Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » For Arthur!

Tobias Clark (played by Tugboattom)

Tobias frowned, masquerading as wolfish creatures? What did that even mean? He shook his head slowly," I d-don't know..." He stumbled over his words again as his mind tried to figure out what the king meant." What's it say?" He asked before rushing to add," If, if it's okay... for me to hear." His voice wavered and dropped as his sentence continued, his eyes slowly falling to the ground in order to hide his face from the king.

This was all his fault. He should be read the letter, even if the had told him not to. Tobias's hands curled into fists as he continued blaming himself for everything that happened here, for all the mistakes, all the problems they were facing,even how the king reacted. He blamed himself for all of it.
Cyrene Guinevere (played by KingOfDorks) Topic Starter

Louis shook his head vertically in response. “Dear Humans, we have decided that in order to keep both of our kingdom's from dying we must create, and sign, a treaty. We understand that this might be difficult for you to understand as you do have a much lower intellect than us elves which is why we came to this conclusion before you. We also have noticed some disturbance in our messengers and would like to address the reason. So, why have you been attacking our messengers and masquerading as wolfish creatures?

“Oh, pl—” Cyrene shut her trap, glancing sideways at Tobias. Seeing the change in expression, she hesitated, but placed a hand on his shoulder. “I’m sure there’s.. a reasonable explanation out of all of this.”

Well,” King Louis curled back his lip. “It’s definitely something. Who in their right minds would dress as a wolf, and then rid off the messengers? It doesn’t make sense.”

Tobias simply stood there for several moments, collecting his thoughts. He breathed out before looking up and fixing the king in a steely stare. He layed his idea down in complete confidence, altogether different then he had been just moments ago," It would keep us, and I mean both us's,like both elves and humans,from knowing the true culprit. "

While the change in his demeanor was a powerful one, it was short lived and Tobias's gaze slowly lowered to his feet as he mumbled inaudibly," Sorry." And shuffled his feet nervously. The elf didn't like the idea of a third party and as such was inclined to completely skip over such an absurd possibility.

“You have a point,” Louis nodded in agreement, “but why would someone do something like this? It just.. doesn’t make sense.”

“Revenge, possibly?” Cyrene stared blankly before holding her hands up in surrender. She didn’t want to make it seem as if she knew more than they did. “Not that I would know that, really. It’s just a hunch, I guess. I mean, if someone were to push any buttons or something like that, wouldn’t it make sense to strike what has a higher value to them?”

King Louis shook his head once again. “No need to apologize. We’re all.. fairly confused, I’m sure. Are wolves even common in this area? Perhaps it’s just the creatures themselves, and not one of us?” He glanced at Tobias. “Or your kind, in this case?”

" But... But didn't the letter say " wolfish and not wolf? Th-that would imply they weren't certain if they really were wolves, wouldn't it?" Tobias asked. " And... why would wolves go after only messengers? Especially at a time like this?" The elf asked as he ran a hand nervously through his hair before he dropped it and smiled softly, maybe he could do this. He wasn't freezing up as much, so maybe he was getting the hang of this.

"So..." Tobias started slowly," Um... We... may have... insulted the Elven Council of Elders. So, uh, that might get to be quite interesting for you. Or us. It's not going to be a good time for any of us." He explained as carefully as one could explain such a delicate matter.

“Ah, you’re right,” The royal tapped his foot, holding his hand to his chin, “and that is a valid point. Perhaps I’ll just write back and ask what they meant. I’ll explain that it definitely isn’t anyone I would know of, too.” Behind the King, the male who had been previously speaking to Louis stood, scribbling vigorously when this was said.

Cyrene did make sure to acknowledge the fellow assistant, saluting to him with a sly, somewhat joking, smirk. But her confident expression faltered as Tobias spoke, and she hesitantly turned to look at him with wide eyes and a glare that would possibly startle some. “Tobias, for the skies’ sake,” The rogue hissed beneath her breath. She then forced a completely nervous smile onto her lips as she glimpsed back towards the King, who stood in surprise.

He exhaled. “I can brush over an apology as well, I suppose.” He pinched the bridge of his nose, as if he had been expecting something like this to happen. “Did anything too terrible happen, or will they be fine after a beg-pardon note?”

Tobias froze up when Cyrene glared. He wasn't sure how to handle the situation, and the glare didn't help. He began to breathe heavily for several moments before he calmed himself enough to begin to think straight. His fists clenched and unclenched worriedly. He shook his head once to continue calming himself.

" Um... Uh... Er... I... Yeah." Tobias stuttered as his nerves continued to work havoc on him,"I... guess I don't know how well they're going to react to anything. " He shrugged and sent a glance to Cyrene, remembering how she had picked on him for shrugging. He grinned, loosening up again," And well, they insulted her," He inclined his head towards Cyrene," and I stood up for her."

When Cyrene had cracked a smile, she looked away and huffed, rolling her eyes as she did so. She had been able to keep a straight face up until he had shrugged and grinned, which had caught her off guard. Her brows furrowed and she held up an index finger to address what had just been said. “Correction,” The rogue cleared her throat with a crooked smirk, “I was fine one my own, thank you. But he interrupted-" She added an extra flare to the word, making it ( jokingly ) sassy and haste. "-the conversation. I could have defended myself, when push comes to shove!”

The King rose a brow, the edges of his lips curling upwards as he took in the information. “So, what I’m hearing is that said apology should be quick and negligent?” He then nodded in confirmation, looking back down at the letter he held. It worried him that there was a potential enemy that neither leader seemed to be sure about, but he was certain there had to be some sort of explanation. Well, almost certain.

Tobias simply rolled his eyes. To argue would only acknowledge the fact that it might matter to him. And it didn't. Or, atleast that's what he told himself. He would've loved to argue with the rogue all day, but he didn't want to do so in front of the king for fear of making a fool of himself. The elf crossed his arms moodily and looked away, before she could see him grinning.

" Um..." Tobias started as he turned his head back to the royal and tried to remember what the word negligent meant. He nearly laughed, just moments ago he had claimed to be the smartest person in the world and now he couldn't remember easy vocabulary. Eventually the word came back and he answered," If you think 'at's best. I'm not really all that sure anymore."

“It’ll definitely be better than not mentioning it, I think,” The royal claimed, ducking his head into yet another quick nod. Then he turned on his heels and waved a hand as he began making his way back to his seat. “So, would you two mind running another errand for me? I’ll be on the lookout for other messengers, without a doubt, but you two seem like the quickest option at the moment.” As soon as he whipped around and sat, he raised a brow.

Cyrene simply lifted and dropped her shoulders, holding her arms in the form of a ‘W’. It didn’t matter to her, honestly. It wasn’t as if she had anything better to do. So, she looked towards Tobias with a questioning look, tucking her hands back into her pockets.

Tobias shrugged weakly, although he was beginning to be less frightened of the royal, as he hadn't been punished or anything," Well, I have to go back at some point anyway. Doesn't matter to me if I come back with a letter. " He returned the rogue's gaze with a certain amount of merriment in his eyes at the idea of traveling with her again. The corners of the elf' s mouth began to lift into the smallest of grins before he turned back to the royal and nodded once firmly," Absolutely."

Then Tobias frowned, was he suppose to walk up and grab the letter, or was someone suppose to bring it down to him, or was it even written yet? He wasn't sure, but he figured it didn't matter, someone would have to tell him the plan eventually. Until his questions were to be answered he was content to simply allow his gaze to wander the room, taking in every detail. His head moved slowly as he looked about the room, wondering why humans would want to live on the ground.

Upon receiving the look, Cyrene chuckled and signaled with a small and quick thumbs up. There was a moment where she felt like she had been set on a road that would break into two; one being that she could refuse the offer in order to check on the warehouse and the people within it, or go along with the elf to give his leaders another letter. She exhaled as her face settled into an impassive, blank stare. Her hands fell by her side. Duke was there ( Or, at least, he should be there, by now ), and that meant everything was still fine. Though, she was somewhat concerned she had just put a huge amount of trust on a horse.

“Great!” The royal flashed a smile as he slipped the letter he had received to his assistant, who took it gratefully before continuing to scribble inside the pages of a journal. “Would you two like to wait here while the letter is composed? Of course, you’re free to do something else, if you wish. I’m sure we could find you.”

The rogue snapped back to reality, oddly put off by the King’s last statement. She then looked around in utter confusement, but then something clicked when her gaze landed on one of the garrisons. Very funny, Louis, Cyrene thought with a shake of her head and a quiet laugh.

" Oh, and how would you go about doing 'at? I mean, who knows where she might end up?" Tobias jerked a thumb towards Cyrene," I mean, she is kind o' wild. Have you met her before by any chance?" He asked, already knowing the answer, but he wanted to hear the king say it because then he might be able to watch Cyrene pick on the king. He nearly grinned at his loaded question.

" Well, I'm ready to go somewhere, want that strawberry we talked about earlier? I'm sure I can get it for you." Tobias winked and grinned as he began to turn to leave. He hoped she would understand that he meant he could steal her a strawberry.

In response to the elf’s question, King Louis rolled his hand in a circle before it reached the spot near his forehead, rubbing his temple. He scoffed. “Unfortunately so. In fact, I’ve placed more guards near the gates in order to keep check. Just a heads up; she manages to get past those, as well.”

“Hey! Hey!” Cyrene held out her hands, palm down and in a defensive manner. “I’m still in the room, thank you! Gosh. People these days! No wonder my best friend is a horse.” She folded her arms and smiled to herself, looking off to the side with a quiet hmph.

From the corner of the room, the assistant—Kai, in other words—cleared his throat in order to catch the rogue’s short-spanned attention. He simply glared. Though he didn’t speak, Cyrene got the message, and she gladly ignored it. Instead, she shook her head at him and turned on her heels, dramatically waving her hand through the air. “Yes, yes, you annoying princess. Let’s go get something while goody-two shoes and his personal worker bee write that letter of theirs,” Cyrene sent a sharp, teasing look over her shoulder, smirking at each person in the room with amusement sparkling in her eyes. She enjoyed the over-the-top exit a little more than she should have.

" Really? I thought she was just a buffoon that didn't know how to sneak. " Tobias turned to Cyrene, pretending to look her up and down as if trying to decide if she truly was that sneaky. Eventually he nodded as if finally deciding she very well could be."Huh, guess you learn somethin' new everyday, don't you? " The elf asked.

" I think he's the only one you can stand you. And even then, I think if he spoke English he wouldn't want to be your friend." Tobias teased as he grinned up to the king, hoping he would join in on the fun, even if it was at Cyrene's expense. Perhaps if he didn't know her as well as he did he might've felt bad about it, but, being that he did know her, he didn't feel all that bad about picking on the rogue.

" Hey there! Just 'cause you know I'm a princess doesn't mean they do!" The elf fluttered a hand, gesturing in the king's general direction as he followed obediently behind her. Then he harumphed, pretending to be grouchy with her. Tobias sped up for a few steps to be walking with her and crossed his arms, looking away in mock anger.

Cyrene’s mouth fell open. “Rude! Just because I might not be good at sneaking doesn’t mean I can’t get away with things!” Then, quickly, she looked towards the royal in the room. “But that doesn’t mean I do.. said things, of course.”

“Oh, please,” The King rolled his eyes with a grin, waving his hand to the left. “You are as bad of a liar as you are a bard.”

What?” Cyrene gasped when this was said, holding a hand to her chest and stepping back. “You write an argumentative passage one time with a few mistakes here and there, and people go and mock you for it!” Then, she paused. “Well.. ‘a few’ is probably not the right term, is it?”

King Louis shook his head. Before he had the chance to respond, the rogue had already begun rambling about something else, “And Duke appreciates my company, thank you very much!” Then, she snickered and shrugged, as if to say ‘Oh! My mistake!’. “Well, I guess some people learn something everyday, huh?” Cyrene scrunched her nose and grinned widely. She had mocked Tobias’s previous words, tilting her head to the side. Though, she did hope that that didn’t count as taunting or teasing of any sorts.

" Uh huh. Somehow I doubt that you don't do those things.I get the feeling that the temptation is too much for you, and that you end up bending to them, like a tree in the wind. A very weak tree in the wind. Weak tree, weak mind... You get where this is going." He shrugged as if that explained everything" And it wasn't rude, it was simply stating a fact. Would you rather I lie to your face?" Tobias asked.

" Argumentative passage, eh? What kind of argument? Wait! You can write? Like, with a quill? I didn't know that." The elf teased," So, I have a question: What does her argumentative ability have to do with her bardic skills? Bards sing songs, play instruments, write poems, but I don't think I've ever heard of a bard that wrote arguments. Not saying they're not out there, just that I've never heard of them before."

" Okay, whatever you say princess... er... prince? Whatever you wish to be anyway." Tobias responded flippantly." And I don't care, I think they could've found something else to learn today besides the fact that I'm a princess! Seriously! People these days!" He harumphed again and sled up slightly, as if that would automatically make him superior to her.

“Tobias, shush!” Cyrene laughed. “And- jeez. You might as well tell a little white lie every now and again, if it’s that harsh.” She shook her head with a teasing smile. “Besides, I think I would be a strong tree overall, but I could be easily knocked over if something were to really try.” She nodded as if that was the case, though she knew it, honestly, wasn’t. Cyrene grinned nonetheless, though.

The King simply scoffed with a small laugh and turned to his left to mumble something to the assistant, which caused the two to snicker.

“Hey! I can write! Just.. not very.. Not on an average level, per se. Alright, so it might be illegible, but at least I can do it, right?”

Kai cleared his throat once again, looking up. “Actually, you can’t spell anything unless it’s shorter than five letters-”

Then, Cyrene clapped her hands together repeatedly in a haste manner, chuckling anxiously as she did so. It was as if she was attempting to cover up the fact he was speaking. “Kids and their imaginations, huh? They can just.. make things up. All the time.”

“I’m eighteen, Cyrene. Wait. I’m older than you-”

The rogue began slapping her hands together again. That’s when the King looked around the room until his gaze landed on the elf once again. “Ah, a bard was the closest thing I could compare her to. Her rhyming skills were.. damfool, you could say. Alongside that, after we failed to ‘listen to her’, she then proceeded with walking around the outside of the palace, shouting. I couldn’t tell if it was screeching or singing, but it could be clarified as both.”

Cyrene snorted. “I don’t know if I should be offended, or if I should just agree.”

Then, the redhead looked towards Tobias and smiled lopsidedly. “What else would be as interesting as you being a princess, anyways?” She folded her arms over her chest and looked down as she snickered.

Tobias shook his head," And that is what proves that you are in fact a weak tree. Strong trees never try to convince others of their own intellect, they already know their strength, and don't need others to tell them that they're intelegent. So... how do you feel about that?" Tobias challenged jokingly.

" Someone's a little self-consciece about their writing." Tobias replied slyly, making sure to lower his voice so it sounded as if he were whispering, even though he made sure to make it carry. One of the few times the skills the Elders taught him were useful.

Tobias nodded in understanding," Yeah, there's only so many things you can compare someone like 'at to." Tobias snorted before realizing this might not be the right place for that, and tried to cover it up with a nervous laugh which grew slowly into a full laugh," You," He panted," You screeched around the castle?" Tobias laughed as he held his stomach.

" Lots of things. Like all that information you were collecting about elves?" Tobias asked, obviously trying to prompt her into something else, and show off that he knew that she knew that he... where was he going with that again?

“I think you should just stop being smart sometimes,” Cyrene huffed, pausing to think for a moment. “Strong on the outside, weak on the inside?” Her eyes widened. “That sounds- That didn’t come out the way it was supposed to. Wow.” She winced.

Then, she stiffened. “Bottom of a snake, Tobias!” The words received a strange, confused look from King Louis, but the assistant seemed amused. He didn’t think the rogue still used the term as often as she used to. Nonetheless, Cyrene waved a hand. “I was never ‘self-conscious’ about what I wrote. Until I was. Apparently, when you get so flustered about one topic, it isn’t taken too seriously.” She glared and shook her head, folding her arms over her chest. She attempted not to smile as she lifted her chin and scoffed.

The King acknowledged his agreement with a broad grin, resting his head against his hand as he leaned back in the throne. “Granted,” He chuckled.

The redhead took a step forward, her brows furrowing. “It was not screeching. I was stating my case by raising my voice, that’s all.”

“Haven’t you heard the saying ‘raise your argument, not your voice'?” Kai murmured with a slight smirk, but his attention quickly returned to the journal he held.

“I feel targeted,” Cyrene joked, placing her hands on her hips as she sent a look around the room. Her stare landed on the elf again. “I mean, I’ll admit I might’ve forgotten most of it, but I’ll remember when the time comes.” She chuckled with a shrug.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » For Arthur!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus