Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » For Arthur!

Tobias Clark (played by Tugboattom)

" Uh huh. Somehow I doubt that you don't do those things.I get the feeling that the temptation is too much for you, and that you end up bending to them, like a tree in the wind. A very weak tree in the wind. Weak tree, weak mind... You get where this is going." He shrugged as if that explained everything" And it wasn't rude, it was simply stating a fact. Would you rather I lie to your face?" Tobias asked.

" Argumentative passage, eh? What kind of argument? Wait! You can write? Like, with a quill? I didn't know that." The elf teased," So, I have a question: What does her argumentative ability have to do with her bardic skills? Bards sing songs, play instruments, write poems, but I don't think I've ever heard of a bard that wrote arguments. Not saying they're not out there, just that I've never heard of them before."

" Okay, whatever you say princess... er... prince? Whatever you wish to be anyway." Tobias responded flippantly." And I don't care, I think they could've found something else to learn today besides the fact that I'm a princess! Seriously! People these days!" He harumphed again and sled up slightly, as if that would automatically make him superior to her.
Cyrene Guinevere (played by KingOfDorks) Topic Starter

“Tobias, shush!” Cyrene laughed. “And- jeez. You might as well tell a little white lie every now and again, if it’s that harsh.” She shook her head with a teasing smile. “Besides, I think I would be a strong tree overall, but I could be easily knocked over if something were to really try.” She nodded as if that was the case, though she knew it, honestly, wasn’t. Cyrene grinned nonetheless, though.

The King simply scoffed with a small laugh and turned to his left to mumble something to the assistant, which caused the two to snicker.

“Hey! I can write! Just.. not very.. Not on an average level, per se. Alright, so it might be illegible, but at least I can do it, right?”

Kai cleared his throat once again, looking up. “Actually, you can’t spell anything unless it’s shorter than five letters-”

Then, Cyrene clapped her hands together repeatedly in a haste manner, chuckling anxiously as she did so. It was as if she was attempting to cover up the fact he was speaking. “Kids and their imaginations, huh? They can just.. make things up. All the time.”

“I’m eighteen, Cyrene. Wait. I’m older than you-”

The rogue began slapping her hands together again. That’s when the King looked around the room until his gaze landed on the elf once again. “Ah, a bard was the closest thing I could compare her to. Her rhyming skills were.. damfool, you could say. Alongside that, after we failed to ‘listen to her’, she then proceeded with walking around the outside of the palace, shouting. I couldn’t tell if it was screeching or singing, but it could be clarified as both.”

Cyrene snorted. “I don’t know if I should be offended, or if I should just agree.”

Then, the redhead looked towards Tobias and smiled lopsidedly. “What else would be as interesting as you being a princess, anyways?” She folded her arms over her chest and looked down as she snickered.

Tobias shook his head," And that is what proves that you are in fact a weak tree. Strong trees never try to convince others of their own intellect, they already know their strength, and don't need others to tell them that they're intelegent. So... how do you feel about that?" Tobias challenged jokingly.

" Someone's a little self-consciece about their writing." Tobias replied slyly, making sure to lower his voice so it sounded as if he were whispering, even though he made sure to make it carry. One of the few times the skills the Elders taught him were useful.

Tobias nodded in understanding," Yeah, there's only so many things you can compare someone like 'at to." Tobias snorted before realizing this might not be the right place for that, and tried to cover it up with a nervous laugh which grew slowly into a full laugh," You," He panted," You screeched around the castle?" Tobias laughed as he held his stomach.

" Lots of things. Like all that information you were collecting about elves?" Tobias asked, obviously trying to prompt her into something else, and show off that he knew that she knew that he... where was he going with that again?

“I think you should just stop being smart sometimes,” Cyrene huffed, pausing to think for a moment. “Strong on the outside, weak on the inside?” Her eyes widened. “That sounds- That didn’t come out the way it was supposed to. Wow.” She winced.

Then, she stiffened. “Bottom of a snake, Tobias!” The words received a strange, confused look from King Louis, but the assistant seemed amused. He didn’t think the rogue still used the term as often as she used to. Nonetheless, Cyrene waved a hand. “I was never ‘self-conscious’ about what I wrote. Until I was. Apparently, when you get so flustered about one topic, it isn’t taken too seriously.” She glared and shook her head, folding her arms over her chest. She attempted not to smile as she lifted her chin and scoffed.

The King acknowledged his agreement with a broad grin, resting his head against his hand as he leaned back in the throne. “Granted,” He chuckled.

The redhead took a step forward, her brows furrowing. “It was not screeching. I was stating my case by raising my voice, that’s all.”

“Haven’t you heard the saying ‘raise your argument, not your voice'?” Kai murmured with a slight smirk, but his attention quickly returned to the journal he held.

“I feel targeted,” Cyrene joked, placing her hands on her hips as she sent a look around the room. Her stare landed on the elf again. “I mean, I’ll admit I might’ve forgotten most of it, but I’ll remember when the time comes.” She chuckled with a shrug.

Tobias grinned," I can't, it is simply the way I am." He then shrugged." It seems to me that you have two options here: One,find a way to dull me . Two, you get smarter. Somehow, I find your chances at the second to be greater." He widened his grin, knowing the general consensus on second options. His innocence and youth prevented him from understanding the rogue' s comment about her being strong on the outside weak on the inside. He tilted his head, much like a curious dog, and asked," Whatya mean it didn't come out right?"

" Well that's the case with most things, isn't it? You weren't, until you were. For instance, you weren't born, until you were. You weren't a messenger, until you were. You weren't an annoyance, until you were." He laughed as he ducked away to ensure his safety from a sudden whack, if it were to come.

Tobias's eyes drew over to the assistant when he spoke. Kai, he realized. After all, Cyrene had spoken of him, and a king can only have so many assistants. " Hm..." He thought smugly," I like his style. Intelligent, quickly delivered..." He nodded in appreciation to the assistant' s comment," Yes. I like him." Tobias decided, without ever having a conversation with the man, unless of course, this counted as a conversation. Tobias didn't think it did.

Tobias raised a blonde brow," Sure you will. You know what? Let's get out o' here before you embarks your self further. Not that I don't enjoy it, but I think it's only polite of me to try and protect you, even if it is from your own stupidity." Tobias ducked again, just in case.

“Haystacks. Second options are always out of the park, but the first choice would be too difficult,” Cyrene furrowed her brows and huffed. “And I don’t think I could fit any more knowledge into my head. What else is there to know except basic concepts and such?” She shrugged lightly. Of course, she knew there was a lot to understand about said concepts, but it wasn’t as if she would attempt to learn anything about them. Snapping back to the present, the rogue raised a brow at the elf. Then, she made an ‘O’ shape with her mouth as she realized he might’ve not understood what her words meant. “Nothing. The way it was worded didn’t quite sound like something.. That would make me seem alright?”

Her gaze shifted around the room as she wondered if that was the correct way to describe it. The assistant was no help, for he simply looked up and around, as if he was purposely avoiding her stare. She huffed. The one time she needed a small excuse of some sorts her mind blanked. So, she attempted to just move on.

Upon hearing his comment, the redhead gasped and held out her hand before drawing it in towards her once again, laughing as he ducked before she even lifted a finger. Her hands returned to her side. “I was never annoying, thank you,” She crossed her arms and leaned forward somewhat.

“And I was never a royal,” King Louis shook his head with a chuckle, enjoying his sarcastic response. “Guinevere-”

“Cyrene.”

Guinevere, we both- all-” He made a gesture to his assistant, as well as the elf. “-know that isn’t particularly true.”

The rogue threw up her hands. “Well, that the heck!” Cyrene grinned sidewardly. “I don’t think I’m that annoying, anyways. But- sheesh!”

Ha!” The rogue looked up for a moment at nothing in particular before she glimpsed at Tobias once again. “I could always protect myself, without a doubt. Even from my foolishness. Most of the time, anyways.” Then, she looked over her shoulder. “Well, we’ll be heading out, I suppose. Kai, you’ll be able to find us, won’t you?”

“Of course. There’s only an entire town to search, right?” The male smirked in return, shaking his head as he did so. “Besides, I’ll be sure to write this within a week. Or maybe I’ll need more time. Who knows?”

The rogue scrunched her nose in return of the last comment. “Oh, shut up! You knew I was joking about that!”

" Oh, and why would that be?" Tobias asked, knowing all too well the reason, but enjoying her apparent frustration." You know, if you ask my opinion, and why wouldn't you, you've got too much in 'ere already. I mean, I don't think it's much of a container, maybe it leaks." He rapped a knuckle on her head, only enough to cause an annoyance. The elf nodded once he heard the sound it made," Yup, definetly leaking, I'm an expert in such things, don't you know?"

Tobias opened his mouth, ready to deliver an argument, when the king answered. Tobias stretched his expression into a grin, trying to make it look like he had originally meant to grin. He mostly succeeded at this endeavor, and his his original intentions.

" Uh, uh huh uh.You should've stopped at " I don't think"."Tobias laughed, not bothering to coward early this time, hoping he would be quicker than her.

Tobias decided the effort to grace Cyrene's latest argument would be wasted, and so he simply rolled his eyes and muttered something under his breath before opening the doors and walking out. He then turned to the king and assistant and called over his shoulder," Hey! Thanks!"

“An expert in what?” Cyrene batted away his hands, taking a step backwards as she did so. “Causing an aggravation to a certain redhead? And, thank you, but what I know is enough. It doesn’t leak or anything like that. Promise.” She chuckled as she held one hand on her chest and the other with the palm facing outwards to show said pledge.

“Falsehood! I think all of the time, actually,” The rogue folded her arms and scoffed with a smile creasing her lips. “Maybe not a lot, but at least I think, right? I would think that that’s better than nothing.”

Cyrene rose a brow, looking back at the two as the elf spoke. “What are you- Why are you thanking ‘em?” She chuckled in bewilderment and followed after him. Despite claiming that she had put thought into everything, she didn’t think to ever thank the King, let alone his assistant.

But, in return of the small appreciation, King Louis called back hopefully before the doors shut. "Ah, no problem! We'll get that letter to you soon enough!"

" Sure, You know the last promise you made happened to be that you wouldn't pick on me. And, well," I guess someone learns something new everyday?'" Tobias raised a sarcastic eyebrow, moving his mouth to the side sassily and crossing his arms. He wasn't entirely certain how she was going to try and worm her way out of this one, only that she would because she was a coniving little rogue. He just hoped he would be able to argue with her.

" So, ready for that strawberry oh brainless one?" Tobias asked, his voice laced with merriment and laughter as his eyes sparked with joy at the opportunity to pick on his elder, it wasn't everyday he got to tease someone of Cyrene's age after all.

The rogue gasped in disbelief. “That was not making fun of you, dear Tobias!” She laid a hand on her chest and shook her head, fighting back the temptation to smile. “I was simply repeating your own words. I apologize if they were used in a mocking manner, but skies forbid I dare tease you!” When the statement rolled off her tongue, she couldn’t help but snort. “I believe we both know that would be highly unacceptable, hm?”

“Brainless?” Cyrene’s mouth fell agape as she adjusted her posture, attempting to stand somewhat taller. “Bottom of a-” She paused. Clearing her throat, she restated her sentence in order to appear not as ‘brainless’. “I beg to differ! I have some intelligence, thank you very much. After all, how stupid can a thief be?” She chuckled, folding her arms in a defensive manner. “Besides, I don’t need something to eat. I’ll live. I mean, I’d be cool with it if you weren’t stealing it, and- y’know- with the whole ‘being the purest elf’ situation or whatever, it’s not exactly ideal.” Cyrene smiled crookedly, tilting her head with a raised brow, as if to ask if he wanted to do this anyways.

"Somehow I find it extremely hard to believe that that wasn't teasing. I, believe it was in fact teasing. After all, you were mocking my former statement and threw my words back at me which is rather rude. And, you used them in order to argue with me, and insults and readings are most often used during an argument." Tobias pointed out, moving his hips and finger in a very snotty way almost as if using his body to argue as well.

Tobias waved his hands at her as if batting a way her arguments," Yes, yes whatever you say." He told her flippantly as he eyed a strawberry vendor. He saluted lazily as he wandered away to go steal the strawberry.

Cyrene felt her jokingly tenderhearted smile fade for a moment as she listened to the elf. But, in a matter of the argument, she dipped onto a quick bow and grinned. “I fully apologize for my actions. It was wrong of me to insult , let alone argue with, you! I regret what I have done deeply, and I hope you can accept my sincerest apols.” She then lifted herself to her normal state once again, though she seemed rather confused. “Apols? That is the right word to use, isn’t it..? Yes, yes it is. So, Tobias-” She nodded to him. “I hope you can accept my sincerest apols.” Cyrene snickered, obviously enjoying saying the word.

The rogue scoffed with a smile, placing one hand on her right hip instead of both on both. “Just don’t get caught,” She hissed underneath her breath with a snicker. “I don’t feel like having to rescue a princess just because they felt the need to get a strawberry.”

" Apols? Where did you find 'at word? It sounds like you went to say apologize and then your brain stopped working. Not that that would surprise me, but still..." Tobias let his sentence drift off as he wondered on the next insult he might use. It would have to be quick, well thought out. Something artistic. Perhaps even something like the King's assistant's quote. It had been well delivered. Yes, something like that." So, oh childish one, where in the known world could someone as... distasteful as you find such a strange word?"

Tobias turned around, walking backwards and rolled his eyes at her. He then turned back around before he had the opportunity to fall into someone. or something. The elf shook his head," Princess." He muttered," How will I ever live this one down?" He asked himself, slightly jokingly as he knee it was kind of a term of endearment between the two. He shrugged as the strawberries drew nearer," Perhaps I don't need to."

Tobias walked by the vendor, waiting until another person struck up a conversation with the vendor before slipping the ripest strawberry he could see into his sleeve. The elf turned and began to walk back.

(( do we want to roll to see if he succeeds or just say yes or no?))

“I beg your pardon, but it’s an actual word!” Cyrene snorted, puffing out her chest in a defensive manner. “I remember someone saying it once. Kai, maybe. Mhm. I think it was him. No one I would know would use such a fancy word, anyways. And- excuse you! I am not childish.” She shook her head at the term as she scoffed “I am very responsible! It’s not my fault I knew a word you didn’t.” She smirked tauntingly, winking at him.

The rogue sneered with a grin in return, mocking him. She chuckled to herself. Hopefully, the tease wouldn’t actually count as mockery, since it was only expressions and not words. But she wouldn’t be surprised if it would be displayed as such. Her gaze drifted over the elf for a few moments- perhaps longer than it needed to- before she focused on the crowd around them. Would anyone suspect them of anything? The unfamiliar face was certainly drawing some looks, she noticed. Well, it is a small community, and it’s not everyday an outsider wanders through the gates. She nodded, confirming her unspoken theory.

(( Go for it! It’ll definitely surprise us one way or another. ))

Sure it is." Tobias rolled his eyes sarcastically," Sure, of course you would say that Kai said it, after all he seems to be the most learned person you know, and therefore if you say he said it it makes it more believable that it's a real word when in fact it isn't and is a lie! A falsehood!" Tobias's voice began to climb as he continued acting as if he were truly offended by her comment.

As Tobias walked away he turned his head to see if anyone noticed...
rolled 1d20 and got a natural 14.

Note: didn't know if we wanted a modifier or not.

"What? Tobias, I may lie often, but this is the honest truth!" The rogue nodded, as if the simple movement and words would be enough to convince him. "And it wouldn't really matter who said it, really. Either way, I still would've repeated it just to seem intelligent or something close to that." Cyrene shrugged with a smile. Her hands finally were tucked into her pockets, where she decided they would stay until she needed to wildly gesture to anything else she or the elf said.

The crowd didn't seem to be put off by the wandering ( who would possibly seem indecisive by the stroll to and fro ) elf, but he did receive a handful of looks. One, though, put Cyrene on edge when they squinted, opened their mouth to speak, and stepped forward. But they didn’t seem to be too stirred by the maneuver of Tobias, so he simply shook his head and turned away.

Tobias shook his head"adamantly" and replied," Oh, I seem to remember someone saying that ,"Once a liar, always a liar."?" the elf raised an eyebrow as if asking for her to argue." Oh, so you're... what? A parrot? Good job! You're as intelelgent as a tropical bird!" The youth gave her two thumbs up with a sarcastic grin," Okay, can you tell me anything " intelligent sounding" that you didn't hear from someone else, oh parrot of the kingdom?" Tobias asked.

Tobias wandered back to her, checking over his shoulder only once more before grinning victoriohsly at Cyrene. He gave her an exaggerated bow and rolled the strawberry down from his sleeve and landed it in his palm," My lady." He said, trying to impersonate Kai' s voice, and failing miserably.

“Well, that quote itself is lying,” She huffed, rolling her eyes as she faintly hid her smile. “People can change, y’know. Besides, that doesn’t even affect anything I said, ‘cause I’m not lying. And- jeez! First I’m a racoon, then I’m a werewolf, now I’m a parrot? Tobias, what other animals do you mistake me as?” Cyrene chuckled. “Oh, have you met me? Why would I need a random fact to prove I’m intelligent? You should just trust that I am.” Grinning at the elf, she tapped the side of her head, as if that would demonstrate her level of intellect.

At first, her cheeks flushed with rosiness in mild confusion, but she quickly regained control over her slight daze and flicked Tobias on his forehead. “What’re you doing, Princess?” The rogue snorted, hesitantly taking the strawberry from him. “You look like a dork. Are you feeling alright?” She joked, taunting him with a slight shake of her head.

" Sure, whatever you say. My only problem is that most people don't seem to want to change. Like, oh, Ya know, the Elders. They've been that way for generations. So, why should you change?" He asked, although he did regretted it because now it sounded like he meant she was like the Elders, which wasn't what he meant at all but he couldn't take back words that were already spoken," Er... Not that you're like them,but," The elf' s entire body vibrated with nervous energy as he spoke," well, I mean... You know!" He threw his hands to his sides in exasperation. The boy rung his hands, unsure what to say next. He laughed nervously in response to Cyrene's comment on animals," Well," He rubbed the back of his neck trying to eleviate the stress," I guess you're just some kind o' abomination." Tobias joked, even if it was slightly forced." I'm 'fraid I don't trust that you're intellegent."

Tobias recoiled and scrunched up his nose," Hey!" He said as he held a hand on his forehead, pretending it hurt," Ouch!" He exaggerated the word." I get you a strawberry, and you flick me on the forehead and insult me? No wonder the king dislikes you and sent you on messenger duty!"

Cyrene narrowed her eyes at the remark, lifting a brow. “Why wouldn’t I?” She finally mumbled. She was evidently curious, but she had a few guesses on the answers. “I mean, sure, some people don’t change at all—and some never will—but I believe most would at least try to become better.” Then, with a smile, the rogue waved her hand to the right, as if brushing away the serious topic. “Besides, you could never compare me to your.. the Elders or whatever. I’m obviously too amazing.” She tossed her hair over her shoulder slyly to prove her point ( Also, she didn’t want to make too big of a deal over what the elf clearly didn’t mean to say ). “And why not put a little trust in me? I’m trustworthy enough for you to at least take my word for something, right?”

“Well, I was panicked by whatever..” Cyrene gestured to him, but nothing in particular. “..that was. It was a fight-or-flight thing, y’know? But, anyways, thank you.” Then, she gasped. “Actually, no, I take that back! The King loves me! Who doesn’t?” She grinned and took a bite out of the fruit, her eyes lighting up as she did. She definitely enjoyed the pleasure of having something to eat, and she made sure to wipe her mouth with the back of her hand before muttering an actual thank-you to him.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » For Arthur!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus