Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA - Former White Water Canoe instructor

If some people grew up with heroes that were cowboys or knights, I guess my heroes were the explorers that helped forge and discover trade routes by the many waterways of Quebec in Canada. Having two older brothers and wanting to keep up with them lead me to start learning canoeing at the age of eight in the summer camp where we were sent by our parents. I was proud to be the youngest girl to be part of an all girls team to head out for two nights and three days, crossing mostly lakes and calm rivers at that time.

It would be later on as part of a physical education course in C.E.G.E.P or junior college that I started white water canoeing. I learned a great deal from trial and error before I went on to teach the skills I learned to other youth interested in learning. If you have any questions, please ask, away.
You must encounter a lot of beautiful scenery. Which has been most memorable?
Falyn Topic Starter

I have and many times I regretted not having a camera with me. :)

The colours in the autumn has been the most breath taking, but unexpected encounters with wildlife is a real joy. One of the latest I went was in early November, wearing a wet suit of course. The first snow had fallen and my friends and I came upon a family of moose. The female was resting with her two young and the huge male watching over them had a full set off antlers. Once in the late spring we had curious river otters swimming around us as we went down the St-Charles River.
It sounds like a lot of fun, Falyn! :)

Are the canoes built differently than ones that would be used on calmer waters?
Falyn Topic Starter

Yes, a lake canoe will have a v-bottom or keel to offer more stability, while a river canoe does not have a keel. River canoes need to be maneuverable and swift when taking the proper v-shape current and avoiding rocks both seen and under the water's surface. :) The rounder the bottom, the more maneuverable it is, but also the less stable it will be on calm waters.
Salut! My Québécois French is awful so I'll leave it there.

Have you ever had any close calls while canoeing? Or any situations where you thought "uh oh"?
Falyn Topic Starter

I appreciate the effort Yersinia et bonjour! :)

I have, the worst was ending up in the hospital because of heatstroke and exhaustion. I had been exposed to the hot sun for over three days, I did not drink enough water. My regular duo partner and I were separated because another team was not working out in the group and I ended up tipping over with my new partner for the last part of the expedition which probably exhausted the last of my physical reserves having to swim in class 3 rapid and high current until I was hauled out. I collapsed hours later and went into convulsions. I had to spend the night at the hospital with tubes to get hydrated again.

In hind-sight I should have insisted that I was not well enough and could not handle steering with a new partner.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA - Former White Water Canoe instructor

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus