Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Need Artist's opinion on reference for commission

First off, I do my best to avoid stealing art and none of the references or artwork on my profiles is stolen.

Now I'm hoping to make a commission for a character for a pokemon tabletop RPG that has ghost powers. Now I want to use the trainer image of the ghost power related trainer as a reference, but not in the normal way. I don't want to copy anything from the artwork, more of I just want to use it as an example for the sort of "feel" I want for the character. Basically I want the character to look spooky/creepy, but not evil. I just think that the image I want to use does a good job of showing that and would help show exactly what I have in mind.

I'll show you the image mentioned here so you can see what I mean. It is from the Game of Throhs pokemon tabletop RPG book btw.
Click here

So all the lovely artists here, do you think it would be ok to use it as a reference in this way? I want to know before I write a commission ad for the site I intend to use.
As far as I’m concerned, that sounds fine! As an artist who takes commissions, I’m always appreciative of clients who can, if they don’t have a reference sheet of the character themself, provide a visual aid along with a text description.

Make it clear in your ad that you don’t want that design to be copied in any way. And if it’s possible, maybe provide a couple more images that have the same or similar aesthetic so the artist has multiple sources to draw inspiration from- it’s harder to accidentally copy something when you can cross-reference from several sources.

Hope my input helps! <3
Short answer: Yes. It's fine.

Long answer: Artists often times like to know what you are going for and what you are influenced by to understand the direction that a piece is going to take them. Using it as a reference for general feel is fine! As Dragon said, make sure that the artists knows that that is what you like in terms of general aesthetic, but not as far as the rest of the piece goes. When you are constructing your image in your mind try to be as clear as possible, don't rely on references to portray your inner thoughts as they can only go so far. Make sure to share your thoughts on each reference. I promise you aren't going to come across as needy or demanding, artists rely on clear instruction from you to know what you are looking for and if they have ideas and opinions will speak up to offer you other avenues if they think it will make a more cohesive piece.

Below are my reference image requirements, I suggest attempting to find real life examples over using art from others and have them ready all in one place. If you can give this to the artist you are looking for, filled out the best you can, I'm sure they will be able to work with you to create your own spooky ghost commission. (Multiples are always welcomed. Good references are often from multiple angles , and clear, as in not cut off to only show half of what is desired. If you like one part of something and want it included but don't like others make sure to elaborate, such as hypothetically "I like the color and style of this dress but do not want the large bow on the back." Or "I like this armor style, but do not want the attached hood or cape to be part of the image" Include as many parts as possible that are applicable to the picture you are looking to get.)

**1.) Skin Color:** <direct image link here>
**2.) Hair Color:** <direct image link here>
**3.) Hair Style:** <direct image link here>
**4.) Eye Color:** <direct image link here>
**5.) Torso shape:** <direct image link here>
**6.) Arms:** <direct image link here>
**7.) Bust:** <direct image link here>
**8.) Legs:** <direct image link here>
**9.) Face shape:** <direct image link here>
**10.) Expression:** <direct image link here>
**11.) Clothing/Armor:** <direct image link here>
**12.) Weapons:** <direct image link here>
**13.) Pose:** <direct image link here>

I hope this helps!
Katia Topic Starter

Thank you very much you two and I really appreciate knowing that it is ok. Looks like I'll make to make up that ad for my comission tomorrow!

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Need Artist's opinion on reference for commission

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus