Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » How to write characters different from yourself?

The fun of writing for me lies in being able to explore things I'm unable to in reality but every now and then I hit a ceiling where I want to give a character an occupation or hobby that requires experience I just don't have. For example, I might get the urge to create a musician where their job is ingrained in the backstory and the prompt... but I don't even play any instruments. I could be writing a rockstar and want an interaction with my partner's character backstage to bond with them before a performance but I haven't ever been close to that scenario. I don't think it's right to avoid writing something for lack of knowledge (I mean I've never met a dragon or been into space) but I want to do sound believable and not just skip over huge parts.
It gets harder when it isn't just one skill but a whole lifestyle or mindset because of certain archetypes requiring specific settings or traits to be played, like a manipulative socialite in a medieval court or an evil mastermind where intelligence is a must.

So, basically, how would a great writer work around a character with a totally different skillset? How can you write someone (possibly much) smarter than yourself? Would you even attempt it?

I could stick to what I know but that's boring :P
Rogue-Scribe

I have noticed some players like to make characters for various roles that tend to resemble themselves, or at least resemble how they have described themselves. Nothing wrong with that, but I think it shows a lack of imagination if all the characters are all the same. I know a character of myself would be as you say, boring.

To get a character that is different than you, do Research. Do some study on the skill set you want to incorporate in a character. If you want to write an MI6 or CIA spy, look up the subject and read up. Musician? Pick some of your favourites and research their careers. etc. Pick some physical attributes and describe them as such and/or use a face/body claim.

Use what you find in developing a bit of a backstory and go forth and roleplay, using your imagination to embellish the stories. It's pretty much wide open as to what you can do with characters.

I personally use life experiences in a lot of my characters, but I have a few years of life under my belt. Still, imagination is a big part of it. It’s not whether you get it right as far as reality would see it, but imagining what it would be like. I never was in a band but I’ve worked as a roadie and know things about how it is, so use that. I’ve never been a spy but have read and saw how many world events have been affected and use that. You just have to research the subject a little and make up the rest while you have fun!
Google, google, google, definitely! If you don't know something, look it up! Read people's personal stories of doing these things! Basically everything Shadow-Ranger has said lol.
I start by googling and then end up going in a Wikipedia pit for the next hour at least. Of course Wiki is not the best source, but it tends to link to some really good stuff. I enjoy reading and learning so for me research is not a huge deal at all.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Do your homework and research. If you are doing a historical character be historically accurate. I've had characters it took a month to create. I am a musician so I know how to play one. I am a native American Lakota sioux so my characters that are indians are honorable and follow the traditions of my nation. Have fun most of all in your character creating and role-playing..

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » How to write characters different from yourself?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus