Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Thoughts on Military themed RPs

So I have just been reading the room of everyone here for a while now, and it seems to me that a good chunk of people here like fantasy rps, and sci fi rps, which is to be expected. Of course there are a million different rps out there, but those two are very far reaching to people and I can almost wholeheartedly assume everyone here has done one if not both. Anyways, the reason I am posting is I am just wondering if people here are actually interested in military themed rp? Now I feel like that kind of rp gets a bad wrap because when most people here Military Rp the first thing that goes through their minds is, "Oh here we go, now I gotta learn what guns are, and know how to do all this tactical fighting, and understand all the lingo, and make sure I got everything as accurate as blah blah blah..." I think that is a rather toxic behavior to expect everyone to need to be 100 percent accurate with things that would not be common knowledge, not just in a military rp, but in any rp environment that is suppose to encourage fun, creativity, and escape, but unfortunately, anyone who has been in contact with a military nut who would most likely be the type to want a military rp would be like that and has no doubt tarnished the genera's reputation.

I know it sounds like I am rambling but hold on I am going somewhere with this.

For a few weeks now I have been working on creating a group, a group that is inspired off the ideas presented in the Metal Gear franchise. Metal Gear is in essence, a military genre. However, instead of tormenting itself with keeping everything stuck to reality, it does a unique thing where the military angle, provides the setting and plot devices that gives everything its purpose, and reasons for the plot to be happening, but it does not keep its focus dead set on the authenticity and real nature of the military and instead it acts more as a flavoring for everything that goes on. The games always had a lot of fun introducing impossible paranormal aspects and cool sci fi gadgets and tech, and the military themed aspects is just the thing that gives its cohesion and makes everything fit into its place. Inspired by all this, I wanted to make a group here that would work in vain of the Metal Gear series, in fact at first I wanted to make it a Metal Gear thing, but I didn't want people to have to worry themselves with the complicated lore and world in case they never played the games and instead opted for something that is defiantly inspired by Metal Gear, but is its own thing. However I ran into a bit of a wall because I had to ask myself,

Would people on this site even care for that sort of thing? I have been here almost 2 years now(lost an old account) and not once have I seen anyone up for a military-esque role-play, or even any characters that carried a military atmosphere. I would rather not follow through with my plan entirely, then to go through with it, only to find out no one would ever really be interested. This is not an advertisement for this group, there isn't anything concrete just yet, I just want to know if there would be at least a handful of people interested in these kinds of ideas before I make up my mind on rather or not I will go through with all this.

Edit: I think there was some confusion with my intent on this rp, I have an idea to make a group on the website, like a place where everyone can join in on the rp and branch off into forums and play out their stories in the world I plan to craft, and I am just trying to figure out if it is valuable to do that or if I should just not waste the effort and keep it to a simple one on one rp or something
If no one else will I would gladly join you. I understand how it feels to have an idea but never truly be sure it would be ok. I also understand where your coming from with military rps. As a matter of fact when I first opened this I was prepared to close it and never think about it again. I could also make a character for this rp because none of mine really fit and they're all made for midieval fantasy.
TheDivide Topic Starter

Well its good to know at least one person would be down for it, if I dont feel like there would be enough of a following for a group I may just try it as a normal rp. I will have to see what the future holds though. I may try to go through with it anyways, because I have a lot of fun ideas in store that I already spent a lot of time developing. I would hate for it to all go to waste you know lol
Although I haven't personally done a military-themed RP, I've seen people who have. There definitely seems to be a small group of people who are interested in it. As for me, I don't hold an opinion because I've never done any military roleplays, but I'm not opposed to trying things out. I might be interested in doing this.
Rogue-Scribe

As a military gaming buff of old, I've always had a 'thing' for military RP, usually in the modern-historical (read '20th Century') era. I have two characters set in WW2 era, both that are in a slow-moving RP with another writer, and one (Rolf Steiner) in a deep gritty war RP on the Russian Front. I also have my Vietnam soldier I dedicated to my cousin, John Roby Wolf. He is more a tribute character but I am in a 'China Beach' fandom RP using this character but a different name. Thirdly, I have a 21st century historical-current soldier, Chris Silas who is in a 'on leave' RP at the moment, and my old high school playboy Steve Harrison tied in with Chris in Afghanistan.

So there is some interest out there where I have been lucky to find likeish-minded people, and I've run across some military based characters while browsing the character list, and I think a group would be pretty cool, but as you pointed out, the military interest writers seem to be few and far between. It usually tends to be futuristic si-fi stuff or medieval history stuff (not that there is anything wrong with those genres).

I would do what I can to support you should you take on the creation of your vision. As for all RPs, it has to be fun for all involved. When an RP is more work than fun, it dies.
I am and have been super keen on military rp's for a while now and I'd be down for a group on it.

I got 7 characters that are military though a few are based on games or movies. I got 1 Titanfall, 1 Terminator (future setting) and 1 Spartan III.

As for actual soldiers I got two WWII soldiers one German and one English, one NZ Officer based for Vietnam and an NZ counter terrorism soldier though I'd be willing to change era's and probably nations.
TheDivide Topic Starter

The Viatnam soldiers would work perfectly because it would take place in an alternate reality 1980s in the midst of the Cold War involving a group of PMCs(personal military contractors) working around the globe to keep everyone from going to war. The Viatnam characters could be made just slightly older versions of themselves who dont know how to fit into the world and go to said PMC with the promise of being in a place where all lost soldiers can find a home.

I have been working on making the group but I got stumped because I need to have a Epic Group subscription to be able to work the forums. The forums where going to be a important part of the rp, since I would have everything sectioned off as rps set at the base, and then when people deployed on missions there would be forums for Afganistan, Africa, Russia, ect. ect. And I'm not really in a financial situation to be buying anything like that just yet so I'm trying to think of a work around until I can do something better.
you could possibly ask someone else to make the group, if not thats cool too. I dint have thay kinda money either but someone else might.
TheDivide Topic Starter

Small update, I was wrong about the forums and I just wasnt looking in the right place, I can edit the forums however I please so the group is still in production. Depending on how much time I get, I hope I can be done with it soon

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Thoughts on Military themed RPs

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus