Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » How would a YuGiOh RP work?

Hey all! I've been getting back into YuGiOh, and it feels real good to play again! That's put me in the mood for a YuGiOh OC RP of something kind, but I have no idea how playing a children's card game would work in a text-based RP.

Playing out whole games would take forever and might get old fast for all but the most wildly dedicated. Does anyone have any light they could shed on how this might work?
Welllllllllll I think that Rp allows us to not only relive but also expand the lore behind an anime or show that we are eager to see in real life. Sure I had played Yugioh here and there and honestly I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but the thing is that I enjoy the little games I had even if I'm sure I'm missing something important somewhere and if we are talking about RP I think it depends what you're looking for.

I do agree that an actual duel in an RP would be a difficult task unless you both know what type of card the other player is using and are willing to make your research for each card you're using 'Raigeki I choose you!' Still I think the best approach would be to make your own world based on Yugioh with it's own cards, rules, effects and what else (Even physics!) . Have you ever told yourself: 'It would be cool that the monsters were actually real in the anime and not just a hologram by kaiba corp' or 'dude I loved the art work of that card but it's effects are worst than a larvae moth I think it should have another one instead! ' or 'Gosh! I saw this custom card on deviant art It would be so cool that it actually existed in the official game'

What I'm coming to is that writting an RP allows you to twitch to the very last detail how you want your world to be, you can customize it at your heart's content and hell you can even go beyond that and break that pg 13 from the show (Oh yes those finger guns censorships were hilarious!)

If I where to do an Rp of Yugioh I would honestly toss aside all the strict rules and terms and go around summoning monsters bringing mayhem and catching them all while world building (Aint no time to be studying Yugioh!) . It would be like a hybrid between pokemon and Yugioh, you start with one card or set and then go around completing your deck to make it stronger. Another idea would be for a setting where Yugioh is just your tipical card game, but then your protagonist has an unknown power to bring cards to life! In said rp one rper could be the duelist and another one could portray a monster card or cards....you can even make it that the duelist doesn't actually know how to duel and have the monster card actually explain them what is going on with loads of facepalms and misunderstatements.

Your approach on the RP can be either comedy, action, horror, scifi, fantasy it all depends on the genre (Or a mix) you want to portray it! Your imagination is the limit! So go wild and obliterate those creativity points till you're satisfied with what you have created.

Hope this helps! Take care!
ConnanBell Topic Starter

0089 wrote:

I do agree that an actual duel in an RP would be a difficult task unless you both know what type of card the other player is using and are willing to make your research for each card you're using 'Raigeki I choose you!' Still I think the best approach would be to make your own world based on Yugioh with it's own cards, rules, effects and what else (Even physics!) . Have you ever told yourself: 'It would be cool that the monsters were actually real in the anime and not just a hologram by kaiba corp' or 'dude I loved the art work of that card but it's effects are worst than a larvae moth I think it should have another one instead! ' or 'Gosh! I saw this custom card on deviant art It would be so cool that it actually existed in the official game'

What I'm coming to is that writting an RP allows you to twitch to the very last detail how you want your world to be, you can customize it at your heart's content and hell you can even go beyond that and break that pg 13 from the show (Oh yes those finger guns censorships were hilarious!)

Hope this helps! Take care!

One thing I wanted to keep was the idea of playing a high stakes game. As goofy as it was, it was always fun to see the characters really get into their games. That passion for your own personal deck is something great. I like this idea of building your deck as you go along.

Either, I think it should remain a game, because that changes the way players relate to their favorite monsters. It's not a creature you can sit down and talk to. It only manifests when you play.

The secret is how to handle the duels. The Pokémon TV show was great because battles were short.

How well do you think a kind of "highlight reel" would work out? Play out only the most important parts of the game?
A friend and I experimented with it one time and the way we did the duels was by using a simulator they had online. It was completely free and it updated itself on the rules. Of course, that really didn't matter to us. So, the duel would begin and we would roleplay in the chat. It's not as descriptive, mind you, but it didn't need to be. It saved us a lot of hassles and concerns about power gaming. The website was called Dueling Nexus, I believe.
ConnanBell Topic Starter

absentworlds wrote:
A friend and I experimented with it one time and the way we did the duels was by using a simulator they had online. It was completely free and it updated itself on the rules. Of course, that really didn't matter to us. So, the duel would begin and we would roleplay in the chat. It's not as descriptive, mind you, but it didn't need to be. It saved us a lot of hassles and concerns about power gaming. The website was called Dueling Nexus, I believe.

This is actually a great program. Thanks for sharing it. Even so, actually playing a game won't always be possible due to differing schedules (but obviously it will be possible sometimes, which is great!). The biggest problem is that, sometimes, the duels follow a very anticlimactic path, which, especially if you're facing a big-bad, can wind up feeling empty. That's the other part of the problem.

Still, this is a great step!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » How would a YuGiOh RP work?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus