Skip to main content

Forums » Looking for RP » Gritty medieval low fantasy, war themes (closed)

This Looking For RP topic is marked as closed, meaning it is no longer seeking new players.

The Hanged Man (played anonymously)

Starter post here.

Hey everyone. I dropped a random post on the public fantasy forum. The scene is my character waking up injured on a battlefield. It's medieval fantasy, but beyond that I don't have a lot of details set. I dunno what the sides are in the battle, what they're fighting about, etc. Your character can be a soldier from the enemy side taking Hangman as a POW, a comrade or maybe a medic, someone looting bodies and decides to help him, etc.
Magic 50%
Magic is rare, but not unheard of. Mundane characters may or may not believe in it. Magical characters may form small and exclusive pockets for study, protection, etc.
Technology 30%
Renaissance
Combat 80%
Wartime/soldier RPs. Combat is a given and will likely be graphic, but there's the potential for non-combat "in the trenches" scenes. World War 2, Vietnam, etc.
Romance 30%
Some romance is possible, but the overall plot is more important.

Details: Freeform, adjustable length posts, Will be played with a small group of players.

I've got my eye on this rp, but I'm not sure who to throw in just yet. Still have to think about it somewhat...
Your character can be

1. a soldier from the enemy side taking Hangman as a POW
2. a comrade
3. maybe a medic
4. someone looting bodies and decides to help him, etc.
rolled 1d4 and got a natural 1.
The Hanged Man (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Always good to have the both of youse along for the ride!
So, only light magic? Should have a good amount of characters that should work.

Yeah, I don't wanna play with instant healing spells or teleportation or anything like that. I usually prefer settings where magic is a big deal that not many people have! It sounds like Tus is playing a soldier from the opposing side of this skirmish and may take Hangman as a prisoner, but they haven't posted yet so I dunno for sure. Feel free to post in if you'd like, Nightmare :)
The Hanged Man wrote:
Yeah, I don't wanna play with instant healing spells or teleportation or anything like that. I usually prefer settings where magic is a big deal that not many people have! It sounds like Tus is playing a soldier from the opposing side of this skirmish and may take Hangman as a prisoner, but they haven't posted yet so I dunno for sure. Feel free to post in if you'd like, Nightmare :)

Since this is your RP... I am not sure if you wanted to keep control of the bad side or not

shall I play the leader/s from the bad side?
or just a random soldier finding YC?
The Hanged Man wrote:

I would like to try the concept of 'magic by penalty'

There is the 1 healer that can save you but at a heavy cost to you or someone you love/care about.

- crippled or cursed in some form

Yes, he/she saved a life but .... partially blind/deaf, clumsy, no longer good at (a strong skill set lost), stammer, memory loss, etc. which limits considering to use it
May I join

Tusitala2017 wrote:
The Hanged Man wrote:

Since this is your RP... I am not sure if you wanted to keep control of the bad side or not

shall I play the leader/s from the bad side?
or just a random soldier finding YC?

Hmm, how about you play whoever is in charge of the battalion that just won this battle? So not the entire side, but one military leader with a couple thousand troops that are set up in a camp. They've just won this fight but the war still goes on. I'm picturing the war being over territory. The aggressors aren't excessively evil, they just want to expand their borders to better feed their people, etc. Or maybe they used to control this land, generations ago, and want it back. Hangman is fighting for the defenders, but I know I don't want there to be a "good" side and a "bad" side. Sound good to you? :D

As for the magic ... it's a great concept and I'd be interested in looking into it later in the RP, but I intended Hangman's injuries to be severe but survivable (maybe not for a normal person, but he is capable of taking a lot of damage). You know I love to RP him all banged up. XD We can see where things go!
dantefrancis wrote:
May I join

Let's see! What sort of role would you like to fill? Do you have a character you'd like to use?
Looks great, may I join on this party as well?

Cactus_Jones wrote:
Looks great, may I join on this party as well?

Which character would you be playing? Do you know how you'd fit them in?
I intend to use the Venerio but probably without his magic and he is likely to be on the side of the Attackers.
Mainyr (played anonymously)

Hello there! Mainyr here is still very much a WIP but I'm looking to flesh her out some and this looks like an interesting way to do so. She's a wanderer/adventurer mostly so she probably wouldn't be on either side of the fighting, but I imagine she'd go out afterwards and try to help anyone that needs it.
I see several people have shown interest already and I don't know how big of a group you wanted, so if you've got enough players already just let me know ;3
Neo Angelo (played by dantefrancis)

I think Neo could work well.

He's the type to help out the surviors while fight the Attackers.He really the type to shy from a fight either.
So, I could play one of my musically-inclined characters, or I could play one of my characters hiding the fact that he has magic? I can also just not use their powers at all.

Cactus_Jones wrote:
I intend to use the Venerio but probably without his magic and he is likely to be on the side of the Attackers.
Okay, that works! That means Tus would likely be playing as Venerio's superior officer. If that works for you, would you want to post now as the one searching for prisoners amongst the bodies, so Venerio finds Hangman? :)

Mainyr wrote:
Hello there! Mainyr here is still very much a WIP but I'm looking to flesh her out some and this looks like an interesting way to do so. She's a wanderer/adventurer mostly so she probably wouldn't be on either side of the fighting, but I imagine she'd go out afterwards and try to help anyone that needs it.
I see several people have shown interest already and I don't know how big of a group you wanted, so if you've got enough players already just let me know ;3
Hello! I like the look of her. I think the RP is pretty full by now, but if there's an opening I'll PM you!

Neo Sparda wrote:
I think Neo could work well.

He's the type to help out the surviors while fight the Attackers.He really the type to shy from a fight either.
Hmm, he doesn't fit the aesthetic, I think. I'm leaning more into realistic low fantasy, and definitely it is strictly medieval.
Mainyr (played anonymously)

Thanks! Y'all have fun ;3
What about Joesph?
Enthlyi (played by Iltheyn)

I was wondering if this character might be a good addition, if acting as a mercenary. I will, of course, assume that some of his more fantastical traits are not present. I don't want to say what that might be, but there are hints in the profile. Needless to say, he will not be like that. He would just be a soldier of fortune and archer.

I figure it'd make sense for him to be sorting through the bodies if he's on the attacker's side (being an archer and all). But honestly, I usually put him on whatever side of a conflict that's losing. So I guess it could go either way, he could be present on either side. That and his lowborn status means I don't have to worry about the big details like I tend to with noble characters.

Also I read that you said it was full; I wasn't sure if you were still anticipating me to suggest a character though, so no worries if I posted too late.

You are on: Forums » Looking for RP » Gritty medieval low fantasy, war themes (closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus