Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Living with ADHD

I figured that I’d put input into this little game, and thus, I have always lived with ADHD, so, ask me anything about it! I can answer to the best of my abilities.
Kim Site Admin

When did you realize you had/might have ADHD? What emotions did you experience as a result of that revelation?
Hi!
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn a little about living with ADHD :)

Do you feel than there are a lot of misconceptions about living with ADHD?
If there anything you struggle more or less with focusing on because of your ADHD?
AgitoAceXIII Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
When did you realize you had/might have ADHD? What emotions did you experience as a result of that revelation?

Well, it’s just always been there, but we noticed it while I was in the 1st grade, so, being a tiny kid, I probably didn’t care.

LittleLilac wrote:
Hi!
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn a little about living with ADHD :)

Do you feel than there are a lot of misconceptions about living with ADHD?

You know, there are some misconceptions, but I’m not sure how many. Not sure if I’ve had to prove anything about it either. Haha.

MercyInReach wrote:
If there anything you struggle more or less with focusing on because of your ADHD?

Yes! I struggle with doing tasks I don’t like to do or don’t *want* to do. Admittedly, if I love to do something, I focus on that, thus, “hyperfocusing”. This hyperfocusing makes it hard to multitask too.
Do you have any particular strategies for dealing the executive dysfunction when it's important to get things done?
sarah18394729

so, when I was three my doctor diagnosed me with ADHD, ADD and Bipolar, and a few others over the years but the questions my mother mostly really wanted to question about was ADHD and so since you're older than me here are the ones, my mother wrote down on a piece of paper.

What's involved in finding out if my child has ADHD?
What are the treatments for ADHD and how will I know if the treatments are working?
What are the possible side effects of different ADHD medications?
What types of therapy may help?
Do exercise, sleep, and diet make a difference in ADHD?
What can I do to help my child succeed in school?
Are there any supplements or no-prescription ("over-the-counter") medications to take or avoid?
How do I explain my child's diagnosis to my child, friends, and family?
How long will my child need to be on medication or can they outgrow the symptoms?
Where can I find support and more resources?
What is ADHD?
What’s the difference between ADD and ADHD?
How do I find a doctor or mental health professional?
What other conditions can occur with ADHD?
How is ADHD treated?
What do I need to know about carrying my medication?
Can someone with ADHD join the military?

Zelphyr wrote:
Do you have any particular strategies for dealing the executive dysfunction when it's important to get things done?

Hmm....I try to motivate myself into doing it.

sarah18394729 wrote:
so, when I was three my doctor diagnosed me with ADHD, ADD and Bipolar, and a few others over the years but the questions my mother mostly really wanted to question about was ADHD and so since you're older than me here are the ones, my mother wrote down on a piece of paper.

What's involved in finding out if my child has ADHD?
What are the treatments for ADHD and how will I know if the treatments are working?
What are the possible side effects of different ADHD medications?
What types of therapy may help?
Do exercise, sleep, and diet make a difference in ADHD?
What can I do to help my child succeed in school?
Are there any supplements or no-prescription ("over-the-counter") medications to take or avoid?
How do I explain my child's diagnosis to my child, friends, and family?
How long will my child need to be on medication or can they outgrow the symptoms?
Where can I find support and more resources?
What is ADHD?
What’s the difference between ADD and ADHD?
How do I find a doctor or mental health professional?
What other conditions can occur with ADHD?
How is ADHD treated?
What do I need to know about carrying my medication?
Can someone with ADHD join the military?

1. Well, it’s kind of hard for me to remember, being how the official diagnosis was dropped when I was first grade.
2. Mostly, it’s medicines like Adderall. You’ll find that you’re more focused, I guess?
3. Hmm....Well, I struggled with metabolism as a kid, so I found it hard to gain weight at all.
4. Good question! I’ve never really needed therapy.
5. Yes, it does! There is a link in ADHD and insomnia, so sleep does help.
6. Well, I’m not a parent so I can’t answer this one good. XD
7. Well, I’ve found that caffeine does the same as the meds.
8. Well, you shouldn’t need to unless it’s important? Again, not really a parent so I can’t answer that well.
9. It really does depend. I was on meds for at least 17 years.
10. I haven’t looked into this, but the internet can surely help.
11. Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder is a disorder that starts mainly in childhood. As of now, there is no “known” cause.
12. I’m not sure, I’ve never needed one?
13. There’s a lot of things: OCD, clinical depression, clinical anxiety, insomnia, autism, etc. Usually there’s one or more other underlying condition.
14. It really depends on how severe it is.
15. Well, nothing much. I had to take my meds once a day.
16. Hell yeah, you can!

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Living with ADHD

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus