Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » life?

whats the point of life?

im not saying this in a suicidal perspective, i just would like to know, what is your reason for living?

in tv shows(mostly anime), the protagonist of the story usually has a reason to live, and a very high willpower to back it up. normally, i would assume, that this is incorrect, and they just write it like that to grab the viewer's attention, but id like to see for myself.

whats your reason to live? whether it be family, friends, or even your job. i would very much appreceate it if you'd share it with me. even if its religion, im open to it, and im not here to judge. so please do, share!
LakotaSiouxWarrior

My family freinds beloved fiancee my German shepherd. My music poems and songs. By trying to be positive despite challenging negative situtations. By giving and sharing.
I live life everyday, thanking God to be alive, and living each day to the fullest. That's all we can do after all. Because life is an experience, and we all must experiences it in our own way. As long as we aren't doing anything illegal, we should all live our lives one day at a time. Life is short afterall, so I live each day embracing it, and doing what makes me happy! Spending it with friends and family! :)
Your question is indeed a theological one, and a philosophical one, but I'll offer a different perspective. I find that when I have enough of a challenge in front of me that I have hope I can conquer, that keeps my existential "meaning of life" questions somewhat at bay. But when things are too easy, or too hard, that's when those questions seen to rise to the surface of my mind. Also when I'm lonely -- if I have the right amount of socialization (for me) -- not too much to feel overwhelmed and not too little to feel unimportant or lonely, then I am again in that "Goldilocks zone" where life is more likely to feel meaningful. When I feel like I've reached someone in a certain way -- when I'm laughing with a friend and something is just so funny to us (but perhaps other people wouldn't "get it") that you feel like you're one with that person -- like you're sharing the same mind, the same thought -- there's something motivating and freeing about that.

Sometimes I feel those feelings you refer to...why am I making the bed again just to mess it up again later, going to work just to come home again--what's the point? But I propose that that's not the way we are meant to feel, and that it signals something is wrong -- either we're not being challenged enough, so that we feel that thrill that's supposed to be there in life (like when we were battling or escaping predators), or maybe we don't have the right amount of socialization that satisfies that need in us, so we don't feel the joy. Sometimes just a passion is what we need, like music, or writing, or dance. Who knows. But the point is...

I forgot already.

My mom, my wife, my friends, and God --- that's another simpler answer -- and my own future pleasure and joy.
riaanly Topic Starter

Abigail_Austin wrote:
Your question is indeed a theological one, and a philosophical one, but I'll offer a different perspective. I find that when I have enough of a challenge in front of me that I have hope I can conquer, that keeps my existential "meaning of life" questions somewhat at bay. But when things are too easy, or too hard, that's when those questions seen to rise to the surface of my mind. Also when I'm lonely -- if I have the right amount of socialization (for me) -- not too much to feel overwhelmed and not too little to feel unimportant or lonely, then I am again in that "Goldilocks zone" where life is more likely to feel meaningful. When I feel like I've reached someone in a certain way -- when I'm laughing with a friend and something is just so funny to us (but perhaps other people wouldn't "get it") that you feel like you're one with that person -- like you're sharing the same mind, the same thought -- there's something motivating and freeing about that.

Sometimes I feel those feelings you refer to...why am I making the bed again just to mess it up again later, going to work just to come home again--what's the point? But I propose that that's not the way we are meant to feel, and that it signals something is wrong -- either we're not being challenged enough, so that we feel that thrill that's supposed to be there in life (like when we were battling or escaping predators), or maybe we don't have the right amount of socialization that satisfies that need in us, so we don't feel the joy. Sometimes just a passion is what we need, like music, or writing, or dance. Who knows. But the point is...

I forgot already.

My mom, my wife, my friends, and God --- that's another simpler answer -- and my own future pleasure and joy.

i enjoyed this. very much.
i havent really been socializing. maybe thats why this question stumvled across my mind?
riaanly wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:

I forgot already.

i enjoyed this. very much.
i havent really been socializing. maybe thats why this question stumvled across my mind?

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » life?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus