Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » What makes a furcadia dream go round?

Cayson (played anonymously)

I've been trying to develop my own furcadian dream for a while. It is to be a medieval fantasy dream with few restrictions to magic and character creation, or magic. I would really like for it to embody 'Let your imagination soar'. IT would also be a small village dream with a wooded area and a cave, and perhaps a river, or a selection of ponds.
My question though is this, what makes a dream live? I've tried before and my ideas seem never to lift off. And I really want a dream where the characters make the world, not one where the players and the administration make the world. IF that makes sense. So what do you think?
I think there is no true theory behind the mechanics of a dream. To me it's just make what your mind comes with and roll with it. If it goes good then it does. If not oh well. Some of it is a bit of a patience game however.
The concept and execution are some of the most important factors, probably. Not many people will hang around if there's something about your dream's build or patches that they don't like. Naturally, you can't make a dream appeal to everyone without turning it into a huge mess but you can do your best to make a nice look, cohesive map that's fun to play in.

Another thing people look for is something that stands out. You want to make a nice little village, but remember that there are other nice little villages out there. You need something that'll set you apart and bring some pop to your dream. It doesn't have to be something big, just that little something that will make a good impression and make people remember your dream.

Getting the word out is pretty important too! Word of mouth or advertising, whatever gets the name out!

But even with all those things, it's not guaranteed that you'll make it big. But it isn't always about making it big. Having a dream filled with people you enjoy hanging out with and/or RPing with is the most important part!
This might not be exactly what you're asking for but there has been a few discussion on the Furcadia Forums.

What Does It Take For A Dream To Be "popular"?, The physics of a dream community.

What Turns You Off Of Dreams These Days?

You mentioned... "I really want a dream where the characters make the world, not one where the players and the administration make the world."
To what degree? Multi-universe? Modern characters okay? I know you mentioned it'd be a village based around magic. I understand not wanting to limit people with being creative but what sort of rules would have to avoid things turning chaotic?
Is the village a place of refuge from all over, all universes, all types of magic? What is keeping these characters from not descending into utter chaos with their magic.. what about the possibility of 'twinking' or 'god-moding' when people can be all powerful?

I guess what I am saying is that I don't know enough about what you're wanting to do to give advice. XD
Cayson (played anonymously) Topic Starter

Thank you for your replies ^^

Well my plan for action against twinks and such is to take action as it comes along. And my plan for modern characters or even futuristic characters is to allow them, if they have a reason to be there. IE time travel, or inter-dimensional travel. I mena you couldn't walk from LA and then suddenly find yourself in the dream.

And those link you posted, I have already looked at. I was just looking for more advice.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » What makes a furcadia dream go round?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus