel free to peruse my deviantArt if that helps you form your opinion.
Thanks!
nightmqre

I would easily be willing to play anywhere between $20 - $30
Tea

I'd say 25 to 35 dollars. Depending on the amount of details and such. I also wanna' commission you badly whenever you decide on opening! Lovely, lovely style! <3
Auberon Moderator

My advice for commissions pricing is always to take your time spent and then multiply those hours by whatever minimum wage is in your state. You should ideally be making at least that much money for the commission to be worth your time.

All that said, I know sometimes art takes a long time when you're learning your style and easing in. Comparable prices are in line with what's already been suggested here. :)

Your art is GORGEOUS btw! I love this!
Auberon wrote:
My advice for commissions pricing is always to take your time spent and then multiply those hours by whatever minimum wage is in your state. You should ideally be making at least that much money for the commission to be worth your time.

All that said, I know sometimes art takes a long time when you're learning your style and easing in. Comparable prices are in line with what's already been suggested here. :)

Your art is GORGEOUS btw! I love this!

I'd say something but ^^this^^ pretty much sums it up ;) Beautiful work!

My only advice would be as tempting as it may be don't undervalue your art just because some may be willing only to play 5-10 USD. It is worth your time and energy,many no not know the value of art, especially personalized commissions (Thankfully the RPR community seems to understand,) and will rush to buy a low priced piece under the reasoning of 'supporting the artist' when in reality it is hurting them. Ask what your time is worth to you and don't feel bad about it.
witch Topic Starter

Ahhh!! Thank you all very very much for the kind words. <3 I'm so happy to know that there's interest- I've had a hard time building my confidence when it comes to art, and I'm still incredibly anxious about disappointing people and such, but the positive reception has definitely helped mediate a lot of that. About $30 was the first thought that I had as well, but I wasn't sure if it was off-base, so I think that may be what I go for when I get the nerve to post a slot or two!
For a simple bust and simple character to make in your style (no special marks/clothes/eyes ~ your basic human) with plain background I’d say 18~20$ seems fitting.

Adding specific details, marks, difficult clothes, difficult hair, complex designs and you can easily go up to 30$

Adding background from vague to complex is somewhere around +3$ to +10$ depending on the details in that...

So if you’d offer a range from the very simple chara’s to the complex designs with complex backgrounds, 18-40$ would be your price range. Ideally, I’d suggest going no lower than 20 and no higher than 35 to get the biggest worthy customer pool within your art’s value.
So, as a fellow freelancer and hobbyist...

My advice is always: Never sell yourself for less than a meal.

What I mean by this is: 10$ and above. Always. Always.

Then you throw in Time, Effort, Rendering, Supplies, Edits, etc.

For this personally? I'd pay 25$, +5$ if a fancier background was added.

It really depends on how detailed it is, how long it takes you, how many edits you're willing to go through, the background, the complexity, etc.

Sorry I'm rambling. I just have a lot of this info jammed into my head.

EDIT: Also!! This shirt is just fine! A bit of cropping would fix your issue with it looking a bit bland. If you're not willing to re-size the image try using more interesting looking brush work on the fabric or maybe a textured brush. Sometimes I like to give the more bland looking clothing a bit of a clean up by making their collar more interesting or adding some neat details via textured brushing.
If I had money, I would pay 25-30$ for this piece! Seeing the detail.

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Pricing help/suggestions?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus