Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » What's the point in Rping when people just split??

MacieLightfoot

Since i have come here... to this site... I spent lots of time aiming to create some amazing Rp's. Really amazing. But i have come to find that every time that i happen to turn around. Every time i see on getting my RP's out there... Spreading them around... People back away from them... OR just ignore them all together. I really don't know what to say except that if this doesn't soon change... i will leave and take my rp's... Saying the hell with all. Because i am so tired of my rp's being blown off. I am sick of it. And i won't tolerate it anymore. I know that people from time to time have their own Rp's blown off or ignored. It happens. But mines get that sort of treatment all the time regardless. It always happens and i am beyond sick and tired of it. Beyond sick and tired of it.

If that's a problem... Tell me now. tell me.
JetStorm

Maybe they're busy with real life problems,like school,or college. Sometimes life comes before an rp,most people on this site are young people still in school. Some might be busy coping with stress,while some are probably figuring out how to reply to an rp forum. As said before,rping isn't very important,its just something to do in one's spare time,reason why I haven't replied is because I'm trying to cope with stress and that I have a lot of school work to catch up on.
MacieLightfoot Topic Starter

JetStorm wrote:
Maybe they're busy with real life problems,like school,or college. Sometimes life comes before an rp,most people on this site are young people still in school. Some might be busy coping with stress,while some are probably figuring out how to reply to an rp forum. As said before,rping isn't very important,its just something to do in one's spare time,reason why I haven't replied is because I'm trying to cope with stress and that I have a lot of school work to catch up on.

Well... Okay. When you happen to be open and free... And with no stress and all... Feel free to return.
JetStorm

MacieLightfoot wrote:
JetStorm wrote:

Well... Okay. When you happen to be open and free... And with no stress and all... Feel free to return.

I will. I might be able to on Monday.
Jeremy Kelly Lightfoot (played by MacieLightfoot) Topic Starter

JetStorm wrote:
MacieLightfoot wrote:
JetStorm wrote:

I will. I might be able to on Monday.

Monday is shall be then. Trying to get some more people to join in As well... But not having any luck. Plus... Spirithero backed out. And won't at least do the courtesy of writing himself/herself out of the RP. So... that point is gonna be fractured. But we need a couple or so joiners to our thing... So far... No one's biting.
Rogue-Scribe

Just an observation here. Publicly posting this sort of thing will likely not help your cause to get people to join your RP.
JetStorm

Instead of focusing on just one particular rp,try private messaging people that you know who are online,maybe ask them to rp as ya wait for someone to reply to the public forum. I know waiting sucks,believe me,I had to wait a full year to see one of my rp partners again,off topic,anyway, try something a bit different,maybe create a group or join a group. You don't have to sit around and wait for someone on a public forum.
I've written at least several rp prompts and while some garnered enough attention for me to warrant writing them, others have not. Some died off fast and no one ever seemed to show much interest, while others sat for months before someone posted on it, then all of a sudden the prompt was quite popular. Thing is, forum RP, by nature, is a slower process. I'm not entirely sure how long you've waited, but I'd suggest waiting some time before considering leaving RPR.

It's also important to note that everyone's interests differ. An RP I might think is amazing might hold no interest for another member, and it'd be unfair of me to hold a mindset where I expected others to be interested.

The incredible Zelphyr has some available resources regarding ghosting and checking in at a link you can find here. It's an incredible thread worth the read.

One last suggestion I might make, and this is something you may have already done, is clearly defining your expectations as far as post rate when starting an RP with someone.

I really hope this helps. Honestly the RPR community is one of the best communities out there, and I am referring to communities beyond RP even. Shoutout to Kim and the Mods for building and maintaining this incredible site.
Rogue-Scribe wrote:
Just an observation here. Publicly posting this sort of thing will likely not help your cause to get people to join your RP.

Depends: I actually respect someone who has the guts to say "uncomfortable truths" about a particular aspect of the RP World, and I'm pretty sure I can't be the only thinking this.

Plus some people that were scared off by this statement could be, statically talking, people who would do the exact things she talked out of... habit, I could say?

As a personal opinion of mine: Real life will always have the priority over an RP (it should be), so you shouldn't have any hard feelings on this... but not sending a little message to the other partner (in this era of people writing novels on Whatsapp multiple times in the span of ten or twenty seconds), well, I think it's a disrespectful act towards the other partner, and that cannot be so simply excused (I struggle to believe all the people that ghosted in the RP world have such a poor memory).
Ah, yeah, that can hurt like hell, know that for sure. Though you'd prolly feel a lot better and save yourself the sadness by not taking it too personal; just because a person has a busier and more hectic life than you doesn't necessarily have to mean that they dislike you or what you do!

Best advice I can give for these instances is treasuring the OOC friendship too; keep them around, talk a bit and keep the connection warm, because then people would be way more eager to jump back into your RPs after their periods of business pass. RPing is not a one night-stand scenario, after all, it works far better if it's build around a solid writer-to-writer relationship. And take my word for it, all the OOC banter can be great fun too!
Rogue-Scribe

Ceg’s Quote & Post
Lord_Cegorach wrote:
Rogue-Scribe wrote:

Depends: I actually respect someone who has the guts to say "uncomfortable truths" about a particular aspect of the RP World, and I'm pretty sure I can't be the only thinking this.

Plus some people that were scared off by this statement could be, statically talking, people who would do the exact things she talked out of... habit, I could say?

As a personal opinion of mine: Real life will always have the priority over an RP (it should be), so you shouldn't have any hard feelings on this... but not sending a little message to the other partner (in this era of people writing novels on Whatsapp multiple times in the span of ten or twenty seconds), well, I think it's a disrespectful act towards the other partner, and that cannot be so simply excused (I struggle to believe all the people that ghosted in the RP world have such a poor memory).

As my original post was specifically addressing Marie’s obvious public passive-Aggresive way of calling out particular people in the exchange in the first four posts, my comment was brief and addressing that.

As there are squeeds of threads discussing ‘ghosting’ in general, I didn’t see this thread as yet another discussion of the subject. Based on how these sort of similar threads were handled here in the past, I was quite frankly surprised that this one was left to stand.

Since it does stand, and since you quote me directly and addressed what little I said as you did, I’ll just say to you that I will not engage you here as my personal thoughts on the general subject of ghosting and being ghosted. My personal views are clearly expressed elsewhere in the various other ghosting threads.

I will add that this particular OP’s issues with the people they were aiming this thread at could have been handled by private message, not by publicly calling out people both indirectly, and directly in one case.

Since I’m here, I may as well get deeper into the OP’s opener... I have seen their RP threads and participation in other threads in the general forum, and though their overall settings and character storylines presented are interesting and very creative, I personally don’t feel an attraction to participate in them or interact with them. I’m guessing others may feel the same way?

It is after all an individual choice to decide to engage with others in their presented storylines, and sometimes after committing to participate, one realises after a few posts that the scenario just isn’t going to work for them or the writing styles don’t mesh. The polite thing to do is to privately let them know, but some people are stressed about the direct conversation about dropping out after committing to an RP and takes the the path of least resistance.

If one’s RP ideas are consistently dropped by participants after a few posts, the issue is likely within the presented storyline and/or the presenting writer’s style and/or the characters they are writing and presenting. Maybe a bit of self-reflection and review is in order instead of publicly calling people out for dropping out of RPs. Maybe the whole character storyline is more suited for a written story by the creator instead of a collaborative roleplaying scenario?

That was more than my 2¢ on what was originally presented here by the OP.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » What's the point in Rping when people just split??

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus