Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » California's Oldest State Park is GONE

MasterWinter

Hello all, Winter here.

Almost half an hour ago I got off the phone with my aunt. I asked her about how some cousin's of ours up in Santa Cruz (CA for those who might not know) were doing, as I learned from my former choir teacher's Facebook page that SC was on fire.

That's when she told me some sad news.

Big Basin Redwood State Park, a famous place to go camping...GONE. The fires up in CA destroyed it. My mom and I used to go there once a year for a week, religiously, and it's gone.

Report: California's Oldest State Park, Home To Majestic Coast Redwoods, Is 'Gone'

This saddens me greatly. I hadn't been to Big Basin in years. One of those: I wish I could go there one more time. I went camping there with my mom and my, at the time, bff. I got to help a park ranger count people with the counting clicker thing, when we gathered to listen to a story. I got to see wild life up close, even if the animals weren't alive. I even remember being able to see my first real raccoon there, because it was coming from behind our tent when walking past it. We literally stared at one another for at least a solid moment, and then the raccoon scurried away.

My aunt said that there are prisoners usually are on fire duty, but due to this covid stuff, they didn't keep prisoners around, and now there's not enough people around, and too many fires.

I'm still reeling at the thought that such a great place, that held many memories for me, is gone. And it makes me wish I hadn't been an idiot, when I was back in CA and getting rid of most of my stuff that I couldn't/didn't want to keep, and tossed away the images of me at Big Basin.

I know. What's done is done. But, geeze. This is a right shame.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

This is so sad and upsetting.😡😠💔💔
MasterWinter Topic Starter

LakotaSiouxWarrior wrote:
This is so sad and upsetting.😡😠💔💔

Very much so! I'm still floored by this news.
I'm so shocked that I had no idea that this happened. I remember going to see the redwoods many years ago. It was such a beautiful state park. These are the kind of casualties people forget can happen. Its true that it can regrow but it won't be the same if the most ancient trees end up gone forever.

Murkysoulwaters wrote:
I'm so shocked that I had no idea that this happened. I remember going to see the redwoods many years ago. It was such a beautiful state park. These are the kind of casualties people forget can happen.

That is so very true. There was a post from Twitter that surfaced on FB, saying that some of the big redwoods are still standing but scorched. Not sure if its true, not because I don't want to believe but I'm not on Twitter, but it's just. Dang.
Yeah. An ancient forest like that has surely survived some large fires before but it will be different now. Hopefully the park can bounce back even if only a few trees survive.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Some of the 2,000 year old trees survived. Still California is a showcase of global warming. The hottest temperature ever recorded 130+. Rolling blackouts intense lightning storms.

LakotaSiouxWarrior wrote:
Some of the 2,000 year old trees survived. Still California is a showcase of global warming. The hottest temperature ever recorded 130+. Rolling blackouts intense lightning storms.

Good that some of the trees survived. Good grief, all that's going on for them? I'm sorry my aunt still lives there, and I'm sorry for any RPR people living there, but glad I got out of there.
Torag1000

Well... shit. I guess some things don't really last forever and the next thing you know, they're gone just like that. It's too bad it's gone. Never been there and never really heard of it because I never really went to America, but I can only imagine how devastated people are to find it gone forever and wishing they had spent more time in the place. :/ Part of me knows that feeling, partially. Still I'm sorry for that :(

Torag1000 wrote:
Well... shit. I guess some things don't really last forever and the next thing you know, they're gone just like that. It's too bad it's gone. Never been there and never really heard of it because I never really went to America, but I can only imagine how devastated people are to find it gone forever and wishing they had spent more time in the place. :/ Part of me knows that feeling, partially. Still I'm sorry for that :(

Yeah it's no fun that something so old and memorable is gone like that. But good news is there are some trees still standing. They are scorched, but still standing. So hopefully a good sign.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » California's Oldest State Park is GONE

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus