Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » MLP FIM Roleplayers?

I feel it's hard to find them sometimes. Anyone here a fan of the now complete show? I got in by Season 2. Helped me pass time in high school and was the first "fandom" that got me into the roleplaying world
I don't always like to admit it... cause I grew up with the original My Little Pony... but I was surprised to find the newer ones were actually pretty decent. :)

Even got the 'Tales of Equestria' RPG to play with some of the girls I've been tutoring in an effort to get them into table-top RPGs. (Minimal success so far... I'm still trying... :P )
TheCatOutOfHell Topic Starter

Juls wrote:
I don't always like to admit it... cause I grew up with the original My Little Pony... but I was surprised to find the newer ones were actually pretty decent. :)

Even got the 'Tales of Equestria' RPG to play with some of the girls I've been tutoring in an effort to get them into table-top RPGs. (Minimal success so far... I'm still trying... :P )

Lol. I'm not that far back, but I've seen them. I am a glutton for overly diabetic girly shows when I'm in the self-loathing mode. So do you like FIM, or are you a sort if "all encompassing"

Oh, I think I misunderstood your statement qwq. I get ya lol. It's weird how a competent person like Faust could turn a bubblegum show to something with lore and a fandom. Really wicked what she did
I like the story and lore in the FIM series. But I'm still partial to the look of the older ponies.

Maybe it's simply because that's what they looked like when I was a kid. Or maybe because the old ones are closer in proportions to real ponies. The huge eyes on the new ones are .... Odd. Lol

Juls wrote:
I like the story and lore in the FIM series. But I'm still partial to the look of the older ponies.

Maybe it's simply because that's what they looked like when I was a kid. Or maybe because the old ones are closer in proportions to real ponies. The huge eyes on the new ones are .... Odd. Lol

Lol. I get it, seriously. I suppose, from a design standpoint, bigger eyes is more expressive. It's like the eyes on Mickey Mouse, Cartoon Link from Legend of Zelda, or most cartoons. You can clearly see expressions, where they are looking, "effects" like fear (narrowing eyes), anger (firy pupils), and hypnosis (the purplish underlay of a green iris).

But I totally get it. I find it interesting they have, like, a storytelling game. I suppose I get it, the Friendship is Magic show actually has a world that isn't "Pony 1 is upset over minor inconvience and needs to get a day at the spa". It's more like "Hey, remember that time I yeeted my sister to the moon? Yeah, she's decided to come back and like, commit mass genocide by removing the sun. Kappa kappa"

You said your "tutoring" people into table tops?
That 'Tales of Equestria' game is actually a really good table-top RPG. The mechanics are toned down so there's really no way for a character to die... just get in trouble! It comes with a built in adventure where the PCs (Pony Characters) need to rescue the pets of the Mane Six. Plus, there's at least a couple additional adventure modules available now. (Or write your own, of course!)

As for the tutoring... it's really helping a few grade school kids with homework for a couple hours a week. But sometimes, when there is no homework, we'll break out board games. So I've been trying to "sneak" in the My Little Pony game since that seems to be a topic most can agree on! But the whole concept went over the heads of the younger ones... which kinda derailed the entire idea. Ah well... I'll try again in a few months. :)

Juls wrote:
That 'Tales of Equestria' game is actually a really good table-top RPG. The mechanics are toned down so there's really no way for a character to die... just get in trouble! It comes with a built in adventure where the PCs (Pony Characters) need to rescue the pets of the Mane Six. Plus, there's at least a couple additional adventure modules available now. (Or write your own, of course!)

As for the tutoring... it's really helping a few grade school kids with homework for a couple hours a week. But sometimes, when there is no homework, we'll break out board games. So I've been trying to "sneak" in the My Little Pony game since that seems to be a topic most can agree on! But the whole concept went over the heads of the younger ones... which kinda derailed the entire idea. Ah well... I'll try again in a few months. :)

Try the Warrior Cats Adventure game. Similar concept, but a lot cooler, and it has funny cats inside of it.

My other recommendation is try to find ways to tone dice rolls down and focus on imaginative stuff. Table tops are sometimes complicated due to rolls, but it's always fun to leave something open to some sort of creative idea. I dabble in table tops, but I've always been adverse to dice. Too much math involved sometimes qwq

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » MLP FIM Roleplayers?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus