Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Job ideas or am I wasting my time?

Angelus-Relator

Warning: depressive talking.

Due to weakened immunity, I cannot work retail, which is most of the jobs around here. 90% of people judge me, which makes it impossible to get and keep a job.

I'm gonna try to apply for disability, but hate the fact that I need to get money from the state.

I want to start my own business, but not sure if it's worth it as no one, not even my friends have shown interest. I'm thinking of trying out a storytelling and poetry YouTube channel, but I doubt anyone will watch or care.

Any other ideas or am I wasting my time in thinking I'm supposed to succeed and mean something on this planet?

Sorry for the self demeaning talk, just got slammed this morning by nonsense.
Angelus-Relator wrote:
Warning: depressive talking.

Due to weakened immunity, I cannot work retail, which is most of the jobs around here. 90% of people judge me, which makes it impossible to get and keep a job.

I'm gonna try to apply for disability, but hate the fact that I need to get money from the state.

I want to start my own business, but not sure if it's worth it as no one, not even my friends have shown interest. I'm thinking of trying out a storytelling and poetry YouTube channel, but I doubt anyone will watch or care.

Any other ideas or am I wasting my time in thinking I'm supposed to succeed and mean something on this planet?

Sorry for the self demeaning talk, just got slammed this morning by nonsense.

First of all, *hugs you tight.* I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged; it happens to us all sometimes.

Okay, I've got some potential ideas.

* substitute teaching

* driving for uber, even if it's just Uber Eats, where you don't have to actually pick up any humans, GrubHub, etc

* Instacart

*Call center job

*Work at the post office

*bookstore/library

*Transcription

* I don't think there's anything wrong with applying for disability and then "meaning something" by doing volunteer work.

Like, walking/playing with dogs at an animal shelter, working a soup kitchen, doing Red Cross, or delivering meals on wheels, or something.

However, often it takes twice or more times to get approved. And sometimes it helps you get a disability attorney who takes the case pro-bono.
Angelus-Relator Topic Starter

I am going to be working with an organization to help me apply and get accepted.

I am also going to be working on either a story or a poem to post to YouTube.
Good. Goood.

25297.png

Yeah. My brain wasn't in a good place before, then I get slammed with that lovely info.......

Thank you for the suggestions, wish the library one was available right now.

I am trying to get myself back on a normal schedule for my physical and mental health. Gotta love insomnia though...yay...
If you are going to try doing YouTube mu suggestion is r/NoSleep or some other reddit reading. People tend to gravitate to those as they are able to consume the content they like while also doing things like driving, taking car of the kids, or otherwise using their hands and eyes on another task.
Libraries don't hire very often anyway. They primarily rely on volunteers. I've volunteered in a couple different systems myself.
The thing is: if you don't try then you'll never know. We can't assume what will succeed and what will fail in life -- and if we do, we set up barriers for ourselves before we've even tried. There is a chance things will fail and fall through: but like Dyson, like Branson, like all the people we see as successful have failed, many, many times. But it's always one HELL of a journey! It's always a learning experience.

People rely far too much on immediate gratification, success needs commitment, success is a long, consistent habits. Consistent content. Consistency and patience.

Don't do it for anyone else--for 'vanity' metrics like likes/subscribers, do it because it's what you want to do. Your content & efforts will be noticed, but you have to keep doing it in order for that to happen!

You can do it, I believe in you.

Thank you guys. And don't worry wilts, I'm doing it to see if it's a good way to get side money. As well as a possible hobby/ "job"

Got a video made, but it's not the right format for YouTube.
Def scope out the small business idea. My friends aren’t interested in my hobbies but many other people are.

You could try ghost writing or maybe doing some photo editing work online. Check out some classes on Coursea etc to see what might interest you.

Maybe you can create something that helps other people going through similar circumstances? People make money doing the weirdest things. You could make dice for dnd or dice bags or something similar. Check out what’s on Etsy
No one has the right to condemn a person for his choice, even an unconscious one. It is a forced measure, not a whim. My daughter, too, will come to the point where she will receive money from the state. Right now, I'm her guardian, her mother. But then she'll do it on her own, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's not her fault. If you want to run your channel, that's fine. But it doesn't bring in a lot of money. I've found some night jobs that help me spend the day with my daughter. She has diabetes, and she can count on my help. The nanny stays with her at night, so it's just me when she's awake. True, we sleep together during the day, but there is no way without a daytime nap. Then she goes to school, and I can sleep in the morning until she comes home.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Job ideas or am I wasting my time?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus