Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Self Published & In Progress Author

A lot of people consider Self Publishing to be 'last resort' when in reality these days it's one of the best options for the average person who wants to be an author and publish their short stories, poems and novels.

A disclaimer: I have self published one book, and am in the process of self publishing another in spring of 2021, so I do not have dozens of books under my belt, but I've been writing my whole life and eventually decided to not just set sights on a goal of a career as an author but actually work my butt off to make it happen.

Despite my somewhat small and in progress experience, I believe what I know and have experience with might still be helpful and interesting to hear.

Ask away!
Auberon Moderator

Where can one acquire your self-published book? Also, what would you say is the greatest challenge of a self-published author?
Kim Site Admin

What have you tried to market your self published book? What was the most effective tactic so far? :)
MercyInReach Topic Starter

Auberon wrote:
Where can one acquire your self-published book? Also, what would you say is the greatest challenge of a self-published author?

Hi thanks for asking <3 The first book I first published was in 2016 is no longer up as the website it was published through doesn't exist anymore! It also did not go as well as it could have. I've spend the time since then educating myself and learning a lot more about what I did wrong, right, and becoming a better writer as well as researching publishing options to the fullest extent. However, the book I am publishing in spring 2021 I will probably be screaming about from the top of my lungs and link here and anywhere else.

The biggest challenge for me has been feeling sort of alone in the process. Finding good beta options, affordable editing, and being able to get feedback can be difficult especially when you're new and you tend to feel like you're in your own little bubble. Not being able to get enough feedback and help in the process can make for a lot of doubt about what you're working on and not being certain if it's ready to go out.
MercyInReach Topic Starter

Kim wrote:
What have you tried to market your self published book? What was the most effective tactic so far? :)

The first book I published (though no longer available) I did not go very much marketing for as I had not researched enough; but now, I have run even a few ads just about the up and coming book to get people to follow my author pages and such so that they will know when the book is available for preorder and regular order.

What I have had the most success with is marketing for my page and the concept in general and then being active in showing the process of the upcoming book so people feel involved. I will definitely update at some point with how the specific marketing of the pre-order for my new book goes in comparison to just marketing a 'soon to preorder' book.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » AMA: Self Published & In Progress Author

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus