Skip to main content

Forums » Help » Guestbook Question

Adelise (played anonymously)

So I had wanted to move my guestbook from my stats page, to my landing page (it was cluttering the bottom). Turns out, I just ended up deleting it entirely.

1. Is there a way to restore it?
2. Is there a proper way to move the location of the guestbook without deleting it?

Thanks!
Sanne Moderator

I'm afraid that if you deleted the widget, you removed all its contents too! :( You can ask Kim if it's possible to restore it, but I'd have to say it's probably a no!

In the future, if you want to move a widget (any widget!) to another page, just click, drag and drop it to the new pagename at the top (above Edit the page layout of this profile). That will move it directly. :)
Adelise (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
I'm afraid that if you deleted the widget, you removed all its contents too! :( You can ask Kim if it's possible to restore it, but I'd have to say it's probably a no!

In the future, if you want to move a widget (any widget!) to another page, just click, drag and drop it to the new pagename at the top (above Edit the page layout of this profile). That will move it directly. :)

Bah, I was afraid you would say that!

I never had issues moving something because you can generally pull out a duplicate widget (which was the case with the kudos). When I figured I would do the same with the guestbook, there isn't an option to make a guestbook if you already have one existing. That's where I got confused and thought I had to delete it, and replace it on the other page. Maybe something should point that out, or tweak in the future for other users so they don't run into similar issues? (Or am I the only one who ever ran into this issue? z_z)
Sanne Moderator

If we were to make any changes/explain better that we have a move function, my suggestion to Kim would be to include "Are you sure you want to delete it? You can move the widget by drag-and-dropping it on another page" in the pop-up confirmation.

The only problem I see with this is that 19 out of 20 people never read these messages, so I'm not entirely sure how effective they would be. But it wouldn't hurt elaborating this function, for sure!
Kim Site Admin

You are definitely not the only person who didn't realize you could drag a widget to another page. This is tragic not only because it results in occasional lost guestbooks, but because figuring out how I could offer that feature felt like organizing the logistics to move Mt. Everest two feet to the right. XD

You're right that the deletion message could be clearer for guestbooks. I will definitely look into that the next time I get a chance. I'm really really sorry that you had this happen to you, I know how freaking frustrating losing data is.

I will try to take a peek at the backups and see if I can locate and retrieve your guestbook data, but no promises yet. >.>
Kim Site Admin

I found and restored the comments that you had as of 1am on Sep 28. :)
Aaaand Super Kim saves the day again!
Adelise (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
I found and restored the comments that you had as of 1am on Sep 28. :)

Nice thing to come home, to Kim. thanks a lot :} I wasn't expecting it so it made the surprise even better!
Kim Site Admin

You're welcome! :D
Karkadann (played anonymously)

I am having an issue with my guestbook. I went to look at it and it seems all the entries have been deleted. It says there are no entries when I have had tons. What happened? I haven't touched it!
Sanne Moderator

Karkadann wrote:
I am having an issue with my guestbook. I went to look at it and it seems all the entries have been deleted. It says there are no entries when I have had tons. What happened? I haven't touched it!

That's very strange! Kim's very busy this weekend, but if you submit a bug report she'll look into it when she has time.

You are on: Forums » Help » Guestbook Question

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus