Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Alien Biology

Hey, so while I'm guilty of making some aliens that are basically just meta human species, I've always liked to customize their insides, and give them a unique (though not always scientifically accurate) biology. Form over function after all.

So I'd like to hear how you guys make your aliens!
Do they even have a biology, or so you prefer to leave it vauge? detailed?
Are yours able to blend in with humans baring one or two alterations?
Do they have any strange cultural greetings do to their biology?
Are their different ethnicities of the species? How are they different? Why?
Anything they find disturbing or weird about ours?
Can they tell humans apart, or vice versa?
So they have specific diets or needs?
What about things like reproduction or cardiovascular systems?
Do they have specific flaws(like the Vega nerve or your appendix for example) that they've evolved?

Let me know! Oh and I'm free to answer back any of these questions.
*rubs hands together gleefully*

So, I have one super-fleshed-out alien species (which you can read about here) and a few that are a lot less fleshed out. I'll answer this mainly for the one I just linked to.

I have put a lot of thought into their biology, actually. Not all of it will get discussed in the novel I'm writing about them, of course, but I've decided to go into detail on it in my notes and stuff regardless. Not everything is covered on the page I linked, but a lot is.

My aliens, the varsit, are not at all able to blend in with humans appearance-wise. For one thing, they're giant dinosaur gorilla things with colorful spiral horns and teeth for days. For another, their culture is quite xenophobic, so even if surgical and/or genetic alterations could produce a human-looking varsit, none of them would ever "debase" themselves in such a manner.

They do have several different social customs that are strange by human standards. For example, the polite greeting gesture for addressing a stranger or a superior is to raise the chin, baring the throat, and press two fingers each to their temples, palms facing outward. The reason for this is mainly that baring the throat and putting the hands where the other person can see them is a sign of submission: it's exposing a weak point to potential attack, and saying, "I am not a threat to you, I mean you no harm," and asking the other person to do the same. So I guess it's less due to their biology and more due to their culture, but I still thought it was interesting to mention.

There are different phenotypes, but they aren't quite like ethnicities, as the varsit civilization has been united under one flag and one cultural identity for more than one million years, and much of their history before the unification has been lost or intentionally erased. Varsit scales are varying shades of grey, but their skin underneath and their eyes and horns are one of eight colors: red, orange, yellow, green, teal, blue, indigo, or purple. (Or yellow-green, but those are the product of genetic engineering and not a natural variation.) A varsit's place in their caste system is determined by their color, and one's color also determines the likelihood of the individual possessing psychic abilities, with the higher (towards the purple end) castes being more likely. It's speculated by some that the variation in psychic potential among the castes is also the product of genetic engineering on the part of the ruler caste, but their government staunchly denies this.

To a varsit, probably the weirdest thing about humans is how a species with barely any defensive or offensive adaptations managed to reach the top of Earth's food chain. Humans have four things going for us: we're very prosocial, we have an extremely efficient gait that allows us to power-walk after prey until the prey collapses from exhaustion, we're omnivores with the ability to eat almost anything including things other animals consider poisonous, and we have opposable thumbs that allow us to create and manipulate complex tools. Aside from that, however, we have soft, squishy bodies, no claws, fangs, horns, or spines for offense, and no shells, scales, armored plates, or particularly tough skin for defense. The varsit, in comparison, are apex predators with claws, fangs, horns, scales, and a tough hide underneath said scales.

They can tell humans apart to a degree, mainly because humans have such a wide variation in appearance. Humans, on the other hand, generally have a hard time telling varsit apart aside from what color their horns are and how the fur on their head is styled.

The varsit are obligate carnivores, meaning they can only eat meat. They have evolved a high resistance to toxins and harmful radiation thanks to their large and powerful livers and a specialized organ dedicated to neutralizing radiation, which is necessary considering their home planet is being bombarded with radiation by its dying sun, making the plants toxic and everything above plants in the food chain even more toxic thanks to biomagnification. That said, there are things that are toxic to a varsit, and enough radiation will still affect them. On top of that, being such large carnivores, varsit need to eat a lot in order to get enough energy to survive. They are basically always hungry and eat throughout the day (or, rather, night, as they're nocturnal). To that end, they are willing to eat any meat they can find...even if it came from a person.

Their reproductive and cardiovascular systems are actually two aspects of their biology that I've fleshed out more than others! The varsit have two separate circulatory systems; one strictly for oxygen and one for other nutrients. Because of that, they have two hearts and bleed profusely when cut, though it's difficult to puncture through their tough scales and thick hide. Due to their size, I'm currently debating how their respiratory system works, and I really wish we knew more about how Earth's dinosaurs breathed. Their reproduction is particularly weird, but I won't repeat it here for fear of getting over the PG-13 rating of the public forums. Suffice it to say that their reproductive organs are in a weird place and they also have a second, non-functional set of reproductive organs that serve a different purpose.

The biggest flaw of varsit biology is probably their reproductive method. It's a slow and dangerous process, and as such they have a low birth rate and high rates "maternal" death (maternal is in quotes because varsit don't have genders or sexes the way humans do). They're definitely a K-strategy species, but their slow reproduction rate goes beyond just that. A varsit's "womb" is situated near the upper back of their thoracic cavity, behind their lungs, which poses a suffocation hazard as the pregnancy gets close to completion. Varsit egg sacs incubate inside the body for about three-fourths of the time before they hatch, and outside the body for the final fourth of that time, and are expelled through the mouth. That creates another suffocation hazard as the egg sac puts pressure on the windpipe as it leaves the body. Why they evolved this way is beyond the knowledge of varsit science, and their reproductive woes are a source of much grief for them.
SchonJakob Topic Starter

Malachite wrote:
*rubs hands together gleefully*

So, I have one super-fleshed-out alien species (which you can read about here) and a few that are a lot less fleshed out. I'll answer this mainly for the one I just linked to.

I have put a lot of thought into their biology, actually. Not all of it will get discussed in the novel I'm writing about them, of course, but I've decided to go into detail on it in my notes and stuff regardless. Not everything is covered on the page I linked, but a lot is.

My aliens, the varsit, are not at all able to blend in with humans appearance-wise. For one thing, they're giant dinosaur gorilla things with colorful spiral horns and teeth for days. For another, their culture is quite xenophobic, so even if surgical and/or genetic alterations could produce a human-looking varsit, none of them would ever "debase" themselves in such a manner.

They do have several different social customs that are strange by human standards. For example, the polite greeting gesture for addressing a stranger or a superior is to raise the chin, baring the throat, and press two fingers each to their temples, palms facing outward. The reason for this is mainly that baring the throat and putting the hands where the other person can see them is a sign of submission: it's exposing a weak point to potential attack, and saying, "I am not a threat to you, I mean you no harm," and asking the other person to do the same. So I guess it's less due to their biology and more due to their culture, but I still thought it was interesting to mention.

There are different phenotypes, but they aren't quite like ethnicities, as the varsit civilization has been united under one flag and one cultural identity for more than one million years, and much of their history before the unification has been lost or intentionally erased. Varsit scales are varying shades of grey, but their skin underneath and their eyes and horns are one of eight colors: red, orange, yellow, green, teal, blue, indigo, or purple. (Or yellow-green, but those are the product of genetic engineering and not a natural variation.) A varsit's place in their caste system is determined by their color, and one's color also determines the likelihood of the individual possessing psychic abilities, with the higher (towards the purple end) castes being more likely. It's speculated by some that the variation in psychic potential among the castes is also the product of genetic engineering on the part of the ruler caste, but their government staunchly denies this.

To a varsit, probably the weirdest thing about humans is how a species with barely any defensive or offensive adaptations managed to reach the top of Earth's food chain. Humans have four things going for us: we're very prosocial, we have an extremely efficient gait that allows us to power-walk after prey until the prey collapses from exhaustion, we're omnivores with the ability to eat almost anything including things other animals consider poisonous, and we have opposable thumbs that allow us to create and manipulate complex tools. Aside from that, however, we have soft, squishy bodies, no claws, fangs, horns, or spines for offense, and no shells, scales, armored plates, or particularly tough skin for defense. The varsit, in comparison, are apex predators with claws, fangs, horns, scales, and a tough hide underneath said scales.

They can tell humans apart to a degree, mainly because humans have such a wide variation in appearance. Humans, on the other hand, generally have a hard time telling varsit apart aside from what color their horns are and how the fur on their head is styled.

The varsit are obligate carnivores, meaning they can only eat meat. They have evolved a high resistance to toxins and harmful radiation thanks to their large and powerful livers and a specialized organ dedicated to neutralizing radiation, which is necessary considering their home planet is being bombarded with radiation by its dying sun, making the plants toxic and everything above plants in the food chain even more toxic thanks to biomagnification. That said, there are things that are toxic to a varsit, and enough radiation will still affect them. On top of that, being such large carnivores, varsit need to eat a lot in order to get enough energy to survive. They are basically always hungry and eat throughout the day (or, rather, night, as they're nocturnal). To that end, they are willing to eat any meat they can find...even if it came from a person.

Their reproductive and cardiovascular systems are actually two aspects of their biology that I've fleshed out more than others! The varsit have two separate circulatory systems; one strictly for oxygen and one for other nutrients. Because of that, they have two hearts and bleed profusely when cut, though it's difficult to puncture through their tough scales and thick hide. Due to their size, I'm currently debating how their respiratory system works, and I really wish we knew more about how Earth's dinosaurs breathed. Their reproduction is particularly weird, but I won't repeat it here for fear of getting over the PG-13 rating of the public forums. Suffice it to say that their reproductive organs are in a weird place and they also have a second, non-functional set of reproductive organs that serve a different purpose.

The biggest flaw of varsit biology is probably their reproductive method. It's a slow and dangerous process, and as such they have a low birth rate and high rates "maternal" death (maternal is in quotes because varsit don't have genders or sexes the way humans do). They're definitely a K-strategy species, but their slow reproduction rate goes beyond just that. A varsit's "womb" is situated near the upper back of their thoracic cavity, behind their lungs, which poses a suffocation hazard as the pregnancy gets close to completion. Varsit egg sacs incubate inside the body for about three-fourths of the time before they hatch, and outside the body for the final fourth of that time, and are expelled through the mouth. That creates another suffocation hazard as the egg sac puts pressure on the windpipe as it leaves the body. Why they evolved this way is beyond the knowledge of varsit science, and their reproductive woes are a source of much grief for them.

I can't believe you got through that without explaining they are cold blooded. What is their planet like that they can be a nocturnal reptile? Usually reptiles conserve heat at night.

Also i already love these guys such a cool race! Thanks for answering.
SchonJakob wrote:
I can't believe you got through that without explaining they are cold blooded. What is their planet like that they can be a nocturnal reptile? Usually reptiles conserve heat at night.

Also i already love these guys such a cool race! Thanks for answering.
Ah, I knew I was forgetting to mention something!

Their home planet, Bequver, evolved life a bit later than most planets do, and it orbits a star that, over the past million years of varsit civilization, has begun to enter the red giant phase of its life, which is pushing the system's habitable zone further and further out. As a result, Bequver is at the very inner edge of said habitable zone, and is constantly being blasted with heat, light, and radiation, day or night. Daytime on Bequver is so bright and hot that it actually overheats and kills the varsit, so they're mainly active at night, which is still blisteringly hot, but survivable. Air conditioning and insulation were inventions of vital importance for daytime survival back at the beginning of their civilization, and their cities on Bequver expend a lot of power keeping indoor temperatures tolerable during daylight hours. During the night, the ambient temperature outside is well over the level any human could survive, but it suits the varsit well, as they evolved in a high-temperature environment to begin with. It's rare that a night on Bequver gets too cold for the varsit to maintain their body temperature.

The state of their homeworld is actually one of the prime motivators of the Varsit Imperium's aggressive expansionism. They're desperately trying to find a suitable planet to relocate Bequver's population to before the planet becomes uninhabitable due to their sun's expansion. They have a lot of colonies already, but none are quite what they're looking for in a replacement for their home planet.

Thank you for reading my infodump, I love these guys to death and have spent many years working on them. I'm glad you think they're cool! :D
SchonJakob Topic Starter

[/quote]

The state of their homeworld is actually one of the prime motivators of the Varsit Imperium's aggressive expansionism. They're desperately trying to find a suitable planet to relocate Bequver's population to before the planet becomes uninhabitable due to their sun's expansion. They have a lot of colonies already, but none are quite what they're looking for in a replacement for their home planet.

Thank you for reading my infodump, I love these guys to death and have spent many years working on them. I'm glad you think they're cool! :D[/quote]

Thanks for sharing it! It's actually pretty sympathetic hearing about their world, and their need for conquest coupled with their...inefficent breeding almost gives it this duality of "I must" coupled with "I cant".
It's kinda sad, but also lends credit to their harsh and resilient frames, making them seem less human and more like a series or psych patients whom have survived the holocaust by eating the nazis...

Err, I guess i mean to say, is that it sounds like you could write some interesting themes with them.

Oh and I love that much dedication to a biology and ecosystem working in tandem that's exactly the level of science I like in a story, enough to follow and make sense of without having to define exactly how much any one thing can be stretched, giving a cool affect of making them seem more varied.
So maybe not quite what you were looking for, but I hope you dont mind if I maybe share some of my sci-fi species. THey arent exactly 'alien', in that they're all genetically engineered, but they are quite dramatically different from humans physiologically and psychologically, though maybe less so in terms of basic form. Theres a few of them, all within the same culture... I have aliens too but they arent really well developed yet, so. Plus I tend to try and make my actual aliens as weird as possible. Imma mostly focus on my Onei'reik and Lexta for this since they're the most fleshed out.

Theres a ton of information on their biology, but for the most part they have an organ structure similar to a birds, with a cloaca, air bags for breathing, etc. Lexta look vaguely human, but they have some pretty dramatic physiological changes, such as possessing blubber and a thin layer of scales (usually too small to see, though on some Lexta they're visible externally. Onei'reik on the other hand are basically humanoid arachnoids, they have two legs, two arms, and four special limbs called "Daedrites" which they use to inject poison and climb. THe Daedrites come out of their back, two above their shoulders and two below their arms. Their faces have four eyes, and they have an unusually large head with a large boney exoskeletal plate at front.

Most Lexta are sorta able to pass as human, though they have to hide their tails, claws, ears, and fangs. But like, if they just wore a heavy hoodie and kept their head down, they would be able to pass. Onei'reik on the other hand would never get anywhere "near" passing as human, since they have eight limbs and they dont walk like a human. Some Lexta are actually specifically engineered to serve as infiltrators, and these Lexta are changed to look much more human-like.

Now since Lexta, Onei'reik, and all sorts of other geneforged bioforms (including Bazlin'kizaur, Cosmic Dragons, Rifter Hounds, Serpentine Dragons, etc...) are in the same culture, it would be kind of hard for their culture to be directly informed by their biology. They mostly just bow (a quick head nod if its casual, a deep full bow in very important settings), as thats something that pretty much any bioform can do.

I would 'assume' that onei'reik and bazlin'kizaur have different subtypes or 'ethnicities', but as of yet I've only really worked on the ones for the Lexta. They have numerous ones, most of which are adaptations t odifferent environments. For instance, the "Fireborn" subtype are engineered for desert climates and have thicker scales with better moisture retention, and are adapted for hotter, dryer weather. On the other hand theres several which are basically just 'aesthetic', and these are typically classified as Shrineborn because they're all regarded as some kind of semi-mystical, sacred body. Its important to note that they're actually able to change with genetic alteration or Reincarnation. Reincarnation for them is a technological process, because once they die their minds are absorbed by this biomechanical neural network called the Spire, and they will eventually be Reincarnated, with their new form being based on their past life. So some of the subtypes are 'rewards' for their service in the past.

Most notable though are the "Chosen" subtypes, which are basically extremely carefully engineered and enhanced bodies granted to an elite upper echelon with extremely stringent entry requirements.

Anyways moving on. Aldyraxians (thats the catch all term for the civilization, regardless of individual species) really dont like human civilization, partially because of just disliking everything in it and partially because their creators were booted off earth in a world war ages ago. But specifically, they find everything about sex utterly repulsive. Just in general though they take issue with basically everything about human ethics. Could make a whole post about that but I dont wanna get too caught up on this question.

Humans would be able to tell Lexta apart reasonably well, but they probably wouldnt be able to do the same with Onei'reik which have almost no features in common with humans other than a vaguely similar body shape. Conversely, any aldyraxian should be able to tell humans apart, because their features arent too dissimilar from Lexta.

As for diet they need to eat alot. All of that genetic engineering has rendered them with an extremely high metabolic rate, so they need to eat large amounts, often. To couple with that, they dont actually absorb as much from their food because they have a weaker digestive system. (This goes for basically all of the species.). As for what they eat, they have a variety of genetically engineered crops and game which are designed to give them as much nutrition as possible. Some of the 'advanced' ones (the Chosen subtypes, Dragons, etc.) have to take radioactive fuel pellets.

None of them reproduce, because they're entirely reliant on biomechanical factories that grow new ones en masse. They basically just always produce enough to keep their population at a specified level. As I said before their cardiovascular system is modeled on a birds, though, I'm not quite sure how the advanced subtypes work... Since some of them are able to operate in space, they presumably dont rely on oxygen. Hence radioactive fuel pellets.

Since they're genetically engineered, they mostly have flaws in their architecture all ironed out. The main exception would be that they just need to eat a ton, since 'energy conservation' was about the last thing on their creators minds.

Anyways having gone over all the questions I'll just go over some of their biology and physiology now! Eheh... I dunno if anyone is actually gonna read this far. At any rate I should specify that I almost never get to use these guys, they're basically tailored towards higher-power sci-fi and would probably come across kinda mary-sue-y in any other setting. So I mostly use their earlier form before all of their genetic engineering was completed.

So first, things that apply to both of them.
- Their genetic structure is based on 6-base XNA (Xenonucleic acid) for additional information storage complexity.
- They're all warm blooded
- They have an unusual architecture in that they have a large amount of extracellular material. For the most part, only their organs and blood veins are actually 'living' material, the rest being essentially mechanical (though its constructed by their living cells). Similar to how our bones are mostly extracellular.
- Their biology is designed to interface with biomechanical symbiotes, which makes up a large part of their technology. For instance they have 'living' armor and weapons that they can use, which rely on their own internal energy stores.

Onei'reik things:
- Regular Onei'reik have poison injectors in their Daedrites, but subvariants have flechette launchers and web spinners instead. Often the top pair and bottom pair have different types.
- Some biomechanical symbiotes will bind to the Onei'reik's Daedrites, and then adjust how they function. This is basically how Onei'reik use more powerful weapons, they just have symbiotic armor that adjusts their natural weapons functions.
- Though they have hands, their manual dexterity is very poor because the claws barely move. They rely on their Daedrites for complex interaction with objects.
- They have the lightest build of all aldyraxian bioforms, and their thin legs cant support heavy armor. Thus, when they wear armor, they have unusually thick synthetic muscle fibers around the legs to support them.
- They average 2 meters in height, but are lighter weight than humans because they're very scrawny and dont have an internal skeleton.

Lexta things:
- They look somewhat similar to humans externally, other than triangular ears, tails, retractile claws, sharpened teeth, and a weird 'shimmering' appearance to their skin. If you look really closely you can just make out that they are covered in scales and have no body or facial hair, plus they look young and androgynous to humans (since they lack any gender)
- Quite a few subvariants (Dragonborn, Abyssborn, and Fireborn most notably) have thicker scales which makes them visible externally.
- Some subvariants have additions to their biology, including bone spurs on their knuckles (dragonborn and shadowborn), wings (skyborn (they cant fly though, they're only usable for gliding)), and horns (dragonborn and fireborn).
- Their gums are made out of a hard, keratinous material.
- The earlier generations have metallic teeth, while later on they're crystalline.
- They have large eyes directly based on birds, which look quite drastically different compared to humans (including three separate eyelids). Because of this, they're also tetrachromatic and can see more colors than humans.
- They have thicker scales around their neck to protect it
- They essentially have an electric metabolism, since they have electric-actuated muscle fibers.
- Their designed to be biochemically incompatible with other lifeforms to prevent infection, and as such their blood is extremely toxic to non-aldyraxian lifeforms. Similarly, they cannot eat anything from earth.
- To help with their extreme energy consumption, they're able to absorb energy from the sun, though its not nearly enough to power them.
- The underside of their feet looks like a snakes underbelly
- Lexta take several years to form inside of their bioreactor, and once born they already are similar to a child in terms of development. They're able to walk immediately following birth and will quickly learn basic skills like going to the bathroom, etc.
- Lexta average about 1.9 meters tall, but some variants (notably Dragonborn) can be significantly taller, maxing out at about 225 centimeters.

- Similarly to a squid, they have a large number of neurons throughout their body and alot of their processing power doesnt come from their brain. Particularly their spine contributes greatly to their neurology.
- One of their major psychological changes is that they're way more rationalistic and dont have strong changes of mood or emotion, and they have way more control over their emotions compared to humans.
- As part of the last thing, they also arent as affected by environmental factors. They dont have circadian rhythms... uh, probably more things, thats the only thing I can think of right now though
- Despite being very 'rationalistic', they do have just as much emotion as a human, its just expressed alot differently. Their emotions dont change quickly and arent based as heavily on environmental factors, but they can still feel sad if something bad happens, etc.
- They're very slow to form emotional attachments, and it can take years before they do.
SchonJakob Topic Starter

So that was a he'll of a read, and while it wasn't what I was looking for it is cool. Very in the spirit
Also you should read my Omega character of you wanna see biology you can never use.

I'm not sure my brain remembers which is which but I do like them, there is also a huge genetics company on Omegas original setting that have some op non-human looking subjects called proto-Zoa (shout out to guyver for that) and then complete ones that are weaker but can shift back into a human form (called Zoas).

I do love the take that humanity has become our own aliens do to genetics, are purebloods still around? Or did the people who made the chosen wipe them out?

Regardless of memory issues I loved the read and your post was still close enough to enjoy. PM me if you wanna talk more about either of our concepts
YEESSSSSSSSSSSS MY TOPIC!

So I've got a bunch of alien species with lroe n shit that I wanna o into, so imma just have osme collaspible menus for it

Zordites

So these space lemurs are probably one of my more fleshed out alien races.

So firstly with Biology, they're humanoids with one head, two arms and legs, and a body, though they also have a very long tail. General rule of thumb being that the tail is usually as long as the Zordite is tall.

They evolved from a species of arboreal quadropeds, retaining that arboreal nature. They can stick to walls like a Gecko, and use their tails similarly to a monkey. The species as a whole has a sort of hour-glass-ish figure, having wide hips and broads chests as a whole, with most of their major organ groups being jammed up in the rib or pelvic cages, with their mid section housing less essential organs.

They're planet is in the further end of the Goldilocks zone and as such is rather cold, so Zordites have a fur coat to help keep warm, though in recent millennia the fur coats has thinned. After a large meteorite hit their planet, Zor, it introduced a mutagenic mineral called Nutranium to the environment, which rows like plants, and spread through out the planet. As a result of the nutranium, Zordites, and many organisms in the Zordite family, developed temperature regulating abilities to varying degrees. Zordites specifically can expel or sap heat from the surrounding air. They've had this ability long enough in their family to have evolved sensory organs and pores to aid in this ability.

Even though they have pores they don't sweat, since they're able to directly release heat when they get too warm. They're horns serve as their main means of measuring the temperature out put, allowing them to precisely measure the temperature of themselves, their surroundings, and other Zordites.

Because of they're thermokinesis, they've incorporated it into their culture, often using heat expelling or absorbing to supplement their speech, and some Zordite cultures have entirely made languages based entirely around their ability to expel and absorb heat. Horn layout can vary from as few as one horn, to five horns, and their shape and placement varies from individual to individual, though two horns jutting at an upwards tilt from the forehead is the most common arrangement.

Fur colors in Zrodites vary, ranging from green to red, but most Zordites typically have secondary fur patterns, which typically a darker or lighter shade of the color the main coat is. The eyes have similar color range. The iris makes up the majority of the eye, and they have plus shaped pupils

They've got two major ethnicities in their species, Plantigrades and Digitgrades. Plantis are typically taller than Digis and evolved to live on the ground, whilst Digi's are usually shorter and are still heavily arboreal. These two ethnicites are further divided based on where they live, and the Planti-Digi relationship hasn't always been good and was the biggest source of conflict in Zordite history with one group believing itself better than the other.

The biggest flaw in Zordite biology would probably be their respiratory system. They're ancestors had incredibly large rib cages, owing to the unusual placement of their head and neck which can be seen in the Zorg, the closest living relatives of the Zordites. When Zordites assumed a more humanoid posture, they're rib cage shrunk a great deal, as such many of their organs are smaller than comparable organs in other species, most notably they're lungs. Their lungs are too small for them to properly breath, and they evolved pores that would allow them to take oxygen in to directly insert into the blood stream, in fact after being introduced to Nutranium these pores evolved into the thermokinesis pores. Unlike their breathing, Zordites can't prevent their pores from operating, meaning that they're bodies would naturally take in toxic gases they may encounter, and can even take in water if they're submerged long enough.

They can generally tell humans apart and vice-versa, but are weirded out by humans lacking tails and fur.

They lay eggs to reproduce. The eggs are similar to amphibian eggs, not having a hard proper shell, however they do have a durable flexible outer material. Zordites evolved from prey animals, and as such naturally reproduce in large quantities, having clutches of eggs that can range anywhere from four to ten eggs. Thankfully, they aren't harmed in the womb since Zordite eggs can handle a good deal of deformation before they pop. Because of the amount of eggs Zordites can lay, there are strict regulations on their reproduction to avoid over population, however drugs have been invented to allow Zordites to reproduce, but that would ensure a smaller more manageable quantity of eggs. Because of the clutches, Zordites have three names, used to have four. A Personal name, a Clutch name, a Family name, and formerly a Tribe name, though that has fallen out of practice in recent years.

Opalon

I really like this race. The Opalon are a race of artificial stone entities made by a long extinct race of aliens.

They have centaurine anatomy in their design, though their lower 'horse' body is shorter and more deer-like than commonly seen in centaurs. Effectively being androids, they don't have many proper organs, but have general equals to a brain, stomach, and heart. The brain is a sort of complex processor, which is capable of learning and developing a personality. The heart is called a power stone, and is made up of a big chunk of nutranium, using it's energies to activate the body. The stomach is effectively just a fuel tank. Nutranium energy doesn't last forever, so the body needs to derive energy to charge the nutranium to keep the Opalon running.

The upper body of the Opalon is very comparable to a humans, as are their faces, having noses, eyes, ears, and many even having hair. Similarly to Zordites they have horns, though these are mostly for display.

They're culture is very capitalistic and can be compared to the industrial period in America. have three main classes, lower, middle, and upper. The lower class fills in the majority of jobs and can range any where from a borderline slave, to just a simple worker. The middle class is generally more well respected, they're usually given more advanced or specialized jobs than the lower class. Both classes are generally made up of incredibly common minerals, though there are some exceptions with the middle class. The Upper class is the species leaders. They're aristocrats, business owners, etc. and are made up of rare minerals, more often then not with gems embedded into their bodies.

The species doesn't reproduce like most organic species. They forge new Opalons as needed to fill in whatever job they're needed for. However, it's not uncommon for two or more Opalons to come together, offer up some of their material to forge a child to raise. Only middle and upper class Opalon are permitted to do this, as such having a child is often seen as a status symbol. This caused trouble with Opalon relations with other races when they first began to meet organic life forms, as they perceived everyone being allowed to have a child as an insult, though they've since learned and accepted that organic life really *can't* propagate itself without having children, even if it took a while for them to learn this. Some still have difficulty with this perception, namely the lower class seeing aliens with children as being in the upper or middle class of their speceis.

Opalons don't have a sex, being artificial beings who reproduce through factories rather than sex, however as they met and began to work with other races, it's become common for Opalon who could afford physical modifications to have their bodies altered to take on the gendered characteristics of various alien species they have encountered, however this is entirely an aesthetic thing.

Nyrk Naqer (played by AlexSilverX)

I'm literally a ball of pseudo-plasma that oozes out a humanoid quasi-solid form to interact with bipedal species without too much awkwardness and otherwise sprout limbs, appendages and tools at my whim and fancy... Also, my senses all originate from this same core/organ and direct damage to it is the only way to potentially kill me since I'm not subject to the woes of disease and time. Mind you, my entire species was born from a specific supernova, died out when our planet's core tried to do a kickflip, and I'm the last remaining member due to our inability to reproduce so maybe we weren't exactly made with intelligent design in mind to begin with...

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Alien Biology

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus