Skip to main content

Forums » General Roleplay » A Slice of Pie for that Slice of Life? (Open)

Does it have to be so bright out?

The bell on the door rang as it opened, a young woman stepping inside. Raven looked about as the door shut behind her, keeping her sunglasses in place. Spring was kicking in, and the sun was making itself known that it won against the clouds today, but here inside this little shop, the lights were dimmed just right. Tempting to remove the glasses, but she had left her contacts at home and didn't feel like questions today.

The shop had a cozy feel, with its small tables around the perimeter of the room, leaving the floor open for what was usually the morning rush of coffee zombies. The woman briefly took in the sight of the sparse few patrons enjoying their company and meals, pulling out her phone long enough to turn off the music she had playing through her earphones. Her long black hair was down, so she didn't bother removing the one earbud in as it couldn't be seen before making her way up to the counter.

"Hello, how are you?" she started with, waiting for the barista to be ready to take her order.
Raven_Arya_Amaranth Topic Starter

((Anyone welcome to join! I haven't RPed in quite some time, so I'm trying to shake off the dust a bit here, so bear with me! I left it open if anyone wants the barista role, but my next post will make them an NPC if not.))
Aku Parnama (played by KingOfDorks)

His nose buried in between the fantasy world of his novel, Aku was lost in a daze as he failed to realize there was a door standing in his way.

As his head collided with the object that separated him from the cafe and the sidewalk he stood on, his attention snapped forward in slight shock. How could he have he forgotten that was there? The male sighed, swinging open the door, waving to the barista, and taking a seat at an empty round table by himself. He continued reading, a small smile spreading on his lips as he turned the page. Of course, he had no true reason to be in the cafe, for he could flip through the book at his apartment, but he rather enjoyed the quiet tone of the small place and the hushed voices that surrounded him. The only thing that could break his focus from the book was another story of its own, and nothing could catch his attention as much as this one did.

The cover was a crimson red, and it had three, immense and cursive letters scrawled across it; The Wedding's Stone. It was as thick as a dictionary you could buy at local libraries, but it seemed to be handwritten and a thousand years of age. Nonetheless, his stare was fixed on every word, drawing in the story as if it were air.
Raven Amaranth (played by Raven_Arya_Amaranth) Topic Starter

When Raven didn't remove her sunglasses, the barista let a funny look pass over her features for a brief moment before the customer service mask settled into place. With her confirmation of a good day and a question about what the dark-haired woman would be ordering, Raven gave her order for a turkey and pesto sandwich and a hot chocolate. "I'll be paying cash," she began, before her eyes noticed the muffins displayed on the counter. "You know... my sweet tooth is calling. Go ahead and throw one of those double chocolate muffins on there as well." Both women chuckled at this, while the shifter pulled out enough money for payment. An extra $5 and the change she received went to the tip jar, which had the barista smiling. They exchanged thanks, and Raven received her drink and muffin. "Just a sec on the sandwich."

With a nod, Raven looked about just as a thud was heard against the door. Startled, she turned to see a young man stop suddenly, and two and two put together told Raven he met the door the wrong way. He seemed to recover and step in normally, book still firmly in hand, though was able to acknowledge the barista. She waved back, a brow raised a moment before smiling and going about her duties. Raven watched the exchange with curiosity. Must be a regular... Shaking her own head, her phone gave off a notification, which distracted her. Uh oh, work related. A sigh escaped her as the woman behind the counter placed her sandwich on the counter. A small thanks and smile when the phone started ringing pulled her attention away.

"Hi Hank. Yes, Hank. NO, I'm not due in yet. I'm going to enjoy my breakfast...... No, I'll come in when I'm done..... Keep talking like that and it will be when I am scheduled and no earlier." Right then, one of the nearby tables erupted in laughter, with the gentleman getting up abruptly. He accidentally backed into Raven, bumping her and sending her drink to splatter to the floor in the direction of the man contently reading in the corner. Wide-eyed, the older man apologized and headed to the counter, wanting to replace the drink. Raven just hung up the phone, sighed, and grabbed the few napkins on her tray to begin cleaning up the mess. "That didn't hit you, did it?"

(Sorry for the wait!)
Aku Parnama (played by KingOfDorks)

Since the moment she began to speak sarcastically into the phone, she had drawn the attention of the book worm sitting in the corner.

Of course, he had only blinked for a handful of seconds before returning his stare to the novel. It’s rude to stare, Akusoma, the familiar voice drifted into his mind, and it was followed by a not so distant memory. It caused the man to shudder. Of all things, he wanted to forget him.

Though, Aku only got a glance at the fantasy world he held in his hands before the quick movement caught his eye and someone drew a breath. He looked up. The scene before him was rather unfortunate, yet he struggled to hide his grin and his quiet snicker. Rising to his feet, he folded his novel and set it on his chair, looking himself over. “No, no.. I don’t think so?” Aku understood that a drop or a few had, in fact, landed in the denim around his ankle, but he didn’t mind it too much.

He approached the counter and retrieved a handful of napkins, bending down to assist the stranger with cleaning the mess. “Well, today took a small turn, didn’t it?” The male joked softly beneath his breath. He swiped a napkin and began dabbing at a small section of the spill, the sides of his lips curling into a smile.

(( No worries! ;) ))
Raven Amaranth (played by Raven_Arya_Amaranth) Topic Starter

Taking a calming breath, Raven kept her cool. This was just a bump in a cafe, nothing to get uppity about. She nodded to the young man's response to her question with a tight-lipped smile, happy that at least she didn't have to pay to replace any clothing today. The man who had bumped her came back, a replacement cup placed on the momentarily forgotten tray on a nearby table. The woman again smiled, mumbling a thanks before refocusing on her task. The older gentleman helped clean some of the splash that had spread out before making a beeline for the restroom. More than likely the reason he had gotten up so fast, she speculated, glancing over her shoulder at the telltale sound of a mop bucket filling in the back. This means she also caught sight of her accidental victim coming back with more napkins.

“Well, today took a small turn, didn’t it?” This brought out a low chuckle and a smirk as she looked up through her sunglasses. "Hey, if this is the worst thing to happen, I'll count my lucky stars." With the wheeling out of the mop bucket, the barista told them she could take it from here, as most of the sugary, sticky mess had been corralled and contained, for the most part. Raven collected the blobs of hot chocolate paper and deposited it on her tray, away from her food, to get it to the trash over in the corner. The paper liner went in with, leaving her with just the tray to use.

"Thanks for the help, and sorry to have interrupted your time," she said, walking back over to the dark-haired man. She looked about for a place to sit when she noticed the book he had placed on his chair. As a bibliophile herself, this intrigued her. "I know it's bad form to judge a book by its cover, but that looks like an interesting read. Any good?" she asked, gesturing with her chin while setting her tray down at a nearby table and taking a sip from her replaced drink.

You are on: Forums » General Roleplay » A Slice of Pie for that Slice of Life? (Open)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus