Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » National Eating Disorder Awareness Week

It is in fact National Eating Disorder Awareness Week.

Content warning for this post in regards to that.

I am not very open at least not here about the fact that I am recovering/in recovery from binge eating disorder, but I felt now was a good time to talk about it. We need to be open as a society about these things so that people don't feel alone and can get help. So that people feel supported in their recovery.

There is no specific 'body type' of person who has an eating disorder, you can't guess what or if someone has one by their body type, people of all sizes, ages, gender, struggle with disordered eating especially in a society that has very specific beauty ideals and judgements of body types.

I'm 5 years into recovery and have had many ups and downs. Sometimes I feel I'm doing good, I eat dinner I feel great about it, I don't think about anything but how good it was - but then someone says something or I see a commercial for dieting and I feel sick, I feel as though I have done something wrong, that past me and maybe even present me was weak and not good enough. Among many other frustrating thoughts.

These thoughts are very hard to deal with. Well intending family members, friends, strangers and coworkers can say things that make someone recovering and/or struggling from an ED suddenly feel as thought they're suffocating. Ill-intending people can make you feel horrid for their own pleasure.

Education, compassion, communication are all things we and the people around us need when recovering from an ED and/or caring about someone who does. Frankly all those things are something we as a society need around food and stigma in general.

You are not worthless or doing a bad job if you relapse. You are not weak for needing help from a therapist or treatment in general.

You are so unbelievably strong for even taking the step towards help, it's a long journey but it's one that is worth it and one that you're not alone in.

The eating disorder helpline in the US where you can be assisted in getting help is: (800) 931-2237

The eating disorder helpline in the UK where you can be assisted in getting help is: 0808 801 0677

(feel free to let me know of some others)
Mercy, can you give some examples of "well-intentioned" things people might say or do that are counter productive to someone struggling with an ED? To allude to another thread I saw you give a beautiful answer in, I often feel like that thread's OP. I would be most grateful to be "shown" what to avoid.

But please don't if it causes you or might cause others to struggle if they read it.
MercyInReach Topic Starter

InkWren wrote:
Mercy, can you give some examples of "well-intentioned" things people might say or do that are counter productive to someone struggling with an ED? To allude to another thread I saw you give a beautiful answer in, I often feel like that thread's OP. I would be most grateful to be "shown" what to avoid.

But please don't if it causes you or might cause others to struggle if they read it.

I'm uncomfortable giving examples in the public space even in a collapse tag, but I can certainly message you. I don't have the emotional energy right this moment but I'll send you a PM a little later. <3
MercyInReach wrote:
InkWren wrote:

I'm uncomfortable giving examples in the public space even in a collapse tag, but I can certainly message you. I don't have the emotional energy right this moment but I'll send you a PM a little later. <3

That's sweet of you and I welcome it, but only when you are in a good space!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » National Eating Disorder Awareness Week

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus